BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews in Canada

Developed me into who I am today
Senior resource within the Premier Support team (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
BMO ranks very high on best employers to work for in Canada, and I can certainly understand why.
In my role I was given the reign to be self sufficient, and flourish in my field. Team ethic is high, and it enabled me to learn from others and network with many.
The company believes in self improvement, and allowed for secondments and educational courses, which I have certainly taken advantage of.
Pros
no silos, colleagues, environment
Cons
a lot of services outsourced to 3rd party
sad regretful and disappointing experience after working many years
financial service manager (Former Employee) –  BCJune 9, 2016
the pay is low with high targets every year since year one. promotion only if you have connections .it does not matter what you actually achieved in the past on paper or what your financial education level is. unfair and stressful job. I regret working for this company for many years. A waste of my time.
Pros
some benefits i.e. dental
Cons
high targets and very little recognition if you exceed your high targets
Fast Pace Call Center
Collections Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 6, 2016
A normal day consist of me taking at least 77 calls mitigating risk on each and every call. Making payment plans with customers to bring their account up to date such as mastercards, lines of credit and mortgages as well as vehicle loans. The most enjoyable part of my day is when I am able to help out a customer going through a hard time. The hardest part of my job is dealing with a client who is constantly swearing at you and wont give you a chance to talk.
Pros
Great shift, My colleagues
Cons
Low Salary
It was just ok.
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 31, 2016
I worked there as an intern for 6 months and didn't learn much due to the fact that I was assigned to a financial advisor who had no interest in having an intern.

My typical day included doing marketing research for the advisor and doing data entry for the branch administrator.

The best part of the job was getting to know my fellow interns and learning a little about the financial services industry.

The hardest part was wanting to learn more but not getting the proper guidance from those in charge.
micromanagment
Everyday Banking Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 7, 2016
If your on a call and lets say your assisting a senior citizen and they don't remember their passwords yet you secure their identity via other methods provided by BMO and the call ends up taking longer than 2 min that are required than why are their manager hovering over your shoulder to ask whats taking so long? if thats the case why not create an easier secure validation system that can make things easier for clients like seniors who eventually get frustrated trying to answer questions regarding their last 3 transactions.
Pros
good training program
Cons
no consecutive days off, micromanaged enviornment that doesn't allow reps to perform or be creative, very weak upper management, poorly run company from top to bottom
Un-organized
High Risk Collections Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 15, 2016
I was able to learn how to work in a new environment while meeting many individuals. However the organization lacked a lot of organization. They're internal systems require a lot of updates. Great learning experience from a young professional stand-point.
Pros
2 weeks paid for christmas, flexibility with employment
Cons
Un-organized, old systems, not very friendly atmosphere
Csr
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 7, 2016
BMO used to be a great place to work, but recently they've made cut backs and they have affected customers and staff that work in the branch, i don't believe a lot of customers are happy with Bmo but it would be to much of a hassle to move everything out !

There is Lots of pressure at work and management is the worst, definitely re think applying, a majority of staff that work there are looking to leave cause Bmo just doesn't seem to care about there own staff ! They just buy them, and then tell customers they retired

