BlackBerry Employee Reviews in Canada

Typical Day at Work
Software Build and Release Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 7, 2015
Awesome place to work. Lots of challenging work and talented people! Excellent benefits and pay. However, you constantly need to learn and grow!
Despite what you hear on the news, this is still a cool place to work
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  WaterlooFebruary 14, 2015
The company has been completely overhauled over the last few years, not only in terms of management and headcount, but in terms of tools, processes, methodologies. There is also more emphasis on accountability, something that was lacking previously.
You'll have a chance to work on some very interesting, industry leading projects.
Pros
free blackberry and plan, get to work on high profile projects
Cons
not much upward mobility
Great people, fun place for people to be with 2 table tennis and a cefeteroa
Software Test Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kanata, onratioAugust 11, 2015
Overall I would say that working at BlackBerry was very educational for me. I've learned a lot about Social Media applications, and usage of it in the market when it comes to Mobile devices. I also learned to set different user expectations for Mobile user, compare to Desktop one.
Learned lots of cool technologies, such as NLP, ASR and others
Direct management is usually fine. Never had a problem with a manager. Management usually listen and accepts, as well as direct and dictate when needed.
My team was awesome ! sorry - all my teams where such! the collaboration between Dev and Test is working very well.
There's much work to do at Blackberry, and if you don't mind putting some extra hours at times, you'll do just fine.
Many of the people at Blackberry enjoy either PIng Pong, Foosbal, or board games. You will find lots of people bringing their lunch or bringing their own to the cafeteria, and play a game, or just talk.
Pros
Great people, and lots of 'free time' as mentioned above.
Cons
Right now - the obvious. the big 'unknown' is lurking about everyone.
Great place for learning/improving skills
Hardware Designer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 30, 2015
Great people to work with.
I miss so much working at BlackBerry.
Not sure if I will ever find the same level of fun and enjoyment from any job in the future.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Job security
A great internship
Software Validation and Verification (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 2, 2015
I did my internship at RIM midway through my third year of university. It was my first career-related job, and a great one at that. I was lucky to work with a team of dedicated individuals. I learnt a lot regarding how the "IT World" functioned in large companies, as well as how large tasks were divided between teams.
Pros
great management, dedicated coworkers
Cons
micro-tasks become boring after a while
Fun Place to work as a co-op
Hardware Engineering Assistant, Intern (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 15, 2015
Learned a lot about electronic design, and manufacturing. Enjoyed working in a wide variety of areas. Manual testing of devices was the hardest part, very repetitive. Co-workers were fantastic.
Pros
flexible hours, lots to learn
Cons
section shutdown after co-op ended
N/A
Manager Software Development (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 4, 2015
Used to be a solid company to work for but has lost a lot of key people. BlackBerry is looking for a new identity as a company but they are running out of time.
Good experience
Software Tester Associate, Co-op (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 8, 2015
As an intern, they paid really well and taught me a lot.
The people there are great and the work environment is very collaborative.
Pros
solid teams, good pay
Cons
company is not stable and might do layovers any time
reception, data entry, filing, copying, faxing, invoice allocation
Logistics Analyst, (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 24, 2015
reception, filing, copying, mail distribution, invoice allocation. Management in my department was excellent. Co-workers were helpful. The overall atmosphere was very enjoyable as everybody was considerate and helpful.
Pros
grreat benefits
Cons
job security
Nice place to work
DSP Test Developer (Audio), internship (Former Employee) –  Waterloo,ONJune 23, 2015
I used to work as a coop at Blackberry. I love the relatively free business culture and people there. I learned lots of skills, like programming, testing, communication and etc.
Challenging and satisfying environment
Radio Frequency Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 12, 2014
Team huddle kicked off the shift with projected outcome,possible issues and team for specific tasks.The multiple challenges in a given shift and the methods used to overcome them created a sense of confidence and unleashed new problem solving skills which can be shared with any given team in the future for any company.Co - workers believed in team spirit and working towards achieving goals coupled with Five S +1 environmental attitude resulted in further optimization of productivity in an efficient way.A continuous learning environment with great compensation and building a product that is valued across the globe added professional spice to working.
Exciting faced paced environment to work in.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 9, 2015
Working at BlackBerry was a great experience, I was given meaningful work from day 1 and was allowed to grow into a respected Project Manager. It's a faced paced environment and I got to interact with a number of cross functional groups, which has given me a great understanding of the whole business structure.
a great place to work
Configuration Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 30, 2015
I learned so much in 12 years at BlackBerry.I enjoyed working with every one there. Lots of great people in the company. I worked with many teams and released so many BlackBerry products.
Working at Blackberry
Hardware Platform Integration Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 22, 2014
A typical day would involve a team meeting. After check-in's and goals were set, the team would separate and work on their individual tasks.
I learned how to better research and design.
I learned how to populate SMT boards better and more effectively.
I learned how to better my communication skills, in terms of team presentations and report writing.

