Black Box Network Services Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Absolutely No Place for advancement, or anything
Accounting (Former Employee), Murfreesboro, TNFebruary 26, 2016
Pros: Kind of flexible
Cons: All of the above
This company has no regard or respect for their employees, low pay, even lower raises, executives are compensated well.....but not the workers. Terrible HR dept, in my years there they had 2 harassment lawsuits, and another possible one coming down the pike. They did not care about people's hygiene, work ethic or anything.
terrible management
Cable tech (Former Employee), Chandler, AZMarch 8, 2016
Pros: none
Cons: unprofessional management
Did work for Black Box as a temp for 10 months at the 2 Intel facilities in Chandler Az.
Management is just an unprofessional group of people.
Temps rate way below any professional courtesy.
PMs are all females with no field experience in the cable industry and run the day to day operations.
Family members are hired and never get layed off or fired.
I had requested meetings with management several times to discuss some field issues and never got a response back.
This whole unprofessional group needs to be disbanded as they are a detriment to the company.
If only Intel knew what was going on?
That's my next step to notify Intel IT Dept and discuss with them exactly what goes on here.
Glad I'm out!
Excellent Contracting company
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 8, 2015
Very good place to work. The customer comes first and there is a great deal of flexibility allowed to make that happen. Keep projects on time and on budget and the benefits are great.
You mean nothing to them, you are just a number!
Dispatch (Former Employee), Idaho FallsJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Nothing
Cons: Everything
Loved my job for the first year. Begged for more training and always got denied. Slammed with work, couldn't get help that didn't complain they had to. Minus a few co-workers that got me through the day, there was continuous back biteing and set ups for failures. I was working up to 12 hour days sometimes no lunch because I was so behind rarely took a break ever in my time there but got in trouble for being 5 minutes late and everything else because I was physically and mentally exhausted. I got in trouble when I didn't tell them I had to break for the bathroom because they were put out to answer a phone call. On site co-workers got away with murder, the veterans did get several trainings, which will be good for the company because they'll be retiring in the next few years. I am a single mom and I did very well and excelled at my job, my customers loved me all to get let go! No room for advancement or opportunity or training, 2.5 years of my life and one .38 raise in addition to my underpay especially for what my family had to deal with by the time I got home!!! MOST AWFUL EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!!! I'm much happier away from Alcatraz and so is my family!!!
It is a good company but poor on employee retention
NOC - Support - Black Box Network Services (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJune 20, 2015
Pros: Good Pay & Severance
Cons: Little Job Security
Black Box is a good company that covers most all of the communication disciplines. Voice / Data / Video. If you are able to stay with the company for some time it is mostly a pleasant work environment (or at least the Nashville office was). When negotiating for a position with the company though it is important to get your money on the front end because raises are a rare occurrence. While management is fairly easy to get along with (again - at the Nashville office) there is little in the way of loyalty to the employee. In my time at "The Box" I saw employees that had been there for 30 + years laid off when a short slow down occurred only to be replaced when things picked back up with less knowledgeable and probably less paid individuals. They are a business though so businesses are in business to make money not friends. As long as your okay with less than steady job security then they are a good choice, The severance packages are pretty fair, but I would not pull up stakes and relocate. There just isn't enough job security. I survived to layoff sweeps in my seven years there and was finally swept out on the third round.
Great Benefits and Opportunities
Project Manager (Current Employee), FloridaAugust 1, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits
Black Box has great benefits and job opportunities along with relocation opportunities to numerous locations within CONUS and several accounts overseas.
Enjoyed working with sales and implementation team - very positive experience
Enterprise Account Manager (Former Employee), Johns Creek, GAOctober 23, 2015
Pros: Remote working enviornment, great product training from vendor partners
Cons: Branch offices often competed for same accounts
Management was very supportive in helping to close new business. Has an excellent team of project managers that work hard at getting complex implementations completed.
Face paced invironment
Project Management (Current Employee), New Ipswich, NHJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: customer relations
Cons: lack of home time
My typical day at work requires me to quote projects, once awarded i handle all aspects of the job. I would take care of hiring vendors, taking care of all invoicing and finances including billing.
As a project manager for Black Box I have learned quite a bit. My upper management is superior and very skill set. My co-workers are the best, they will drop what they are doing to help me if needed. The hardest part of my job would be if i am away from my family a month at a time+. The most I enjoy about my job is the benefits, personel, and most of all my customers.
Black Box Network Services
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 9, 2015
Pros: laid back
Cons: always changing your role
In my estimation, I see way too much turn over and not enough personal interaction with the employees from upper management. I believe the lack of concern from management led to the high turn over.
Good people to work with.
Tech II (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 12, 2015
Pros: I was all ways able to contact someone who could help, if i needed it.
Cons: Travel was hard.
I had only worked a little under 2 years with them, but it was a great experience. All of the support team were willing and able to help out when needed.
