Black & Veatch Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent company with a wide variety of projects
Civil Engineer (Current Employee), Columbia, MDNovember 23, 2015
Pros: Mobile work stations, ability to work from home or other offices
Cons: Horrible benefits
Great company with a lot of new work coming in. Some of the clients, however, make the schedules pretty aggressive, causing some frantic deadlines. Good co-workers with good attitudes and strong work ethics. The size of the company allows employees to feel safe during lull periods, as well as a lot of support during the busy times (extra support staff). A lot of older employees with a lot of knowledge teaches the younger employees. With the large amount of older employees, room for advancement is present
Enjoyable work place and friendly colleges
Document Controller (Current Employee), Reading, ENGOctober 7, 2013
Pros: close to home
Cons: part time
Daily I check my emails and the inbox where all the work is to work on. My day as Document Controller is to work from the oldest date requests. I have to save drawings and documentation to our filing system (Cygnet) and issue to our client. Most of the drawings we receive from Sub-contractors I have to receipt, record and issue to the project teams so that the design team are aware of changes and changes to make an issue back for correction.
I enjoyable part of my job is that it is varied and always learning and willing to learn more.
Large global company with new stratagies to achieve by 2020
Senior Human Resources Associate (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSSeptember 7, 2015
I was part of the HR On-boarding Team with continually high new hire numbers and workload. I had a great team and loved my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was the never ending increase of duties assigned. New HR Associates were always replace, their duties were divided among the current team members. I enjoyed that our duties were very specialized, I learned a huge amount about the Background Investigations, I-9 and Visa processes and government requirements.
Well-Rounded and Visible
Project Support Assistant (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: new opportunities, growth, variety of work
As a Project Support Assistant, visibility in the company is high. I assist anywhere from high level executives and department managers as well as project managers and engineers on a daily basis. Opportunities to train and learn on the job allows for personal and professional growth. A typical day includes working on travel arrangements, editing reports, word processing and formatting, proofreading, engineering specifications, scheduling meetings and special events, assisting with charitable events, producing correspondence, managing calendars and more.
fast pace assignment with bbq
Document Control Specialist/Autocad Technician (Former Employee), Stratford, CTOctober 6, 2014
Pros: lots to learn, great people
Cons: temp position
A typical day was opening up the office and preparing all the documentation packages for team members and contractors. They were either picked up each morning or had to be delivered.

Keep track of history documents and make sure everyone involved has the most current information at all times. If changes occur make sure all involved parties know and get them the current data.
Decent place to work, but don't expect to grow
Engineering Technician (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSApril 17, 2014
I was excited to be hired by B&V, but soon after I started working there, my view of the company was tarnished. They claim that you're in control of your career and they give the impression that you'll be able to move positions in order to advance your career. However, that was not my experience, nor the experience of any of my collegues that didn't want to follow the line straight up their title (ie. going from Engineer III to IV, etc.).
Progressive Company, good work environment
Site Acquisition Manager (Former Employee), Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: worked both in office setting and virtual.
Cons: sometimes highly stressful due to client's tight time lines.
Great company to work for, very production oriented and embraced team work.

Co-workers were fantastic to work with and worked in a team atmosphere.

Enjoyed the challenges that job offered.

Training was top notch.

Tight time lines were required to meet client's expectations.

Was given additional responsibility and the opportunity to learn new skills.
Contract position
Consultant to AT&T Mobility (Former Employee), Honolulu,HIAugust 31, 2012
Pros: great position
Cons: perminate job had to be posted internal prior to consuderation of my hiring.
Six month contract to reestablish AT&T Mobility Real Estate and Construction Department that had been vacated for 18 monthes due to slow economy and need for new sites.

Respaonsable for Wireless antenna site leasing and construction. Established bidding process, jurisdiction planning, permitting and lease negotiations.