If you have a family with young children this is not a job for you especially if you are a single parent, you will work weekends and late evening if you are in branch.
Pros
Start early leave early, banking discounts
Cons
There is never overtime, if your owed time it's hard for them to compensate you for it.
would never work there again
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BCJune 23, 2016
My first day I was put on as a csr. After 1 hour my manager left me alone. I did have an awesome manager for the first 2 months but then he was transferred. My new boss new nothing about my job. He couldn't help me with any transactions as he didn't even know what windows to go into on the computer. He would never leave his office to come help me either or help any of the other csrs. I found all BMO cared about was up selling stuff to customers. Management didn't care at all about how long the lines got or how long they were standing in line. They were just concerned that we up sell to them. I had planned to stay with BMO till I retired but now I wouldn't recommend that bank to anyone. It's sad that they boast about great customer service but in reality they don't at all.
Pros
decent wage
Cons
No concern for customers
Great company and ample resources to expand your knowledge
QA (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
- BMO has a good work life balance. It is uncommon to see people spend more than 8 hours at the office. There is never a "crunch time" and the workload is pretty consistent.
- BMO has been a great place to work. With any growing company, there have been moments of stress but through strong leadership and a clear mission, BMO has been an amazing place to work.
- The challenges are daily and varied and leave me satisfied.
- I have grown a lot working here and see a lot of potential for more in the future.
- The culture is wonderful and employees are encouraged to be innovators.
Productive, Friendly, and fan environment
IT Asset Management Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 20, 2016
• Developed and implemented procedures for tracking BMO assets to oversee quality control throughout their lifecycles
• Ensured HPAM (HP Asset Management) databases were maintained via day-to-day operations as well as work on continuous improvements and transition
• Used Asset Management (HPAM) to create, track, modify, and manage asset records
• Updated information asset inventory register and performed bulk updates for BMO assets
Pros
n/a
Cons
No room for advancement and not a happy place to work.
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 14, 2016
Advancement is out of the question unless you personally know the person hiring.
Salary is a joke for what is expected of you on a daily basis.
Benefits are the only good thing at this place.
Been there 7 years and one day went in and they gave me walking papers.
No warning whatsoever. I thought I was gong to retire from there.
My sales were over the top. They don't care about anyone.
We all feel like just numbers.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Everything else
Micro managed environment where the majority of employees feel squeezed
Fraud Containment Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 20, 2016
Micro managed environment where the majority of employees feel squeezed.

Promotions are so rare they invented a thing called a lattice. Where you should think about making lateral job movements as oppose to climbing up the ladder.
Pros
I get 4 weeks vacation
Cons
very hard to grow
Competitive workspace, cooperative colleagues
Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 15, 2016
Love working for BMO, they have great salary structure and incentive pay for performance is lucrative.
This is essentially a dignified sales job but financial knowledge is eminent for success. It is also imperative to have self discipline to excel and out perform.
it's for the money
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 8, 2016
BMO is a good place to get your feet wet in finance if that's what you want. for job advancement its about who you know. sales are a big part in getting ahead.
Pros
a lot of free things, great emplyee events, the pay isnt bad either
Cons
very hard to get a shift that works with your life, managment doesnt want to change it even they know they can.
good environement
Représentante Service à la clientèle Senior (Current Employee) –  Décarie, QCJuly 22, 2016
its a small/big family, everyone enjoys working as a team to make banking better and easier. Working at the bank of monreal helped me realize who I really am and what am really capable of. Helping client make their life simpler is an achievement at the end of the day.
people focus
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 20, 2016
Organization with a Stellar reputation. truly walks the walk when it comes to 'helping' customers. as a culture BMO is customer centric, and this trickles down every level of the organization. Management is people focussed, it has a good culture and drive individuals to perform better and rewards in line with performance.
Review
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 23, 2016
Great leadership and experience. One of the best teams to work with in my career. Culture was positive and everyone was helpful. I would highly recommend this company to individuals looking to start a career at a financial institution.
Pros
Felxible management
Cons
Limited systems for analysis
excellent experience
Information Security (CLM) Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2016
Very nice company culture and interesting job.

Got experience in integrating and working with Log Management and Enterprise Security Event Management Systems (ArcSight, Splunk, HPAM), competent to combine event correlation and security analytics to identify threats and manage risk, and to conduct audit/compliance activities
Worst place I ever worked at.
Fraud Analyst (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 16, 2016
The job write up sounds like you'd actually be analyzing something when in fact it's a glorified call center. Run like a slave shop where people don't matter. You're only in number.
Management can get away with anything they want including giving you your walking papers, they just call it not meeting the expectations of the job but they don't tell you specifically where you went wrong. You have to excel at everything or be close friends with management. They need a union badly to stop the unfairness. Unless you're desperate pass on this. BMO might be good in other departments but not this one.
Then they have coaching sessions that leave you feeling like you're a piece of dirt when it's done and you can get these weekly. Definitely not worth any money they would want to pay.
Pros
Benefits and people I worked with.
Cons
Unfair treatment, unjust firings, harassment, bullying in the workplace, pretty much everything.
Solid entry level job. No advancement support.
Financial Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 22, 2016
Typical Day: 8:30 A.M. - 6:00 P.M. / fast paced, high pressure, various different tasks.

What I learned: Sales, investments, day to day banking solutions.

Hardest part of the job: Being pulled in various directions.

Most enjoyable part: Solving new and varied client issues everyday.