BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews in Canada

excellent experience
Information Security (CLM) Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2016
Very nice company culture and interesting job.

Got experience in integrating and working with Log Management and Enterprise Security Event Management Systems (ArcSight, Splunk, HPAM), competent to combine event correlation and security analytics to identify threats and manage risk, and to conduct audit/compliance activities
Great employer
SrAdminAssistant & JrBusinessAnalyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 5, 2016
Large corporation environment with very little room for advancement, but offers full benefits package and competitive salary.
Manager (Project Delivery, PMO) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Good work place. Great opportunity for learning . Challenging projects to work with. Good Benefits. Secured Job. Good job culture. Highly co-operative employers
terrible
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 31, 2016
long hours very little pay for such an important building.didnt learn much. management was terrible, co-worker were okay but dont share what going on in your personal life with them, they will rat you out, hardest part of the job was the long hours. most enjoyable part was going home
Pros
no real work
Cons
managers and boss arent very good
very stressfull
Full-time CSR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
good place to learn; good benefits; low salary; unpaid long hours; difficult to move up if no connections to the right people even if you have good results; stressful environment
Great Workplace
Client Service & Solutions Delivery Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
BMO Capital Markets is a fun environment to work in. The atmosphere is fast paced and always challenging. There's a lot to learn and the prospects of growth and advancement is tremendous.
Pros
Challenging and always exciting
Cons
Stressful and Long Hours
Productive work place, excellent team.
Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONAugust 4, 2016
Fast paced work environment and challenging at times
I have build great customer base and knowledge of banking and how to meet clients needs by being attentive. I have learned the skill of listening and asking the appropriate questions. How to handle conflict efficiently. I have learned to manage peers and I have help build a team that works collaboratively together to exceed excellent customer service.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough time to help all the clients in the same day due to branch operating hours.
The most enjoyable part of my job is helping clients meet their financial goals and helping the branch succeed in their revenue targets. The interaction with people of all social races is exciting and fulfilling.
Pros
Engaging with clients and peers.
Cons
Could be very stressful at times.
Csr
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 7, 2016
BMO used to be a great place to work, but recently they've made cut backs and they have affected customers and staff that work in the branch, i don't believe a lot of customers are happy with Bmo but it would be to much of a hassle to move everything out !

There is Lots of pressure at work and management is the worst, definitely re think applying, a majority of staff that work there are looking to leave cause Bmo just doesn't seem to care about there own staff ! They just buy them, and then tell customers they retired

If you have a family with young children this is not a job for you especially if you are a single parent, you will work weekends and late evening if you are in branch.
Pros
Start early leave early, banking discounts
Cons
There is never overtime, if your owed time it's hard for them to compensate you for it.
Fun and fast paced
Personal Banking & MasterCard Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 9, 2015
BMO has taught me the importance of managing finance. I have learned to personally manage my own and the benefits of product knowledge.

