Black Diamond Group Employee Reviews

Decent place to work. I came here during their growth phase and have learned a lot.
Controller - Camps and Lodging (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2017
Good place to work but challenging. Constant changes but they miss on communicating to the employees well. Overall a good place I have enjoyed working here and learned lots.
Pros
Can learn lots if you align yourself to the right leadership group.
Cons
Long hours on occassion wothout any compenstaion for it.
A great place to learn all different aspects of construction
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Canada18 February 2017
I enjoyed this type of work as it is not a repetitive job. There are so many different aspects of setting up camps. I have experienced anything from rolling around under trailers to finish carpentry to operating equipment to being a lead hand and working with management.
Pros
Comfortable work environment
Cons
Must be able to be away from home for long periods of time
Excellent company
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 January 2017
loved working for black diamond group. Really good company overall. Typical day of work consisted of working ten hours, long but worth it. Excellent co workers.
Pros
salary
High stress, low pay
office worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 November 2015
This is a very difficult organization to work in. The leaders of this comapny only care about profits. They keep changing their minds about everything and don't stick to their plans. It is a disrespectful, high stress culture. They have a really nice office and pay peanuts to their staff.
Excellent Employer
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 November 2015
Progressive organization with a great culture and an excellent work/life balance. I learn a lot during my time there. I looked forward to go to work every Monday morning. The management is excellent to work for, there was always open communication and among my co-workers great attitude and they are all team players.
Camp life is a great way to save money but you have to commit yourself.
Lodge Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 November 2015
A typical day would be reading consumables ( propane, water and sewage levels) and doing any repairs around the camp as requested. You learn how to challenge yourself and adapted to the situations. I found management does not stand behind their employee. Your co-workers become your family members while away from home and you look forward to seeing them. The hardest part is not getting the supplies you need from management because they nickel and dime you and then lie right to your face. You can be called out in the wee hours of the morning at -30 below to unthaw frozen pipes, dig through snow to fix broken sewage lines.
I found the best thing about this job is when your there at the opening of your camp right through to the closing of your camp and looking back at how well you did in keeping issues to a minimum.
Pros
Challenging, make new friends, be part of a team, good way to save money.
Cons
call out at any hour, cold, dirty, maintenance manager will lie to you, always away from home but thats YOUR choice
Challenging yet satisfying experience
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary26 August 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Black Diamond. It was very challenging environment where I was able to introduce lot of process improvements, kind of work I enjoy. I was lucky to have supporting supervisors.

Got a chance to build a team of talented and committed individuals who worked very hard.
Exciting and challenging place to work.
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 April 2014
Very much enjoy my job with Black Diamond, I get along with everyone great. Being away from my family for three weeks at a time is hard to maintain, and still be a positive role model to my children.
Pros
fun and challenging place to work, with free room and board.
Cons
Away from home for 3 weeks at a time
Umm
Skilled Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2014
Good company. Great Ideas. Wonderful people. Low paying.
Lots of experience for young people breaking their way into the industry.
Pros
Working out of town for Camp owner
Cons
You sometimes get the worst rooms
Stressfull job enviroment
Intermediate Accountant (Current Employee) –  Calgary13 January 2014
Black Diamond Group is a stressful company to work for. Most of the days in a week the employees had to stay late to meet company's expectation. The company believes is hire and fire policy, reason staff turnover is over 30%. Not at all a good company to work for.
Pros
Calgary Downtown office
Cons
Stressfull, excessive workload, hire & fire