Your experience at Blackbox will only be as good as your project manager.
Network Field Engineer (Current Employee), Various locationsOctober 10, 2014
Pros: a lot of travel................... could be a con for some
Cons: pay was below industry standards, no place for advancement, some people have not gotten a raise in years, no cost of living, nothing.
Blackbox has some good Project Managers and they have some awful ones. Pity you if you get one of the latter. The assignments were OK. Colleagues were pretty cool.
Large, global integrator with excellent products and services and poor leadership.
General Manager, South Central/Wis (Former Employee), ChicagoJuly 18, 2012
Pros: good products
Cons: executive leadership totally out of touch with the field and it's customers, in 7 years i saw the ceo in the field about 3 times.
As a GM of a Branch, I was responsible for an entire territory of people and accounts. Company is very well-known for "flavor of the month" business planning and puts revenue/profits in-front of people. Company has no formal performance planning and has not given performance based raises for years. Very difficult environment to work in given the overall lack of direction and leadership from corporate who seems more interested in merging dissimilar companies to drive a missed revenue number then in driving mergers and acquisitions that drive shareholder value. Awful communications. No formal sales leader programs. Several high level VP's are placed in the role of "sales leader" having never been a sales leader or a sales person.

In short, Black Box is a "hollywood set" in that everything looks great until the get behind the doors and there's nothing there.....My worst assignment in a 30 year career.
The work itself was great and wish there was more of it; management direction was unpredictable
Wireless site survey technician (Former Employee), travel; San Mateo, CASeptember 1, 2015
Pros: travel to assignments; work itself was great; clients are universally friendly
Cons: Incomplete and contradictory task directions; unpredictable future
Despite satisfying work assignments and pleasant client work sites, the day to day supervision was mercurial and unpredictable. Apparently contradictory instructions were not unusual.
Logistic Duties
Logistic Manager (Current Employee), Fort Stewart, GANovember 5, 2013
Pros: wonderful people to work with and work for. great benefits.
Cons: contract work.
Purchase material for contractor’s onsite, receive shipments, return material (RMA), return excess material and spares to the government with transmittals, Track shipments, log inventory, obtain serial numbers for the warranty list and deliver material to contractors.
Manage the lay down yard and storage units allowing access to contractors, organizing material, receiving shipments and a using a Forklift or Track hoe to unload equipment.
Coordinating and escorting Contractors, Vendors and Government personnel into buildings.
Schedule Network cutovers for contractors and the NEC.
Just say interesting.
Site Technician (Former Employee), VAJuly 18, 2013
Loved the job and the daily challenges with working on the NEC product. I learned a lot over the years I worked there at Black Box Network Services. Worked with some great Black Box employees over the years.

As a site tech each year you have to constantly wonder if the contract will be renewed or not. After being there as long as I was there was no real advancement with out moving (maybe some possibilities then) and took several years before a pay increase. As in any job there are pros and cons. Benefits were good.
Black Box is a very strong company with great benefits and opportunities
Field Engineer (Current Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 20, 2012
Pros: great pay and benifits, opportunities for training and schooling
Cons: long road trips and sometimes undesirable hours of operation
I was very impressed with how Black Box conducts there business and services. All top rate and leading edge technology used. They have a very modern and high impact approach to how they handle day to day work loads and meetings. They do not micro manage, but instead expect there employees to demonstrate there skills and show there ability to be affective and responsible in the the field.
Room to Grow
Client Liaison (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: Everything
Cons: None
Started out as inventory assistant and was loving that work. When the company I worked for was bought by Black Box, they trained and moved me to a new position that integrated what I had learned before and layered that with a whole new Customer Service position. Love Black Box.
No place for advancement unless you are the chosen one
Sr Telecommunications Engineer (Current Employee), New YorkSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: decent benifits
Crony filled and a lot of politics. They use the corporate veil to protect their biases. Co-workers are petty and undermining. Work is not hard just the people. The most enjoyable part of the job is customer satisfaction
Great place to work and great people with excellent management in the Columbus Branch
Payroll Consultant (Current Employee), Columbus, OhioMarch 22, 2015
Pros: great office space- free parking
Cons: corporate holds the branches back
Corporate Office and management needs some changes. They will spend $100 to save $5 is the message that everyone gets at the branches. However, working for the Midwest Region is great. The Upper management is very skilled and fair. The regions could be so much more profitable if it was not for corporate holding them back. The amount of red tape to get a $25 check to pay a bill is unbelievable. The hardest part of the job was the road blocks that are constantly put up by Corporate. The most enjoyable part of the my job is the constant changing in duties. I am not an assembly line kind of person and that is why BBX is so great. I have a large variety in my work load. The other people are great and my Manager is the best that I have ever had.
Productive place to work
Switchboard Technician (Current Employee), Doha, QatarJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Different Culture
Cons: Extremely hot
Handle complaints
Change routers and switches
Manage calls coming thru the military base
Met different people