BlackBerry

BlackBerry Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A wealth of experience, useful and not so useful
Technical Writer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 6, 2012
Pros: fitness and health allowance as part of benefits, employee assistance program available, casual dress in most departments, attention to ergonomics at workstations, bonuses, and free tickets to rock concerts
Cons: constant upheaval, managerial mediocrity, insensitive human resources department, lack of vision from the upper ranks
A typical day at work in the former Content Development Services business unit involved the writing and publishing of training documentation. The Instructor Led Training, Webinars, Web-based Training, user guides, reference manuals, video scripts, and other documents our unit delivered were used within the organization, with carrier-partners as part of New Product Support Readiness, and with product end users. A project could range from requiring a few hours of work before submission to the editing team, to being months in duration with heavy consultation of subject matter experts and potentially delivering a User Acceptance Trial. When I started, the review and publication of support articles for the internal and external knowledge base was something everybody did for at least an hour every day. Timewise, the expectation was that the salary amount was for a minimum 40-hour week, Monday to Friday, and if a deadline was urgent, you stayed until the work was done. A repercussion I observed was that co-op placement students and young, single employees were favoured over older employees who wanted or required work-life balance. Management did not seem particularly motivated or focused, and promotion seemed more based upon who than what candidates knew - of a half-dozen managers to whom I reported, about two seemed truly appropriate as people leaders. My co-workers were second-to-none - bright, creative, hard-working innovators to a person, good-humoured and pleasant, and really the strength of the organization. The hardest part of the job was not becoming disillusioned by constantly – more... shifting project and organizational demands, and a tendency to have meetings for the sake of having meetings. The most enjoyable part of my work there was the interaction with great people in an environment that was conducive, almost until the end, to the production of high quality work. – less
Software QA
Software QA (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 24, 2014
Responsible for ensuring quality of service between the device and proprietary infrastructure
communication, working closely with other platform and BlackBerry Infrastructure team within the
organization to implement and support device communication at global scale.
• Understand the functional and business requirements of the project during the requirements review sessions with various teams and provide sign off from QA perspective.
• Provide effort estimation for QA related activities as a part of a given project.
• Build Test Plan and test cases based on the Functional Requirements, Technical Specification and Use Cases using different techniques
• Lead functional, integration, regression and end to end testing.
• Work with business to develop business acceptance criteria during BUAT, provide the necessary support with test environment, test data etc and address the issues encountered.
• Actively involved in quality assurance testing, tracking and managing defects.
• Work closely with business analysts and development leads for troubleshooting defects.
• Lead proper test environment setup and support during end to end testing and co-ordinate with different teams
• Document and report test results and issues to upper management
• Conducted Interviews for co-ops and provided knowledge transfer/training on different test domains
• Managed and supervised Software test team consisting of several co-ops and interns and accountable for their task assignment and other activities
• Linux Shell Scripting in Ubuntu operating system, standardizing and documenting configuration files
 – more... Skills Used and learned: Requirements Analysis, Requirements Gathering, QA Effort Estimation, Data Analysis, SRS, UAT, Efficient Time Management.
• Environment: IIS server, Windows, Jira, MKS, QNX platform, Blackberry devices. – less
Highly engaging interactive environment, with a good work/life balance.
Software Developer for Mobile Voice Systems team (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 6, 2013
Pros: flexible timings, gym memberships, helpful colleagues, social environment
Cons: would've enjoyed a bigger collocated team (as there were only two of us)
My typical day at work:
Being in an Agile environment, we would start off with a daily SCRUM and outline any obstacles, accomplishments we've made. I would ask for and offer help where needed.
Once the meeting is complete, we would engage with the team in picking up our daily tasks and work in a highly interactive environment to accomplish the tasks in a multi-disciplinary team. The tasks would be bug fixes, customer escalations, support, requirement refining with the product managers, features work (either independent or working with a team-mate).

What I learned:
I learned teamwork, accountability, producing solid solutions and code, Java, C++, QT, time management, Telephony.

The management was fairly hands-off as the team was always self-motivated setting strict targets and deadlines which were in sync with product. Managers were great at dealing with other teams when requirements needed to get across.

The co-workers were fun to be around, and were very supportive and helpful when getting things done, or just bouncing off ideas. It mostly didn't feel like work.

