Put your development skills to use in an industry that will actually reward your creativity (and the free concert tickets don’t hurt either).
Blackburn Radio is a growing London, Ontario based radio broadcast company and we are expanding our digital media unit as we prepare for a year of exciting new projects that will smash the status-quo for radio station websites.
We are looking for a leader with the ideas and know-how to help us create compelling user experiences and push the boundaries of local media.
Check out our current sites at http://blackburnradio.com
- To develop and support an online architecture that enables efficient management of our growing digital portfolio of web and mobile properties.
- To provide expertise and innovative solutions that support the delivery of digital media content to our audience and assist our goals of audience growth and revenue generation.
- To support the smooth 24x7 operation of our digital properties and our various content and technology partners.
The Web Developer will be responsible for the following activities:
- Develop, document and support a standardized digital architecture that enables efficient management of our growing digital portfolio.
- Maintain and support WordPress multisite installation backing 15+ media sites;
- Manage flexible theme framework for efficient website design, including an optimized mobile experience and SEO considerations;
- Identify necessary plugins to improve core site functionality;
- Automate site backup with an efficient recovery plan;
- Implement and support new and existing online applications, including ad serving technology, analytics, streaming media and other custom-built or licensed technology.
- Perform routine site / server maintenance and security activities, including risk management planning and on-call availability to minimize downtime.
- Lead regular code audits and site reviews to test all digital platforms for W3C standards compliance, fix bugs and identify cross-browser compatibility issues.
- Research and report on new technical solutions, competitive site reviews, design best practices, current industry standards and trends, and innovations to help achieve corporate goals.
- Manage DNS and domain name registrations, hosting and other 3rd party services.
- Other duties as required.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Extensive experience with WordPress Multisite, theme development, plugin development and 3rd party plugin-solutions.
- Excellent foundation and demonstrated use of Object-Oriented concepts
- Experience with database concepts and theory; familiarity with MySQL
- Strong user interface design skills with a hip / contemporary design sensibility, including typography, layout and color theory.
- Experience optimizing sites for speed and efficiency, including implementation of cache programs and Content Development Networks (CDNs) when necessary.
- Knowledge of WordPress / server security principles and best practices to mitigate risks.
- Proficiency integrating 3rd party APIs, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, MailChimp, etc.
- Understanding of search technology, indexing and SEO strategy.
- Demonstrated experience with quality assurance, user testing and cross-browser compatibility.
- General understanding of the internet advertising landscape, including measurement metrics, competing ad products (ie. Facebook ads, Google ads, etc.), ad trafficking and delivery.
The successful candidate will demonstrate an entrepreneurial outlook and thrive in a customer-focused environment – you are innovative, self-motivated and able to manage multiple projects and deadlines without supervision.
You understand the importance of accountability and take ownership of your work.
You are a natural communicator with the ability to articulate complex technical ideas for a business-oriented audience.
You readily accept direction, constructive criticism and are able to work with inherited designs.
You are professional, confident and enjoy being the digital expert – continually learning about the latest new media tools and thinking about their application in a real-world setting.
You enjoy being part of a fun, dynamic team who work hard and play hard.
You have a natural interest in music, pop-culture and new-media.
Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or related education / experience.
Preference will be given to developers with 3-5 years of Wordpress development experience. In-house experience with a media corporation is a plus.
Deadline: Sunday, February 17, 2013.
Interested applicants are invited to email a resume and online portfolio demonstrating examples of web design via this posting.
Please ensure that the subject line in your email is 'Web Developer'. Only those candidates selected to interview will be contacted.