BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews

Great Atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2016
Working for BMO is like being at home. I loved how BMOs values are not centralized to a customer/company relationship, but rather a relationship you can fee comfortable with.

My typical day consisted of establishing a relationship with our clients by giving them the tools and services BMO offers to manage their money. I took pride as a customer service representative (bank teller) because it made me enjoy interacting with every day people in the area.

My coworkers were easy to get along with and a great team.
Pros
interpersonal relationship with people, more than just a 'bank'
Cons
slow to advance, too focused on selling MasterCards
productive and a fun environment
Office worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 16, 2016
I was mostly busy filing, I also did data entries.(excel, etc)
Everyone was very respectful even though i was the youngest there. I felt very happy in that environment and felt that i was important to the organization.
It took a long time to reach there. But it was the experience at BMO which really matters to me.
The hardest part of my job was that i had to learn a lot of different programs in order to do my work.
Motivation is the most important thing! that helped me to keep enjoying what i did at BMO.
Pros
free snacks
Unique and Challenging
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Osoyoos, BCSeptember 9, 2016
This was a job where everyone who approached my wicket had a different request, some small some large. This combine with the joy of customer service made the days zip by. The challenging and creative problem solving that had to be applied on a daily basis were great for keeping the mental stimuli there and of course balancing at the end of the day and having those numbers match up was always a great pat on the back
Hostile environment, unapproachable management, don't waste your skills here
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 1, 2016
(Reviewing BMO Nesbitt Burns) For myself and on behalf of many colleagues, not a good experience at all. Short-sighted, tight-fisted, unapproachable managers caused great tension between groups and made it a hostile environment. The company preaches diversity and openness to new ideas, but the firm's actions say otherwise. Hard-working employees are not recognized and old, traditional ways of thinking are rewarded. For the love of god, don't work here and waste your skills in such a thankless environment!!
Pros
Benefits, share program, pension
Cons
Tight-fisted management, old way of thinking, hard work not recognized
positive and outgoing place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONAugust 31, 2016
Worked at the Bank of Montreal since 1997 scheduling was focused around family and babysitting, very satisfied with the work schedule time goes by fast regarding fast paced envirorment courses you can take to work your way up the ladder for example become a manager
Pros
perferred rate on mastercard recieve airmiles for doing banking
Cons
breaks could be longer
Developed me into who I am today
Senior resource within the Premier Support team (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
BMO ranks very high on best employers to work for in Canada, and I can certainly understand why.
In my role I was given the reign to be self sufficient, and flourish in my field. Team ethic is high, and it enabled me to learn from others and network with many.
The company believes in self improvement, and allowed for secondments and educational courses, which I have certainly taken advantage of.
Pros
no silos, colleagues, environment
Cons
a lot of services outsourced to 3rd party
Un-organized
High Risk Collections Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 15, 2016
I was able to learn how to work in a new environment while meeting many individuals. However the organization lacked a lot of organization. They're internal systems require a lot of updates. Great learning experience from a young professional stand-point.
Pros
2 weeks paid for christmas, flexibility with employment
Cons
Un-organized, old systems, not very friendly atmosphere
Productive, fun workplace, nice benefits
Loan Collector (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 20, 2016
I have worked with BMO Financial Group for less than a year now and I really enjoy it. The people are great and its a very productive atmosphere. Loan collections can be hard sometimes when having to deal with certain individuals but overall the drive to achieve gets me through the day.
Pros
Free lunches, welcoming atmosphere
Cons
Short breaks
Csr
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 7, 2016
BMO used to be a great place to work, but recently they've made cut backs and they have affected customers and staff that work in the branch, i don't believe a lot of customers are happy with Bmo but it would be to much of a hassle to move everything out !

There is Lots of pressure at work and management is the worst, definitely re think applying, a majority of staff that work there are looking to leave cause Bmo just doesn't seem to care about there own staff ! They just buy them, and then tell customers they retired

