Black Box Network Services Employee Reviews

Work here at your own Risk (former employee)
Technician (Former Employee) –  United States12 November 2016
I worked here for many years, I did advance in the field but capped out there. Not going to advance unless you're family or have the right last name. Management was unprofessional towards field techs. Most techs weren't given the opportunity to advance period. EMPTY PROMISES from the beginning.
Pros
Meet new people, see some cool places
Cons
Pay, union, benefits, management, life
fast paced
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX19 January 2017
it is a great place to work if you like fast paced, and time dead lines. in a typical day I take calls, answer emails, attend meeting and use the computer for our internal ticking system.
benefits
Absolutely No Place for advancement, or anything
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TN26 February 2016
This company has no regard or respect for their employees, low pay, even lower raises, executives are compensated well.....but not the workers. Terrible HR dept, in my years there they had 2 harassment lawsuits, and another possible one coming down the pike. They did not care about people's hygiene, work ethic or anything.
Pros
Kind of flexible
Cons
All of the above
Productive and fun place to work
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH27 September 2016
A typical day for me was installing telephone and computer cabling and equipment. I enjoyed working with all of the people that i worked with from co workers to management to customers. the hardest part of the job for me was being put in charge on my fist job due to this was the company that i had my start in this business. the most enjoyable part for me was working in various places meeting new people and getting the respect from my co workers or my work ethics.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
N/A
Never trust this company or the management
Sales (Former Employee) –  US11 May 2016
Black Box stock down almost 10% today. This is a trend that will not stop until upper management gets slashed. It will be difficult for the new CEO to see thru the smoke but sales will continue to decline with this leadership in place. You are nothing but a pencil, desk, or nameless employee to this group. From a sales perspective new job seekers should run from this company because you will be lied to, will not get any useful training and be grilled every week on production but offer no help. Also get ready for sales force. It is a great tool but the executives at BB think it can sell. It can't. It is a tool for the BB managers to track their lack of sales. For the shareholders were you told "we have taken action on the mid-enterprise group"? What they mean to say is they fired some of the most talented sales people in the industry, highest producers in the company, but were able to report they took action. Their action is showing in the stock price. Run investors Run.
Pros
One BB is a good idea
Cons
Horrible management at corporate and in the field
terrible management
Cable tech (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZ8 March 2016
Did work for Black Box as a temp for 10 months at the 2 Intel facilities in Chandler Az.
Management is just an unprofessional group of people.
Temps rate way below any professional courtesy.
PMs are all females with no field experience in the cable industry and run the day to day operations.
Family members are hired and never get layed off or fired.
I had requested meetings with management several times to discuss some field issues and never got a response back.
This whole unprofessional group needs to be disbanded as they are a detriment to the company.
If only Intel knew what was going on?
That's my next step to notify Intel IT Dept and discuss with them exactly what goes on here.
Glad I'm out!
Pros
Cons
unprofessional management
Excellent knowledge of telecommunications
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TX17 January 2017
Strong technical workforce with diverse industry knowledge in planning through implementation. Product portfolio allows growth and knowledge of cutting edge technology.
Pros
Stable environment
No Comment
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas26 December 2016
Here is my review for the previous company Black Box Network Service that was located in North Kansas City Missouri. I rather not make any comment at this point in time.
You mean nothing to them, you are just a number!
Dispatch (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls13 July 2015
Loved my job for the first year. Begged for more training and always got denied. Slammed with work, couldn't get help that didn't complain they had to. Minus a few co-workers that got me through the day, there was continuous back biteing and set ups for failures. I was working up to 12 hour days sometimes no lunch because I was so behind rarely took a break ever in my time there but got in trouble for being 5 minutes late and everything else because I was physically and mentally exhausted. I got in trouble when I didn't tell them I had to break for the bathroom because they were put out to answer a phone call. On site co-workers got away with murder, the veterans did get several trainings, which will be good for the company because they'll be retiring in the next few years. I am a single mom and I did very well and excelled at my job, my customers loved me all to get let go! No room for advancement or opportunity or training, 2.5 years of my life and one .38 raise in addition to my underpay especially for what my family had to deal with by the time I got home!!! MOST AWFUL EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!!! I'm much happier away from Alcatraz and so is my family!!!
Excellent Contracting company
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX8 December 2015
Very good place to work. The customer comes first and there is a great deal of flexibility allowed to make that happen. Keep projects on time and on budget and the benefits are great.
It is a good company but poor on employee retention
NOC - Support - Black Box Network Services (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN20 June 2015
Black Box is a good company that covers most all of the communication disciplines. Voice / Data / Video. If you are able to stay with the company for some time it is mostly a pleasant work environment (or at least the Nashville office was). When negotiating for a position with the company though it is important to get your money on the front end because raises are a rare occurrence. While management is fairly easy to get along with (again - at the Nashville office) there is little in the way of loyalty to the employee. In my time at "The Box" I saw employees that had been there for 30 + years laid off when a short slow down occurred only to be replaced when things picked back up with less knowledgeable and probably less paid individuals. They are a business though so businesses are in business to make money not friends. As long as your okay with less than steady job security then they are a good choice, The severance packages are pretty fair, but I would not pull up stakes and relocate. There just isn't enough job security. I survived to layoff sweeps in my seven years there and was finally swept out on the third round.
Pros
Good Pay & Severance
Cons
Little Job Security
Face paced invironment
Project Management (Current Employee) –  New Ipswich, NH29 January 2015
My typical day at work requires me to quote projects, once awarded i handle all aspects of the job. I would take care of hiring vendors, taking care of all invoicing and finances including billing.
As a project manager for Black Box I have learned quite a bit. My upper management is superior and very skill set. My co-workers are the best, they will drop what they are doing to help me if needed. The hardest part of my job would be if i am away from my family a month at a time+. The most I enjoy about my job is the benefits, personel, and most of all my customers.
Pros
customer relations
Cons
lack of home time
Large, global integrator with excellent products and services and poor leadership.
General Manager, South Central/Wis (Former Employee) –  Chicago18 July 2012
As a GM of a Branch, I was responsible for an entire territory of people and accounts. Company is very well-known for "flavor of the month" business planning and puts revenue/profits in-front of people. Company has no formal performance planning and has not given performance based raises for years. Very difficult environment to work in given the overall lack of direction and leadership from corporate who seems more interested in merging dissimilar companies to drive a missed revenue number then in driving mergers and acquisitions that drive shareholder value. Awful communications. No formal sales leader programs. Several high level VP's are placed in the role of "sales leader" having never been a sales leader or a sales person.

