Blue Buffalo

Blue Buffalo Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Inside of Blue Buffalo Corp Associates
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 30, 2015
My typical day of work is just talking to customers/pet -parents like we have been friends for a very long time, you have to make them trust you.I sell mainly food for dogs and cats and its rated #1 trusted brand all over America and Canada. I trust Blue Buffalo, if there's any type of issue you may have, I can solve that issue by asking you questions and read your behavior with the response you give.

I have learned that there's going to be some situations you can't help them with and there's no product that could help their fur baby. They would just have to take them to the vets. I have learned love that you receive from the pet parents by caring for their fur babies. Trust eventually grows on the pet parents whether it's something you've done or said. Failure to me was never an option, I never gave up, I would do what was best for them.

My management is awesome, she's smart, calm, open-minded, she's there when I need her help, she loves hearing our stories about how our day went but simply discusses how can we make things even better not only for ourselves but the pet-parents too.

The hardest part of the job is not being able to help the pet-parent by the end of the day. It makes me feel terrible, but if we don't have a certain product in stock we get another manager to find this certain product. But there are some cases that I've had where I've told them "I'm sorry but I simply just can't help you any further because your animal needs to go to the vets" then in some cases they come back empty handed. It's difficult very difficult, but the most hardest of all is leaving – more... this job.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to communicate about the pet parents fur babies, they all have quite the personality regardless of how big or small, short or furry. By the end of the day my world evolves around them and just helping them during a time that's needed the most. Make's me feel incredible they are not your ordinary customer they are family. – less
Good company to work for
Pet Detective (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 11, 2014
Pros: discount on products, gifts, good support system
Cons: none to mention
If you love animals Blue is a good company to work for. They are supportive and always available to discuss your job.
Fun sales position
Sales Representative/ Product Demonstrator (Current Employee), On site pet storesNovember 12, 2013
Pros: making your own schedule
Cons: part-time hours
Working for Blue Buffalo allows you the freedom to work for yourself. You get to determine your work schedule, and you given the responsibility self-manage without a direct manager on site.
Terrible Employer. Poor Management and intimidation tactics
Account Manager-Outside Sales (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: none!!
Cons: unappreciative management, lousy pay, threat tactics, poor training, long distance management from the united states, high turnover, poor morale, no perks, no discounts on product
Blue Buffalo is one of the worst condescending organizations. The job was the lowest paying compared to what competitors offered. Although I learned a lot about pet nutrition on my own accord, it was not appreciated. The hours were minimal consisting of 4-8 hours a week if I was lucky. It was an overall boring job standing around. Yet it was very competitive selling against other brand manufacturers when business picked up. No bonuses were ever given for performance. I never met any of the staff except for my manager who I saw twice in two years. They never appreciated the extra hours I did when I had to assist a customer after my shift was completed. They had a very poor reporting system of faxing in time sheets causing miscommunication. This resulted in the manager threatening to fire people who could not get their reports in time because the fax was busy. Although the product is good the marketing and sales infrastructure is the worst I've EVER seen!
The only thing I enjoyed was working with the customers and helping make their pets healthy. Even that was overlooked my management.

March 20, 2013

I think because of us Pet Detectives is the absolute reason why BB is ranked #1 and not because of the commercials or that its the best quality food. There are so many other natural pet foods that are good and affordable such as Simply Nourish to name a few. Not to mention, I am in agreement with you that we should get a discount on the food. How can we afford that on our salaries right? The reporting software or GPL is a joke. I hate the fact that I have to email my manager everytime I put a store a date wrong when creating my schedule.

April 28, 2013

They want you to run around like a chicken with your head cut off to approach everyone. If you spend too much time bonding & educating a pet parent on nutrition they criticize you because there were one or two people you could have approached. The goals are impossible. NO POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT just constant brow beating. I have been with them a few years & have not gotten a raise even though I received a bonus for high sales. Now I see on their job site that they want people to agree to drive 25 mi. That's 50 mi round trip for a 4 hr shift on your dime. So if fuel is $3.50 a gal that's $7 fuel cost not counting oil, tires, insurance, your time etc. They don't pay for 3 hrs a month sending reports & reading & responding to e-mails either. The turn-over rate is phenomenal for a reason ! I am still there because I am hoping to move & it would be helpful to have a job at my new location & possibly a better manager. But from what others have said I doubt that will happen. There are other companies that are good & pay much better.