BMO Financial Group

BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews

Management is a joke... (former BMO Investorline employee)
Investment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 August 2016
Management at BMO are incompetent. Managers cannot even handle client escalations and spend most of their time passing escalations and work load to assistant managers instead. Most of the time my manager would be on the phone talking to friends/family in polish and would get stressed out when she had to take an excalation that she could not handle and would cry. Salary is not as competitive as compared to other FIs. Hiring practices are weird as based on my previous occupation they kept hiring employees with no investment experience or knowledge and no licenses which is ironic as they boast about quality customer service. Having incompetent staff only hurts the quality of customer service with long wait times and pointless transfers to other departments or licensed traders and and creates poor service. BMO doesnt make sense.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Salary is low, management is incompetent and lazy
Hostile environment, unapproachable management, don't waste your skills here
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2016
(Reviewing BMO Nesbitt Burns) For myself and on behalf of many colleagues, not a good experience at all. Short-sighted, tight-fisted, unapproachable managers caused great tension between groups and made it a hostile environment. The company preaches diversity and openness to new ideas, but the firm's actions say otherwise. Hard-working employees are not recognized and old, traditional ways of thinking are rewarded. For the love of god, don't work here and waste your skills in such a thankless environment!!
Pros
Benefits, share program, pension
Cons
Tight-fisted management, old way of thinking, hard work not recognized
BMO and customer experience
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 November 2016
Working at BMO is waking up in the morning looking forward to go to work. At BMO everyone works to achieve the same goal, everyone helps each other and we all give our best. There are no titles at work.
Pros
good environment; good career opportunities; good benefits
Cons
high competitivity; high targets
Overall I a good place to work
Investigative and Security Services Analyst (Current Employee) –  bloor st west29 November 2016
Overall BMO is a good place to work and recommend anyone to work. Bad apples are everywhere but there are a lot of good apples as well.

Learned a lot with colleagues and good leaders,
Bad leaders who thinks they own the bank and leading according their own instincts give bad image of the company.
Pros
Benefits and colleagues
Cons
Egoistic leaders
Worst place I ever worked at.
Fraud Analyst (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 April 2016
The job write up sounds like you'd actually be analyzing something when in fact it's a glorified call center. Run like a slave shop where people don't matter. You're only in number.
Management can get away with anything they want including giving you your walking papers, they just call it not meeting the expectations of the job but they don't tell you specifically where you went wrong. You have to excel at everything or be close friends with management. They need a union badly to stop the unfairness. Unless you're desperate pass on this. BMO might be good in other departments but not this one.
Then they have coaching sessions that leave you feeling like you're a piece of dirt when it's done and you can get these weekly. Definitely not worth any money they would want to pay.
Pros
Benefits and people I worked with.
Cons
Unfair treatment, unjust firings, harassment, bullying in the workplace, pretty much everything.
Bmo
Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
Great culture, but being a large organization, really need to rely on a sponsor or networking to land a position. Benefits are similar to other banks, but nothing compared to other industries, like automotive.
sad regretful and disappointing experience after working many years
financial service manager (Former Employee) –  BC9 June 2016
the pay is low with high targets every year since year one. promotion only if you have connections .it does not matter what you actually achieved in the past on paper or what your financial education level is. unfair and stressful job. I regret working for this company for many years. A waste of my time.
Pros
some benefits i.e. dental
Cons
high targets and very little recognition if you exceed your high targets
Great Inclusive Culture
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2016
Lots of learning opportunities in an inclusive environment. Big on learning and progression. Leaders are very well aware of the current market trends.
Pros
Work-Life Balance
Cons
Could do better with compensation
Fast Pace Call Center
Collections Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 June 2016
A normal day consist of me taking at least 77 calls mitigating risk on each and every call. Making payment plans with customers to bring their account up to date such as mastercards, lines of credit and mortgages as well as vehicle loans. The most enjoyable part of my day is when I am able to help out a customer going through a hard time. The hardest part of my job is dealing with a client who is constantly swearing at you and wont give you a chance to talk.
Pros
Great shift, My colleagues
Cons
Low Salary
No room for advancement and not a happy place to work.
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 April 2016
Advancement is out of the question unless you personally know the person hiring.
Salary is a joke for what is expected of you on a daily basis.
Benefits are the only good thing at this place.
Been there 7 years and one day went in and they gave me walking papers.
No warning whatsoever. I thought I was gong to retire from there.
My sales were over the top. They don't care about anyone.
We all feel like just numbers.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Everything else
A place worth for working
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
A place that the best customer experience is provided.

Here we have a group of loyal employees who have worked for over twenty years as well as a group of passionate young professionals trying to explore their career possibilities. It's a diversified place and full of love. While I work as a Service Rep at back office, I work hard everyday to ensure all the Requests from branches have been started on investigation, and trying hard to minimize the timeline for finishing each of them.
Competitive workspace, cooperative colleagues
Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2016
Love working for BMO, they have great salary structure and incentive pay for performance is lucrative.
This is essentially a dignified sales job but financial knowledge is eminent for success. It is also imperative to have self discipline to excel and out perform.
Fast paced environment/Great tools provided for new learners
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2016
-fast paced
-management is not organized
-hard to work in a branch with very minimal staff
-enjoy customer facing interactions, coaching the team and to work hard towards becoming the best of the best in the district area
-work/life balance is terrible
-overworked and not over-manged
Employee Friendly and a productive workplace
Program Delivery and Scheduling Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 August 2016
A great place to work and it offers work life balance. Great management and peers.The organisation truly embraces diversity.
Pros
Everything is good
Cons
No Security for Contingent Talent
Great Place
Branch Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 April 2016
Good managers. Decent benefits. Good technology and selection of securities.

Fine advisors, integrity and caring as well as planning is top notch.
Pros
Technology
Cons
Back office is weak
Photographing events
Photographe (Former Employee) –  Montérégie, QC23 November 2016
Its always fun to meet people, specially in fun events. I had the chance to take many pictures of many BMO bankers in Golf tournaments on the south shore. Have meet a lot of great people there. Taking pictures is really not as easy as it looks, specially when people are moving. You need to focus on the light and the poses.But it still a passion of mine so I think I had as much fun as they have playing golf and posing.
Pros
Meeting people
Good people
Financial Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB20 September 2016
Great people to work with. management can be a different story. Some issues with disability accommodation, so they seem to do poorly with that. The staff are all great people at every branch I have worked at.
Pros
Free training, easy to advance your career
Cons
poor accommodation for disabled, poorly staffed branches
very stressfull
Full-time CSR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2016
good place to learn; good benefits; low salary; unpaid long hours; difficult to move up if no connections to the right people even if you have good results; stressful environment
Csr
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 July 2016
BMO used to be a great place to work, but recently they've made cut backs and they have affected customers and staff that work in the branch, i don't believe a lot of customers are happy with Bmo but it would be to much of a hassle to move everything out !

There is Lots of pressure at work and management is the worst, definitely re think applying, a majority of staff that work there are looking to leave cause Bmo just doesn't seem to care about there own staff ! They just buy them, and then tell customers they retired

If you have a family with young children this is not a job for you especially if you are a single parent, you will work weekends and late evening if you are in branch.
Pros
Start early leave early, banking discounts
Cons
There is never overtime, if your owed time it's hard for them to compensate you for it.
Review
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 June 2016
Great leadership and experience. One of the best teams to work with in my career. Culture was positive and everyone was helpful. I would highly recommend this company to individuals looking to start a career at a financial institution.
Pros
Felxible management
Cons
Limited systems for analysis