BlackBerry Employee Reviews

Stressful all the time
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 September 2016
Senior Leadership is very deceptive. They continuously tell you what you want to hear and say it is the truth, all the time setting you up for failure. Promising things they never deliver. Always getting you to change job descriptions and sign new contracts to keep your job even though you are full-time, to cut benefits, cut wages, and make it easier to layoff. Giving huge bonuses to senior leadership and raises and stock options, while freezing wages and cutting bonuses from middle management and below.
Pros
good benefits for now
Cons
Always worried about layoffs
Blackberry
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON1 September 2016
At Blackberry it was a wonderful journey working in the highly paced environment of one of the leading company in the world.
The learning process was very efficient as training department was engaged in offering on job training and also development courses. The company also offered external courses.
We worked as a team and achieved many milestones. The working environment was incredible and left many memorable memories of co-workers.
The hardest part of the job when company downfall started and many employees lost their jobs.
We most enjoyable part when we reach the highest number of customers subscribe Blackberry BBM.
Pros
Best benefits, RRSP match
Cons
No growth
I was good on the early years.
Product Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 November 2016
The work environment was great when I start at Blackberry. Good balance between work and personal life. Great project to work and great people. Unfortunately at the and end the lay offs make the work environment very depressing.
Pros
good salary and benifits
Cons
bad work environment
A very good Job
Board Repair Operator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 September 2016
BlackBerry was a great place to work at. The people were friendly and helpful. We had a great time there. The pay and benefits were very good.
Management were easy to work for. They cared about their people.
Pros
Good Pay, Good People
Cons
They cut jobs
excellent place to work if you can get it
Software Tester and Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 July 2016
Great place to work. I was on coop here so I was treated the same as an employee and got a great salary, benefits, days off, etc. Contractors on the other hand get the short end of the stick. I would love to work for BB again but not sure if I wanted to deal with being a contractor there. They do not hire a lot of actual employees so the positions are coveted if you can get them. As for job security it is a little iffy as they laid off about half their workforce while I was there including some members of my team. It is a scary thing to go through. Hopefully they will bounce back as a company because working there was a blast.

They really do look out for work/life balance at BlackBerry. They have decent vacation time and "BlackBerry days" around Christmas to cover the days that are not stats so almost everyone can take Christmas off (only a few essential personal have to work during holidays). If you want to volunteer they may even pay you your regular wage to do so (I got to volunteer at We Day for Free the Children in Waterloo and got paid as if I was working the day).

The software testing teams are great and I had a blast working for them. Trying to "break" the software and find defects before OS builds were launched was a lot of fun. Team outings were great as was the coop social committee.

Wages are very good. As a coop student I got paid the same as a regular employee and made $64k/year before overtime. Overtime opportunists are frequent in the testing department so you can make very good money there.
good work-life balance but a company falling apart
Senior Distribution Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 January 2016
Pros:
- good base salary
- decent bonus
- good benefits
- good work-life balance

Cons:
- Management has no clue what they are doing. The execs change every 6 months. No feasible operational objectives other than cutting employees
- no career advancement these days as layoff is often.
- Laying odd and organizational realignment happenings throw employees into constant state of ambiguity.

Join BlackBerry for only personal reasons such as new grad, if you live close to Waterloo, too good a salary or if you would like to be slacker.

Dont join for career advancement or job security.
Pros
free phones
Cons
poor job security
Decent Company to Work for
Technical Specialist - Back Line Team (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 May 2016
- Salary and benefits are great
- too many layers of management
- too much red tape for processes
- advancement has been challenges due to nature of the business,
Configuration Management Specialist 11/SAP Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 April 2016
Blackberry is a good place to work, salary is good and benefits. Recently the company is going down because of stiff competition in the smart phone market.
Pros
Gret work life balance
Cons
too much lay offs
Fun place to work
Software Interoperability Test Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 September 2016
A typical day at work would be full of stress and a lot to do in less time. I personally learned lots of personal skills including time management and communication.
Pros
Employee perks were really good!
Software Engineer in Test
Software Development Engineer in Test (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON5 October 2016
I worked as a contractor at Blackberry's Kanata offices. I had a great 6 months there. The co-workers were top notch and the work was really technically advanced compared to my previous jobs. The environment was what you would expect from software development shops, there was a daily standup and backlog boards. My co-workers were intense but in a laid back way, if that makes sense. It was a no nonsense type of place. I can't think of any "hardest" parts of the job, as I liked going there every work day. What I liked about the job was the care Blackberry took to provide its workers with the tools and support they needed to get things done
Pros
Cafeteria, ergonomic consultants, quiet environment
Cons
Kanata offices did not have many amenities in the neighbourhood
fun, great work environment, and very productive work place.
Hardware System Designer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 July 2016
I loved my office and my lab spaces. the team was very supportive of each other. the work space was very relaxing and offered basic necessities and a little more to make the work enjoyable for the employees since many of us used to put more working hours when needed. the team was close and we had many team events. the management was very supportive with everything we needed to accomplish the tasks with high quality. for a hardware system engineer we were traveling from the office to the lab many time a day. we had all the required tools in both workplaces to ease the day on us.

