Black & Veatch

Black & Veatch Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Project Support Manager (Current Employee), Walnut Creek, CADecember 5, 2013
Pros: able to climb in the company
Responsible for all aspects of the project support staffing resources for majority of projects in a large division/sector, including recruiting, scheduling, supervising, training, mentoring, goal setting, and performance assessment.

Enjoy working with Management, Lead Construction Managers, Field Construction Managers and General Contractors to work – more... towards a goal. Doing Quality and Completing the Projects before the deadline. – less
productive good facilities
Ganger (Former Employee), ENGNovember 26, 2013
Pros: good training regime
Cons: working away from home
organised work culture.
pleasant work environment.
good team of men to work with.
An okay company
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSNovember 12, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule
An okay company that would work well for someone looking to settle into a professional career with limited vertical growth. Work load fluctuation is very unpredictable. Company is more of a follower than a leader. However, the flexible work schedule, on-site workout facility, and other employee amenities are nice perks.
Enjoyable work place and friendly colleges
Document Controller (Current Employee), Reading, ENGOctober 7, 2013
Pros: close to home
Cons: part time
Daily I check my emails and the inbox where all the work is to work on. My day as Document Controller is to work from the oldest date requests. I have to save drawings and documentation to our filing system (Cygnet) and issue to our client. Most of the drawings we receive from Sub-contractors I have to receipt, record and issue to the project teams – more... so that the design team are aware of changes and changes to make an issue back for correction.
I enjoyable part of my job is that it is varied and always learning and willing to learn more. – less
Work Place
Lead Process Designer (Former Employee), Houston TxSeptember 26, 2013
The company have's a flex time work week. We meet once a week on projects. Management works very close with the employe's to make everybody comfortable.
summary
My role as a pipefitter (Former Employee), durhamSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: job near home
Cons: long hours
my typical day at work was as supervisor off pipe section and laying pipes and fitting pipes also driving heavy plant on a daily basis I learned team work is the main aspect of the job but can also work alone
Not fun place to work
Resident Construction Inspector (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYAugust 30, 2013
Never enough time to do the real work required of an engineer. Too many company requests and directives. Not much support from the company. The BV supplied computer was a nightmare as there was no internet cable only an undependable air card. Never had printer software installed on the BV laptop so you needed to use a flash drive on PRINTER. JOB SITE – more... DID NOT HAVE WORKING PHONES ...SO YOU Had to use your cell phone to get things done. Never had my own desk. Pop quiz drug screenings with two day notices. The home office in Kansas had no idea what a hardship it was to take the screening in a different part of Manhattan and then walk back to your job site and still do an entire days work. Not a friendly place to work. Typical day: prepare daily report written in a log book and also electronically, same with logs , Worked in a large trailer and outdoors. GC never gave a heads-up a day in advance on equipment and material deliveries coming onsite and leaving the site...all of which needed to be tracked and photographed. The photos needed to be labeled with one of 2 contract #'s, location and date plus a description. Some people worked much harder than others as this was a joint venture job between 3 companies. Inspections for work done by several contractors....none of which advised the construction manager they would be on site or they were on site. Lack of control! The hardest part of the job was being AT ALL Places at all times and still doing the paper work. This was a 2man job but the client did not want to spend the money. The only joy was taking a required 1/2 hour for lunch ...so 8hr pay for being there 8 1/2 hours. Even on OT it was straight pay and I worked thru lunch most of the time. Safety classes once a month with lunch thrown in and a certificate a couple of weeks later. The GC hated the CM.
a couple of the co-workers were good people.....but most are still engineers with no personality

