BlackBerry Employee Reviews

Software Engineer in Test
Software Development Engineer in Test (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON5 October 2016
I worked as a contractor at Blackberry's Kanata offices. I had a great 6 months there. The co-workers were top notch and the work was really technically advanced compared to my previous jobs. The environment was what you would expect from software development shops, there was a daily standup and backlog boards. My co-workers were intense but in a laid back way, if that makes sense. It was a no nonsense type of place. I can't think of any "hardest" parts of the job, as I liked going there every work day. What I liked about the job was the care Blackberry took to provide its workers with the tools and support they needed to get things done
Pros
Cafeteria, ergonomic consultants, quiet environment
Cons
Kanata offices did not have many amenities in the neighbourhood
NOC - Amazing Learning Opportunity
Network Operations Center Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 January 2017
Typical day at work involved handling and troubleshooting failures in network and/or infrastructure.

Co-op role was given a free leash by the end of the year and lots of responsibilities. It was an informal environment with friendly coworkers and loads to learn and apply. Ideas were appreciated and if one is willing to put efforts, it is acknowledged.
Key for Canadian technology innovation
Senior Manager, Alliance Operations (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 August 2016
BlackBerry was a great place to work at its height. Many changes since new management team implemented Android focused hardware and BlackBerry software.
Pros
Great work environment, very innovative
Cons
Core market focus
Working hour flexible, very quite environment
VPN and Network Security Developer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 December 2016
A lot of Empty spaces due to tons of layoff. If you get hired at this moment, you pretty much secure your job.

People are chill and smart. One thing I do not like was most of developers were just doing work. They barely have social events.
Dead company.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 September 2016
don't work for blackberry. dead company with no vision. management is incompetent. company is dead within 2 years. jump ship! overpaid execs. Avoid like the plague
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Configuration Management Specialist 11/SAP Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 April 2016
Blackberry is a good place to work, salary is good and benefits. Recently the company is going down because of stiff competition in the smart phone market.
Pros
Gret work life balance
Cons
too much lay offs
Intern
Reliability Engineering Systems Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON24 February 2017
Before the restructuring and collapse of the tech giant, it was a good place to work. I cannot say after as my term ended during the changes.
Fantastic Company
Business Partner Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS5 January 2017
Great work ethic, treated us well. I was on a work permit and they happily offered me a position.

Pay was fantastic and perks were also good. Free BlackBerry and Laptop as well.
Pros
Fantastic Teams
Cons
Bit out of the way.
A very good company with lots of potential
Director (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 May 2016
Blackberry is one of the companies which are blessed with several opportunities in wireless connectivity and mobility area. My day at blackberry would be filled with learning, challenges, new ideas and interacting with lots of creative people. One cannot just sit and do routine work at Blackberry . Management was very supportive and passionate about organization goals. When the environment is just right for you, even the hardest task looks like an easy one. Isnt it?
Pros
Flexibility of hours
Great Workplace depending on the team
Product Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 April 2015
It was a great company to work at with a competitive salary and lots of perks. Getting a company phone was really nice, especially since I was an intern. Typical day as an Operations specialist involved a lot of analysis in excel on product configurations and packaging. I also used a proprietary ERP system to maintain parts catalogues and create instructional sets for use by warehouse staff all around the world. There was a lot of independent work involving excel and somewhat boring analysis but that was nicely balanced by a management team which was very active and always looking to enhance my development.

I will say that some cross functional work with other teams was sometimes unpleasant due to the fact that there were many lay-offs occurring at the time. Individuals and groups with less job security are of course going to lack the motivation and positive attitude they once had.
Pros
You get a blackberry!
Cons
Some negative attitudes during restructuring
Fun and Exciting Experience
Back Line Team Analyst (Co-op) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 December 2016
Everyday is a new day because everyday is a new challenge which makes me more technically refined, experienced and knowledgeable at the end of the day.
Fun work place
Software Test Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 July 2015
Very good place to work if you want work/life balance. Work-life balance is good in this company, relatively flexible working hours, very encouraging work environment, competitive salary with good benefits, it still has some great people left.
Pros
Cons
Senior Management has been changed frequently, Sometimes make poor management decisions
It was fun and learning process to work for Blackberry.
LCD Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 July 2016
Again it was fun to work with a group of talented people close to 10 years where you almost knew most the people in your group and other groups because of job interrelated issues and spirit of team work was always there. The best part of the job was when we launched new product and had a good share of market in those days but must admit that wasn't there at the end that put lots of stress on us. Again over all I enjoyed working for Blackberry all those years and wish it never ended.
Pros
It is always fun to work for large company, there is lots of learning involved
Cons
At the end it was stressful when your product not recognized in the market like before.
Good place to work in early years, not a secure place now
Manager, Supply Chain Excellence (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 June 2015
Very challenging, with very long hours and heavy workload during the expansion years.

Improved a lot on processes and procedures during the years, learned something new every day

Management changed often that affected company performance, sometimes I felt they were looking more for personal interests rather than company interests, which reflected on company perfomance on the last years

Co-workers very profesional and good work conduct, not a friendly place though

Most enjoyable part was the travelling to different manufacturing locations, working closely with colleagues from other departments, knowing them better, learning about different sides of the business
Pros
Compensation and benefits were very good
Cons
Insecurity of the job due to massive lay offs, long hours
Good company for pushing technological boundaries in a competitive market
R&D Mechanical - Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 September 2015
Great company to work for, and compelling new technologies and process to utilize and integrate, flexible work hours and results driven management. Work environment is team oriented with great personnel to work and succeed on projects.
Pros
Great benefits, highly competitive salary, results rewarded management system.
Cons
Company realigning market strategy to become less reliant on hardware.
A very condusive environment and culture to work in.
Refrigeration Operator B (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 April 2016
A very condusive environment and culture to work in.
The company provides a world class working environment and promotes continuous improvement and learning .
Pros
Continuous improvement
BLACK BERRY is a very Nice and good Company in my life
Mobile Assembling and quality assurance (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON3 September 2016
I worked here as a permanent employee. Due to fall of stock I laid off this company's. I really enjoying This company. Still now I also miss this company's. Job environment was excellent. I learned lot of assembler job with technique. Hardest Part of job was 100% quality ensure.
Pros
Electronic assembler
Cons
12 hours shift
Great Company that allows room for advancement
PRODUCT DEMAND CONTROL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Waterloo11 February 2014
I worked with BlackBerry for 12 yrs. I have watched this company grow and was part of the growth.
The management style was trustworthy always motivating their employees to better themselves and the skills. I started my career in the call centre and grew with the company through internal courses that they offered and because a Product Demand Control Manager who managed New Product Launches and End of Life Plans.
Co workers are fun and very helpful it was a team environment.
Management was always approachable and willing to help when needed.
Most enjoyable part of my job was starting a New Product plan for a product and executing it flawlessly end to end. It was rewarding.
Pros
Work Life balance
Cons
BlackBerry losing space in the market causing job cuts
Technology lead company
Senior Embedded Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 June 2016
BlackBerry was a competitive company and environment to work in. New technologies were the culture of BlackBerry at my time.
active and smart people
RF Design and Test Intern (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON31 October 2016
Great and rich company and of course very generous.
I really enjoyed working with smart collegues in the group of Advanced Concept.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BlackBerry. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2