The toughest part about the job was dealing with constantly changing requirements from product/customers and shortened timelines. Though, it was a challenge that was worth overcoming every time because the rewards of satisfying the customers was high.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the people, and the social interactions, especially as there were multiple locations. Finding solutions to complex problems while engaged with multiple engineers, especially when dealing with so many environment parameters was – more... always fun. – less
very good place to work, learn and develop new skills , top in wireless industry
NPI Operator (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 22, 2013
Pros: good benefits, medical and social
Cons: a period of time ( 5 years i think) working continental shifts
A normal day of work start with preparing the SMT line, verifing (on the computers) the programs you are about to run,,then preparing the printers, inspect the PCB's (that is printed circuit boards) then print samples , inspect samples with the visual solder inspecting machine, if needs correction , you work on them, if everything fine , the printed boards takes the long road to the SMT machines to be populated with the components needed for the specifical program you use.( Very important is scanning the line-SMT machines for the right program). Meanwhile you troubleshoot the machines if neccesary, paying constantly atention to the boards populated make sure that the parts machine place are in the right spots and perfectly in their places. Last inspection before the convection oven , then the populated boards go through the oven, the end of the oven you have the final SMT product, who needs 100 percent inspection using the right diagrams and computer program, After the boards are electronically tested and they pass you feel the happiness that you were great that day.. i guess that is the most enjoyable part of the job. RIM management was ok for the first 10 years, after went down the hill a bit.. Co-workers were good skilled people, most of them fun to work with.
what i learned with Blackberry? The most important things, Teamwork. Extreme attention to details, computer skills, and SMT.
Fun place to work with good pay/bonus/benefits
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 21, 2013
Pros: benefits/salary/bonus/vacation/fun
Cons: job security
My professional career at BlackBerry thus far has assisted me with growing in experience and knowledge in many areas including: working under tight deadlines, oral and written communication skills, critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills, as well as organizational, time management and multi-tasking. These are all areas in which I continue to show great strength. All of the above skills have given me an opportunity to show employers my strengths, which has also given employers the confidence to put me in positions of greater responsibility and leadership.

I have been given many wonderful opportunities to grow in leadership roles which I demonstrated by starting and leading the Social Committee for my department.

I have the utmost respect for my bosses and my colleagues. I have been the Executive Assistant to the Vice President, two directors and the Senior Vice President and have demonstrated very strong time management, organizational and problem solving skills.

The most enjoyable part of my position would have to be the people I work with. I feel very blessed to have met everyone I work with and really enjoy the work hard and have fun environment that BlackBerry Security promotes.
Interesting fast paced work
VALUE STREAM PROJECT MANAGER ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONNovember 28, 2013
Pros: great benefits; many learning opportunities, working with skilled people
A typical day as Value Stream Project Manager Assistant was updating and verifying test statuses using excel spreadsheet and various databases as we received 30 to 50 new test submissions per week. Wrote test reports and closed completed test requests. I updated work instructions and procedures that were scheduled for yearly review for my Manager. Also assisted Project managers with sending completed test submissions back to requestors. Worked on gathering data from database for time studies for Six Sigma Green Belt Projects.
I learned about the organizational abilities required to keep the tests moving through the Lab efficiently, detailed features of our inventory system, the various new products being developed and their new features.
Management was open and involved, trying to improve processes for efficient use of time. Co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable, always willing to help.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with incorrect database entries or no updates performed. The most enjoyable part of my job was the variety of functions I got to perform, working with a very skilled group of people and being able to assist many people.
Learning Experience
Collections Associate (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: new area of experience
Cons: poor pay and job security
Typical day at work started off with reviewing your list of priority collections and due dates. Prioritizing and deciding what action to take on the accounts in the 30-60 day and 45-90 day range. Once you made the necessary actions on the oldest accounts you then started to make contact with as many of the 15-30 day accounts as you could to start the collection process off immediately to capture payments so these accounts would not move further.

There really wasn't any environment for fostering co-worker relationships, you sat in a cubical from am to pm with very little interaction.

The best part about this position was I learned how to deal with customer/clients on many levels extensively. I did have one of the highest success rates in our department for collecting overdue accounts. I took great pride in my ability to work well with customers and resolve issues for them as well as the company.