Bottom line: you are a tool in a tool drawer.. – less
Constantly on the move outside and preparing many daily reports and logs
Resident Senior Construction Inspector 4 (Former Employee), Manhattan, NY DEP Shafts 26B & 25BJuly 27, 2013
Pros: not bored
Cons: can't leave the job site to get lunch
Same as review summary. Dealing with GCs and their subcontractors to document project with digital photography. Review contract documents and sahop drawings for contract compliance by the GC and their subcontractors.
very good company to work for
Pros: very flexible and work and family life balance
allows the employees to progress, ie study scopes and promotions
Challenging place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee), Walnut Creek, CAJuly 8, 2013
:Provided Project Management,/Construction Management &Site acquisition services to some of the world’s largest telecommunication providers. Site Location/Identification, Zoning, Lease Negotiations, Legal, Language Drafting, Lease Execution, Competitive Vertical Real Estate Analysis (audits), and Building Permit Expediting.
Worst place I have ever worked.
Accountant (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSJune 18, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
There is little to no direction on everything, lack of system trainings, and management is terrible and absent from work regularly. Co-workers are nice but rightfully stressed, turn over rate is by far the worst I've seen in all my years working at different companies. Individuals who is good at what they do, will leave at the first chance they get – more... to work elsewhere and new employees rarely last through the first 6 months because management is just that horrible (no clear guidance, managerial skills, and leadership). Management takes no fault in their own mess ups and are the first to put the blame on the little guys and fire them. Work is provided with no clear direction or guidance. Run, do not walk away from this company. You will regret working for this company. – less
Run!
Recruiter (Current Employee), AtlantaMay 29, 2013
Pros: friendly employees, wages, environment
Cons: management, workload, office is ugly, lack of direction, no vision, nor tools provided to do work that's needed, stress level
Black & Veatch (Overland Contracting) has lots of solid people working within the organization but everyone is way overworked, underpaid, no clear vision, nor are the plans in place to get to where they need to be. Each function could add at least 4 other people for the workload they currently have and wonder why people are stressed or miss things.

Not – more... for the creative, think outside of the box employees. New ideas are squashed and what makes it worse is the mother ship, Black & Veatch who uses old systems, old ways of thinking about problems and doesn't allow for creativity in solving problems or processes.

Not the place for the faint of heart!!! – less
the worst company to work for
Project Engineer (Former Employee), CAMay 23, 2013
the worst company to work for, the management have no knowledge about their fields.
Worked for Black & Veatch as a non-employee.
Contract Position (Former Employee), Burr Ridge, ILMay 10, 2013
Pros: learning new skills; computer programs.
Cons: temporary position so there were no benefits.
A typical day at work was sitting in front of a computer and pulling legal documents from several different databases owned by the client contracted with Black & Veatch. Then saving and renaming all pertinent information in a separate database for the client's legal department to review.
I learned about leases, subleases, engineering documentation as – more... well as state and federal regulatory protocol.
The hardest part of this job was learning the computer programs but after the first week it was fine. It was easier than I thought it would be. – less
Limited upper management support
Lead Construction Manager (Current Employee), Columbus, OHApril 23, 2013
Pros: reasonable pay / good benefits
Cons: limited support / resources from management
Typical large company, all about upper management, limited support for the back bone workers. My co-workers were a team with a common goal, "to deliver the best product possible to the client" The constant policy changes made for a lot of extra work.
Fast pace work environment
Site Acquisition Manager (Current Employee), Englewood, ColoradoApril 21, 2013
Pros: can work remote.
Black and Veatch helped me grow professionally as a Manager. Useful on-going training and one-on-one meetings with Management helps me identify quickly the areas of concern and see the success stories.
I learned a lot and what I learned was from the best turf at Black & Veatch.
Engineering Technician 1 (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSApril 5, 2013
The job was a high pace and I was constantly learning everyday. Very accomidating with work schedule. Plenty of overtime was given and usually required. Management and co-workers were very easy to get along with.
Horrible
Site acquisition (Former Employee), KansasMarch 28, 2013
Pros: some decent co workers who are stressed beyond belief
Cons: turn over rate, management, dysfunction, no direction, pay, benefits, in general their telecom division
Little to no direction on everything, management is terrible and absent from work regularly, co workers are decent but rightfully stressed, turn over rate is by far the worst I've seen in all my years of working for different companies. Everyone that is good at what they do leaves the first chance they get to work elsewhere, and new employees rarely – more... last through the first 6 months because management is just that terrible. Management takes no fault in their mess ups and are the first to put the blame on the little guys and then fire them. No one, even management has worked for BV telecom for more than 5 years. Run do not walk away from this company, and if they want to hire you as a contract employee I'd say no and wait for something else....you won't regret not working for this company. – less

April 4, 2013

There seems to be a trend to these comments for the wireless group. Natural selection is worst than karma.

TEAM/FAMILY ORIENTED - Pillar in the Community
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMarch 26, 2013
Pros: home and work balance, great benefits
Outstanding Company to work for. Much room for advancement opporttunities. Home and Work balance is GREAT!!! Treated as an individual and as an adult. Would recommend B&V!!!!

About Black & Veatch

One of the US's largest private companies, Black & Veatch (BV) is a leading global engineering, consulting, and construction firm – Read more

Black & Veatch Photos