BlackBerry Employee Reviews

Rapidly evolving workplace
Consumer Advocacy Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 December 2013
Fun to work for a company in a fast pasted competitive industry. Very vertical management structure which led to slow decision making. Culture wasn't great as the company's financial problems mounted and downsizing was recurrent.
Pros
Free smartphones, pretty loose culture, good work life balance
Cons
weak upper management, bureaucratic
reception, data entry, filing, copying, faxing, invoice allocation
Logistics Analyst, (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 March 2015
reception, filing, copying, mail distribution, invoice allocation. Management in my department was excellent. Co-workers were helpful. The overall atmosphere was very enjoyable as everybody was considerate and helpful.
Pros
grreat benefits
Cons
job security
Great people and a lot of interesting projects
Director (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 October 2015
Good opportunity for career development, kind of start-up work environment, opportunity to apply innovative management approaches, great people and a lot of interesting projects.
Very stimulating and creative environment
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 February 2014
This company has seen better days but I believe that it can still provide a very stimulating work environment.

The best benefit for working at Blackberry is that they will pay for all your cell phone charges for personal and business. They encourage their employees to use the cell phone and report problems before they release them to the general public.

Blackberry usually pays more than what is offered in the local job market.

You will typically work in a team environment and collaborate on a daily basis. The internal wikis are full of information to help you get started with different projects or technologies.

The hard part of this job is that competition in the mobile world is very fierce. There is a lot of pressure to come up with a new phone every year with lots of new features. The good side of this is that the company really believes in innovation and will spend a lot of effort to try out new ideas and concepts.
Pros
Innovation is part of the culture
Cons
No long term job security
Good Technology
System Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 November 2015
Good Technology
Good Pay
Flexible working hours
Except for Job Security and Management, it is excellent place to work with.
Good company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 February 2016
Overall it's a good company to work for. BlackBerry has attracted talented employees who are extremely dedicated to their work and strive for excellence in what they do.
Pros
Very professional technical staff.
Cons
Work life balance is inconsistent across departments.
BlackBerry is a great place for Co-op opportunities.
Software Tool Developer (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 March 2016
BlackBerry gave me a very good opportunity to learn, work and improve my technical skills. It is a great place to start your career.
Company struggled through adversity in the market
BlackBerryTechnical and Server Support Rep (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 August 2014
Company started excellent prior to competition narrowing the tech gap then quickly lost ground - internally and externally.
Pros
Good pay, benefits and Work environment (early years)
Cons
Management confusion, job security, Work environment (recent years)
Productive and enjoyable place to work
BlackBerry Technical Server Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS8 September 2014
This was a great place to work, the people and teams I worked with were very supportive of one another, while management promoted knowledge, training and advancement.

The head office in Waterloo, ON decided to close the CSO, Customer Support Operations satellite office in Bedford, NS at the end of the year 2013. This was a disappointment to myself and the other employees who were laid off, but now I am excited to take all the knowledge, skills and experience I have gained from this job onto my next job opportunity.
Amazing work atmosphere and energy despite current predicament
Enterprise Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 March 2014
When I was brought onboard, the company was already being described as a sinking ship but only when I got to working on the inside did I realize that everyone had a vision that they were working hard to execute upon and bring to life. Management was very precise as to what they wanted and because of a lot of the cutbacks, I was involved in many cross departmental projects and as a result of this it gave a meaningful understanding of what I was doing and how exactly it affected the organization. Despite the negative media storm around the company, day to day activities were the same and seldom did it affect anything work related. Management definitely encouraged and wanted their employees to learn more and excel in their own professional careers and offered lots of training in order to better attain these goals.
Pros
Lots of support, Strong foundation, Somewhat flexible on timings, Learn a lot in the fast paced industry BlackBerry stands in.
Cons
Variable disconnects in management at times, Lack of communication sometimes.
Not enough time in company to write review
Process Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 June 2016
Not enough time in company to write review. But RIM at the time had great reputation. wanted to a part of cool technology.
Pros
Good name brand
Cons
Too many people
Electronic Assembler
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON24 December 2015
Blackberry is professional company to work with. I really enjoyed everyday working in Blackberry. Work culture is really good and employees feel pleasure working in the company.
Fast paced working environment
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 June 2014
A great environment where employees are encouraged to take risks, and develop new technologies. Direction from management is typically "We need to accomplish this - figure out how to do it, do it, then report back to me". Independent thinking is encouraged.
Pros
The pace of the work environment was dynamic, fluid, Exciting, exhilrating.
Cons
Less job security. The leadership, lacking vision, direction, and insight into the marketplace. Too many leaders contaminated the organization.
BlackBerry is a great place to work in, especially the culture and people.
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 June 2015
The experience and knowledge gained at Blackberry is invaluable. The culture and people make you feel at home and makes you want to work hard for the excess of the company.
Pros
lots of room for self development and training
Cons
unstable industry
very clean and organized enviroment.
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 July 2015
Working there was really fun as we got to learn many new things on different products such as phones. The management there was really good as they took care of their epmloyees very well. My co workers were very friendly as i am also a very helpful and friendly person myself.
benefits
Used to be great
Director (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 March 2014
BlackBerry used to be a great company to work for but senior management (VP and above) have made bad decision after bad decision. They have fostered a culture that rewards "Yes People" over doing the right thing.
The company used to be about being the best and doing the best job but most of those people are gone.
Hopefully the new management team can change things around and reverse BlackBerry's fortunes.
Pros
Free BlackBerry and service
Cons
lack of stability, poor middle management, most of the best people have left
A place to work, grow and contribute to success
TL - R&D (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 May 2014
Super friendly people and place ever.
If you bring your best to your work, you can get whatever you want, everything can be approved for you.
Very friendly management team, but sometime it can be slow in making decision, which is no longer the case now.
Co-workers are very friendly and laugh with you at all the time.
The company treat its employees very very nice.
Pros
career enhancement
Cons
Sometime good technical folks promotted to management and they start performing bad.
great lunch room and working in group environment
Mobile QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 July 2013
Running test cases, reviewing test cases, participating in multiple projects.

I gained the knowledge of testing mobile application on different mobile os system. I developed regression and functional testing skills in mobile devices

I was under very minimum supervision, It is mostly self management,

Co-worker are very supportive to each other.

working long hours and lunch room is very big.

I enjoy working with the newest blackberry phone.
Very fast paced team environment
Research and Development - Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 February 2014
Good company to work for. Corporate smartphone and service provided. Good benefits package. RRSP contribution matching. Many health incentives. Flex hours available, but not globally enforced [can cause confusion]. Management is approachable, open dialogue encouraged. Typical work is M-F; however, being a smartphone manufacturer it can be difficult to actually "disconnect" from the office.
A great internship
Software Validation and Verification (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 February 2015
I did my internship at RIM midway through my third year of university. It was my first career-related job, and a great one at that. I was lucky to work with a team of dedicated individuals. I learnt a lot regarding how the "IT World" functioned in large companies, as well as how large tasks were divided between teams.
Pros
Great Management, Dedicated Coworkers
Cons
Micro-tasks become boring after a while

4.2