In short, Black Box is a "hollywood set" in that everything looks great until the get behind the doors and there's nothing there.....My worst assignment in a 30 year career.
Pros
good products
Cons
executive leadership totally out of touch with the field and it's customers, in 7 years i saw the ceo in the field about 3 times.
Logistic Duties
Logistic Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GA5 November 2013
Purchase material for contractor’s onsite, receive shipments, return material (RMA), return excess material and spares to the government with transmittals, Track shipments, log inventory, obtain serial numbers for the warranty list and deliver material to contractors.
Manage the lay down yard and storage units allowing access to contractors, organizing material, receiving shipments and a using a Forklift or Track hoe to unload equipment.
Coordinating and escorting Contractors, Vendors and Government personnel into buildings.
Schedule Network cutovers for contractors and the NEC.
Pros
Wonderful People to work with and work for. Great Benefits.
Cons
Contract work.
Just say interesting.
Site Technician (Former Employee) –  VA18 July 2013
Loved the job and the daily challenges with working on the NEC product. I learned a lot over the years I worked there at Black Box Network Services. Worked with some great Black Box employees over the years.

As a site tech each year you have to constantly wonder if the contract will be renewed or not. After being there as long as I was there was no real advancement with out moving (maybe some possibilities then) and took several years before a pay increase. As in any job there are pros and cons. Benefits were good.
Black Box is a very strong company with great benefits and opportunities
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN20 September 2012
I was very impressed with how Black Box conducts there business and services. All top rate and leading edge technology used. They have a very modern and high impact approach to how they handle day to day work loads and meetings. They do not micro manage, but instead expect there employees to demonstrate there skills and show there ability to be affective and responsible in the the field.
Pros
great pay and benifits, opportunities for training and schooling
Cons
long road trips and sometimes undesirable hours of operation
Great Benefits and Opportunities
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Florida1 August 2015
Black Box has great benefits and job opportunities along with relocation opportunities to numerous locations within CONUS and several accounts overseas.
Pros
Great Benefits
Your experience at Blackbox will only be as good as your project manager.
Network Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Various locations10 October 2014
Blackbox has some good Project Managers and they have some awful ones. Pity you if you get one of the latter. The assignments were OK. Colleagues were pretty cool.
Pros
A lot of travel................... could be a Con for some
Cons
Pay was below industry standards, No place for advancement, Some people have not gotten a raise in YEARS, No Cost of Living, Nothing.
Enjoyed working with sales and implementation team - very positive experience
Enterprise Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GA23 October 2015
Management was very supportive in helping to close new business. Has an excellent team of project managers that work hard at getting complex implementations completed.
Pros
Remote working enviornment, great product training from vendor partners
Cons
Branch offices often competed for same accounts
No place for advancement unless you are the chosen one
Sr Telecommunications Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York10 September 2014
Crony filled and a lot of politics. They use the corporate veil to protect their biases. Co-workers are petty and undermining. Work is not hard just the people. The most enjoyable part of the job is customer satisfaction
Pros
decent benifits

2.8