Blue Sky Spectroscopy is a small high-tech company that has been delivering scientific instrumentation for the research, academic, and industrial sectors for over ten years. Our core business is in far-infrared or Terahertz frequency detector and spectrometer systems, with emphasis on infrared Fourier transform spectrometers. We specialize in complete system development from the optical, mechanical and electronic design through to manufacture, assembly, integration and verification of state-of-the-art instrumentation. Blue Sky Spectroscopy is also proud to host the Data Analysis and Processing Centre for the SPIRE imaging Fourier transform spectrometer, one of three scientific payload instruments on the European Space Agency's Herschel space observatory, through funding from the Canadian Space Agency.
Blue Sky Spectroscopy currently sells the world’s most sensitive commercial Fourier Transform Spectrometer (FTS) systems in the very long wavelength Terahertz range. As part of our continuing R&D efforts, we require a senior mechanical engineer with the immediate duties of leading the design, construction and testing of a novel high-speed scanning mechanism, which will ultimately be delivered to one of the largest scientific projects in the world. The position will also involve assisting with the mechanical design and drafting for smaller instrumentation projects as they come in.
The main responsibilities of this position are to provide mechanical engineering design expertise to a small focused team of physicists and to manage a team of subcontracting engineers to complete project deliverables. Duties will include:
- Throurough design and analysis of a precision translation mechanism, involving flexure bearings, lightweight composites, and sub-micron accuracy position metrology.
- Supervising the preparation of material requisitions and work with vendors as required to ensure components procured meet the project requirements
- Review and approve the work of other Engineers to ensure only quality deliverables are issued
- Authorize design specifications, data sheets, computations, and drawings, prepared by others.
- Monitor and maintain schedule and cost milestones in conjunction with the project manager. This will involve conferring with senior management, contractors, consultants and suppliers and the maintenance of Mechanical Engineering office files and procedures.
- Oversee the integration and testing of electrical/mechanical/optical subsystems in prototypes and the final instrument
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in a relevant field of engineering (finite element analysis, precision motion control, high-speed actuators, scientific instrumentation, light-weight composite materials, etc).
- Demonstrated experience with Finite Element Analysis in the design of dynamic mechanisms would be a definite asset.
- Registration as a professional engineer
- The successful applicant must demonstrate the ability to make responsible decisions on engineering related issues. The individual must be ability to work independently, identify knowledge gaps and seek to fill them. The individual will work within a multi-disciplinary team under general direction and guidance relating to objectives and priorities.
Key attributes include: excellent communication and interpersonal skills, a positive attitude with strong relationship skills, calmness under pressure, good stress management skills and a willingness to work flexible hours to meet and complete deadlines. In particular, demonstrated experience producing high-quality project deliverables within tight deadlines is required.
Indeed - 13 months ago
Blue Sky Spectroscopy specializes in custom spectroscopic solutions with emphasis on infrared Fourier transform spectrometers. We specialize...