If you have a family with young children this is not a job for you especially if you are a single parent, you will work weekends and late evening if you are in branch.
Pros
Start early leave early, banking discounts
Cons
There is never overtime, if your owed time it's hard for them to compensate you for it.
sad regretful and disappointing experience after working many years
financial service manager (Former Employee) –  BCJune 9, 2016
the pay is low with high targets every year since year one. promotion only if you have connections .it does not matter what you actually achieved in the past on paper or what your financial education level is. unfair and stressful job. I regret working for this company for many years. A waste of my time.
Pros
some benefits i.e. dental
Cons
high targets and very little recognition if you exceed your high targets
Fast Pace Call Center
Collections Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 6, 2016
A normal day consist of me taking at least 77 calls mitigating risk on each and every call. Making payment plans with customers to bring their account up to date such as mastercards, lines of credit and mortgages as well as vehicle loans. The most enjoyable part of my day is when I am able to help out a customer going through a hard time. The hardest part of my job is dealing with a client who is constantly swearing at you and wont give you a chance to talk.
Pros
Great shift, My colleagues
Cons
Low Salary
fulfilling and a great learning experience at all levels
Database Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 8, 2016
Working at BMO has a productive, exciting, diverse and fun experience in many aspects. The teams I was part of were exceptionally enjoyable to work with.
Pros
excellent education and technical environment with possibilities to learn, contribute and be challenged
Cons
Hard to pinpoint any downside
micromanagment
Everyday Banking Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 7, 2016
If your on a call and lets say your assisting a senior citizen and they don't remember their passwords yet you secure their identity via other methods provided by BMO and the call ends up taking longer than 2 min that are required than why are their manager hovering over your shoulder to ask whats taking so long? if thats the case why not create an easier secure validation system that can make things easier for clients like seniors who eventually get frustrated trying to answer questions regarding their last 3 transactions.
Pros
good training program
Cons
no consecutive days off, micromanaged enviornment that doesn't allow reps to perform or be creative, very weak upper management, poorly run company from top to bottom
Productive work place, excellent team.
Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONAugust 4, 2016
Fast paced work environment and challenging at times
I have build great customer base and knowledge of banking and how to meet clients needs by being attentive. I have learned the skill of listening and asking the appropriate questions. How to handle conflict efficiently. I have learned to manage peers and I have help build a team that works collaboratively together to exceed excellent customer service.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough time to help all the clients in the same day due to branch operating hours.
The most enjoyable part of my job is helping clients meet their financial goals and helping the branch succeed in their revenue targets. The interaction with people of all social races is exciting and fulfilling.
Pros
Engaging with clients and peers.
Cons
Could be very stressful at times.
It was just ok.
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 31, 2016
I worked there as an intern for 6 months and didn't learn much due to the fact that I was assigned to a financial advisor who had no interest in having an intern.

My typical day included doing marketing research for the advisor and doing data entry for the branch administrator.

The best part of the job was getting to know my fellow interns and learning a little about the financial services industry.

The hardest part was wanting to learn more but not getting the proper guidance from those in charge.
would never work there again
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BCJune 23, 2016
My first day I was put on as a csr. After 1 hour my manager left me alone. I did have an awesome manager for the first 2 months but then he was transferred. My new boss new nothing about my job. He couldn't help me with any transactions as he didn't even know what windows to go into on the computer. He would never leave his office to come help me either or help any of the other csrs. I found all BMO cared about was up selling stuff to customers. Management didn't care at all about how long the lines got or how long they were standing in line. They were just concerned that we up sell to them. I had planned to stay with BMO till I retired but now I wouldn't recommend that bank to anyone. It's sad that they boast about great customer service but in reality they don't at all.
Pros
decent wage
Cons
No concern for customers
Good people
Financial Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABSeptember 20, 2016
Great people to work with. management can be a different story. Some issues with disability accommodation, so they seem to do poorly with that. The staff are all great people at every branch I have worked at.
Pros
Free training, easy to advance your career
Cons
poor accommodation for disabled, poorly staffed branches
good environement
Représentante Service à la clientèle Senior (Current Employee) –  Décarie, QCJuly 22, 2016
its a small/big family, everyone enjoys working as a team to make banking better and easier. Working at the bank of monreal helped me realize who I really am and what am really capable of. Helping client make their life simpler is an achievement at the end of the day.
Great company and ample resources to expand your knowledge
QA (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
- BMO has a good work life balance. It is uncommon to see people spend more than 8 hours at the office. There is never a "crunch time" and the workload is pretty consistent.
- BMO has been a great place to work. With any growing company, there have been moments of stress but through strong leadership and a clear mission, BMO has been an amazing place to work.
- The challenges are daily and varied and leave me satisfied.
- I have grown a lot working here and see a lot of potential for more in the future.
- The culture is wonderful and employees are encouraged to be innovators.
Productive, Friendly, and fan environment
IT Asset Management Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 20, 2016
• Developed and implemented procedures for tracking BMO assets to oversee quality control throughout their lifecycles
• Ensured HPAM (HP Asset Management) databases were maintained via day-to-day operations as well as work on continuous improvements and transition
• Used Asset Management (HPAM) to create, track, modify, and manage asset records
• Updated information asset inventory register and performed bulk updates for BMO assets
Pros
n/a