I really didn't like the lack of security, almost all positions in this department were on a month to month basis through temporary placements.
Great people, fun place for people to be with 2 table tennis and a cefeteroa
Software Test Specialist (Former Employee), Kanata, onratioAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Great people, and lots of 'free time' as mentioned above.
Cons: Right now - the obvious. the big 'unknown' is lurking about everyone.
Overall I would say that working at BlackBerry was very educational for me. I've learned a lot about Social Media applications, and usage of it in the market when it comes to Mobile devices. I also learned to set different user expectations for Mobile user, compare to Desktop one.
Learned lots of cool technologies, such as NLP, ASR and others
Direct management is usually fine. Never had a problem with a manager. Management usually listen and accepts, as well as direct and dictate when needed.
My team was awesome ! sorry - all my teams where such! the collaboration between Dev and Test is working very well.
There's much work to do at Blackberry, and if you don't mind putting some extra hours at times, you'll do just fine.
Many of the people at Blackberry enjoy either PIng Pong, Foosbal, or board games. You will find lots of people bringing their lunch or bringing their own to the cafeteria, and play a game, or just talk.
Amazing work atmosphere and energy despite current predicament
Enterprise Data Analyst (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 29, 2014
Pros: lots of support, strong foundation, somewhat flexible on timings, learn a lot in the fast paced industry blackberry stands in.
Cons: variable disconnects in management at times, lack of communication sometimes.
When I was brought onboard, the company was already being described as a sinking ship but only when I got to working on the inside did I realize that everyone had a vision that they were working hard to execute upon and bring to life. Management was very precise as to what they wanted and because of a lot of the cutbacks, I was involved in many cross departmental projects and as a result of this it gave a meaningful understanding of what I was doing and how exactly it affected the organization. Despite the negative media storm around the company, day to day activities were the same and seldom did it affect anything work related. Management definitely encouraged and wanted their employees to learn more and excel in their own professional careers and offered lots of training in order to better attain these goals.
It's a fun place to work and get to learn new things everyday
Engineer Technical Support Tech. (globally) (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONDecember 4, 2013
Pros: free use of phone and expose to new phones.
Cons: poor management. takes time to make a decision.
- Very busy at work. Help to resolve a lot of test issues related. Created new test system and procedure for production.
- I have learned how to be creative and organize my work schedule daily.
- Management was really poor. They are very slow to act when comes to decision making. Most managers from other department don't want to support when needed. Very disappointed when working under one roof and the managment think that different department is working for different company.
- Co-workers are very enjoyable, friendly and fun to work with.
- The hardest part of the job that most of the time we don't have enough time to work on your project because I was too busy to help and support other people and I try to manage your time to complete a goal.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was to help other people, expose to new technologies and gadgets, the work environment and the work place clealiness.
Very stimulating and creative environment
Software Developer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: innovation is part of the culture
Cons: no long term job security
This company has seen better days but I believe that it can still provide a very stimulating work environment.

The best benefit for working at Blackberry is that they will pay for all your cell phone charges for personal and business. They encourage their employees to use the cell phone and report problems before they release them to the general public.

Blackberry usually pays more than what is offered in the local job market.

You will typically work in a team environment and collaborate on a daily basis. The internal wikis are full of information to help you get started with different projects or technologies.

The hard part of this job is that competition in the mobile world is very fierce. There is a lot of pressure to come up with a new phone every year with lots of new features. The good side of this is that the company really believes in innovation and will spend a lot of effort to try out new ideas and concepts.
IT desktop support for manufacturing
IT Desktop Support Specialist - Global (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 23, 2014
• Technical support for 17000+ end users (local office, production and global production employees via phone, e-mail, in person, ticketing system and remote administration)
• Develop clear documentation to add to our support database for technical training.
• Verbally simplify highly technical issues with end users.
• Provide technical support to users for Windows XP, 2000 and Windows 7 Operating systems with some Mac and Linux experience.
• New PC hardware and software deployments including
• Troubleshooting MS Office\ Exchange Issues rebuilding user profiles and Exchange Mail accounts.
• We dealt extensively with Oracle 10/11g issues both remotely and locally using VNC (ie: Repair\install\reinstall along with all required prerequisites then testing that the device can TNSping the database) I also have personal experience with both TeamViewer and LogMeIn
• Imaging\Backup\reload and configure of PC’s and user data using Symantec Ghost and other tools.
Great Workplace depending on the team
Product Operation Specialist (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 29, 2015
Pros: You get a blackberry!
Cons: Some negative attitudes during restructuring
It was a great company to work at with a competitive salary and lots of perks. Getting a company phone was really nice, especially since I was an intern. Typical day as an Operations specialist involved a lot of analysis in excel on product configurations and packaging. I also used a proprietary ERP system to maintain parts catalogues and create instructional sets for use by warehouse staff all around the world. There was a lot of independent work involving excel and somewhat boring analysis but that was nicely balanced by a management team which was very active and always looking to enhance my development.

I will say that some cross functional work with other teams was sometimes unpleasant due to the fact that there were many lay-offs occurring at the time. Individuals and groups with less job security are of course going to lack the motivation and positive attitude they once had.
Was once the best place to work
Software Developer (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 25, 2014
Pros: good salary, talented colleagues
Cons: executives and management with low ambition for company talent
Having worked at bigger companies in USA, when I moved to canada to join BlackBerry I was shocked to see the sheer talent this company has. That combined with the employee loyalty, I could not comprehend why this company is not numero uno in the technology world.
Anyhow my first couple of years at BlackBerry were just amazing, probably the best of my career. After the founders decided to call quits and the management has never been up to the mark. None of the new CEO's or executive team value R&D anymore. Its all about making money and making business profitable.
BlackBerry leadership has low ambition for its talent pool, and that is the sadest part. BlackBerry is now mostly a software company, with very limited hardware and RnD.
Come and work here for canadian pride, talented colleagues, and good package. But if you are looking to change the way world uses tech look elsewhere.
Fast paced, but comfortable environment
Shipping Specialist (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONMay 5, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits, despite the situation
Cons: it's still a struggling company.... which outsourced and cut my job.
This company has treated me well. I've been well paid, received great benefits and although I failed to advance in the company due to position cancellations and lay-offs, I still feel the company wants me to succeed.

