BlackBerry Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Different departments have very different cultures
Enterprise Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2017
The management teams in the sales organizations literally only cared about that quarter's sales quotas. Sadly they didn't care about removing roadblocks, supporting their teams or trying to work together with other teams to make sales easier. They were extremely short sighted and sadly, I think this is why most of the people on my team left the company. Luckily, my team supported each other and we helped each other when we had issues, or else things would have been much worse.
Pros
I got to work with great people, and learned a lot about business, politics, and leadership.
Cons
No long term vision, no strategy behind new licensing structures, messaging to existing customers or marketing capabilities as they had cut most of these areas.
Fast paced, at times stressfull
Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 September 2017
Your typical high tech company, which can be extremely stressful. Most of the people who worked there were ambitious and willing to help, which makes it a little bit easier.
Management rarely understood end user needs, which led to downward spiral.
Great place to learn and begin your career
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 September 2017
This was a great company. Good place to learn and very challenging projects. The work life balance was great followed by great compensation. Unfortunately, the company has changed a lot since I worked there
Ok place to work.
Project Coordinator - BSIM (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 September 2017
Ok place to work due to the following:
- worked there when the company wasn't doing too great due to the products and reputation of the brand
- got exposure to a large organization
Best place ever to have worked for..!!
Operations Support - Production (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 September 2017
- Amazing team, and an amazing management.
- Awesome work environment
- Brilliantly managed IT environment
- Great team and teamwork
- Amazing place to show off your skills and get new skills with skills sharing work-shops.
Pros
Just a awesome place to work..even today I firmly believe...!
Cons
absolutly nothing...except the very top management issues, which does not really effect employees like me, maybe in the long term like layoffs..
smart people, very laid back environment
Global Sales (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 September 2017
smart people, very laid back environment with a good balance between work & personal life. Salaries are good as well. The company is doing much better than where it was 2 years ago considering they're moving from devices to software.
Strong technology in competitive markets
Senior Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 September 2017
Very strong and innovative technology company. Wiling to commit capital to invest in technology and growth; however, missed a key decision to focus on end user needs to use applications to enable devices to be great tools for work and personal use
Pros
Strategic investment
Cons
Missed the application revolution in markets
Too much management and a depressing environment
BBM Advertising Operations Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 August 2017
The environment is depressing since everyone knows that the company is on the decline. Good organization to have on a resume if you're a co-op student though.
REPAIRS DIVISION CLERK (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON24 August 2017
Most of my days at work where good days, relaxed people were friendly
I learnt lot of things concerning blackberry stuff, usage before it came to the market
I enjoyed company treats, free blackberry, free dinners
Fun, Fast and Friendly
Project Management Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 August 2017
BB was a great place to work. It offered employees opportunities for growth and you got to work amongst some very bright people.

Hardest part of the job was maintaining work life balance as the work would draw you in.
Pros
Very Cool and Lots of Learning
Cons
Work Life Balance.
Call Centers aren't healthy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 August 2017
Being strapped to a phone and desk all day isn't good for anyone. While management doesn't listen to their staff regarding the day to day deployment of products BlackBerry threw away their reputation and the staff suffered for it.
Wonderful company
Systems Analyst II (B2B Integration) (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON16 August 2017
I loved working at BlackBerry, they have a fantastic culture and respect for employees, also the workplace is the most dynamic I have ever worked in. I enjoyed my work there and I felt the results I got were greatly appreciated. Constant feedback was also a great motivator.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Sometimes "too" dynamic
Relaxed work environment
Data Network Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 August 2017
I was a part of the Network Design Team. Work was all project based so we had well defined timelines. Everyone was very helpful and always eager to offer their suggestions. Immense respect among team members and managers knew their roles well.
Pros
Vendor Lunches, flexible work hours, great pay
Cons
job security
not great
Team Lead - Software Development Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 August 2017
I was not hired for the skills that I possessed at the time and therefore was not able to properly assess the company from where I fit. I think we all know the BB story by now.
great place to work - wish i was still there
Manufacturing Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 July 2017
always changing & variety in work environment. real people with good working relationships. versatile and flexible with great leadership. huge accomplishments in a short time frame
amazing opportunities as a coop student
Recruitment Coordinator Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 July 2017
I wasn't full time, i was a coop student but the role allowed me to meet a lot of people and be exposed to a lot of different things. Defiently a place I would recommend for a coop
SOX Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 July 2017
Every position is different but the typical day is 9-5 with 30 minute lunches. To be successful in any position, you need to like the tasks for that job and the people you come in contact with.
I loved working for BlackBerry
Technical Facilitation Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 July 2017
Lots of room to grow, great people and generally a very 'work-hard/play-hard' style of work. Some days were incredibly long hours to complete a project, while other days was fun in the sun.

The only issue I ever had was the uncertainty of knowing if the position I was in would be there the following day, due to the fluctuations in the market and how the company was doing.
Pros
Various events, team building
Cons
Long hours, job instability.
Great Place to Work
Head of Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 July 2017
Inspired and motivated staff who like to work hard and play hard. I worked at BlackBErry from 2008-2015. A lot of changes through that time and much more since I left. The compnay is now software only with no devices or BBM.
Pros
great environment - motivating with good leadership
Cons
business contraction
Great Work Culture
Product Demand Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 June 2017
Great Work Culture; focused on employee advancement; customer satisfaction, innovation; great work/life balance; investing in employee's education, etc...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BlackBerry. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2