Black & Veatch

Black & Veatch Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Civil Engineer (Project Engineer) (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 18, 2015
B&V promotes a great work environment. I had great managers that knew how to get everybody to work well and still make us love them. I loved the family culture cultivated by the company and I had absolutely no complains about it at all.
Decent Co
Quality Management (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 23, 2016
Take the good with the bad. The workers are great. Most are professional and friendly. The management varies. HR management is terrible.
Life/ Work balance
Substation Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 28, 2016
Its a great company to work for since it offers great work/life balance. The 9/80 schedule allows people to catch-up on life while still maintaining a good work schedule.
Pros
Work/Life balance, Salary
Cons
Good diversity of different types of work to bid
Senior Electrical and I&C Construction Estimator (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COFebruary 27, 2016
One of the best opportunities to bid on several different type of work here in the US and all over the world, on projects for power generation and transmission lines, water and waste water treatment plants, solar fields to battery charging and storage projects.
Good Workplace
Project Controls Engineer & Budgeting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palestinian TerritoriesApril 10, 2016
My experience with Black and Veatch was very motivating and high in value. It was one of the best working environments i had throughout my last several jobs.
Good company with typical bureaucratic systems
Strategic Initiatives Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Bluff, ILMarch 27, 2015
Your experience will depend on your supervisor's competence. In my case, my supervisor is not a good communicator nor very strong manager.

I am a self-starter, and therefore work on my own a lot without a lot of direction. I do not view a path towards accelerating my career here however, only because my boss doesn't know how to fully leverage my skills to help him grow our business group.

I feel like I could stay here forever if I wasn't very ambitious and make a decent living, but that is not my goal.
Pros
Midwestern values and integrity
Cons
Mediocre pay, benefits and promotion opportunities
Black & Veatch is a great company to work for and offers a great family/work balance
Electrical Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 25, 2016
I have worked for Black & Veatch for almost 5 years and I have nothing bad to say about them. They are a great company who treats their employees great.
Black & Veatch / Project Associate
Project Associate (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORJanuary 5, 2016
Support Black & Veatch's fast-paced Energy division team to facilitate efficient and effective project delivery. The position encompasses administration, project tracking duties, composing client correspondence, maintaining contact lists, proofreading / editing client presentations and deliverables, and other tasks as assigned.
Wireless Telecom Project Coordinator
Telecom Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 23, 2015
With a combination of instinct, integrity, trustworthiness, and an openness to learn anything new in any project I’m assigned to. I work hard to complete various assignments and do so with the utmost enthusiasm. I am goal oriented as well as being a team player. I am always punctual, as well as being easygoing and enjoy smiling and laughing. I have demonstrated a strong desire for advancement in the wireless telecommunication arena as well as to be always professional and attentive. Diligent in studying for advancing certifications, attention to detail, devoted to work, but being a real people person. I am well organized, and I keep a sharp eye on the bottom line. I realize too that good customer relations are what make or break a relationship with vendors and clients. I suppose doing well in a career is easy if you are, driven in equal measure by both quality and efficiency with a strong desire to learn and grow further into the future.
Pros
enthusiasum to learn new technologies as well as new business procedures.
Great place to work but no stability
Project Controls Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 20, 2015
I loved working at Black & Veatch. However, employment is project based and they do little to place existing employees on new projects. I really liked my job and working for Black & Veatch. You would think that if they valued existing talent they would take steps to retain it.
Pros
great teamwork atmosphere and pay for performance
Cons
they don't retain existing talent at project completion
Medical Benefits and 401K was a plus
Closeout Administrator - SD/LV Telecom Division (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 18, 2016
I learned a lot about closing contract and the Telecommunication Industry.

Black & Veatch have been in business for several years; a very professional company to work for.
Bay Area
Construction Manager - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAFebruary 13, 2016
Multiple projects in the bay area were communicated as to the urgency of each site. Support from company was as expected. Overall experience was good.
B&V
Digital Content Specialist, (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 4, 2015
Fun place to work if you have good co-workers. I did personally, I got along with basically all my team members. Management seemed a bit removed and unaware of things happening until they asked about it. Generation gaps made communicating slightly difficult.
Pros
Flexibility with hours, ability to work from home if needed.
Cons
Management communication methods weren't the best.
Decent job with bad management
Sr Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kandahār, KANSeptember 1, 2015
The management took bribes on a State Dept project in Afghanistan. I reported fraud and had some success there, unfortunately one would think that after i cleaned the place up that I would be retained beyond just one project, good companies do that but Black and Veatch is not a good company.
Pros
Pay and time off was good
Cons
Management was criminal
Corporate Cliche
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 7, 2015
You know all the horror stories about Corporations? They're alive and well at B&V. I worked in HR and sat right next to the EEOC Specialist who received phone calls from internal employees needing help with difficult situations. The scary thing was, she didn't help these employees so much as ran upstairs to the lawyers for CYA advice. After a few more meetings these employees who were promised help if only they called, were suddenly fired, demoted, or bullied until they quit. I saw it happen over and over and over again.

The unofficial Personnel company motto? Nothing personal.

Without giving out sensitive information, I'll just say I've never worked at more unethical company, and I've worked in the corporate world for nearly 3 decades. HR is always vicious, but B&V took to an all time low.
Horrible
Site acquisition (Former Employee) –  KansasMarch 28, 2013
Little to no direction on everything, management is terrible and absent from work regularly, co workers are decent but rightfully stressed, turn over rate is by far the worst I've seen in all my years of working for different companies. Everyone that is good at what they do leaves the first chance they get to work elsewhere, and new employees rarely last through the first 6 months because management is just that terrible. Management takes no fault in their mess ups and are the first to put the blame on the little guys and then fire them. No one, even management has worked for BV telecom for more than 5 years. Run do not walk away from this company, and if they want to hire you as a contract employee I'd say no and wait for something else....you won't regret not working for this company.
Pros
some decent co workers who are stressed beyond belief
Cons
turn over rate, management, dysfunction, no direction, pay, benefits, in general their telecom division
Large global company with new stratagies to achieve by 2020
Senior Human Resources Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 7, 2015
I was part of the HR On-boarding Team with continually high new hire numbers and workload. I had a great team and loved my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was the never ending increase of duties assigned. New HR Associates were always replace, their duties were divided among the current team members. I enjoyed that our duties were very specialized, I learned a huge amount about the Background Investigations, I-9 and Visa processes and government requirements.
Staying focused and enjoy what you do
Construction Superintendent (Current Employee) –  South AfricaSeptember 23, 2015
Learning and sharing knowledge, treat you fellow workers in a way that you would like to be treated, come to grips of understanding the managers expectations and deliver above their expectations,keep team work together and treat each other fairly, setting a goal and finishing way ahead of your goal date. I honestly enjoy challenges makes my job enjoyable.
Cons
Don't even think about working for their "WIRELESS" division!!!
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 29, 2012
Worst decision of my life to work for their wirless division. I was sold on this place is family oriented. That is total BS. The upper management is Corrupt.Embezzling is going on and if you figure it out...your out! Along with if you are the new guy and low man on the pole you will get thrown under the buss!!! No on board training for their system as well. I left a long time job for this place....Worst place ever to work upper management is "crooked".
Pros
nothing
Cons
upper management, atmosphere, long hours no comp.
Hard work and kept fun
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 26, 2015
Enjoyable place to work; the people I work with in my department like to keep it fun. Work can be really challenging. Getting every other Friday off is really nice.
Pros
Every other Friday off; great compensation
Cons
Work and schedules can be challenging