in this job, not only i learned different technical skills since i took different tasks in every projects, but also i gained life skills and leadership skills. the most enjoyable part of the job was the excitement of the new project and brainstorming with the co-worker. ad i guess the hardest part was as in every job meeting the deadline while trying to beat the market with new technology.
A Good place for work and life
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 August 2016
Work/life balance is great. Nice people. Employee can learn a lot as long as he/she wants. Management is excellent, no worries.
BlackBerry is a great company to work at.
Network Data Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, Ontario3 February 2016
BlackBerry is a great company to work at. It has competitive salary and benefits. The company is pioneer in building smart phones.
Challenging Work Place
Software Testing Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 January 2016
Very good work place for people who like challenges and changes frequently. Employees treated very well and career growth is guranteed
Pros
Salary Benefit
Cons
Frequent Changes
Typical Corporate Environment, Out of Touch Management
Radio Embedded Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 October 2016
Too much offloading of management's responsibilities onto the bottom of the chain. Mismanagement leads to collapse. Used to be a thriving, booming company, but got too caught up in it's own echo chamber to see the collapse that seemed obvious to anyone in the lower tiers.
It was fun and learning process to work for Blackberry.
LCD Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 July 2016
Again it was fun to work with a group of talented people close to 10 years where you almost knew most the people in your group and other groups because of job interrelated issues and spirit of team work was always there. The best part of the job was when we launched new product and had a good share of market in those days but must admit that wasn't there at the end that put lots of stress on us. Again over all I enjoyed working for Blackberry all those years and wish it never ended.
Pros
It is always fun to work for large company, there is lots of learning involved
Cons
At the end it was stressful when your product not recognized in the market like before.
Good place to work in early years, not a secure place now
Manager, Supply Chain Excellence (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 June 2015
Very challenging, with very long hours and heavy workload during the expansion years.

Improved a lot on processes and procedures during the years, learned something new every day

Management changed often that affected company performance, sometimes I felt they were looking more for personal interests rather than company interests, which reflected on company perfomance on the last years

Co-workers very profesional and good work conduct, not a friendly place though

Most enjoyable part was the travelling to different manufacturing locations, working closely with colleagues from other departments, knowing them better, learning about different sides of the business
Pros
Compensation and benefits were very good
Cons
Insecurity of the job due to massive lay offs, long hours
Good company for pushing technological boundaries in a competitive market
R&D Mechanical - Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 September 2015
Great company to work for, and compelling new technologies and process to utilize and integrate, flexible work hours and results driven management. Work environment is team oriented with great personnel to work and succeed on projects.
Pros
Great benefits, highly competitive salary, results rewarded management system.
Cons
Company realigning market strategy to become less reliant on hardware.
Loved my job at BlackBerry
SOFTWARE SYSTEMS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 November 2016
Really enjoyed working at BlackBerry and had great job satisfaction. Unfortunately the last couple of years job security was up and down which lowered morale of my peers.
A very good company with lots of potential
Director (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 May 2016
Blackberry is one of the companies which are blessed with several opportunities in wireless connectivity and mobility area. My day at blackberry would be filled with learning, challenges, new ideas and interacting with lots of creative people. One cannot just sit and do routine work at Blackberry . Management was very supportive and passionate about organization goals. When the environment is just right for you, even the hardest task looks like an easy one. Isnt it?
Pros
Flexibility of hours

4.2