BlackBerry Employee Reviews

Very fast paced team environment
Research and Development - Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 February 2014
Good company to work for. Corporate smartphone and service provided. Good benefits package. RRSP contribution matching. Many health incentives. Flex hours available, but not globally enforced [can cause confusion]. Management is approachable, open dialogue encouraged. Typical work is M-F; however, being a smartphone manufacturer it can be difficult to actually "disconnect" from the office.
great place to work
Server Specialist, BlackBerry Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 April 2014
great place some one wants to work. I have learned a great deal regarding BlackBerry technology, BES, BB devices and iOS, Android devices as well.
Management is excellent. Co-workers are very helpful mostly. Work environment is incredible.
I enjoyed learning new things, assisting customers ...
I do still miss BlackBerry.
Pros
great environment, lot of benefits, bonus and overtime opportunities.
Cons
na
nice place to work
Senior Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  waterloo/cambridge21 June 2013
blackberry do care about their staff
lots of benefits
management is tough to handle
friendly work place
Pros
happy work place
Cons
had to work hard to meet the demands of the customers order
Director (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 June 2014
Really enjoyed working at BlackBerry. I was given a lot of opportunities and the pay and benefits were fantastic.
Pros
salary, benefits, bonus pay, culture
Cons
work life balance, stress
Great company to work for
Technical Lead Analyst (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 March 2014
I loved my job with BlackBerry. It was challenging and very rewarding.
Pros
RRSP matching, competitive salary, challenging work
Cons
Job security
Productive workplace
Reliability Lab Operator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 February 2013
Working in a healthy environment with a group of coworkers. Every day was a new challenge for me, working on a different project. Always demanding, and i enjoined fast past and demanding schedule. The hardest part was, many times was required to work overtimes on weekend. Management was reasonable and open minded. I have learned, if you work hard it will always be opportunity to grow.
Pros
free smartphones
A good company
Embedded software designer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 August 2012
RIM is a very good company , in terms of its salary , culture and management ,the only things not good is its marketing strategy ,which is nothing about us developer.
Great potential, Poor VP's
Senior Manager, App Store & Content Marketing (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2014
Great new executives
Great products and services
Poor VP level personnel
Pros
Great benefits and pay is good
Cons
Long hours, Poor VP leadership
Great people, fun place for people to be with 2 table tennis and a cefeteroa
Software Test Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kanata, onratio11 August 2015
Overall I would say that working at BlackBerry was very educational for me. I've learned a lot about Social Media applications, and usage of it in the market when it comes to Mobile devices. I also learned to set different user expectations for Mobile user, compare to Desktop one.
Learned lots of cool technologies, such as NLP, ASR and others
Direct management is usually fine. Never had a problem with a manager. Management usually listen and accepts, as well as direct and dictate when needed.
My team was awesome ! sorry - all my teams where such! the collaboration between Dev and Test is working very well.
There's much work to do at Blackberry, and if you don't mind putting some extra hours at times, you'll do just fine.
Many of the people at Blackberry enjoy either PIng Pong, Foosbal, or board games. You will find lots of people bringing their lunch or bringing their own to the cafeteria, and play a game, or just talk.
Pros
Great people, and lots of 'free time' as mentioned above.
Cons
Right now - the obvious. the big 'unknown' is lurking about everyone.
Currently has very low job security
Automated Test Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 April 2016
Great place to work, but due to the company's current financial position there are many cutbacks and lay offs without any prior notice.
Productive , Innovative and Cooperative and colloborative place to work.
Director NPI Quality (Current Employee) –  Waterloo Ontario22 May 2012
Problems are adressed by experts and there is a very colloborative atmosphere at work, with the will to excel .Some of the problems faced are technically challenging but overcome with team involvement and dedicated work.
Pros
encouraging management
Cons
work life and family life balance
Interesting fast paced work
VALUE STREAM PROJECT MANAGER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON28 November 2013
A typical day as Value Stream Project Manager Assistant was updating and verifying test statuses using excel spreadsheet and various databases as we received 30 to 50 new test submissions per week. Wrote test reports and closed completed test requests. I updated work instructions and procedures that were scheduled for yearly review for my Manager. Also assisted Project managers with sending completed test submissions back to requestors. Worked on gathering data from database for time studies for Six Sigma Green Belt Projects.
I learned about the organizational abilities required to keep the tests moving through the Lab efficiently, detailed features of our inventory system, the various new products being developed and their new features.
Management was open and involved, trying to improve processes for efficient use of time. Co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable, always willing to help.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with incorrect database entries or no updates performed. The most enjoyable part of my job was the variety of functions I got to perform, working with a very skilled group of people and being able to assist many people.
Pros
Great benefits; many learning opportunities, working with skilled people
Was a great place to work
Logistics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo19 November 2013
I loved the Job and the people I worked with. I looked forward to going into work everyday, but with the recent term oil, the job security and the uncertainty, the job itself and the atmosphere became grim and unenjoyably. I hope the new CEO can turn it around and BlackBerry can be a top contender once again.
Good work life balance
Global Manager - Security (Former Employee) –  kanata ,on7 March 2016
Overall a good organization to work for, Unfortunately, BlackBerry has stepped from the limelight as a premier company.
Work was OK but management lacks any management skills
Database Architect (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 March 2013
Learned lot of manufacturing
Learned about new Oracle technologies
Hardest part was lack of communication
Management had no management skills at all
Very technical management which did not help at all
No adequate career training or advancement.
Pros
free bb and tablet.
Cons
always available
Amazing Experience
Environment Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 October 2015
Working for a global company and being a part of the corporate structure taught me key skills I can take with me. No room for people to be creative, out of the box thinking was frowned upon. To much of a dictatorship with senior leaders no imput from employees.
Pros
Excellent pay, benefits.
Cons
No room for growth, no communication
Good and talented people but not a mature company
Manager, SV&V (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 May 2013
BB is a company full of talented individuals but with a level of maturity of that of a start-up as far as processes and best practices go. Management is by and large technically capable but lacks in knowledge of process and business savvy.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Unstable
Excellent, progressive place
Customer Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 April 2012
I spent over 5 years at RIM and they were the best 5 years of my working life. The milieu is great, work is plentiful and the people are the best!
Pros
advancement, great milieu, excellent salary and benefits, telecommute option
Great place to work.
Technical Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 November 2015
Management made very poor decision in hiring process by preferring personal networking over actual skills. Technical jobs were given based on "Who you know than What you know".
WORK ATMOSPHERE WAS GOOD.BUT NO SECURITY IN JOB BECAUSE OF THE CURRENT CRISIS IN BLACKBERRY
Networking Test Engineer-Wifi Direct-Certified (Current Employee) –  MISSISSAUGA19 November 2013
JOB WAS GOOD
WORK LIFE BALANCE WAD THERE
LEARNED NEW THINGS
LOT OF SESSIONS
GOT EXPERIENCE IN NETWORKING RELATED TESTING
THE HARDEST PART IS NO JOB SECURITY
FLEXIBLE
Pros
FREE COFFEES
Cons
NO SECURITY IN JOB

4.2