BlackBerry Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Place to Work
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 4, 2015
Great managers, good co workers. Fast paced, challenging and I learned a lot of things. Lots of room for advancement, loved my job
Pros
Benefits, Gym membership, Good cafeteria and good paying.
Cons
If you like politics, irrational management and departmental infighting ..this is the place for you.
Operations (Former Employee) –  WaterlooNovember 12, 2012
I looked at all the positive reviews and wonder if these other people worked at the same company? While gaining a lot of experience there I don't think I would ever go back.

So many people laid off recently to "save" money, while a great deal of hiring continues. Potentially ruining lives to look good in the media. Not my idea of a company who values it's people.

The problem with having a revolutionary product is that everything looks great on the outside while there is chaos on the inside. When the product isn't revolutionary anymore all you have left is the chaos and hence the downward spiral. Duplication, mismanagement, poor and inconsistent leadership, and disregard for long term benefits over short term gains are not new to this company.
Pros
people
Cons
management
Fast paced, but comfortable environment
Shipping Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 5, 2014
This company has treated me well. I've been well paid, received great benefits and although I failed to advance in the company due to position cancellations and lay-offs, I still feel the company wants me to succeed.

The work environment, outside the fear of job loss, is pleasant. They try hard to make a pleasant atmosphere. Management wants everyone to succeed, learn and grow.

I enjoy the paperwork, interacting with third parties and really find satisfaction when I do my job well, and shipments move out smoothly.

Some days a very stressful, interacting with parts of the company that do not understand a shipping timeline. We cannot pick, wrap and ship 30 pallets on the same day, so we do the best we can.

I've learned so much from this company, about business, about interaction, about software, logistics, regulations and customs.
Pros
good pay and benefits, despite the situation
Cons
it's still a struggling company.... which outsourced and cut my job.
Electronic Assembler
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONDecember 24, 2015
Blackberry is professional company to work with. I really enjoyed everyday working in Blackberry. Work culture is really good and employees feel pleasure working in the company.
Great people and a lot of interesting projects
Director (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 4, 2015
Good opportunity for career development, kind of start-up work environment, opportunity to apply innovative management approaches, great people and a lot of interesting projects.
Used to be a fun place to work
LAB OPERATIONS TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 5, 2016
Drive for innovation has been lost, hopefully it can return to what it used to be. The culture also needs to change. The hardest part of the job is not knowing if you will have a job tomorrow.
Excellent workplace to work and develop the career
Cost Analyst - Finance (Former Employee) –  WaterlooMarch 25, 2014
RIM is excellent workplace with a perfect life/work balance. It is place to educate and develop your professional career. Management is excellent who take care of their employee in terms of benefits, life development, career and educational development.

Salary wise is also affordable to run your life

Your team member are well trained and so friendly to educate your self

Overall excellent
Pros
free stretch break for your health
Cons
some time long hours of work at home also
Productive and fun place
Application Development (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Great memories and learning experience.My supervisors were really helpful and taught me a lot.

