BlackBerry Employee Reviews in Canada

Great place to learn, and experience, cutting edge technologies
ECBAM, Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 5, 2015
Working at BlackBerry was one of the highlights of my career thus far. Everyone there was an expert in the areas that they were in, and were also all open to share their knowledge with one another. The C Level Management, especially of late, were diligent in every decision and moved forward as one cohesive unit. Any emerging technology that others were just learning of, were most likely already been used for many months prior from other departments within the company. I loved my tenure there, and would highly recommend others to apply.
Pros
great learning experiences, renumeration above others in the industry
Excellent workplace to work and develop the career
Cost Analyst - Finance (Former Employee) –  WaterlooMarch 25, 2014
RIM is excellent workplace with a perfect life/work balance. It is place to educate and develop your professional career. Management is excellent who take care of their employee in terms of benefits, life development, career and educational development.

Salary wise is also affordable to run your life

Your team member are well trained and so friendly to educate your self

Overall excellent
Pros
free stretch break for your health
Cons
some time long hours of work at home also
I was doing okay for a while.
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 18, 2012
I was hired as an electronic assembler. My job spanned both assembly as well as quality control. I had learned to build several different Blackberry products during my time there. My co-workers were fairly decent on the whole, a rare few were exceptional. The hardest part of my job was usually when they ran out of production for us to work on. However, I did enjoy the work, when it was available.
Pros
tried to maintain a positive work environment, excellent benefits, good wage
Cons
no room for advancement, management was mediocre at best, there was tension before people were let go, most training material we had to review during down time did not for our department or was out-dated
Was once the best place to work
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 25, 2014
Having worked at bigger companies in USA, when I moved to canada to join BlackBerry I was shocked to see the sheer talent this company has. That combined with the employee loyalty, I could not comprehend why this company is not numero uno in the technology world.
Anyhow my first couple of years at BlackBerry were just amazing, probably the best of my career. After the founders decided to call quits and the management has never been up to the mark. None of the new CEO's or executive team value R&D anymore. Its all about making money and making business profitable.
BlackBerry leadership has low ambition for its talent pool, and that is the sadest part. BlackBerry is now mostly a software company, with very limited hardware and RnD.
Come and work here for canadian pride, talented colleagues, and good package. But if you are looking to change the way world uses tech look elsewhere.
Pros
good salary, talented colleagues
Cons
executives and management with low ambition for company talent
Amazing Experience
Environment Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 7, 2015
Working for a global company and being a part of the corporate structure taught me key skills I can take with me. No room for people to be creative, out of the box thinking was frowned upon. To much of a dictatorship with senior leaders no imput from employees.
Pros
Excellent pay, benefits.
Cons
No room for growth, no communication
Great people, fun place for people to be with 2 table tennis and a cefeteroa
Software Test Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kanata, onratioAugust 11, 2015
Overall I would say that working at BlackBerry was very educational for me. I've learned a lot about Social Media applications, and usage of it in the market when it comes to Mobile devices. I also learned to set different user expectations for Mobile user, compare to Desktop one.
Learned lots of cool technologies, such as NLP, ASR and others
Direct management is usually fine. Never had a problem with a manager. Management usually listen and accepts, as well as direct and dictate when needed.
My team was awesome ! sorry - all my teams where such! the collaboration between Dev and Test is working very well.
There's much work to do at Blackberry, and if you don't mind putting some extra hours at times, you'll do just fine.
Many of the people at Blackberry enjoy either PIng Pong, Foosbal, or board games. You will find lots of people bringing their lunch or bringing their own to the cafeteria, and play a game, or just talk.
Pros
Great people, and lots of 'free time' as mentioned above.
Cons
Right now - the obvious. the big 'unknown' is lurking about everyone.
reception, data entry, filing, copying, faxing, invoice allocation
Logistics Analyst, (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 24, 2015
reception, filing, copying, mail distribution, invoice allocation. Management in my department was excellent. Co-workers were helpful. The overall atmosphere was very enjoyable as everybody was considerate and helpful.
Pros
grreat benefits
Cons
job security
Productive and fun place
Application Development (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Great memories and learning experience.My supervisors were really helpful and taught me a lot.

