Black & Veatch

Black & Veatch Employee Reviews

Decent Co
Quality Management (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 23, 2016
Take the good with the bad. The workers are great. Most are professional and friendly. The management varies. HR management is terrible.
Great place to work, wonderful staff to work with, the office is very professional.
Project Closeout Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 1, 2015
Have worked her for many years and enjoy all the people that I work with. Never a problem with the co workers. Its exciting and new sititutions can happen that may need resolved. Work closely with AT&T Project Managers
Pros
Benifits, Work hours and Work days
Cons
No Overtime
Black & Veatch / Project Associate
Project Associate (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORJanuary 5, 2016
Support Black & Veatch's fast-paced Energy division team to facilitate efficient and effective project delivery. The position encompasses administration, project tracking duties, composing client correspondence, maintaining contact lists, proofreading / editing client presentations and deliverables, and other tasks as assigned.
Great company to work for
Civil Engineer (Project Engineer) (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 18, 2015
B&V promotes a great work environment. I had great managers that knew how to get everybody to work well and still make us love them. I loved the family culture cultivated by the company and I had absolutely no complains about it at all.
Good company that takes care of valued employees
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 3, 2015
Worked for them in the field for 17 years. They have done me right most of the time and have great benefits. Growing and things are changing.
Horrible
Site acquisition (Former Employee) –  KansasMarch 28, 2013
Little to no direction on everything, management is terrible and absent from work regularly, co workers are decent but rightfully stressed, turn over rate is by far the worst I've seen in all my years of working for different companies. Everyone that is good at what they do leaves the first chance they get to work elsewhere, and new employees rarely last through the first 6 months because management is just that terrible. Management takes no fault in their mess ups and are the first to put the blame on the little guys and then fire them. No one, even management has worked for BV telecom for more than 5 years. Run do not walk away from this company, and if they want to hire you as a contract employee I'd say no and wait for something else....you won't regret not working for this company.
Pros
some decent co workers who are stressed beyond belief
Cons
turn over rate, management, dysfunction, no direction, pay, benefits, in general their telecom division

Comment – April 4, 2013

There seems to be a trend to these comments for the wireless group. Natural selection is worst than karma.

Medical Benefits and 401K was a plus
Closeout Administrator - SD/LV Telecom Division (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 18, 2016
I learned a lot about closing contract and the Telecommunication Industry.

Black & Veatch have been in business for several years; a very professional company to work for.
Excellent Co-workers
Project Manager - LTE (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAJanuary 28, 2015
Typical day was intense and satisfying full of work with a wide variety of issues to deal with daily.

The most important and influential part of the position were the co-workers that I had and the relationships I established while working there.
Pros
lots of free lunches / flexible work schedule
Cons
compensation / upper management
Bay Area
Construction Manager - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAFebruary 13, 2016
Multiple projects in the bay area were communicated as to the urgency of each site. Support from company was as expected. Overall experience was good.
Challenging and rewarding
Senior Project Controls Analyst (Current Employee) –  JohannesburgJune 18, 2015
Most days involve the application of advanced project controls techniques and analyses in support of the client’s outage management projects and in providing a transfer of skill and knowledge in the fields of project management, outage planning and scheduling. Sometimes I work autonomously but mostly as part of a small dedicated team in the field, which is fully supported by our management team based in Johannesburg. The hardest part of the job is managing the on site culture in respect of trying to improve procedures and processes to deliver more effective and efficient outcomes to the clients objectives. It is extremely satisfying when this is achieved.
Worked for Black & Veatch as a non-employee.
Contract Position (Former Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILMay 10, 2013
A typical day at work was sitting in front of a computer and pulling legal documents from several different databases owned by the client contracted with Black & Veatch. Then saving and renaming all pertinent information in a separate database for the client's legal department to review.
I learned about leases, subleases, engineering documentation as well as state and federal regulatory protocol.
The hardest part of this job was learning the computer programs but after the first week it was fine. It was easier than I thought it would be.
Pros
learning new skills; computer programs.
Cons
temporary position so there were no benefits.
B&V
Digital Content Specialist, (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 4, 2015
Fun place to work if you have good co-workers. I did personally, I got along with basically all my team members. Management seemed a bit removed and unaware of things happening until they asked about it. Generation gaps made communicating slightly difficult.
Pros
Flexibility with hours, ability to work from home if needed.
Cons
Management communication methods weren't the best.
Large global company with new stratagies to achieve by 2020
Senior Human Resources Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 7, 2015
I was part of the HR On-boarding Team with continually high new hire numbers and workload. I had a great team and loved my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was the never ending increase of duties assigned. New HR Associates were always replace, their duties were divided among the current team members. I enjoyed that our duties were very specialized, I learned a huge amount about the Background Investigations, I-9 and Visa processes and government requirements.
Decent job with bad management
Sr Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kandahār, KANSeptember 1, 2015
The management took bribes on a State Dept project in Afghanistan. I reported fraud and had some success there, unfortunately one would think that after i cleaned the place up that I would be retained beyond just one project, good companies do that but Black and Veatch is not a good company.
Pros
Pay and time off was good
Cons
Management was criminal
Staying focused and enjoy what you do
Construction Superintendent (Current Employee) –  South AfricaSeptember 23, 2015
Learning and sharing knowledge, treat you fellow workers in a way that you would like to be treated, come to grips of understanding the managers expectations and deliver above their expectations,keep team work together and treat each other fairly, setting a goal and finishing way ahead of your goal date. I honestly enjoy challenges makes my job enjoyable.
Love this job
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 15, 2015
I have always wanted to work for Black and Veach since I was in highschool.