Through my work experience I have strengthened my communication skills and had the opportunity to work in various departments. I've expanded my networking contacts and throughout the year have had the privilege of working with many wonderful colleagues in the same role and in management roles.
Pros
learning opportunities, networking
Cons
work advancement
would never work there again
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BCJune 23, 2016
My first day I was put on as a csr. After 1 hour my manager left me alone. I did have an awesome manager for the first 2 months but then he was transferred. My new boss new nothing about my job. He couldn't help me with any transactions as he didn't even know what windows to go into on the computer. He would never leave his office to come help me either or help any of the other csrs. I found all BMO cared about was up selling stuff to customers. Management didn't care at all about how long the lines got or how long they were standing in line. They were just concerned that we up sell to them. I had planned to stay with BMO till I retired but now I wouldn't recommend that bank to anyone. It's sad that they boast about great customer service but in reality they don't at all.
Pros
decent wage
Cons
No concern for customers
Management is a joke... (former BMO Investorline employee)
Investment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 6, 2016
Management at BMO are incompetent. Managers cannot even handle client escalations and spend most of their time passing escalations and work load to assistant managers instead. Most of the time my manager would be on the phone talking to friends/family in polish and would get stressed out when she had to take an excalation that she could not handle and would cry. Salary is not as competitive as compared to other FIs. Hiring practices are weird as based on my previous occupation they kept hiring employees with no investment experience or knowledge and no licenses which is ironic as they boast about quality customer service. Having incompetent staff only hurts the quality of customer service with long wait times and pointless transfers to other departments or licensed traders and and creates poor service. BMO doesnt make sense.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Salary is low, management is incompetent and lazy
Hostile environment, unapproachable management, don't waste your skills here
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 1, 2016
(Reviewing BMO Nesbitt Burns) For myself and on behalf of many colleagues, not a good experience at all. Short-sighted, tight-fisted, unapproachable managers caused great tension between groups and made it a hostile environment. The company preaches diversity and openness to new ideas, but the firm's actions say otherwise. Hard-working employees are not recognized and old, traditional ways of thinking are rewarded. For the love of god, don't work here and waste your skills in such a thankless environment!!
Pros
Benefits, share program, pension
Cons
Tight-fisted management, old way of thinking, hard work not recognized
micromanagment
Everyday Banking Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 7, 2016
If your on a call and lets say your assisting a senior citizen and they don't remember their passwords yet you secure their identity via other methods provided by BMO and the call ends up taking longer than 2 min that are required than why are their manager hovering over your shoulder to ask whats taking so long? if thats the case why not create an easier secure validation system that can make things easier for clients like seniors who eventually get frustrated trying to answer questions regarding their last 3 transactions.
Pros
good training program
Cons
no consecutive days off, micromanaged enviornment that doesn't allow reps to perform or be creative, very weak upper management, poorly run company from top to bottom
great people to work with
Personal Banking Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 5, 2016
call center, great people, banking, mastercard, work with many departments, learn a lot about money, good benefits, nice building to work in although there were no good lunch options (small cafeteria that closes early).
Pros
great people
Cons
micro management
Strong team environment and many opportunities to grow
Senior Man, Business Continuity (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 26, 2015
Strong team environment and many opportunities to grow. Strong risk management culture and diverse team members. Coworkers are very supportive and do their part when required.
Pros
Progressive staff
Cons
Frequent organizational changes
A challenging, busy work place, that provides the oppourtunity to feel that you have accomplished something each and everyday.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 7, 2016
As a long term associate with BMO, I have stayed in my current role as my greatest pleasure is with the interaction I get to have with my customers each and everyday.

With my tenure and history with BMO, I am frequently called upon to provide guidence and support to many of the staff and management with in my branch. It is a source of satisfaction to know that my knowledge is a valuable assest to the workplace. l
Worst place I ever worked at.
Fraud Analyst (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 16, 2016
The job write up sounds like you'd actually be analyzing something when in fact it's a glorified call center. Run like a slave shop where people don't matter. You're only in number.
Management can get away with anything they want including giving you your walking papers, they just call it not meeting the expectations of the job but they don't tell you specifically where you went wrong. You have to excel at everything or be close friends with management. They need a union badly to stop the unfairness. Unless you're desperate pass on this. BMO might be good in other departments but not this one.
Then they have coaching sessions that leave you feeling like you're a piece of dirt when it's done and you can get these weekly. Definitely not worth any money they would want to pay.
Pros
Benefits and people I worked with.
Cons
Unfair treatment, unjust firings, harassment, bullying in the workplace, pretty much everything.
productive
Credit Risk Management analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2016
a typical day at work, at time stress can be high, very welcoming job culture, co-workers are really nice. No set schedule therefore if you are finished with your projects, you can relax, go out for coffee or at times even go home early.
Pros
lots of employee interaction
Cons
stress
Customer Service with security
Garda Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 2, 2015
- Access Control
- Customer Service
- Normal Patrols
- Writing Reports
- Alarm Testing

Working at the BMO as a GardaWorld Security Officer is great. You get tons of experience in the corporate security aspect. You get to deal with a lot of incidents such as, medical emergencies, access control rejects, patrols, alarms, etc. The hardest part of this job are the 7 day straight work schedule, it could be either day shifts or nights. But you get use to it and it becomes easy after. Best part about working at BMO is that you are always working with a partner so time goes by fast and it is always team work.
Pros
Management is great & you always work with a partner
Cons
Long hours with less pay
Developed me into who I am today
Senior resource within the Premier Support team (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
BMO ranks very high on best employers to work for in Canada, and I can certainly understand why.
In my role I was given the reign to be self sufficient, and flourish in my field. Team ethic is high, and it enabled me to learn from others and network with many.
The company believes in self improvement, and allowed for secondments and educational courses, which I have certainly taken advantage of.
Pros
no silos, colleagues, environment
Cons
a lot of services outsourced to 3rd party