Bluenotes Employee Reviews

Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 January 2016
No salary benefit since it is only work experience placed from school. Mostly learned how to communicate customers and stock clothing. The fun part of the job is to simply fold and restock the items back to their shelves, on the other hand, I show no interest to fashion so it is really hard to think fashionably for the customers.
Pros
Folding
Bluenotes
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2016
I typical day at work would be coming in and go to the back to take out all the new products from the boxes and organize the clothes and put them on the floor. Iv learned how to treat customers right and mostly everything needed to work in retail. Management was amazing, always with a positive attitude towards the co workers.
My co-workers were always great because we helped one another.
Hardest part of the job had to be marking all the clothes and marking how many of their kind there were.
Most enjoyable part of the job had to be helping customers
Pros
Clean environment
Cons
Non flexible hours
up beat job
Assitant Manager/Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON27 January 2017
Every day was a new experience dealing with customers of all ages. It was fun to be able to give suggestions to customers and see the positive results. The staff were all fun and friendly and made the shifts go by quickly.
Fun, Upbeat working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 March 2017
I enjoyed working at Bluenotes Halifax Shopping Centre. It was a fun, upbeat working environment. The co-workers were awesome!! Although you were at "work" it didn't really feel like you were working.
Great place to start in management
Assisstant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga14 July 2015
As an assistant manager I always had a very busy day due to all the aspects of the job needed to be completed on daily and hourly limits. My days would start off with setting goals for the store as well as individual all in compassion with our last year's margins. Every day of the week, there was a specific task that would need to be completed:
- Visual
- Markdowns
- Measurable Performance Indications
- LP ( I myself was a LP delight)
-Payroll
- Commissions
- Orders
- Shipping
- Scheduling
- Meetings

The hardest part about the job was not having enough staff to complete all the duties in calm matter.

The most enjoyable part of the job was completing all the tasks that you have set for yourself for the day and checking them off one by one as they get completed.
Pros
1 hour lunch for management as well as benefits
Cons
Horrible upper management
bluenotes
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON17 February 2017
I liked working at blue notes the people I worked will were great and I only left because I moved back to Barrie and I like working with customers and helping customers when they need help
Bluenotes
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 February 2017
Bluenotes is a wonderful company to work for, supports employees and their daily lives! Love it there.
the job entitled greeting customers, cleaning the work place, opperating cash and doing returns.
Regular Retail Life
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, Ontario, Canada5 November 2012
Bluenotes is like a typical retail store. You are required to arrive at least 15 minutes before your shift; you may only receive a half hour lunch break if you are working over 5 hours; and not allowed 15 minute breaks. It is a very customer service oriented environment and an employee must be able to multi-task. As a sales person you are expected to greet and assist customers, promote sales, recognize and replenish the merchandise and know how to operate cash.
In a management position, much more is required.
The hardest part of the job was the commute, which was two hours to get there and two hours back. The best part was visual marketing and customer service.
Pros
there are certain incentives for store managers
Cons
does not give raises unless you are promoted
Terrible experience
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario22 June 2016
The experience was terrible. The expectations from head office were totally unreasonable, all about visual everyday. No work /life balance at all. Dreaded going into work everyday. Pay is way below the expectations of the work. Never enough staff working. Head office is totally unorganized and have no respect for anyone.
The only positive feedback was I loved the people that I worked with.
Would never work there again.
Pros
Employees I worked with
Cons
Terrible pay, too much expected, all about tasking, head office needs to get it together
Boring and stagnant
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 February 2016
A typical day at Bluenotes was very simple, I folded and organized many clothes, cleaned the store, and assisted customers. The management at Bluenotes was terrible, did not take the time to build a relationship, instead just made orders without consideration. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the manager. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with specific co-workers and the full time hours. Considering this was my first job, I learned how to work long hours, retail customer service skills, and stock.
was bad
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON31 May 2016
location I worked had had very poor management. Very disorganized, the manager had the employees do everything while she sat on a chair behind the register on her phone. Literally she would spend her 9-hour shift sitting doing nothing and then when other people came in she gave us an impossible list to finish by the end of the night, mind you there would be 2 evening people.....never again.
Management is had to work with.
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 September 2016
I enjoyed working with all the associates, however, the store is a disaster. Incredibly disorganized. Manager does not respond to advice or criticisms and has poor communication skills.
Good music and cute clothing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 April 2016
Lots of folding and rehanging clothes. Greeting customers and answering questions.

I learned how to use a tagging gun and how to make a store more visually appealing.

Management was young but hard working.

Co-workers were helpful and nice! They expect your best effort.

Hardest part of the job greeting every customer while folding clothes. And folding jeans correctly. Long shifts + busy = no time to drink water.

Most enjoyable part was getting to know my co-workers and jamming to the clean playlist
No room for advancement
Team Leader/Acting assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 April 2013
When I first started working at Bluenotes, I was young and it was my first real retail job. As I grew older and became a keyholder I realized that this job has horrible ethics and management. Everyone makes minimum wage and never gets raises or any recognition. This company 'Thriftys' also owns urban planet, suzy shier and sirens. All horrible companies and I dont suggest working for any of them.
Do not work here
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 March 2016
Manager is horrible. Unfair treatment, yells, no positive reinforcement. Complaints to the district manager fall on deaf ears. Favouritism on all schedules. Demoting staff. They assume that work should take priority over everything else. Made to feel horrible for getting sick, guilt tripped into taking extra shifts or working longer than you are supposed to. There was no upside. Pay was not suitable for cost of living in Fort McMurray. Conclusion, management doesn't have a clue. SM is never out of the backroom and gives unreasonable time limits that she cannot meet herself. Team Lead is incompetent and friends with management outside of work. Retaliation is a likely possibility for any complaints which completely negates Bluenotes open door policy.
Pros
Most associates were great but all are under appriciated
Cons
Manager, no positive reinforcement, pay is too low, made to feel bad for taking time off or getting sick, retaliation for complaints, no confidentiality for complaints.
friendly working environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 September 2016
There was alway something to do like stock, NCO, visuals or helping customers. I have learnt a lot about managing the store and improvement in customer service.
Fast pace, fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB3 July 2016
Working at bluenotes was a pleasure, the position I had filled was only for seasonal. The time spent there was enjoyable with great staff and an outstanding employer. I learned to work at a fast pace and multi task to please all customers, the hardest part of the job would have to be pleasing every single customer that came in.
worst place to work
Part-time sales associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2016
when I started working at bluenotes it was really good, now the management is the worst. its a nice place to work for experience
Pros
environment
Cons
hours, pay and management
Great Place to work at
Sales Associate Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 May 2016
Everyone at Bluenotes is very friendly and polite. You learn a lot by associates that have been working for a while. Management is also very nice they understand if you have something going on and cant make it to work, they'll always make sure they follow your availability only.
Management was great, safety was risks were very low, and they all respected you
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON28 June 2016
i really enjoyed working there because the way they spoke to me was as if i was an equal, there was no hierarchy even though all the other employees were more experienced than me, there weren't many health and safety risks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bluenotes. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9