My co-workers were all friendly.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with lack of support in things like software development when we were strictly working on hardware projects.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to say that I worked at Blackberry and that I got to be part of several Patents applications
Great Workplace depending on the team
Product Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 29, 2015
It was a great company to work at with a competitive salary and lots of perks. Getting a company phone was really nice, especially since I was an intern. Typical day as an Operations specialist involved a lot of analysis in excel on product configurations and packaging. I also used a proprietary ERP system to maintain parts catalogues and create instructional sets for use by warehouse staff all around the world. There was a lot of independent work involving excel and somewhat boring analysis but that was nicely balanced by a management team which was very active and always looking to enhance my development.

I will say that some cross functional work with other teams was sometimes unpleasant due to the fact that there were many lay-offs occurring at the time. Individuals and groups with less job security are of course going to lack the motivation and positive attitude they once had.
Pros
You get a blackberry!
Cons
Some negative attitudes during restructuring
productive
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 29, 2015
Blackberry is a great company to work for, had great people to work with, and is a very clean and safe enviorment.The benefits were amazing and the work was fair.
Great small highly specialized team
Partner - Enterprise Architecture & Delivery (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2014
Strong accomplished, credible, results-driven practitioner with extensive hands-on, in Program/Project applications and development with delivery management experience motivated group. RIMG counts with demonstrated ability to foster cost-effective operational improvements. Paired with a great reputation for delivering rapid and sustained increases to profitability transformation delivery programs and projects across multiple geographies.
Pros
small, smart, motivated and credible
Cons
still small
Productive and enjoyable place to work
BlackBerry Technical Server Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NSSeptember 8, 2014
This was a great place to work, the people and teams I worked with were very supportive of one another, while management promoted knowledge, training and advancement.

The head office in Waterloo, ON decided to close the CSO, Customer Support Operations satellite office in Bedford, NS at the end of the year 2013. This was a disappointment to myself and the other employees who were laid off, but now I am excited to take all the knowledge, skills and experience I have gained from this job onto my next job opportunity.
Fun workplace, professionalism, team work, encouraging everyday.
Software Developer (co-op) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 5, 2014
Lets consider a typical day:
- start working on JIRA issues assigned by Team Lead.
- understand the issue and make some alternate solutions.
- discuss the solutions with issue-relevant senior team-member.
- submit the change in git for code-review.
- make changes in code based on code-review, if any.
- end of the day : team meeting to report individual's work to Team Lead.

Co-worker are friendly.
Pros
employee benifits
Cons
long meetings
Productive, fast pace environment
Partner Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 22, 2014
I enjoyed working at BlackBerry. My years with this company was very much enjoyed and appreciated. I gained many skills and made great friends who are now like family.
For the most part I had great managers. Most were exceptional and listened and involved us in processes and changes. I learned to work collaboratively with team mates to create from scratch processes and procedures for a newly developed team and to continue to manage and update these processes.
The most enjoyable part of the job was providing the customers with information that they required and also handling their account on a daily basis to ensure thing ran seamlessly and effectively.
Pros
flexibility

4.2