BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews in Canada

Great employer
SrAdminAssistant & JrBusinessAnalyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 5, 2016
Large corporation environment with very little room for advancement, but offers full benefits package and competitive salary.
excellent experience
Information Security (CLM) Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2016
Very nice company culture and interesting job.

Got experience in integrating and working with Log Management and Enterprise Security Event Management Systems (ArcSight, Splunk, HPAM), competent to combine event correlation and security analytics to identify threats and manage risk, and to conduct audit/compliance activities
Manager (Project Delivery, PMO) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Good work place. Great opportunity for learning . Challenging projects to work with. Good Benefits. Secured Job. Good job culture. Highly co-operative employers
terrible
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 31, 2016
long hours very little pay for such an important building.didnt learn much. management was terrible, co-worker were okay but dont share what going on in your personal life with them, they will rat you out, hardest part of the job was the long hours. most enjoyable part was going home
Pros
no real work
Cons
managers and boss arent very good
very stressfull
Full-time CSR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
good place to learn; good benefits; low salary; unpaid long hours; difficult to move up if no connections to the right people even if you have good results; stressful environment
Great Workplace
Client Service & Solutions Delivery Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
BMO Capital Markets is a fun environment to work in. The atmosphere is fast paced and always challenging. There's a lot to learn and the prospects of growth and advancement is tremendous.
Pros
Challenging and always exciting
Cons
Stressful and Long Hours
Fun and fast paced
Personal Banking & MasterCard Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 9, 2015
BMO has taught me the importance of managing finance. I have learned to personally manage my own and the benefits of product knowledge.

Through my work experience I have strengthened my communication skills and had the opportunity to work in various departments. I've expanded my networking contacts and throughout the year have had the privilege of working with many wonderful colleagues in the same role and in management roles.
Pros
learning opportunities, networking
Cons
work advancement
great people to work with
Personal Banking Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 5, 2016
call center, great people, banking, mastercard, work with many departments, learn a lot about money, good benefits, nice building to work in although there were no good lunch options (small cafeteria that closes early).
Pros
great people
Cons
micro management
Strong team environment and many opportunities to grow
Senior Man, Business Continuity (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 26, 2015
Strong team environment and many opportunities to grow. Strong risk management culture and diverse team members. Coworkers are very supportive and do their part when required.
Pros
Progressive staff
Cons
Frequent organizational changes
would never work there again
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BCJune 23, 2016
My first day I was put on as a csr. After 1 hour my manager left me alone. I did have an awesome manager for the first 2 months but then he was transferred. My new boss new nothing about my job. He couldn't help me with any transactions as he didn't even know what windows to go into on the computer. He would never leave his office to come help me either or help any of the other csrs. I found all BMO cared about was up selling stuff to customers. Management didn't care at all about how long the lines got or how long they were standing in line. They were just concerned that we up sell to them. I had planned to stay with BMO till I retired but now I wouldn't recommend that bank to anyone. It's sad that they boast about great customer service but in reality they don't at all.
Pros
decent wage
Cons
No concern for customers
A challenging, busy work place, that provides the oppourtunity to feel that you have accomplished something each and everyday.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 7, 2016
As a long term associate with BMO, I have stayed in my current role as my greatest pleasure is with the interaction I get to have with my customers each and everyday.

With my tenure and history with BMO, I am frequently called upon to provide guidence and support to many of the staff and management with in my branch. It is a source of satisfaction to know that my knowledge is a valuable assest to the workplace. l
Csr
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 7, 2016
BMO used to be a great place to work, but recently they've made cut backs and they have affected customers and staff that work in the branch, i don't believe a lot of customers are happy with Bmo but it would be to much of a hassle to move everything out !