The work environment, outside the fear of job loss, is pleasant. They try hard to make a pleasant atmosphere. Management wants everyone to succeed, learn and grow.

I enjoy the paperwork, interacting with third parties and really find satisfaction when I do my job well, and shipments move out smoothly.

Some days a very stressful, interacting with parts of the company that do not understand a shipping timeline. We cannot pick, wrap and ship 30 pallets on the same day, so we do the best we can.

I've learned so much from this company, about business, about interaction, about software, logistics, regulations and customs.
Day to day responsibilities
RF Parametric Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 25, 2014
Pros: appreciation
Cons: long hours
• Gain the understanding of various CDMA/LTE standards.
• Support various test activities (DVT, CTIA, SFN, lab entry, Maintenance Releases)
• Learn basic troubleshooting skills (phone and test equipment).
• Submit hardware/software defect reports when required
• Assist in resolving equipment issues with support personnel
• Learn the operation of RF lab test equipment which includes baseband simulators, spectrum analyzers.
• Calibrate and maintaining the equipment.
• Understand carrier requirements.
• Learn the test scripts set by 3GPP and 3GPP2.
• To be able to run manual testing without automation scripts against the standards.
• To be able to summarize the test results and prepare internal and carrier(s) reports for submission.
• To be able to prepare hardware release notes based on the results and findings. This summary is sent to the carriers with SFN and Phase-1 results.
compnay going to a downturn but provides an excellent environment with great work-life balance and productive atmosphere.
Business Development Manager (Current Employee), MississaugaSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: flexible working hours
Cons: company uncertainty
Typical day work involves meetings, conference calls with partners across the globe, eventual travelling but a balanced work-personal life style.

My key takeaway was learning different aspects of the business in different projects and roles in 5 years working at Blackberry.

Management style depends on the project. It can be micro-management focused or more empowerment style, where workers will have more accountability and autonomy to make decisions.

Co-Workers are great team workers and do not measure efforts to provide support if required. Hi educated professionals with above the average skills.

Hardest part of the job , from my perspective, is to deal with the uncertainties.

Most enjoyable part of my job is the flexibility.
Proactive an fun workplace with friendly people.
Supplier Quality Specialist (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJuly 18, 2012
• Review and verify incoming and production observed defects
• Work closely with suppliers on MPN discrepancies, updating Matrix and SAP for final MPN, and discussing issues both technical and cosmetic
• Retain PCNs, help clean up and close CFA’s that were assigned to SQE team
• Maintain supplier contact list and incoming inspection reports
• Work with team on consolidating and creating new RIM procedures
• Review BOMs for new products and update SAP for component Moisture Sensitivity Level
• Central contact for the delivery of all samples to the MIL and Reliability Lab
• Consolidation and resolution of all open DMR’s and review onsite with supplier to ensure prompt disposition is obtained
• Organize and supervise 100% of the sorting activities when supplier non- conforming material is urgently required on the production floor
Used to be fast paced environment that kept one motivated
Development Manager, Agile Coach/Facilitator (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 23, 2013
Get to work early, review newly arrived defects and previous days progress on development tasks and test progress. Reach out to technical support and customer facing teams (Alpha/Beta/Customer trials) to discuss product related concerns and newly reported issues and their impact to customer. Review each item to determine importance (customer impact/technology exposure etc). Review workload for week, adjust workload to ensure team are working on the most important and valuable items first.

Have a 1:1 with one person of team to ensure job satisfaction, review progress with training on skills needed for job, any work related ideas the person has, that need support and sponsor ship.

Daily update to weekly project status report, that needs to be given to upper management at weekly program reviews
Fast pace always changing
Training Specialist (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 8, 2013
Pros: continuous learning
Cons: culture is always changing as the organization continues to go through changes
Working for BlackBerry is very fast paced with an environment that is continuously changing. Whether it be the culture or the products we must always be ready to react to meet deadlines and continue to always be willing to learn new processes and procedures. Along with developing/implementing content that best suits the learners needs, we are continually improving our internal processes through value stream mapping and engaging our customers so that we build and maintain strong relationships as we eliminate all waste within our process. Our end goal is ultimately to ensure that the learners grow and develop the skills and competencies that they need to succeed within their individual role and to build a quality product.
Industry