BlackBerry Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my time at BlackBerry
Senior Software Development Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON3 March 2017
no two days at blackberry were the same. constantly learning something new, developing skills i did not join the company with

the management is varies from team to team, i was fortunate to have an outstanding management chain.

the culture at blackberry had become muted. in its prime, blackberry was a fun company with an airy atmosphere. lately however, with the rapid decline in brand loyalty, folks are less open, and more worried about their job security.

the hardest part of my position was also the most enjoyable: my roll evolved past my formal education and past work experience. i was developing new skills every day and was expected to utilize them at a master level
Pros
compensation package, flexible hours, friendly management and staff
Cons
little work/life balance..constantly on my device at night. Defending the Brand
Stressful all the time
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 September 2016
Senior Leadership is very deceptive. They continuously tell you what you want to hear and say it is the truth, all the time setting you up for failure. Promising things they never deliver. Always getting you to change job descriptions and sign new contracts to keep your job even though you are full-time, to cut benefits, cut wages, and make it easier to layoff. Giving huge bonuses to senior leadership and raises and stock options, while freezing wages and cutting bonuses from middle management and below.
Pros
good benefits for now
Cons
Always worried about layoffs
One of the greatest Canadian companies ever
Root Cause Analyst -Reliability Research in Motion (Former Employee) –  Waterloo,Ontario,Canada11 January 2017
The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance. The culture is one of a kind and you can be creative in how you do your job. They encourage personal growth.
People and work were great, management sucked...
RF Engineering Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 February 2017
-Management drove the company int the ground.
-Benefits and salary were good.
-People were great.
-Work was interesting.
Pros
People, salary, benefits, interesting work...
Cons
Gross mismanagement...
Blackberry
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON1 September 2016
At Blackberry it was a wonderful journey working in the highly paced environment of one of the leading company in the world.
The learning process was very efficient as training department was engaged in offering on job training and also development courses. The company also offered external courses.
We worked as a team and achieved many milestones. The working environment was incredible and left many memorable memories of co-workers.
The hardest part of the job when company downfall started and many employees lost their jobs.
We most enjoyable part when we reach the highest number of customers subscribe Blackberry BBM.
Pros
Best benefits, RRSP match
Cons
No growth
Fun place to work
Software Interoperability Test Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 September 2016
A typical day at work would be full of stress and a lot to do in less time. I personally learned lots of personal skills including time management and communication.
Pros
Employee perks were really good!
A very good Job
Board Repair Operator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 September 2016
BlackBerry was a great place to work at. The people were friendly and helpful. We had a great time there. The pay and benefits were very good.
Management were easy to work for. They cared about their people.
Pros
Good Pay, Good People
Cons
They cut jobs
Ok place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 March 2017
Loves the perks that were offered, free phone and benefits the first day. The environment was very toxic, got disc working at this organization. Just not a good place to work.
Pros
Worked for a manager who was a slave driver, he had no respect for his employees, he spoke to them whichever way he chose. He also had no respect for ladies.
Cons
Free phone and benefits the first day.
Facilities Administrator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 February 2017
My time at BlackBerry has been amazing. BlackBerry is a fast paced environment.
The hardest part of my job is trying to please everyone.
The best part or most enjoyable part is knowing I have done all I can do and everyone is the better for it
Pros
Experience
Cons
very long hours
I was good on the early years.
Product Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 November 2016
The work environment was great when I start at Blackberry. Good balance between work and personal life. Great project to work and great people. Unfortunately at the and end the lay offs make the work environment very depressing.
Pros
good salary and benifits
Cons
bad work environment
Valuable experience
Regulatory Compliance Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 March 2017
Great working experience related to engineering industry. It provides competitive wages for entry level engineers. I will recommend this company to my friends
good work-life balance but a company falling apart
Senior Distribution Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 January 2016
Pros:
- good base salary
- decent bonus
- good benefits
- good work-life balance

Cons:
- Management has no clue what they are doing. The execs change every 6 months. No feasible operational objectives other than cutting employees
- no career advancement these days as layoff is often.
- Laying odd and organizational realignment happenings throw employees into constant state of ambiguity.

