BlackBerry Employee Reviews

Blackberry
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONSeptember 1, 2016
At Blackberry it was a wonderful journey working in the highly paced environment of one of the leading company in the world.
The learning process was very efficient as training department was engaged in offering on job training and also development courses. The company also offered external courses.
We worked as a team and achieved many milestones. The working environment was incredible and left many memorable memories of co-workers.
The hardest part of the job when company downfall started and many employees lost their jobs.
We most enjoyable part when we reach the highest number of customers subscribe Blackberry BBM.
Pros
Best benefits, RRSP match
Cons
No growth
Stressful all the time
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 20, 2016
Senior Leadership is very deceptive. They continuously tell you what you want to hear and say it is the truth, all the time setting you up for failure. Promising things they never deliver. Always getting you to change job descriptions and sign new contracts to keep your job even though you are full-time, to cut benefits, cut wages, and make it easier to layoff. Giving huge bonuses to senior leadership and raises and stock options, while freezing wages and cutting bonuses from middle management and below.
Pros
good benefits for now
Cons
Always worried about layoffs
It was fun and learning process to work for Blackberry.
LCD Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 19, 2016
Again it was fun to work with a group of talented people close to 10 years where you almost knew most the people in your group and other groups because of job interrelated issues and spirit of team work was always there. The best part of the job was when we launched new product and had a good share of market in those days but must admit that wasn't there at the end that put lots of stress on us. Again over all I enjoyed working for Blackberry all those years and wish it never ended.
Pros
It is always fun to work for large company, there is lots of learning involved
Cons
At the end it was stressful when your product not recognized in the market like before.
Smart & dedicated employee base
Sales (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 15, 2016
The employees in general are talented, smart and have a strong desire to see the company succeed in its efforts to turn around. Morale in general is very low given the constant restructuring and resulting downsizing that occurs regularly. Leadership tends to close ranks and rather than listen to the valuable experience and insight from their teams, sometimes make short sighted decisions.
Pros
Decent salaries, challenging work, great people
Cons
Significant churn, changing priorities and direction
A very good company with lots of potential
Director (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 19, 2016
Blackberry is one of the companies which are blessed with several opportunities in wireless connectivity and mobility area. My day at blackberry would be filled with learning, challenges, new ideas and interacting with lots of creative people. One cannot just sit and do routine work at Blackberry . Management was very supportive and passionate about organization goals. When the environment is just right for you, even the hardest task looks like an easy one. Isnt it?
Pros
Flexibility of hours
Productive Co-op Work Term
Applications Software Development Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 20, 2016
Four month Co-op work term as Applications Software Development Student. Responsibilities included Fixing software bugs for BlackBerry Priv, giving updates for stand-up meetings everyday and I was also a part of Sprint planning meetings every second Monday.
Great place to work, everyone was "all in" in making the company move forward.
MANAGER, Global Data Centre Planning & Governance (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 5, 2016
My time at RIM/Blackberry was amazing. I was empowered in everything that I was tasked with and the support that I received was amazing. The teams that I worked with were driven and the "teaming" that took place made every day coming to work exciting and enjoyable. It's a shame that some very bad decisions were made by Sr. leaders there.
Pros
Great teams and very exciting project work.
Cons
Poor Mgt. decisions that affect the whole company.
The Research in Motion was one of the most valuable recently emerged assets of the Canadian economy. and it was failed to preserve it.
assembler (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 22, 2016
The Research in Motion was one of the most valuable newly emerged assets of the Canadian economy in high tech. and it was failed to preserve it.
Pros
free concerts
Always something new
Sr Manager Custommer Support (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 17, 2016
The only thing constant is change is definitely true if you work for BlackBerry. If you like change, then this is the place for you. There is always a new product, or project that needs work.

For me that has been exciting as I have had the opportunity to work in various roles and responsibility.

