BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews

Great Atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2016
Working for BMO is like being at home. I loved how BMOs values are not centralized to a customer/company relationship, but rather a relationship you can fee comfortable with.

My typical day consisted of establishing a relationship with our clients by giving them the tools and services BMO offers to manage their money. I took pride as a customer service representative (bank teller) because it made me enjoy interacting with every day people in the area.

My coworkers were easy to get along with and a great team.
Pros
interpersonal relationship with people, more than just a 'bank'
Cons
slow to advance, too focused on selling MasterCards
Good people
Financial Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABSeptember 20, 2016
Great people to work with. management can be a different story. Some issues with disability accommodation, so they seem to do poorly with that. The staff are all great people at every branch I have worked at.
Pros
Free training, easy to advance your career
Cons
poor accommodation for disabled, poorly staffed branches
Productive environment
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2016
The group I worked with was great. There are some groups in the US that were less than professional but the Canadian teams made up for that.
productive and a fun environment
Office worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 16, 2016
I was mostly busy filing, I also did data entries.(excel, etc)
Everyone was very respectful even though i was the youngest there. I felt very happy in that environment and felt that i was important to the organization.
It took a long time to reach there. But it was the experience at BMO which really matters to me.
The hardest part of my job was that i had to learn a lot of different programs in order to do my work.
Motivation is the most important thing! that helped me to keep enjoying what i did at BMO.
Pros
free snacks
Great learning environment
Trade Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 15, 2016
With exposure to many different aspects of the business I was able to quickly learn many valuable skills in this entry level role.
You'll learn a lot competitive environment
Investment Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 14, 2016
Great environment a lot to learn, challenges supportive management.
we strive to provide exceptional customer service everything revolve around this
Unique and Challenging
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Osoyoos, BCSeptember 9, 2016
This was a job where everyone who approached my wicket had a different request, some small some large. This combine with the joy of customer service made the days zip by. The challenging and creative problem solving that had to be applied on a daily basis were great for keeping the mental stimuli there and of course balancing at the end of the day and having those numbers match up was always a great pat on the back
fulfilling and a great learning experience at all levels
Database Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 8, 2016
Working at BMO has a productive, exciting, diverse and fun experience in many aspects. The teams I was part of were exceptionally enjoyable to work with.
Pros
excellent education and technical environment with possibilities to learn, contribute and be challenged
Cons
Hard to pinpoint any downside
positive and outgoing place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONAugust 31, 2016
Worked at the Bank of Montreal since 1997 scheduling was focused around family and babysitting, very satisfied with the work schedule time goes by fast regarding fast paced envirorment courses you can take to work your way up the ladder for example become a manager
Pros
perferred rate on mastercard recieve airmiles for doing banking
Cons
breaks could be longer
Great Inclusive Culture
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 30, 2016
Lots of learning opportunities in an inclusive environment. Big on learning and progression. Leaders are very well aware of the current market trends.
Pros
Work-Life Balance
Cons
Could do better with compensation
Employee Friendly and a productive workplace
Program Delivery and Scheduling Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONAugust 25, 2016
A great place to work and it offers work life balance. Great management and peers.The organisation truly embraces diversity.
Pros
Everything is good
Cons
No Security for Contingent Talent
Productive, fun workplace, nice benefits
Loan Collector (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 20, 2016
I have worked with BMO Financial Group for less than a year now and I really enjoy it. The people are great and its a very productive atmosphere. Loan collections can be hard sometimes when having to deal with certain individuals but overall the drive to achieve gets me through the day.
Pros
Free lunches, welcoming atmosphere
Cons
Short breaks
Management is a joke... (former BMO Investorline employee)
Investment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 6, 2016
Management at BMO are incompetent. Managers cannot even handle client escalations and spend most of their time passing escalations and work load to assistant managers instead. Most of the time my manager would be on the phone talking to friends/family in polish and would get stressed out when she had to take an excalation that she could not handle and would cry. Salary is not as competitive as compared to other FIs. Hiring practices are weird as based on my previous occupation they kept hiring employees with no investment experience or knowledge and no licenses which is ironic as they boast about quality customer service. Having incompetent staff only hurts the quality of customer service with long wait times and pointless transfers to other departments or licensed traders and and creates poor service. BMO doesnt make sense.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Salary is low, management is incompetent and lazy
Lots of pressure to sell and book appointments
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 4, 2016
Good entry level position but once you get the experience, get out. The pressure and stress is not worth the money, nor will you be recognized.
Pros
good experience
Cons
stressful, learn on the job with little training
Productive work place, excellent team.
Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONAugust 4, 2016
Fast paced work environment and challenging at times
I have build great customer base and knowledge of banking and how to meet clients needs by being attentive. I have learned the skill of listening and asking the appropriate questions. How to handle conflict efficiently. I have learned to manage peers and I have help build a team that works collaboratively together to exceed excellent customer service.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough time to help all the clients in the same day due to branch operating hours.
The most enjoyable part of my job is helping clients meet their financial goals and helping the branch succeed in their revenue targets. The interaction with people of all social races is exciting and fulfilling.
Pros
Engaging with clients and peers.
Cons
Could be very stressful at times.
Hostile environment, unapproachable management, don't waste your skills here
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 1, 2016
(Reviewing BMO Nesbitt Burns) For myself and on behalf of many colleagues, not a good experience at all. Short-sighted, tight-fisted, unapproachable managers caused great tension between groups and made it a hostile environment. The company preaches diversity and openness to new ideas, but the firm's actions say otherwise. Hard-working employees are not recognized and old, traditional ways of thinking are rewarded. For the love of god, don't work here and waste your skills in such a thankless environment!!
Pros
Benefits, share program, pension
Cons
Tight-fisted management, old way of thinking, hard work not recognized
good environement
Représentante Service à la clientèle Senior (Current Employee) –  Décarie, QCJuly 22, 2016
its a small/big family, everyone enjoys working as a team to make banking better and easier. Working at the bank of monreal helped me realize who I really am and what am really capable of. Helping client make their life simpler is an achievement at the end of the day.
Wonderful.
assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 16, 2016
I worked as the regional manager's assistant, however, only for a short period of time. I answered phone calls for him, organized his schedules and cleaned out his office. It was a pretty straightforward job. I loved it.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not enough hours
Un-organized
High Risk Collections Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 15, 2016
I was able to learn how to work in a new environment while meeting many individuals. However the organization lacked a lot of organization. They're internal systems require a lot of updates. Great learning experience from a young professional stand-point.
Pros
2 weeks paid for christmas, flexibility with employment
Cons
Un-organized, old systems, not very friendly atmosphere
Csr
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 7, 2016
BMO used to be a great place to work, but recently they've made cut backs and they have affected customers and staff that work in the branch, i don't believe a lot of customers are happy with Bmo but it would be to much of a hassle to move everything out !

There is Lots of pressure at work and management is the worst, definitely re think applying, a majority of staff that work there are looking to leave cause Bmo just doesn't seem to care about there own staff ! They just buy them, and then tell customers they retired

If you have a family with young children this is not a job for you especially if you are a single parent, you will work weekends and late evening if you are in branch.
Pros
Start early leave early, banking discounts
Cons
There is never overtime, if your owed time it's hard for them to compensate you for it.