Black Box Network Services Employee Reviews

Work here at your own Risk (former employee)
Technician (Former Employee) –  United States12 November 2016
I worked here for many years, I did advance in the field but capped out there. Not going to advance unless you're family or have the right last name. Management was unprofessional towards field techs. Most techs weren't given the opportunity to advance period. EMPTY PROMISES from the beginning.
Pros
Meet new people, see some cool places
Cons
Pay, union, benefits, management, life
Productive and fun place to work
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH27 September 2016
A typical day for me was installing telephone and computer cabling and equipment. I enjoyed working with all of the people that i worked with from co workers to management to customers. the hardest part of the job for me was being put in charge on my fist job due to this was the company that i had my start in this business. the most enjoyable part for me was working in various places meeting new people and getting the respect from my co workers or my work ethics.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
N/A
Never trust this company or the management
Sales (Former Employee) –  US11 May 2016
Black Box stock down almost 10% today. This is a trend that will not stop until upper management gets slashed. It will be difficult for the new CEO to see thru the smoke but sales will continue to decline with this leadership in place. You are nothing but a pencil, desk, or nameless employee to this group. From a sales perspective new job seekers should run from this company because you will be lied to, will not get any useful training and be grilled every week on production but offer no help. Also get ready for sales force. It is a great tool but the executives at BB think it can sell. It can't. It is a tool for the BB managers to track their lack of sales. For the shareholders were you told "we have taken action on the mid-enterprise group"? What they mean to say is they fired some of the most talented sales people in the industry, highest producers in the company, but were able to report they took action. Their action is showing in the stock price. Run investors Run.
Pros
One BB is a good idea
Cons
Horrible management at corporate and in the field
terrible management
Cable tech (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZ8 March 2016
Did work for Black Box as a temp for 10 months at the 2 Intel facilities in Chandler Az.
Management is just an unprofessional group of people.
Temps rate way below any professional courtesy.
PMs are all females with no field experience in the cable industry and run the day to day operations.
Family members are hired and never get layed off or fired.
I had requested meetings with management several times to discuss some field issues and never got a response back.
This whole unprofessional group needs to be disbanded as they are a detriment to the company.
If only Intel knew what was going on?
That's my next step to notify Intel IT Dept and discuss with them exactly what goes on here.
Glad I'm out!
Pros
Cons
unprofessional management
Absolutely No Place for advancement, or anything
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TN26 February 2016
This company has no regard or respect for their employees, low pay, even lower raises, executives are compensated well.....but not the workers. Terrible HR dept, in my years there they had 2 harassment lawsuits, and another possible one coming down the pike. They did not care about people's hygiene, work ethic or anything.
Pros
Kind of flexible
Cons
All of the above
Excellent Contracting company
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX8 December 2015
Very good place to work. The customer comes first and there is a great deal of flexibility allowed to make that happen. Keep projects on time and on budget and the benefits are great.
Good people to work with.
Tech II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA12 November 2015
I had only worked a little under 2 years with them, but it was a great experience. All of the support team were willing and able to help out when needed.
Pros
I was all ways able to contact someone who could help, if i needed it.
Cons
Travel was hard.
Black Box Network Services
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN9 November 2015
In my estimation, I see way too much turn over and not enough personal interaction with the employees from upper management. I believe the lack of concern from management led to the high turn over.
Pros
laid back
Cons
always changing your role
Enjoyed working with sales and implementation team - very positive experience
Enterprise Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GA23 October 2015
Management was very supportive in helping to close new business. Has an excellent team of project managers that work hard at getting complex implementations completed.
Pros
Remote working enviornment, great product training from vendor partners
Cons
Branch offices often competed for same accounts
Room to Grow
Client Liaison (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FL15 September 2015
Started out as inventory assistant and was loving that work. When the company I worked for was bought by Black Box, they trained and moved me to a new position that integrated what I had learned before and layered that with a whole new Customer Service position. Love Black Box.
Cons
The work itself was great and wish there was more of it; management direction was unpredictable
Wireless site survey technician (Former Employee) –  travel; San Mateo, CA1 September 2015
Despite satisfying work assignments and pleasant client work sites, the day to day supervision was mercurial and unpredictable. Apparently contradictory instructions were not unusual.