I think the hardest part has been the last few years, as the uncertainty can be hard on teams.
fun, great work environment, and very productive work place.
Hardware System Designer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 20, 2016
I loved my office and my lab spaces. the team was very supportive of each other. the work space was very relaxing and offered basic necessities and a little more to make the work enjoyable for the employees since many of us used to put more working hours when needed. the team was close and we had many team events. the management was very supportive with everything we needed to accomplish the tasks with high quality. for a hardware system engineer we were traveling from the office to the lab many time a day. we had all the required tools in both workplaces to ease the day on us.

in this job, not only i learned different technical skills since i took different tasks in every projects, but also i gained life skills and leadership skills. the most enjoyable part of the job was the excitement of the new project and brainstorming with the co-worker. ad i guess the hardest part was as in every job meeting the deadline while trying to beat the market with new technology.
Great place to work at and lot of exposure to co-ops
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 24, 2016
- Assigned various projects
- Polished my technical knowledge
- Friendly management
- Helping co-workers
- Great atmosphere to work in

In particular I appreciate the exposure BlackBerry gives to its co-op
Professional, Productive, Creative, hardworking, Friendly
Software Test Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 14, 2016
BlackBerry provided professional and friendly environment to employees. During my co-op experience in BlackBerry as software test associate, I had opportunities to experience in building up significant fundamental testing knowledge, bug reporting with JIRA, professional documentation skills, and good organizational skills. I improved my interpersonal and communication skills, time management, prioritization skills, and efficient collaboration in any teams. Co-workers always provided fully support. I really enjoyed to discuss all issues with co-workers when we tested the software.
Team and goal oriented environment.
Assistant Project Co-ordinator (Full-time co-op) (Former Employee) –  4701 Tahoe BlvdFebruary 2, 2016
Working at Blackberry, employee's get the sense that they are apart of a real team. Many aspects of the daily job requires working with many team members, updating each other on their day's achievements or road blocks. Due to the high amount of team members, the assistant project co-ordinators had to have great time management and interpersonal skills to make sure day to day operations ran smoothly. As an employee at Blackberry, one will soon realize that there are many projects which require massive teams to complete, which can be very difficult to achieve if any sector is not running smoothly.
Good learning opportunity as a student
Interoperability Test Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 12, 2016
I have learned a lot during my co-op at BB. Its a great place to work. People there are amazing and fun to work with. Hardest part of the job was stress associated with work/life balance.
Overall it was an awesome experience!
A very condusive environment and culture to work in.
Refrigeration Operator B (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 26, 2016
A very condusive environment and culture to work in.
The company provides a world class working environment and promotes continuous improvement and learning .
Pros
Continuous improvement
Dead company.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 4, 2016
don't work for blackberry. dead company with no vision. management is incompetent. company is dead within 2 years. jump ship! overpaid execs. Avoid like the plague
Pros
Cons
too many to list
good work-life balance but a company falling apart
Senior Distribution Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Pros:
- good base salary
- decent bonus
- good benefits
- good work-life balance

Cons:
- Management has no clue what they are doing. The execs change every 6 months. No feasible operational objectives other than cutting employees
- no career advancement these days as layoff is often.
- Laying odd and organizational realignment happenings throw employees into constant state of ambiguity.

Join BlackBerry for only personal reasons such as new grad, if you live close to Waterloo, too good a salary or if you would like to be slacker.

Dont join for career advancement or job security.
Pros
free phones
Cons
poor job security
Amazing and fun place to work
Student Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 3, 2016
Enriching experience for a coop student. Blackberry gave me opportunities to grow in a company and establish myself in a team. I am very happy with my work in Blackerry.
Not enough time in company to write review
Process Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 3, 2016
Not enough time in company to write review. But RIM at the time had great reputation. wanted to a part of cool technology.
Pros
Good name brand
Cons
Too many people
Blackberry is on the table
NPI Operator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON, New Product IntroductionJanuary 16, 2016
To work at Research In Motion is a challange and is a culture.Working there is a plasure.The workdays are buzzy as possible.You are allways connected with your workplace,with your cooworkers,and have the feeling without you cannot happend anything.It is a lifestayle.
Organizing,communicating,managing things fast and the most easy way.
Team work is the best thing at the Rresearch In Motion.And a lot of fun.
Pros
The best place to challange yourself.
Cons
Buzzy.

4.2