On a daily basis, I would get to work and look for projects to start working on. Once I have a site I would look over the site and check if there were and redlines. If there were no redlines I would review the site to check for any errors that I could find. Next was pushing the site to the next phase and making sure it goes through all its checks so the site could go out on that day.

Everyone that I work with is great. From the moment I was hired, people provided me with assistance without hesitation. No one was ever frustrated with me when I asked questions, and they even taught me things for future problems that could occur. I love my work environment and the people make it that much better.
Pros
Great hours, great staff, great enviornment
Cons
None so far
Lack of direction and displine
Owners Representative over New Construction (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXNovember 4, 2015
Typical Corporation to big and lost the plot.. Talks a very good game but no action. Evaluation are poor every year. Ive been with Black & Veatch a long time mabe my expectation were to high..
Wireless Telecom Project Coordinator
Telecom Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 23, 2015
With a combination of instinct, integrity, trustworthiness, and an openness to learn anything new in any project I’m assigned to. I work hard to complete various assignments and do so with the utmost enthusiasm. I am goal oriented as well as being a team player. I am always punctual, as well as being easygoing and enjoy smiling and laughing. I have demonstrated a strong desire for advancement in the wireless telecommunication arena as well as to be always professional and attentive. Diligent in studying for advancing certifications, attention to detail, devoted to work, but being a real people person. I am well organized, and I keep a sharp eye on the bottom line. I realize too that good customer relations are what make or break a relationship with vendors and clients. I suppose doing well in a career is easy if you are, driven in equal measure by both quality and efficiency with a strong desire to learn and grow further into the future.
Pros
enthusiasum to learn new technologies as well as new business procedures.
Corporate Cliche
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 7, 2015
You know all the horror stories about Corporations? They're alive and well at B&V. I worked in HR and sat right next to the EEOC Specialist who received phone calls from internal employees needing help with difficult situations. The scary thing was, she didn't help these employees so much as ran upstairs to the lawyers for CYA advice. After a few more meetings these employees who were promised help if only they called, were suddenly fired, demoted, or bullied until they quit. I saw it happen over and over and over again.

The unofficial Personnel company motto? Nothing personal.

Without giving out sensitive information, I'll just say I've never worked at more unethical company, and I've worked in the corporate world for nearly 3 decades. HR is always vicious, but B&V took to an all time low.
Limited upper management support
Lead Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 23, 2013
Typical large company, all about upper management, limited support for the back bone workers. My co-workers were a team with a common goal, "to deliver the best product possible to the client" The constant policy changes made for a lot of extra work.
Pros
reasonable pay / good benefits
Cons
limited support / resources from management