Black Box Network Services

Black Box Network Services Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Loved staying to work with co-workers
Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee), Tempe, AZJuly 16, 2014
Pros: loved working with co-workers
Cons: had to leave
Our Company Datel Communications was sold to this company Black Box. I stayed on to assist as CFO until a new one could be hired but instead they decided to have all accounting done in their corporate office in PA.
Comfortable workplace
Telecommunications/Administrative Assistant ǀ (Current Employee), Scottsdale, AZJuly 16, 2014
It's a daily routine at work everyday. Preparing for upcoming moves making sure that each cubicle that a crew member is moving to has a live port. Placing phones for new hire crew members, troubleshooting a ticket for a crew member that is having problems with their phones or port issues. After moves have been completed, I would close the moves and – more... update any ports that need to be added to the spreadsheet and add assets that are not listed on the move sheet. I learned to work on the phone switch to look for any phones that fall into alarms, then go to troubleshoot why it went into alarm. Programming phones and changing phone types on the phone switch. I'll honestly say that management could have some improvement and my co-workers, they're good to work with. They do a pretty good job on what needs to be done. Hardest part of the job is getting the workers lined up on each job and trying to keep them busy. Some of the workers get confused on what needs to be done and explaining to them that they need to write don what they did on the job. Most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to work on getting ports live for the cubicles or analyzing that when I need to swing a port, I thoroughly look for open ports that I can be swung to where it is needed in case there are no ports available. – less
I would not recommend working here
HR Administrator (Former Employee), Lawrence, PAJuly 7, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: bad working environment
The job was rather simple. Very tedious. All sorts of projects were made up that involved hours and hours of spreadsheets, when a simple report could have presented the same information.

People are quick to point fingers and throw each other under the bus. Very small quarters and a very old building. They had taken a circular conference room and put – more... eight cubes in it. It was just uncomfortable. – less
Grat place to work
Buyer / Planner (Former Employee), Lawrence, PAJune 27, 2014
Great place to work! The people and culture were above average. Lots of upper management changes created challenges.
Warehouse with really interesting inventory
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Lawrence, PAJune 13, 2014
Pros: free lunches. getting a look at some higher tier networking instruments.
Cons: lack of challenge.
My typical day involved lots of movement around the warehouse.
I learned how to operate different types of fork trucks.
The management was very down to earth.
Co-workers were long standing employees.
Making sure all of the hundreds of orders each day were correctly assembled would be the most difficult thing at this job.
Learning and operating the fork – more... trucks was the most enjoyable part of this job. – less
One person covering an entire state for a large retailer
Customer Service Technician (Former Employee), StatewideMay 24, 2014
Pros: company vehicle
Cons: lost expenses, don't pay for vacations hours when leaving
On call 24/7 so not very much home life balance.
Immediate manager was fantastic.
Lost expense reports and had to re-file.
Drive 8 to 10 hours to get to one location
Worked 10 months of a year accruing vacation, and when laid off they did not pay my vacation. HR told me we give it to you, but not this year. Even though none was take in 10 months.
Close knit teammates and staff.
Vice President, Finance and Administration (Former Employee), Long Island, NYMay 19, 2014
Company going through some changes, but still a good place to work.
Great Company
Network Technician (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCApril 17, 2014
Great company to work with. The Techs and project managers were very knowledgeable and nice. Received excellent training their
Was kind of like self employment
Technician III (Former Employee), Albany, NYMarch 29, 2014
Pros: i was allowed to do work from home.
Cons: black box is no longer servicing in the area i live. they closed shop.
I enjoyed my time at Black Box. The position was based on trust, all of my dispatches were provided by a company website.

