Black & Veatch

Black & Veatch Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Contract - Long waiting period to be hired perm
Closeout Administrator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 11, 2014
Pros: nice office, nice people, centrally located
Cons: no advancement and if you're new, you have to start at the bottom and that's closeouts
Worked in the San Diego office for over 7 months waiting to be converted permanently while everyone else was having their paperwork processed. So one foot was already out the door then my supervisor who has no idea how to manage threatened me with my job. According to her findings, I wasn't closing out enough projects from the previous years. These – more... projects were horribly neglected and half of the backup documentation was missing. So how does one closeout a site without the proper backup? We were told to close them out anyway, only to have them rejected by corporate. It was a job going nowhere so I ended up leaving. Not worth staying when you have no idea when your last day will be. Overall, good company to work for if you are already permanent and NOT in closeouts. It's a horrible dept to be in. – less
Great place to work; advancement opportunities for a select few
Electrical Design Engineer (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 19, 2014
Pros: very structured as to how they do a design
Cons: very few advancement opportunities.
Good place to work. Hard to advance. Seemed like if you weren't one of the chosen few, you stayed in a cube and cranked out designs with little or no recognition.
Solid work experience in power generation.
Structural Lead Designer (Former Employee), Cary, NC & Centennial, COFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: solid company.
Cons: cad software lacking.
Good structural design experience focusing on heavy foundation design and structural steel. I was able to advance my knowledge effectively.
Was not employed long enough
Project Coordinator and Close Out Facilitator (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNFebruary 11, 2014
BV was overall a good work environment, however i was a temp so i was let go before they could hire me on.
Fun and challenging environment with a team of hard working
Structural Engineer (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSJanuary 24, 2014
Working at B&V has opened a wider set of opportunities for me in terms of the multicultural experience at work. Technical and managerial decision making were part of my daily routine because there was to time to spend just waiting while working on site in a foreign country.
Large Organisation
Project Accountant (Current Employee), RedhillJanuary 16, 2014
Busy, hard working days. Many experiences. engaging staff
Site Acquisition experience self-performed and Vendor managed
Site Acquisition Manager (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: good company, opportunity based
6 years experience in site acquisition work. Had KS and MO territories and also moved to MN and worked Iowa and Nebraska with vendor management.
Internship
Summer Intern, Construction and Procurement (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSJanuary 7, 2014
I interned at Black & Veatch as a buyer in their Procurement side.
Overall this is a good company to work for.
Engineer Technician (Current Employee), Ann Arbor, MIDecember 26, 2013
This company has a good atmosphere, they have flexible work schedules allowing professionals to take every other Friday off. The only thing I would say that the company needs to improve upon is to allow profesionals to take more responsibility in project roles.
Working at B&V is a big plus in your professional career
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSDecember 20, 2013
Great people, both working force and management, high quality of work, rewarding atmosphere;
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Project Support Manager (Current Employee), Walnut Creek, CADecember 5, 2013
Pros: able to climb in the company
Responsible for all aspects of the project support staffing resources for majority of projects in a large division/sector, including recruiting, scheduling, supervising, training, mentoring, goal setting, and performance assessment.

Enjoy working with Management, Lead Construction Managers, Field Construction Managers and General Contractors to work – more... towards a goal. Doing Quality and Completing the Projects before the deadline. – less
productive good facilities
Ganger (Former Employee), ENGNovember 26, 2013
Pros: good training regime
Cons: working away from home
organised work culture.
pleasant work environment.
good team of men to work with.
An okay company
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSNovember 12, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule
An okay company that would work well for someone looking to settle into a professional career with limited vertical growth. Work load fluctuation is very unpredictable. Company is more of a follower than a leader. However, the flexible work schedule, on-site workout facility, and other employee amenities are nice perks.
Enjoyable work place and friendly colleges
Document Controller (Current Employee), Reading, ENGOctober 7, 2013
Pros: close to home
Cons: part time
Daily I check my emails and the inbox where all the work is to work on. My day as Document Controller is to work from the oldest date requests. I have to save drawings and documentation to our filing system (Cygnet) and issue to our client. Most of the drawings we receive from Sub-contractors I have to receipt, record and issue to the project teams – more... so that the design team are aware of changes and changes to make an issue back for correction.
I enjoyable part of my job is that it is varied and always learning and willing to learn more. – less
Work Place
Lead Process Designer (Former Employee), Houston TxSeptember 26, 2013
The company have's a flex time work week. We meet once a week on projects. Management works very close with the employe's to make everybody comfortable.
summary
My role as a pipefitter (Former Employee), durhamSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: job near home
Cons: long hours
my typical day at work was as supervisor off pipe section and laying pipes and fitting pipes also driving heavy plant on a daily basis I learned team work is the main aspect of the job but can also work alone
Not fun place to work
Resident Construction Inspector (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYAugust 30, 2013
Never enough time to do the real work required of an engineer. Too many company requests and directives. Not much support from the company. The BV supplied computer was a nightmare as there was no internet cable only an undependable air card. Never had printer software installed on the BV laptop so you needed to use a flash drive on PRINTER. JOB SITE – more... DID NOT HAVE WORKING PHONES ...SO YOU Had to use your cell phone to get things done. Never had my own desk. Pop quiz drug screenings with two day notices. The home office in Kansas had no idea what a hardship it was to take the screening in a different part of Manhattan and then walk back to your job site and still do an entire days work. Not a friendly place to work. Typical day: prepare daily report written in a log book and also electronically, same with logs , Worked in a large trailer and outdoors. GC never gave a heads-up a day in advance on equipment and material deliveries coming onsite and leaving the site...all of which needed to be tracked and photographed. The photos needed to be labeled with one of 2 contract #'s, location and date plus a description. Some people worked much harder than others as this was a joint venture job between 3 companies. Inspections for work done by several contractors....none of which advised the construction manager they would be on site or they were on site. Lack of control! The hardest part of the job was being AT ALL Places at all times and still doing the paper work. This was a 2man job but the client did not want to spend the money. The only joy was taking a required 1/2 hour for lunch ...so 8hr pay for being there 8 1/2 hours. Even on OT it was straight pay and I worked thru lunch most of the time. Safety classes once a month with lunch thrown in and a certificate a couple of weeks later. The GC hated the CM.
a couple of the co-workers were good people.....but most are still engineers with no personality

Bottom line: you are a tool in a tool drawer.. – less
Constantly on the move outside and preparing many daily reports and logs
Resident Senior Construction Inspector 4 (Former Employee), Manhattan, NY DEP Shafts 26B & 25BJuly 27, 2013
Pros: not bored
Cons: can't leave the job site to get lunch
Same as review summary. Dealing with GCs and their subcontractors to document project with digital photography. Review contract documents and sahop drawings for contract compliance by the GC and their subcontractors.
very good company to work for
Subcontract Clerk (Current Employee), Redhill in SurreyJuly 24, 2013
Pros: very flexible and work and family life balance
allows the employees to progress, ie study scopes and promotions

About Black & Veatch

One of the US's largest private companies, Black & Veatch (BV) is a leading global engineering, consulting, and construction firm – Read more