I have learned great skill set while on coop which is definitely helped me a lot
Pros
free snacks
Cons
high pressure
Working at BlackBerry
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioOctober 21, 2015
Great place to work, lots of opportunity to move around and try new vocations and career paths. Wish everyone at BlackBerry well and GOOD LUCK!
Amazing experience
KPI PERFORMACE TESTER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 4, 2016
loved it, I did everything that i ever dreamed of doing. Worked on new devices all the time, created new testing scripts, tested DC power consumption.
Excellent company. Low stock market was their downfall.
Security Guard / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NSSeptember 18, 2015
Blackberry was an excellent company to work for. Every day was a learning experience. Management were people oriented. The co-workers were team oriented. Everyone helping others. It was a fast paced environment. Being rewarded for a good job done.
Pros
Exciting environment. Very infectious.
Cons
Can't think of a con.
A good company to work for
Senior IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 1, 2015
Talented people, innovative technology, new stuff to learn everyday, exciting work environment. The hardest part of the job is no job security with no advancement opportunities nowadays.
Enjoyed my BlackBerry years
Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 14, 2015
I enjoyed my years at BlackBerry. There were many great people to work with and to learn from. The hardest part of the job in the last few years has been the waning morale do to the continued downsizing of the BlackBerry workforce.
Pros
Flexible hours, Good compensation, Christmas break closure
Cons
Shrinking workforce, poor morale
One of if not the best job I ever had
Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 22, 2014
Excellent place to work.
Peers were great to work with and everyone tried to help each other.
Management was there for direction but not overbearing.

It was a job and no place is perfect, but I will miss them.
It really is a shame they are in the trouble they are in.

Wishing them the best.

PS: For some reason I can only check one star for "overall rating" and I had to check two stars for "Job security/advancement".
Pros
great place to work.
Cons
typical r&d with long hours and no set time schedule.
Prior to 2009 BlackBerry was a great place to work
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 25, 2014
Prior to 2009 BlackBerry was a great place to work. The culture was a fun, easy going place to work with lots of activities and enough work to keep you consistently busy. After the decline of BlackBerry the culture soon became very demanding with poor upper management. A lack of vision prevented the company from succeeding against it's competition.
Pros
plenty of career advancement and competitive salaries
Cons
many lazy people and poor leadership from above
Good Company
Network Operations Centre (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 27, 2015
Good company with a nice product and great employees. Management needs to be proactive. Will be a great company again after focusing on employees and products.
Very good place to work despite what outsider may say
Security Software Test Designer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 30, 2015
It's a great place to work, the work itself is great, get to work on challenging problems. The company is on a comeback. Also, the team you work with is probably going to be top notch in their field.
Fun place to work with good pay/bonus/benefits
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 21, 2013
My professional career at BlackBerry thus far has assisted me with growing in experience and knowledge in many areas including: working under tight deadlines, oral and written communication skills, critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills, as well as organizational, time management and multi-tasking. These are all areas in which I continue to show great strength. All of the above skills have given me an opportunity to show employers my strengths, which has also given employers the confidence to put me in positions of greater responsibility and leadership.

I have been given many wonderful opportunities to grow in leadership roles which I demonstrated by starting and leading the Social Committee for my department.

I have the utmost respect for my bosses and my colleagues. I have been the Executive Assistant to the Vice President, two directors and the Senior Vice President and have demonstrated very strong time management, organizational and problem solving skills.

The most enjoyable part of my position would have to be the people I work with. I feel very blessed to have met everyone I work with and really enjoy the work hard and have fun environment that BlackBerry Security promotes.
Pros
benefits/salary/bonus/vacation/fun
Cons
job security
WORK EAT SLEEP
Mobile Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 4, 2013
Never know why work comes to a stop and your looking for something to do to fill your day. Lots to learn but there is a lot of people that will stop you from learning or RED tape or walls put up by people just for no reason. Management are idiots unless they put the time into learning the process finding the ups and downs, finding the root causes of problems. Not demanding results and not knowing the idea why things are not going the way they are. People or co-works are great you will learn more from them, then the managers. They know what they are doing and without them you got nothing to show for it as a company. Saying good bye or the lack of it when its your last day or not even knowing its your last day the cooled part of the company where they lie to your face just before they let you go.
Pros
events, have fun while you work
Cons
hours, all the politics
Great place to work...if you can stay.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioMarch 6, 2014
9-5 style work environment, easy-going atmosphere. I think I was lucky to have an awesome manager and director, but higher-ups seem to lack real direction. Mushroom management and mushroom employees are everywhere. i.e. You may be kept in the dark about what is 'really' going on unless you happen to talk to the right person. Co-workers were great to work with. Hardest part of the job was keeping to up-to-date on the all the technologies that everyone wanted to put into the products, some of it didn't make any sense. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about why products are designed and made they way they are.
Pros
get to work on the latest technology and newest smartphones designs.
Cons
no room for promotions or career advancement.

4.2