BlackBerry Employee Reviews

Stressful all the time
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 September 2016
Senior Leadership is very deceptive. They continuously tell you what you want to hear and say it is the truth, all the time setting you up for failure. Promising things they never deliver. Always getting you to change job descriptions and sign new contracts to keep your job even though you are full-time, to cut benefits, cut wages, and make it easier to layoff. Giving huge bonuses to senior leadership and raises and stock options, while freezing wages and cutting bonuses from middle management and below.
Pros
good benefits for now
Cons
Always worried about layoffs
Software Engineer in Test
Software Development Engineer in Test (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON5 October 2016
I worked as a contractor at Blackberry's Kanata offices. I had a great 6 months there. The co-workers were top notch and the work was really technically advanced compared to my previous jobs. The environment was what you would expect from software development shops, there was a daily standup and backlog boards. My co-workers were intense but in a laid back way, if that makes sense. It was a no nonsense type of place. I can't think of any "hardest" parts of the job, as I liked going there every work day. What I liked about the job was the care Blackberry took to provide its workers with the tools and support they needed to get things done
Pros
Cafeteria, ergonomic consultants, quiet environment
Cons
Kanata offices did not have many amenities in the neighbourhood
Blackberry
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON1 September 2016
At Blackberry it was a wonderful journey working in the highly paced environment of one of the leading company in the world.
The learning process was very efficient as training department was engaged in offering on job training and also development courses. The company also offered external courses.
We worked as a team and achieved many milestones. The working environment was incredible and left many memorable memories of co-workers.
The hardest part of the job when company downfall started and many employees lost their jobs.
We most enjoyable part when we reach the highest number of customers subscribe Blackberry BBM.
Pros
Best benefits, RRSP match
Cons
No growth
Typical Corporate Environment, Out of Touch Management
Radio Embedded Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 October 2016
Too much offloading of management's responsibilities onto the bottom of the chain. Mismanagement leads to collapse. Used to be a thriving, booming company, but got too caught up in it's own echo chamber to see the collapse that seemed obvious to anyone in the lower tiers.
I was good on the early years.
Product Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 November 2016
The work environment was great when I start at Blackberry. Good balance between work and personal life. Great project to work and great people. Unfortunately at the and end the lay offs make the work environment very depressing.
Pros
good salary and benifits
Cons
bad work environment
It was fun and learning process to work for Blackberry.
LCD Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 July 2016
Again it was fun to work with a group of talented people close to 10 years where you almost knew most the people in your group and other groups because of job interrelated issues and spirit of team work was always there. The best part of the job was when we launched new product and had a good share of market in those days but must admit that wasn't there at the end that put lots of stress on us. Again over all I enjoyed working for Blackberry all those years and wish it never ended.
Pros
It is always fun to work for large company, there is lots of learning involved
Cons
At the end it was stressful when your product not recognized in the market like before.
Productive Co-op Work Term
Applications Software Development Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 August 2016
Four month Co-op work term as Applications Software Development Student. Responsibilities included Fixing software bugs for BlackBerry Priv, giving updates for stand-up meetings everyday and I was also a part of Sprint planning meetings every second Monday.
Smart & dedicated employee base
Sales (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 June 2016
The employees in general are talented, smart and have a strong desire to see the company succeed in its efforts to turn around. Morale in general is very low given the constant restructuring and resulting downsizing that occurs regularly. Leadership tends to close ranks and rather than listen to the valuable experience and insight from their teams, sometimes make short sighted decisions.
Pros
Decent salaries, challenging work, great people
Cons
Significant churn, changing priorities and direction
The Research in Motion was one of the most valuable recently emerged assets of the Canadian economy. and it was failed to preserve it.
assembler (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 August 2016
The Research in Motion was one of the most valuable newly emerged assets of the Canadian economy in high tech. and it was failed to preserve it.
Pros
free concerts
Fun place to work
Software Interoperability Test Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 September 2016
A typical day at work would be full of stress and a lot to do in less time. I personally learned lots of personal skills including time management and communication.
Pros
Employee perks were really good!
A very good Job
Board Repair Operator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 September 2016
BlackBerry was a great place to work at. The people were friendly and helpful. We had a great time there. The pay and benefits were very good.
Management were easy to work for. They cared about their people.
Pros
Good Pay, Good People
Cons
They cut jobs
A very good company with lots of potential
Director (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 May 2016
Blackberry is one of the companies which are blessed with several opportunities in wireless connectivity and mobility area. My day at blackberry would be filled with learning, challenges, new ideas and interacting with lots of creative people. One cannot just sit and do routine work at Blackberry . Management was very supportive and passionate about organization goals. When the environment is just right for you, even the hardest task looks like an easy one. Isnt it?
Pros
Flexibility of hours
Great place to work, everyone was "all in" in making the company move forward.
MANAGER, Global Data Centre Planning & Governance (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 May 2016
My time at RIM/Blackberry was amazing. I was empowered in everything that I was tasked with and the support that I received was amazing. The teams that I worked with were driven and the "teaming" that took place made every day coming to work exciting and enjoyable. It's a shame that some very bad decisions were made by Sr. leaders there.
Pros
Great teams and very exciting project work.
Cons
Poor Mgt. decisions that affect the whole company.
It is owesome company
Software Tester Student (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 October 2016
My previous company, Blackberry, is so nice company that provided lots of opportunities for employees to improve themselves. And the managers and team lead are very nice people.
Amazing place to work
Warehouse Operator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 October 2016
very friendly professional people top work with, i enjoyed all of my years there and have developed valuable work experience through the many jobs i shifted through.
Always something new
Sr Manager Custommer Support (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 April 2016
The only thing constant is change is definitely true if you work for BlackBerry. If you like change, then this is the place for you. There is always a new product, or project that needs work.

For me that has been exciting as I have had the opportunity to work in various roles and responsibility.

I think the hardest part has been the last few years, as the uncertainty can be hard on teams.
fun, great work environment, and very productive work place.
Hardware System Designer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 July 2016
I loved my office and my lab spaces. the team was very supportive of each other. the work space was very relaxing and offered basic necessities and a little more to make the work enjoyable for the employees since many of us used to put more working hours when needed. the team was close and we had many team events. the management was very supportive with everything we needed to accomplish the tasks with high quality. for a hardware system engineer we were traveling from the office to the lab many time a day. we had all the required tools in both workplaces to ease the day on us.

in this job, not only i learned different technical skills since i took different tasks in every projects, but also i gained life skills and leadership skills. the most enjoyable part of the job was the excitement of the new project and brainstorming with the co-worker. ad i guess the hardest part was as in every job meeting the deadline while trying to beat the market with new technology.
Dead company.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 September 2016
don't work for blackberry. dead company with no vision. management is incompetent. company is dead within 2 years. jump ship! overpaid execs. Avoid like the plague
Pros
Cons
too many to list
active and smart people
RF Design and Test Intern (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON31 October 2016
Great and rich company and of course very generous.
I really enjoyed working with smart collegues in the group of Advanced Concept.
Great place to work at and lot of exposure to co-ops
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 May 2016
- Assigned various projects
- Polished my technical knowledge
- Friendly management
- Helping co-workers
- Great atmosphere to work in

In particular I appreciate the exposure BlackBerry gives to its co-op

4.2