BlackBerry Employee Reviews in Canada

It was fun and learning process to work for Blackberry.
LCD Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 19, 2016
Again it was fun to work with a group of talented people close to 10 years where you almost knew most the people in your group and other groups because of job interrelated issues and spirit of team work was always there. The best part of the job was when we launched new product and had a good share of market in those days but must admit that wasn't there at the end that put lots of stress on us. Again over all I enjoyed working for Blackberry all those years and wish it never ended.
Pros
It is always fun to work for large company, there is lots of learning involved
Cons
At the end it was stressful when your product not recognized in the market like before.
excellent place to work if you can get it
Software Tester and Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 4, 2016
Great place to work. I was on coop here so I was treated the same as an employee and got a great salary, benefits, days off, etc. Contractors on the other hand get the short end of the stick. I would love to work for BB again but not sure if I wanted to deal with being a contractor there. They do not hire a lot of actual employees so the positions are coveted if you can get them. As for job security it is a little iffy as they laid off about half their workforce while I was there including some members of my team. It is a scary thing to go through. Hopefully they will bounce back as a company because working there was a blast.

They really do look out for work/life balance at BlackBerry. They have decent vacation time and "BlackBerry days" around Christmas to cover the days that are not stats so almost everyone can take Christmas off (only a few essential personal have to work during holidays). If you want to volunteer they may even pay you your regular wage to do so (I got to volunteer at We Day for Free the Children in Waterloo and got paid as if I was working the day).

The software testing teams are great and I had a blast working for them. Trying to "break" the software and find defects before OS builds were launched was a lot of fun. Team outings were great as was the coop social committee.

Wages are very good. As a coop student I got paid the same as a regular employee and made $64k/year before overtime. Overtime opportunists are frequent in the testing department so you can make very good money there.
Technology lead company
Senior Embedded Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 26, 2016
BlackBerry was a competitive company and environment to work in. New technologies were the culture of BlackBerry at my time.
Smart & dedicated employee base
Sales (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 15, 2016
The employees in general are talented, smart and have a strong desire to see the company succeed in its efforts to turn around. Morale in general is very low given the constant restructuring and resulting downsizing that occurs regularly. Leadership tends to close ranks and rather than listen to the valuable experience and insight from their teams, sometimes make short sighted decisions.
Pros
Decent salaries, challenging work, great people
Cons
Significant churn, changing priorities and direction
Not enough time in company to write review
Process Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 3, 2016
Not enough time in company to write review. But RIM at the time had great reputation. wanted to a part of cool technology.
Pros
Good name brand
Cons
Too many people
Amazing and fun place to work
Student Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 3, 2016
Enriching experience for a coop student. Blackberry gave me opportunities to grow in a company and establish myself in a team. I am very happy with my work in Blackerry.
Decent Company to Work for
Technical Specialist - Back Line Team (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 24, 2016
- Salary and benefits are great
- too many layers of management
- too much red tape for processes
- advancement has been challenges due to nature of the business,
Great place to work at and lot of exposure to co-ops
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 24, 2016
- Assigned various projects
- Polished my technical knowledge
- Friendly management
- Helping co-workers
- Great atmosphere to work in

In particular I appreciate the exposure BlackBerry gives to its co-op
A very good company with lots of potential
Director (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 19, 2016
Blackberry is one of the companies which are blessed with several opportunities in wireless connectivity and mobility area. My day at blackberry would be filled with learning, challenges, new ideas and interacting with lots of creative people. One cannot just sit and do routine work at Blackberry . Management was very supportive and passionate about organization goals. When the environment is just right for you, even the hardest task looks like an easy one. Isnt it?
Pros
Flexibility of hours
Great place to work, everyone was "all in" in making the company move forward.
MANAGER, Global Data Centre Planning & Governance (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 5, 2016
My time at RIM/Blackberry was amazing. I was empowered in everything that I was tasked with and the support that I received was amazing. The teams that I worked with were driven and the "teaming" that took place made every day coming to work exciting and enjoyable. It's a shame that some very bad decisions were made by Sr. leaders there.
Pros
Great teams and very exciting project work.
Cons
Poor Mgt. decisions that affect the whole company.
A very condusive environment and culture to work in.
Refrigeration Operator B (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 26, 2016
A very condusive environment and culture to work in.
The company provides a world class working environment and promotes continuous improvement and learning .
Pros
Continuous improvement
Always something new
Sr Manager Custommer Support (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 17, 2016
The only thing constant is change is definitely true if you work for BlackBerry. If you like change, then this is the place for you. There is always a new product, or project that needs work.

For me that has been exciting as I have had the opportunity to work in various roles and responsibility.

I think the hardest part has been the last few years, as the uncertainty can be hard on teams.
Good learning opportunity as a student
Interoperability Test Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 12, 2016
I have learned a lot during my co-op at BB. Its a great place to work. People there are amazing and fun to work with. Hardest part of the job was stress associated with work/life balance.
Overall it was an awesome experience!
Currently has very low job security
Automated Test Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 9, 2016
Great place to work, but due to the company's current financial position there are many cutbacks and lay offs without any prior notice.
Configuration Management Specialist 11/SAP Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 7, 2016
Blackberry is a good place to work, salary is good and benefits. Recently the company is going down because of stiff competition in the smart phone market.
Pros
Gret work life balance
Cons
too much lay offs
Excellent work environment and healthy , and good benefit
ASSISTANT PRODUCTION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 9, 2016
Works begin with a meeting with our manager to give us the target for the day . And if there is any change in the product . I learned from working in this company commitment to quality , accuracy , speed and innovation , especially when there are specialized department and with experience , and the most enjoyable part in this company is to work with a team with a competition to develop yourself to serve the interests of the company and you in the same time .This company has a good quality staff , which helps to create an ideal working atmosphere and was working as a team is so dominant that it helps to increase the productivity of labor .
The difficult time at work is when when there is a shortage of parts for a certain period and did not get to goal , what it should be that day , but on the other hand , when we achieve the target we will be happy to primitive then new day and new target will start .
Pros
Four Breaks in addition to the lunch break
Cons
BlackBerry is a great place for Co-op opportunities.
Software Tool Developer (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 9, 2016
BlackBerry gave me a very good opportunity to learn, work and improve my technical skills. It is a great place to start your career.
Good work life balance
Global Manager - Security (Former Employee) –  kanata ,onMarch 7, 2016
Overall a good organization to work for, Unfortunately, BlackBerry has stepped from the limelight as a premier company.
Amazing experience
KPI PERFORMACE TESTER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 4, 2016
loved it, I did everything that i ever dreamed of doing. Worked on new devices all the time, created new testing scripts, tested DC power consumption.
Professional, Productive, Creative, hardworking, Friendly
Software Test Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 14, 2016
BlackBerry provided professional and friendly environment to employees. During my co-op experience in BlackBerry as software test associate, I had opportunities to experience in building up significant fundamental testing knowledge, bug reporting with JIRA, professional documentation skills, and good organizational skills. I improved my interpersonal and communication skills, time management, prioritization skills, and efficient collaboration in any teams. Co-workers always provided fully support. I really enjoyed to discuss all issues with co-workers when we tested the software.

4.2