BlackBerry Employee Reviews in Canada

good work-life balance but a company falling apart
Senior Distribution Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Pros:
- good base salary
- decent bonus
- good benefits
- good work-life balance

Cons:
- Management has no clue what they are doing. The execs change every 6 months. No feasible operational objectives other than cutting employees
- no career advancement these days as layoff is often.
- Laying odd and organizational realignment happenings throw employees into constant state of ambiguity.

Join BlackBerry for only personal reasons such as new grad, if you live close to Waterloo, too good a salary or if you would like to be slacker.

Dont join for career advancement or job security.
Pros
free phones
Cons
poor job security
Challenging Work Place
Software Testing Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Very good work place for people who like challenges and changes frequently. Employees treated very well and career growth is guranteed
Pros
Salary Benefit
Cons
Frequent Changes
BlackBerry is a great company to work at.
Network Data Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioFebruary 3, 2016
BlackBerry is a great company to work at. It has competitive salary and benefits. The company is pioneer in building smart phones.
Good company for pushing technological boundaries in a competitive market
R&D Mechanical - Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 17, 2015
Great company to work for, and compelling new technologies and process to utilize and integrate, flexible work hours and results driven management. Work environment is team oriented with great personnel to work and succeed on projects.
Pros
Great benefits, highly competitive salary, results rewarded management system.
Cons
Company realigning market strategy to become less reliant on hardware.
Good place to work in early years, not a secure place now
Manager, Supply Chain Excellence (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 17, 2015
Very challenging, with very long hours and heavy workload during the expansion years.

Improved a lot on processes and procedures during the years, learned something new every day

Management changed often that affected company performance, sometimes I felt they were looking more for personal interests rather than company interests, which reflected on company perfomance on the last years

Co-workers very profesional and good work conduct, not a friendly place though

Most enjoyable part was the travelling to different manufacturing locations, working closely with colleagues from other departments, knowing them better, learning about different sides of the business
Pros
Compensation and benefits were very good
Cons
Insecurity of the job due to massive lay offs, long hours
Fun work place
Software Test Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 9, 2015
Very good place to work if you want work/life balance. Work-life balance is good in this company, relatively flexible working hours, very encouraging work environment, competitive salary with good benefits, it still has some great people left.
Pros
Cons
Senior Management has been changed frequently, Sometimes make poor management decisions
Amazing Experience
Environment Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 7, 2015
Working for a global company and being a part of the corporate structure taught me key skills I can take with me. No room for people to be creative, out of the box thinking was frowned upon. To much of a dictatorship with senior leaders no imput from employees.
Pros
Excellent pay, benefits.
Cons
No room for growth, no communication
Excellent work environment and healthy , and good benefit
ASSISTANT PRODUCTION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 9, 2016
Works begin with a meeting with our manager to give us the target for the day . And if there is any change in the product . I learned from working in this company commitment to quality , accuracy , speed and innovation , especially when there are specialized department and with experience , and the most enjoyable part in this company is to work with a team with a competition to develop yourself to serve the interests of the company and you in the same time .This company has a good quality staff , which helps to create an ideal working atmosphere and was working as a team is so dominant that it helps to increase the productivity of labor .
The difficult time at work is when when there is a shortage of parts for a certain period and did not get to goal , what it should be that day , but on the other hand , when we achieve the target we will be happy to primitive then new day and new target will start .
Pros
Four Breaks in addition to the lunch break
Enjoyed my BlackBerry years
Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 14, 2015
I enjoyed my years at BlackBerry. There were many great people to work with and to learn from. The hardest part of the job in the last few years has been the waning morale do to the continued downsizing of the BlackBerry workforce.
Pros
Flexible hours, Good compensation, Christmas break closure
Cons
Shrinking workforce, poor morale
Great Workplace depending on the team
Product Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 29, 2015
It was a great company to work at with a competitive salary and lots of perks. Getting a company phone was really nice, especially since I was an intern. Typical day as an Operations specialist involved a lot of analysis in excel on product configurations and packaging. I also used a proprietary ERP system to maintain parts catalogues and create instructional sets for use by warehouse staff all around the world. There was a lot of independent work involving excel and somewhat boring analysis but that was nicely balanced by a management team which was very active and always looking to enhance my development.