There is Lots of pressure at work and management is the worst, definitely re think applying, a majority of staff that work there are looking to leave cause Bmo just doesn't seem to care about there own staff ! They just buy them, and then tell customers they retired

If you have a family with young children this is not a job for you especially if you are a single parent, you will work weekends and late evening if you are in branch.
Pros
Start early leave early, banking discounts
Cons
There is never overtime, if your owed time it's hard for them to compensate you for it.
micromanagment
Everyday Banking Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 7, 2016
If your on a call and lets say your assisting a senior citizen and they don't remember their passwords yet you secure their identity via other methods provided by BMO and the call ends up taking longer than 2 min that are required than why are their manager hovering over your shoulder to ask whats taking so long? if thats the case why not create an easier secure validation system that can make things easier for clients like seniors who eventually get frustrated trying to answer questions regarding their last 3 transactions.
Pros
good training program
Cons
no consecutive days off, micromanaged enviornment that doesn't allow reps to perform or be creative, very weak upper management, poorly run company from top to bottom
Customer Service with security
Garda Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 2, 2015
- Access Control
- Customer Service
- Normal Patrols
- Writing Reports
- Alarm Testing

Working at the BMO as a GardaWorld Security Officer is great. You get tons of experience in the corporate security aspect. You get to deal with a lot of incidents such as, medical emergencies, access control rejects, patrols, alarms, etc. The hardest part of this job are the 7 day straight work schedule, it could be either day shifts or nights. But you get use to it and it becomes easy after. Best part about working at BMO is that you are always working with a partner so time goes by fast and it is always team work.
Pros
Management is great & you always work with a partner
Cons
Long hours with less pay
productive
Credit Risk Management analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2016
a typical day at work, at time stress can be high, very welcoming job culture, co-workers are really nice. No set schedule therefore if you are finished with your projects, you can relax, go out for coffee or at times even go home early.
Pros
lots of employee interaction
Cons
stress
Worst place I ever worked at.
Fraud Analyst (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 16, 2016
The job write up sounds like you'd actually be analyzing something when in fact it's a glorified call center. Run like a slave shop where people don't matter. You're only in number.
Management can get away with anything they want including giving you your walking papers, they just call it not meeting the expectations of the job but they don't tell you specifically where you went wrong. You have to excel at everything or be close friends with management. They need a union badly to stop the unfairness. Unless you're desperate pass on this. BMO might be good in other departments but not this one.
Then they have coaching sessions that leave you feeling like you're a piece of dirt when it's done and you can get these weekly. Definitely not worth any money they would want to pay.
Pros
Benefits and people I worked with.
Cons
Unfair treatment, unjust firings, harassment, bullying in the workplace, pretty much everything.
Different environments in one big corporation
Manager Operations & Administration (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 31, 2016
I had the opportunity to work in two different divisions of BMO and I enjoyed very much one more than the other.
While in one division the environment was friendly, equal for all employees and fair, in the other division it was a competitive environment, with not much opportunity to progress
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Competitive greedy people
A progressive organization with room for growth
Client Service/ Admin (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 1, 2016
I will start my day by ensuring our investment Daily Rates were successfully emailed to all brokers registered with BMO and follow-up with any outstanding inquiries from the day before.
Provided clients and advisors/ dealers on existing accounts information and on new purchases of investments in Mutual Funds, Advisor Deposit and Registered Term.
Verification of accurate information on cheques distributed to clients and advisors/ dealers.
Provided professional and accurate account details on four different Lines of Business.
Provided the status on registrations, amendments and transfers of investments.
Provided reasons why BMO Retail transfers of investments were not successful to advisors/ brokers and receiving institutions representatives.
Pros
Enhancement on my communication, organization and prioritization skills
Cons
The commute was too far from home
Disgusting work politics, horrible management, low pay
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 18, 2015
Pros: Medical & dental benefits, discounts at a variety of other organizations

Cons: Worst. Management. Ever. Manager talks about each employee behind their backs. Promotions given to those he 'really likes' if you know what I mean. Manager is rarely in branch, asks employees to do his work without giving a pay raise or promotion. Was told about how much 'advancement' there is when in reality unless you wear a short dress to work every day, don't expect anything. Overall just a horrible experience in pretty much every way.
Great company and ample resources to expand your knowledge
QA (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
- BMO has a good work life balance. It is uncommon to see people spend more than 8 hours at the office. There is never a "crunch time" and the workload is pretty consistent.
- BMO has been a great place to work. With any growing company, there have been moments of stress but through strong leadership and a clear mission, BMO has been an amazing place to work.
- The challenges are daily and varied and leave me satisfied.
- I have grown a lot working here and see a lot of potential for more in the future.
- The culture is wonderful and employees are encouraged to be innovators.