Completed process and transfered to employee transfer from New Mexico AT&T Division.
Commissioning and Start up Engineer
Supervisor Operations and Start-up (Former Employee), AfghanistanJuly 12, 2012
Pros: fooding, lodging, transportation was free
Cons: health card and other lot of opportunities.
I have worked in Black & Veatch in kabul 100 MW power plant in Afghanistan which was USAID project. I have prepared a plan how to install engines, alternators, coupling and all other critical parts of the engine. I did the alignment of alternator with the engine of all 18 engines. It was a very challenging job for me'.
B&V
Digital Content Specialist, (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSSeptember 4, 2015
Pros: Flexibility with hours, ability to work from home if needed.
Cons: Management communication methods weren't the best.
Fun place to work if you have good co-workers. I did personally, I got along with basically all my team members. Management seemed a bit removed and unaware of things happening until they asked about it. Generation gaps made communicating slightly difficult.
Hard Work and long hours and productive
Senior Quality Management Administrator (Former Employee), Ogies, MPSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: awards
Cons: strikes
Working for B&V fo almost six years was the most exiting and adventures part of my career life. People is multi racial and I loved working with them and experience how the view life and work. My management was always helpfull and I had a good relationship with them. Loved going on site and speak to labour regarding safety and communicate with them on a daily basis.
Mangement
Project Controls Associate (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: company events
Cons: mangement hire on friend basis not willing to let employees grow
Some of Mangement Lack Soft Skills. Micromangement is the first encounter of bad mangement. If you enter the company as a contractor mangement is so afraid of there job it makes it hard for you to be hired in as a full time permanent employee if your opinion is voided or ideas on how to change a process
Staying focused and enjoy what you do
Construction Superintendent (Current Employee), South AfricaSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: None
Learning and sharing knowledge, treat you fellow workers in a way that you would like to be treated, come to grips of understanding the managers expectations and deliver above their expectations,keep team work together and treat each other fairly, setting a goal and finishing way ahead of your goal date. I honestly enjoy challenges makes my job enjoyable.
BLACK & VEATCH HAS A GREAT CULTURE, ITS LIKE HOME AT WORK.
CONSTRUCTION SUPERINTENDENT (CG) (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPJuly 31, 2015
A TYPICAL DAY IS BASICALY DIFFERENT FROM THE PREVIOUS, SINCE EVERY DAY WE PLAN TO COME UP WITH BETTER WAYS TO DO THE JOB. STICKING TO MY DAILY PLAN IS IMPORTANT. I MIGHT HAVE 2-7 INSPECTIONS BUT THATS THE NORM AND TRY TO MITIGATE DELAYS AND KEEP THE CLIENT HAPPY.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Project Support Manager (Current Employee), Walnut Creek, CADecember 5, 2013
Pros: able to climb in the company
Responsible for all aspects of the project support staffing resources for majority of projects in a large division/sector, including recruiting, scheduling, supervising, training, mentoring, goal setting, and performance assessment.

Enjoy working with Management, Lead Construction Managers, Field Construction Managers and General Contractors to work towards a goal. Doing Quality and Completing the Projects before the deadline.
Decent job with bad management
Sr Project Accountant (Former Employee), Kandahār, KANSeptember 1, 2015
Pros: Pay and time off was good
Cons: Management was criminal
The management took bribes on a State Dept project in Afghanistan. I reported fraud and had some success there, unfortunately one would think that after i cleaned the place up that I would be retained beyond just one project, good companies do that but Black and Veatch is not a good company.
Bad Leadership
Manager (Former Employee), San DiegoOctober 19, 2014
The Director for the turf contract has no back bone. He has his favorites and let them make all the decision for him. They hire office help based on looks and not what the company needs. The company is from Kansas and they don't monitor the local office very closely. The Market Managers lead by yelling and threats. They are constantly yelling and cussing at employees.
Great place to work but no stability
Project Controls Associate (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSDecember 20, 2015
Pros: great teamwork atmosphere and pay for performance
Cons: they don't retain existing talent at project completion
I loved working at Black & Veatch. However, employment is project based and they do little to place existing employees on new projects. I really liked my job and working for Black & Veatch. You would think that if they valued existing talent they would take steps to retain it.
Highly diverse and interesting working environment, strong technical professionals with different backgrounds. I was honored to work with them.
Senior QA/QC Engineer (Former Employee), Kabul, AfghanistanNovember 14, 2014
It was a competitive project and schedule accountability for construction services and to supply electricity to the Afghan Gov within very limited time. The project was indeed a challenge in that region. A very complex EPC project that was a great experience in my life.
Black & Veatch
Personal Assistant to MD & Commercial Director (Former Employee), RedhillMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Great working environment
Cons: None that I care to mention
Great varied role where I learnt a lot about health & safety within the construction industry. Whilst a pressured environment to be in the people were really friendly and lovely.

Preparing agenda, minute taking and circulating monthly board packs had it challenges.