Join one of Canada’s largest media groups as a full-time junior PHP/SQL programmer and web developer to build, integrate and maintain a wide range of software applications and websites. This is an exciting opportunity for a novice candidate to create new projects and upgrade existing systems as part of a focused programming team. We need someone with a can-do attitude, passion for technology, necessary educational background, and ability to get up to speed quickly.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrated knowledge in the many features of PHP4/PHP5;
- Experience creating modern databases and writing queries in MySQL and/or PostgreSQL;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Self-motivation with a passion for problem-solving while learning best practices.
Bonus Skills & Experience:
- Some experience with Perl;
- Comfortable in Macintosh OS X and Linux operating environment;
- Ability to problem-solve with RESTful APIs and SOAP;
- Familiarity with Java development;
- Understanding of Apache Tomcat, FreeBSD and basic server administration;
- Any knowledge of HTML5, CSS3, Velocity and/or InterSytems Caché.
Scope of Position:
Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, the successful candidate will creatively complete ongoing programming projects within the allotted resources and timelines. The person will be evaluated on demonstrated abilities to meet standards and deadlines while working in a collaborative environment with a group of talent individuals who have a passion for creating content in print and online.
Black Press offers competitive compensation, benefits and opportunities for career development. We are only accepting candidates willing to work business hours at the BC Head Office in Surrey (5460 152nd St). Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Email cover letter, resume and any examples of your work referencing "07192013JP".
Posting Closes on: 2013-08-02