Pros
travel to assignments; work itself was great; clients are universally friendly
Cons
Incomplete and contradictory task directions; unpredictable future
Great Benefits and Opportunities
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Florida1 August 2015
Black Box has great benefits and job opportunities along with relocation opportunities to numerous locations within CONUS and several accounts overseas.
Pros
Great Benefits
Productive place to work
Switchboard Technician (Current Employee) –  Doha, Qatar27 July 2015
Handle complaints
Change routers and switches
Manage calls coming thru the military base
Met different people
Work at your own pace
Pros
Different Culture
Cons
Extremely hot
You mean nothing to them, you are just a number!
Dispatch (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls13 July 2015
Loved my job for the first year. Begged for more training and always got denied. Slammed with work, couldn't get help that didn't complain they had to. Minus a few co-workers that got me through the day, there was continuous back biteing and set ups for failures. I was working up to 12 hour days sometimes no lunch because I was so behind rarely took a break ever in my time there but got in trouble for being 5 minutes late and everything else because I was physically and mentally exhausted. I got in trouble when I didn't tell them I had to break for the bathroom because they were put out to answer a phone call. On site co-workers got away with murder, the veterans did get several trainings, which will be good for the company because they'll be retiring in the next few years. I am a single mom and I did very well and excelled at my job, my customers loved me all to get let go! No room for advancement or opportunity or training, 2.5 years of my life and one .38 raise in addition to my underpay especially for what my family had to deal with by the time I got home!!! MOST AWFUL EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!!! I'm much happier away from Alcatraz and so is my family!!!
6 month temp as Remote Tech Support
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Remote28 June 2015
Did daily Remote Tech Support on Avaya equipment throughout th US. Assisted on site techs. Monitored and cleared alarms and dispatched techs to site if needed. Was a temp 6 month job until Black Box could get their facility operational in Houston.
Hostile Work environment
Payroll Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TN26 June 2015
It was a nice place to work for a year. They hire you for a position and expect you to do it but they micromanage and will not let you do what they said they were hiring you to do.
Cons
It is a good company but poor on employee retention
NOC - Support - Black Box Network Services (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN20 June 2015
Black Box is a good company that covers most all of the communication disciplines. Voice / Data / Video. If you are able to stay with the company for some time it is mostly a pleasant work environment (or at least the Nashville office was). When negotiating for a position with the company though it is important to get your money on the front end because raises are a rare occurrence. While management is fairly easy to get along with (again - at the Nashville office) there is little in the way of loyalty to the employee. In my time at "The Box" I saw employees that had been there for 30 + years laid off when a short slow down occurred only to be replaced when things picked back up with less knowledgeable and probably less paid individuals. They are a business though so businesses are in business to make money not friends. As long as your okay with less than steady job security then they are a good choice, The severance packages are pretty fair, but I would not pull up stakes and relocate. There just isn't enough job security. I survived to layoff sweeps in my seven years there and was finally swept out on the third round.
Pros
Good Pay & Severance
Cons
Little Job Security
FLEXIABLE WORKING HOURS BUT LACK OF ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITY
A/R (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN15 April 2015
I work in billing department. learned invoicing in Great Plains- accounting software. I get along great with co-workers. I have made many friends. We work together well as a team. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I know my job well and it is not stressful. The hardest part of the job is that not having enough challenge. I feel that I have more to offer to the company with my skill set.
productive place to work
Service Technician II (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IA6 April 2015
great service was company goal
employees were very service oriented
managent worked hard to support field employees
supported cutting edge telecommunications equipment
Great place to work and great people with excellent management in the Columbus Branch
Payroll Consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, Ohio22 March 2015
Corporate Office and management needs some changes. They will spend $100 to save $5 is the message that everyone gets at the branches. However, working for the Midwest Region is great. The Upper management is very skilled and fair. The regions could be so much more profitable if it was not for corporate holding them back. The amount of red tape to get a $25 check to pay a bill is unbelievable. The hardest part of the job was the road blocks that are constantly put up by Corporate. The most enjoyable part of the my job is the constant changing in duties. I am not an assembly line kind of person and that is why BBX is so great. I have a large variety in my work load. The other people are great and my Manager is the best that I have ever had.
Pros
Great Office Space- Free parking
Cons
Corporate holds the branches back

2.7