I will say that some cross functional work with other teams was sometimes unpleasant due to the fact that there were many lay-offs occurring at the time. Individuals and groups with less job security are of course going to lack the motivation and positive attitude they once had.
Pros
You get a blackberry!
Cons
Some negative attitudes during restructuring
Professional, Productive, Creative, hardworking, Friendly
Software Test Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 14, 2016
BlackBerry provided professional and friendly environment to employees. During my co-op experience in BlackBerry as software test associate, I had opportunities to experience in building up significant fundamental testing knowledge, bug reporting with JIRA, professional documentation skills, and good organizational skills. I improved my interpersonal and communication skills, time management, prioritization skills, and efficient collaboration in any teams. Co-workers always provided fully support. I really enjoyed to discuss all issues with co-workers when we tested the software.
Team and goal oriented environment.
Assistant Project Co-ordinator (Full-time co-op) (Former Employee) –  4701 Tahoe BlvdFebruary 2, 2016
Working at Blackberry, employee's get the sense that they are apart of a real team. Many aspects of the daily job requires working with many team members, updating each other on their day's achievements or road blocks. Due to the high amount of team members, the assistant project co-ordinators had to have great time management and interpersonal skills to make sure day to day operations ran smoothly. As an employee at Blackberry, one will soon realize that there are many projects which require massive teams to complete, which can be very difficult to achieve if any sector is not running smoothly.
very clean and organized enviroment.
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 28, 2015
Working there was really fun as we got to learn many new things on different products such as phones. The management there was really good as they took care of their epmloyees very well. My co workers were very friendly as i am also a very helpful and friendly person myself.
benefits
Cons
Great place to work, everyone was "all in" in making the company move forward.
MANAGER, Global Data Centre Planning & Governance (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 5, 2016
My time at RIM/Blackberry was amazing. I was empowered in everything that I was tasked with and the support that I received was amazing. The teams that I worked with were driven and the "teaming" that took place made every day coming to work exciting and enjoyable. It's a shame that some very bad decisions were made by Sr. leaders there.
Pros
Great teams and very exciting project work.
Cons
Poor Mgt. decisions that affect the whole company.
A very good company with lots of potential
Director (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 19, 2016
Blackberry is one of the companies which are blessed with several opportunities in wireless connectivity and mobility area. My day at blackberry would be filled with learning, challenges, new ideas and interacting with lots of creative people. One cannot just sit and do routine work at Blackberry . Management was very supportive and passionate about organization goals. When the environment is just right for you, even the hardest task looks like an easy one. Isnt it?
Pros
Flexibility of hours
Typical Day at Work
Software Build and Release Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 7, 2015
Awesome place to work. Lots of challenging work and talented people! Excellent benefits and pay. However, you constantly need to learn and grow!
Good company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 11, 2016
Overall it's a good company to work for. BlackBerry has attracted talented employees who are extremely dedicated to their work and strive for excellence in what they do.
Pros
Very professional technical staff.
Cons
Work life balance is inconsistent across departments.
Blackberry is on the table
NPI Operator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON, New Product IntroductionJanuary 16, 2016
To work at Research In Motion is a challange and is a culture.Working there is a plasure.The workdays are buzzy as possible.You are allways connected with your workplace,with your cooworkers,and have the feeling without you cannot happend anything.It is a lifestayle.
Organizing,communicating,managing things fast and the most easy way.
Team work is the best thing at the Rresearch In Motion.And a lot of fun.
Pros
The best place to challange yourself.
Cons
Buzzy.
Always something new
Sr Manager Custommer Support (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 17, 2016
The only thing constant is change is definitely true if you work for BlackBerry. If you like change, then this is the place for you. There is always a new product, or project that needs work.

For me that has been exciting as I have had the opportunity to work in various roles and responsibility.

I think the hardest part has been the last few years, as the uncertainty can be hard on teams.
Good Technology
System Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 12, 2015
Good Technology
Good Pay
Flexible working hours
Except for Job Security and Management, it is excellent place to work with.