Join BlackBerry for only personal reasons such as new grad, if you live close to Waterloo, too good a salary or if you would like to be slacker.

Dont join for career advancement or job security.
Pros
free phones
Cons
poor job security
Vvery good place to work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 February 2017
I was working at day shift - some time overtime
I learned to operate soo many different equipment
Management was very friendly
The most enjoyable part of the job was learn new stuff.
Pros
They give a training to all employe
Cons
Production moved to overseas
Dreaded with new management
Test Automation Developer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 March 2017
Management and direction changed too often. Projects usually get cancelled within months. Very rigid and structured. Hard to get your voice heard. BYON (bring your own napkins).
excellent place to work if you can get it
Software Tester and Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 July 2016
Great place to work. I was on coop here so I was treated the same as an employee and got a great salary, benefits, days off, etc. Contractors on the other hand get the short end of the stick. I would love to work for BB again but not sure if I wanted to deal with being a contractor there. They do not hire a lot of actual employees so the positions are coveted if you can get them. As for job security it is a little iffy as they laid off about half their workforce while I was there including some members of my team. It is a scary thing to go through. Hopefully they will bounce back as a company because working there was a blast.

They really do look out for work/life balance at BlackBerry. They have decent vacation time and "BlackBerry days" around Christmas to cover the days that are not stats so almost everyone can take Christmas off (only a few essential personal have to work during holidays). If you want to volunteer they may even pay you your regular wage to do so (I got to volunteer at We Day for Free the Children in Waterloo and got paid as if I was working the day).

The software testing teams are great and I had a blast working for them. Trying to "break" the software and find defects before OS builds were launched was a lot of fun. Team outings were great as was the coop social committee.

Wages are very good. As a coop student I got paid the same as a regular employee and made $64k/year before overtime. Overtime opportunists are frequent in the testing department so you can make very good money there.
A Good place for work and life
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 August 2016
Work/life balance is great. Nice people. Employee can learn a lot as long as he/she wants. Management is excellent, no worries.
fun, great work environment, and very productive work place.
Hardware System Designer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 July 2016
I loved my office and my lab spaces. the team was very supportive of each other. the work space was very relaxing and offered basic necessities and a little more to make the work enjoyable for the employees since many of us used to put more working hours when needed. the team was close and we had many team events. the management was very supportive with everything we needed to accomplish the tasks with high quality. for a hardware system engineer we were traveling from the office to the lab many time a day. we had all the required tools in both workplaces to ease the day on us.

in this job, not only i learned different technical skills since i took different tasks in every projects, but also i gained life skills and leadership skills. the most enjoyable part of the job was the excitement of the new project and brainstorming with the co-worker. ad i guess the hardest part was as in every job meeting the deadline while trying to beat the market with new technology.
Decent Company to Work for
Technical Specialist - Back Line Team (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 May 2016
- Salary and benefits are great
- too many layers of management
- too much red tape for processes
- advancement has been challenges due to nature of the business,
Typical Corporate Environment, Out of Touch Management
Radio Embedded Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 October 2016
Too much offloading of management's responsibilities onto the bottom of the chain. Mismanagement leads to collapse. Used to be a thriving, booming company, but got too caught up in it's own echo chamber to see the collapse that seemed obvious to anyone in the lower tiers.
One of the best work place you will ever work
Software Developer (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB5 January 2017
- Mostly you will only work with regular full-time hours.
- All developer members are professional about Java and you can learn improve your Java knowledge significantly.
- OOP principles, unit testing, and actual testing, every knowledge which allows you to improve your programming skill can be gained from here.
- Every Friday, people play board games at lunch time and you are welcome to join it anytime.
Pros
Wonderful teammate, well scheduled work hours, fun activities
Cons
There were no Cons

4.2