BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews in Canada

Employee Friendly and a productive workplace
Program Delivery and Scheduling Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONAugust 25, 2016
A great place to work and it offers work life balance. Great management and peers.The organisation truly embraces diversity.
Pros
Everything is good
Cons
No Security for Contingent Talent
Management is a joke... (former BMO Investorline employee)
Investment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 6, 2016
Management at BMO are incompetent. Managers cannot even handle client escalations and spend most of their time passing escalations and work load to assistant managers instead. Most of the time my manager would be on the phone talking to friends/family in polish and would get stressed out when she had to take an excalation that she could not handle and would cry. Salary is not as competitive as compared to other FIs. Hiring practices are weird as based on my previous occupation they kept hiring employees with no investment experience or knowledge and no licenses which is ironic as they boast about quality customer service. Having incompetent staff only hurts the quality of customer service with long wait times and pointless transfers to other departments or licensed traders and and creates poor service. BMO doesnt make sense.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Salary is low, management is incompetent and lazy
Lots of pressure to sell and book appointments
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 4, 2016
Good entry level position but once you get the experience, get out. The pressure and stress is not worth the money, nor will you be recognized.
Pros
good experience
Cons
stressful, learn on the job with little training
Productive work place, excellent team.
Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONAugust 4, 2016
Fast paced work environment and challenging at times
I have build great customer base and knowledge of banking and how to meet clients needs by being attentive. I have learned the skill of listening and asking the appropriate questions. How to handle conflict efficiently. I have learned to manage peers and I have help build a team that works collaboratively together to exceed excellent customer service.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough time to help all the clients in the same day due to branch operating hours.
The most enjoyable part of my job is helping clients meet their financial goals and helping the branch succeed in their revenue targets. The interaction with people of all social races is exciting and fulfilling.
Pros
Engaging with clients and peers.
Cons
Could be very stressful at times.
Hostile environment, unapproachable management, don't waste your skills here
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 1, 2016
(Reviewing BMO Nesbitt Burns) For myself and on behalf of many colleagues, not a good experience at all. Short-sighted, tight-fisted, unapproachable managers caused great tension between groups and made it a hostile environment. The company preaches diversity and openness to new ideas, but the firm's actions say otherwise. Hard-working employees are not recognized and old, traditional ways of thinking are rewarded. For the love of god, don't work here and waste your skills in such a thankless environment!!
Pros
Benefits, share program, pension
Cons
Tight-fisted management, old way of thinking, hard work not recognized
good environement
Représentante Service à la clientèle Senior (Current Employee) –  Décarie, QCJuly 22, 2016
its a small/big family, everyone enjoys working as a team to make banking better and easier. Working at the bank of monreal helped me realize who I really am and what am really capable of. Helping client make their life simpler is an achievement at the end of the day.
Wonderful.
assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 16, 2016
I worked as the regional manager's assistant, however, only for a short period of time. I answered phone calls for him, organized his schedules and cleaned out his office. It was a pretty straightforward job. I loved it.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not enough hours
Un-organized
High Risk Collections Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 15, 2016
I was able to learn how to work in a new environment while meeting many individuals. However the organization lacked a lot of organization. They're internal systems require a lot of updates. Great learning experience from a young professional stand-point.
Pros
2 weeks paid for christmas, flexibility with employment
Cons
Un-organized, old systems, not very friendly atmosphere
Csr
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 7, 2016
BMO used to be a great place to work, but recently they've made cut backs and they have affected customers and staff that work in the branch, i don't believe a lot of customers are happy with Bmo but it would be to much of a hassle to move everything out !

