BlackBerry

BlackBerry Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great people, fun place for people to be with 2 table tennis and a cefeteroa
Software Test Specialist (Former Employee), Kanata, onratioAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Great people, and lots of 'free time' as mentioned above.
Cons: Right now - the obvious. the big 'unknown' is lurking about everyone.
Overall I would say that working at BlackBerry was very educational for me. I've learned a lot about Social Media applications, and usage of it in the market when it comes to Mobile devices. I also learned to set different user expectations for Mobile user, compare to Desktop one.
Learned lots of cool technologies, such as NLP, ASR and others
Direct management is usually fine. Never had a problem with a manager. Management usually listen and accepts, as well as direct and dictate when needed.
My team was awesome ! sorry - all my teams where such! the collaboration between Dev and Test is working very well.
There's much work to do at Blackberry, and if you don't mind putting some extra hours at times, you'll do just fine.
Many of the people at Blackberry enjoy either PIng Pong, Foosbal, or board games. You will find lots of people bringing their lunch or bringing their own to the cafeteria, and play a game, or just talk.
Very Productive and fun work place with Pool table
Software Test Associate (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 10, 2015
Best place to work in canada. They have cutting edge technology and awesome work environment. Regular team lunch, social events for employees.
Typical Day at Work
Software Build and Release Developer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 7, 2015
Awesome place to work. Lots of challenging work and talented people! Excellent benefits and pay. However, you constantly need to learn and grow!
N/A
Manager Software Development (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 4, 2015
Used to be a solid company to work for but has lost a lot of key people. BlackBerry is looking for a new identity as a company but they are running out of time.
very clean and organized enviroment.
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 28, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: none
Working there was really fun as we got to learn many new things on different products such as phones. The management there was really good as they took care of their epmloyees very well. My co workers were very friendly as i am also a very helpful and friendly person myself.
Productive fun place to work
Software Testing Specialist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Ice cream fridays
Cons: Stay back longer hours to meet deadlines for SRR
Worked on BB Web Works and other Eclipse based projects at RIM. Ran test cases for smoke, regression, release testing for projects on HP QC or MKS Integrity. Logged defects in DevTrack, JIRA tools and followed up with development for testing on new features and verify issues. Participated in team building event and other fun activities during the term at BlackBerry.
Fun work place
Software Test Specialist II (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Work-life balance is good in this company, relatively flexible working hours, very encouraging work environment, competitive salary with good benefits, it still has some great people left
Cons: Senior Management has been changed frequently, Sometimes make poor management decisions
Very good place to work if you want work/life balance. Work-life balance is good in this company, relatively flexible working hours, very encouraging work environment, competitive salary with good benefits, it still has some great people left.
Workplace that gets the best out of you
Wireless Protocol Tester (Intern) (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 8, 2015
Member of Inter-operability Testing (IOT) group assigned various projects related to LTE, HSPA, UMTS, E-EDGE & EDGE, GPRS & GSM testing on BlackBerry devices. Major tasks included test case creation using 3GPP specifications, device log analysis and carrying out test cases on prototype and current devices.
Created test cases for IOT requirements on LTE by researching LTE specifications.
Analysis of defects (e.g. Call drop, device reset etc) using methods such as observing device and network logs as well as in house graphical tools.
Defect Reporting & Analysis using MKS Integrity and DevTrack clients. Defect resolution through co-ordination with developers and senior IOT team members
Energetic and fun place to work at with terrific co-workers
Logistics Analyst - Freight Cost and Audit (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 2, 2015
A fantastic company with an abundance of talented professional co-workers. BlackBerry has a fast-paced work environment but is flexible and fair towards their employees.
Great place for learning/improving skills
Hardware Designer (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJune 30, 2015
Pros: Great people
Cons: Job security
Great people to work with.
I miss so much working at BlackBerry.
Not sure if I will ever find the same level of fun and enjoyment from any job in the future.
productive
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 29, 2015
Blackberry is a great company to work for, had great people to work with, and is a very clean and safe enviorment.The benefits were amazing and the work was fair.
BlackBerry is a great place to work in, especially the culture and people.
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 26, 2015
Pros: lots of room for self development and training
Cons: unstable industry
The experience and knowledge gained at Blackberry is invaluable. The culture and people make you feel at home and makes you want to work hard for the excess of the company.
Working for RIM was probably the greatest factory job a person could ask for. I LOVED working there
Quality Control Tester (Former Employee), Waterloo. ONJune 24, 2015
I worked at RIM for several years and quickly moved my way up the latter. I started as a line worker and ended up moving into quality control. I worked there to save for school and that's exactly what I did. Hardest part of my job was the switching 2 weeks days 2 weeks nights, but we were treated great!
Nice place to work
DSP Test Developer (Audio), internship (Former Employee), Waterloo,ONJune 23, 2015
I used to work as a coop at Blackberry. I love the relatively free business culture and people there. I learned lots of skills, like programming, testing, communication and etc.
Productive and Fun Environment
Process & Functional Analyst - Sales & Finance (Current Employee), Waterloo,ONJune 22, 2015
Working in a large company definitely has its usual perks, but easy to grow within the company. Working at BlackBerry i was able to grow within and expand on my professional skill and experiences
bad management
Hardware Design Technician (Former Employee), waterlooJune 18, 2015
-bad management team. going trough lay off process every end of quarter
-nobody takes responsibility for mistakes
-not able in 10 years to design their processor. relying on Qualcom solution so the designers were actually doing only design verification job.
Good place to work in early years, not a secure place now
Manager, Supply Chain Excellence (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 17, 2015
Pros: Compensation and benefits were very good
Cons: Insecurity of the job due to massive lay offs, long hours
Very challenging, with very long hours and heavy workload during the expansion years.

Improved a lot on processes and procedures during the years, learned something new every day

Management changed often that affected company performance, sometimes I felt they were looking more for personal interests rather than company interests, which reflected on company perfomance on the last years

Co-workers very profesional and good work conduct, not a friendly place though

Most enjoyable part was the travelling to different manufacturing locations, working closely with colleagues from other departments, knowing them better, learning about different sides of the business
Good experience
Software Tester Associate, Co-op (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 8, 2015
Pros: solid teams, good pay
Cons: company is not stable and might do layovers any time
As an intern, they paid really well and taught me a lot.
The people there are great and the work environment is very collaborative.
Productive place to work
Senior Buyer, Commodities, Senior Tooling Buyer (Current Employee), Waterloo, OntarioJune 8, 2015
Blackberry is an excellent place to work. Unfortunately sales have declined and in turn, the workforce has as well.

I learned a lot while working here. i am fluent in many areas of supply chain and manufacturing.

The hardest part about leaving Blackberry is my coworkers... but, i look forward to a change and new opportunities!
A great place to work with no opportunities for growth
Sr. Manager, Global Systems Test Engineering (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 2, 2015
Pros: Recognition
Cons: Uncertainity
- Really satisfied with the accomplishments
- Set up new test teams, processes
- Responsible for delivering many successful handheld devices
- Responsible for managing large time on site and off shore
- Been part of BlackBerry's long turn around process