I have learned great skill set while on coop which is definitely helped me a lot
Pros
free snacks
Cons
high pressure
Amazing experience
KPI PERFORMACE TESTER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 4, 2016
loved it, I did everything that i ever dreamed of doing. Worked on new devices all the time, created new testing scripts, tested DC power consumption.
Very good place to work despite what outsider may say
Security Software Test Designer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 30, 2015
It's a great place to work, the work itself is great, get to work on challenging problems. The company is on a comeback. Also, the team you work with is probably going to be top notch in their field.
Great place to work.
Technical Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 18, 2015
Management made very poor decision in hiring process by preferring personal networking over actual skills. Technical jobs were given based on "Who you know than What you know".
Great people, fun place for people to be with 2 table tennis and a cefeteroa
Software Test Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kanata, onratioAugust 11, 2015
Overall I would say that working at BlackBerry was very educational for me. I've learned a lot about Social Media applications, and usage of it in the market when it comes to Mobile devices. I also learned to set different user expectations for Mobile user, compare to Desktop one.
Learned lots of cool technologies, such as NLP, ASR and others
Direct management is usually fine. Never had a problem with a manager. Management usually listen and accepts, as well as direct and dictate when needed.
My team was awesome ! sorry - all my teams where such! the collaboration between Dev and Test is working very well.
There's much work to do at Blackberry, and if you don't mind putting some extra hours at times, you'll do just fine.
Many of the people at Blackberry enjoy either PIng Pong, Foosbal, or board games. You will find lots of people bringing their lunch or bringing their own to the cafeteria, and play a game, or just talk.
Pros
Great people, and lots of 'free time' as mentioned above.
Cons
Right now - the obvious. the big 'unknown' is lurking about everyone.
Very fast paced team environment
Research and Development - Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 18, 2014
Good company to work for. Corporate smartphone and service provided. Good benefits package. RRSP contribution matching. Many health incentives. Flex hours available, but not globally enforced [can cause confusion]. Management is approachable, open dialogue encouraged. Typical work is M-F; however, being a smartphone manufacturer it can be difficult to actually "disconnect" from the office.
Fun workplace, professionalism, team work, encouraging everyday.
Software Developer (co-op) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 5, 2014
Lets consider a typical day:
- start working on JIRA issues assigned by Team Lead.
- understand the issue and make some alternate solutions.
- discuss the solutions with issue-relevant senior team-member.
- submit the change in git for code-review.
- make changes in code based on code-review, if any.
- end of the day : team meeting to report individual's work to Team Lead.

Co-worker are friendly.
Pros
employee benifits
Cons
long meetings
Working at BlackBerry
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioOctober 21, 2015
Great place to work, lots of opportunity to move around and try new vocations and career paths. Wish everyone at BlackBerry well and GOOD LUCK!
great place to work
Server Specialist, BlackBerry Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 22, 2014
great place some one wants to work. I have learned a great deal regarding BlackBerry technology, BES, BB devices and iOS, Android devices as well.
Management is excellent. Co-workers are very helpful mostly. Work environment is incredible.
I enjoyed learning new things, assisting customers ...
I do still miss BlackBerry.
Pros
great environment, lot of benefits, bonus and overtime opportunities.
Cons
na
Company struggled through adversity in the market
BlackBerryTechnical and Server Support Rep (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 26, 2014
Company started excellent prior to competition narrowing the tech gap then quickly lost ground - internally and externally.
Pros
good pay, benefits and work environment (early years)
Cons
management confusion, job security, work environment (recent years)
Worked with very talented people on great technologies and products.
SR PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 8, 2015
BlackBerry was a company that brought together so many talented individuals in various areas. This group of individuals produced a lot of great products and technologies.
As an Automation Test Developer
Automation Test Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 10, 2015
I worked at BlackBerry (for 5 years). I learned a lot experience about testing, automation developing and software development skills.
Pros
Lots of challenge, Friendly people and swell environment, Working with such a great team is what makes working at Blackberry so amazing
Cons
Unstable, Feel so bad watching friends and colleagues leaving
Fun place to work with good pay/bonus/benefits
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 21, 2013
My professional career at BlackBerry thus far has assisted me with growing in experience and knowledge in many areas including: working under tight deadlines, oral and written communication skills, critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills, as well as organizational, time management and multi-tasking. These are all areas in which I continue to show great strength. All of the above skills have given me an opportunity to show employers my strengths, which has also given employers the confidence to put me in positions of greater responsibility and leadership.

I have been given many wonderful opportunities to grow in leadership roles which I demonstrated by starting and leading the Social Committee for my department.

I have the utmost respect for my bosses and my colleagues. I have been the Executive Assistant to the Vice President, two directors and the Senior Vice President and have demonstrated very strong time management, organizational and problem solving skills.

The most enjoyable part of my position would have to be the people I work with. I feel very blessed to have met everyone I work with and really enjoy the work hard and have fun environment that BlackBerry Security promotes.
Pros
benefits/salary/bonus/vacation/fun
Cons
job security

4.2