All company interaction were done on-line. This company was very organized.
Estimating Manager (Current Employee), Herndon, VAFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: get to travel
Cons: no free lunch
Worked on large projects. Learned government contracting. Managed large database with the use of excel. Trained co-workers on materials used in the telco sector.
This company was good.
Order Writer (Former Employee), Littleton, COFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: salary
Cons: commute
This company is no longer in business. It was purchased by Arrow.
Logistic Duties
Logistic Manager (Current Employee), Fort Stewart, GANovember 5, 2013
Pros: wonderful people to work with and work for. great benefits.
Cons: contract work.
Purchase material for contractor’s onsite, receive shipments, return material (RMA), return excess material and spares to the government with transmittals, Track shipments, log inventory, obtain serial numbers for the warranty list and deliver material to contractors.
Manage the lay down yard and storage units allowing access to contractors, organizing – more... material, receiving shipments and a using a Forklift or Track hoe to unload equipment.
Coordinating and escorting Contractors, Vendors and Government personnel into buildings.
Schedule Network cutovers for contractors and the NEC. – less
place with its nice and strange sites
Data Centre Engineer (Former Employee), London, ENGOctober 21, 2013
Pros: free hot beverages
Cons: not payed extra hours work
It was pleasure to work there
Many challenges for to find the best way to menage a delicate jobs with plenty of things to prepare before starting to minimize risk of causing unwanted interference
Surveying the way to do the task, the materials needed to carry out the job and if it will need extra help from another engineer/s
Some times when it's to – more... busy the management team rely on decision
you have to make so the job is running with no delays – less
Enjoyable job but simply not enough work.
Office and Inventory Manager (Former Employee), Centennial, ColoradoOctober 8, 2013
Pros: flexible environment
Cons: too far from my home
The job was enjoyable and I was able to learn something about fiber optics installation but in the end, there simply wasn't enough work to do and I was laid off.
Good company Great fellow co-workers
Senior Field Engineer (Former Employee), Los Angeles CaliforniaOctober 1, 2013
Cons: no pay increasees
while i was at Black Box i had a good experience working for them good supervisor
Excellent working habits...
Senior Field Systems Technician/Engineer (Former Employee), Newport Beach, CASeptember 9, 2013
Daily customer support via systems problem solving. Scheduled system upgrades, adds, moves, and changes. Lead or manage major projects. Support co-workers in solving difficult system problems via hardware or software. Hardest part of the jobs is waiting for parts. Enjoy the satisfaction that difficult problems are resolve.
Just say interesting.
Site Technician (Former Employee), VAJuly 18, 2013
Loved the job and the daily challenges with working on the NEC product. I learned a lot over the years I worked there at Black Box Network Services. Worked with some great Black Box employees over the years.

As a site tech each year you have to constantly wonder if the contract will be renewed or not. After being there as long as I was there was no – more... real advancement with out moving (maybe some possibilities then) and took several years before a pay increase. As in any job there are pros and cons. Benefits were good. – less
National Accounts Project Manager
National Accounts Project Manager (Former Employee), Murfreesboro, TNJune 9, 2013
Pros: decent pay & benefits, very hands-off management style
Cons: extreme workload, unrealistic expectations from management, job security
As a National Accounts PM, I was in charge of national rollout contracts for Black Box customers.
During the contract, I was responsible for every facet of company performance, including sourcing and providing labor, providing day-of-installation technical support, attending all job related conference calls, processing subcontractor invoices and work – more... orders, ordering materials and getting them sent out to locations, monitoring labor and job costs, the list goes on. My typical day would start as early as 8:00am, and could last well into the following morning, sometimes as late as 2:00am.
I learned how to manage time very quickly, as I had no help to speak of and was responsible for everything down to the smallest detail.
Management was mostly hands-off, so long as there were no issues with contract performance. During the few issues I did have, management was mostly helpful in executing fixes. There was at times, however, a very threatening aura from management regarding issues that I would sometimes consider beyond my control.
My co-workers were just as overworked as I was. Everyone there was juggling far too much, so acquiring help was usually at the expense of someone else's time.
The hardest part of my job was the workload itself. Some weeks I put in 60+ hours, and that was just barely keeping up. Also difficult was the phasing out of company technicians, and conversion to 100% subcontractors. It made it very difficult to assure quality to the customer, and maintain control over the labor portion of the project.
The most enjoyable aspect was the freedom I had over my time and work schedule. Being that I put in at least 50, usually 60 hours a week, I pretty much came and went as I pleased, provided my project responsibilities were safely handled for the time being. – less
Decreased benefits decreased incentive
MAC Coordinator (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 20, 2013
Started okay but now workload has doubled and policy is no raises. Insurance has became a tax nothing more.
Geat place to work
Commercial Cable Installer (Former Employee), Duluth, GAApril 19, 2013
Pros: lots of traveling, good pa
Cons: lots of traveling
I love working for this company i just could stay there because my wife also worked there which make me work as a temp.

1 2 3

About Black Box Network Services

There's no mystery behind how Black Box does business. The company distributes and supports voice and data networking infrastructure. – Read more