BlackBerry Employee Reviews

No job security.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 August 2016
Company lacks long term vision, is just a former shell of the company it once was.

I'd be careful before accepting a job here unless you are desperate.
A Good place for work and life
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 August 2016
Work/life balance is great. Nice people. Employee can learn a lot as long as he/she wants. Management is excellent, no worries.
Amazing and fun place to work
Student Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 June 2016
Enriching experience for a coop student. Blackberry gave me opportunities to grow in a company and establish myself in a team. I am very happy with my work in Blackerry.
Professional, Productive, Creative, hardworking, Friendly
Software Test Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 February 2016
BlackBerry provided professional and friendly environment to employees. During my co-op experience in BlackBerry as software test associate, I had opportunities to experience in building up significant fundamental testing knowledge, bug reporting with JIRA, professional documentation skills, and good organizational skills. I improved my interpersonal and communication skills, time management, prioritization skills, and efficient collaboration in any teams. Co-workers always provided fully support. I really enjoyed to discuss all issues with co-workers when we tested the software.
Not enough time in company to write review
Process Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 June 2016
Not enough time in company to write review. But RIM at the time had great reputation. wanted to a part of cool technology.
Pros
Good name brand
Cons
Too many people
A very condusive environment and culture to work in.
Refrigeration Operator B (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 April 2016
A very condusive environment and culture to work in.
The company provides a world class working environment and promotes continuous improvement and learning .
Pros
Continuous improvement
Cons
Good learning opportunity as a student
Interoperability Test Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 April 2016
I have learned a lot during my co-op at BB. Its a great place to work. People there are amazing and fun to work with. Hardest part of the job was stress associated with work/life balance.
Overall it was an awesome experience!
Technology lead company
Senior Embedded Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 June 2016
BlackBerry was a competitive company and environment to work in. New technologies were the culture of BlackBerry at my time.
Decent Company to Work for
Technical Specialist - Back Line Team (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 May 2016
- Salary and benefits are great
- too many layers of management
- too much red tape for processes
- advancement has been challenges due to nature of the business,
Team and goal oriented environment.
Assistant Project Co-ordinator (Full-time co-op) (Former Employee) –  4701 Tahoe Blvd2 February 2016
Working at Blackberry, employee's get the sense that they are apart of a real team. Many aspects of the daily job requires working with many team members, updating each other on their day's achievements or road blocks. Due to the high amount of team members, the assistant project co-ordinators had to have great time management and interpersonal skills to make sure day to day operations ran smoothly. As an employee at Blackberry, one will soon realize that there are many projects which require massive teams to complete, which can be very difficult to achieve if any sector is not running smoothly.
good work-life balance but a company falling apart
Senior Distribution Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 January 2016
Pros:
- good base salary
- decent bonus
- good benefits
- good work-life balance

Cons:
- Management has no clue what they are doing. The execs change every 6 months. No feasible operational objectives other than cutting employees
- no career advancement these days as layoff is often.
- Laying odd and organizational realignment happenings throw employees into constant state of ambiguity.

Join BlackBerry for only personal reasons such as new grad, if you live close to Waterloo, too good a salary or if you would like to be slacker.

Dont join for career advancement or job security.
Pros
free phones
Cons
poor job security
Configuration Management Specialist 11/SAP Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 April 2016
Blackberry is a good place to work, salary is good and benefits. Recently the company is going down because of stiff competition in the smart phone market.
Pros
Gret work life balance
Cons
too much lay offs
Blackberry is on the table
NPI Operator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON, New Product Introduction16 January 2016
To work at Research In Motion is a challange and is a culture.Working there is a plasure.The workdays are buzzy as possible.You are allways connected with your workplace,with your cooworkers,and have the feeling without you cannot happend anything.It is a lifestayle.
Organizing,communicating,managing things fast and the most easy way.
Team work is the best thing at the Rresearch In Motion.And a lot of fun.
Pros
The best place to challange yourself.
Cons
Buzzy.
Excellent work environment and healthy , and good benefit
ASSISTANT PRODUCTION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 March 2016
Works begin with a meeting with our manager to give us the target for the day . And if there is any change in the product . I learned from working in this company commitment to quality , accuracy , speed and innovation , especially when there are specialized department and with experience , and the most enjoyable part in this company is to work with a team with a competition to develop yourself to serve the interests of the company and you in the same time .This company has a good quality staff , which helps to create an ideal working atmosphere and was working as a team is so dominant that it helps to increase the productivity of labor .
The difficult time at work is when when there is a shortage of parts for a certain period and did not get to goal , what it should be that day , but on the other hand , when we achieve the target we will be happy to primitive then new day and new target will start .
Pros
Four Breaks in addition to the lunch break
Good company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 February 2016
Overall it's a good company to work for. BlackBerry has attracted talented employees who are extremely dedicated to their work and strive for excellence in what they do.
Pros
Very professional technical staff.
Cons
Work life balance is inconsistent across departments.
Currently has very low job security
Automated Test Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 April 2016
Great place to work, but due to the company's current financial position there are many cutbacks and lay offs without any prior notice.
BlackBerry is a great place for Co-op opportunities.
Software Tool Developer (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 March 2016
BlackBerry gave me a very good opportunity to learn, work and improve my technical skills. It is a great place to start your career.
Productive and fun place
Application Development (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 February 2016
Great memories and learning experience.My supervisors were really helpful and taught me a lot.

I have learned great skill set while on coop which is definitely helped me a lot
Pros
free snacks
Cons
high pressure
As an Automation Test Developer
Automation Test Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 November 2015
I worked at BlackBerry (for 5 years). I learned a lot experience about testing, automation developing and software development skills.
Pros
Lots of challenge, Friendly people and swell environment, Working with such a great team is what makes working at Blackberry so amazing
Cons
Unstable, Feel so bad watching friends and colleagues leaving
Amazing experience
KPI PERFORMACE TESTER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 March 2016
loved it, I did everything that i ever dreamed of doing. Worked on new devices all the time, created new testing scripts, tested DC power consumption.

4.2