There is Lots of pressure at work and management is the worst, definitely re think applying, a majority of staff that work there are looking to leave cause Bmo just doesn't seem to care about there own staff ! They just buy them, and then tell customers they retired

If you have a family with young children this is not a job for you especially if you are a single parent, you will work weekends and late evening if you are in branch.
Pros
Start early leave early, banking discounts
Cons
There is never overtime, if your owed time it's hard for them to compensate you for it.
Get to knpw what are customers needs
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJuly 6, 2016
I enjoy working with people as I like to talk to them and understand their day to day banking needs. I always like to help people.
Developed me into who I am today
Senior resource within the Premier Support team (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
BMO ranks very high on best employers to work for in Canada, and I can certainly understand why.
In my role I was given the reign to be self sufficient, and flourish in my field. Team ethic is high, and it enabled me to learn from others and network with many.
The company believes in self improvement, and allowed for secondments and educational courses, which I have certainly taken advantage of.
Pros
no silos, colleagues, environment
Cons
a lot of services outsourced to 3rd party
Good place to work.
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 24, 2016
Good place to work.
Learned a lot from BMO.
Have very nice people to work with.
The environment is perfect. matured structure
would never work there again
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BCJune 23, 2016
My first day I was put on as a csr. After 1 hour my manager left me alone. I did have an awesome manager for the first 2 months but then he was transferred. My new boss new nothing about my job. He couldn't help me with any transactions as he didn't even know what windows to go into on the computer. He would never leave his office to come help me either or help any of the other csrs. I found all BMO cared about was up selling stuff to customers. Management didn't care at all about how long the lines got or how long they were standing in line. They were just concerned that we up sell to them. I had planned to stay with BMO till I retired but now I wouldn't recommend that bank to anyone. It's sad that they boast about great customer service but in reality they don't at all.
Pros
decent wage
Cons
No concern for customers
Review
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 23, 2016
Great leadership and experience. One of the best teams to work with in my career. Culture was positive and everyone was helpful. I would highly recommend this company to individuals looking to start a career at a financial institution.
Pros
Felxible management
Cons
Limited systems for analysis
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant/Operations Administrator (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BCJune 18, 2016
Great management. High demanding and high pressure working enviroment. Can learn a lot from work. Process and procedure are quite out dated.
I was lucky to work in a nice team
QA Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 15, 2016
Flexible time to start and leave work.
Typical day at work: reading/answer emails, short meetings in the morning, start testing in laboratory, open/close/retest issue or create test cases, sending updates at the end of the day.
sad regretful and disappointing experience after working many years
financial service manager (Former Employee) –  BCJune 9, 2016
the pay is low with high targets every year since year one. promotion only if you have connections .it does not matter what you actually achieved in the past on paper or what your financial education level is. unfair and stressful job. I regret working for this company for many years. A waste of my time.
Pros
some benefits i.e. dental
Cons
high targets and very little recognition if you exceed your high targets
micromanagment
Everyday Banking Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 7, 2016
If your on a call and lets say your assisting a senior citizen and they don't remember their passwords yet you secure their identity via other methods provided by BMO and the call ends up taking longer than 2 min that are required than why are their manager hovering over your shoulder to ask whats taking so long? if thats the case why not create an easier secure validation system that can make things easier for clients like seniors who eventually get frustrated trying to answer questions regarding their last 3 transactions.
Pros
good training program
Cons
no consecutive days off, micromanaged enviornment that doesn't allow reps to perform or be creative, very weak upper management, poorly run company from top to bottom
Fast Pace Call Center
Collections Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 6, 2016
A normal day consist of me taking at least 77 calls mitigating risk on each and every call. Making payment plans with customers to bring their account up to date such as mastercards, lines of credit and mortgages as well as vehicle loans. The most enjoyable part of my day is when I am able to help out a customer going through a hard time. The hardest part of my job is dealing with a client who is constantly swearing at you and wont give you a chance to talk.
Pros
Great shift, My colleagues
Cons
Low Salary
Fun
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 2, 2016
I had never worked as an executive receptionist before however it was fun and allowed me to work on my time management skills and organizational skills. It was fun, and the environment was warm and friendly, which made me feel very welcome.