Black & Veatch

Black & Veatch Employee Reviews

Great place to work but no stability
Project Controls Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 20, 2015
I loved working at Black & Veatch. However, employment is project based and they do little to place existing employees on new projects. I really liked my job and working for Black & Veatch. You would think that if they valued existing talent they would take steps to retain it.
Pros
great teamwork atmosphere and pay for performance
Cons
they don't retain existing talent at project completion
Great company to work for
Civil Engineer (Project Engineer) (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 18, 2015
B&V promotes a great work environment. I had great managers that knew how to get everybody to work well and still make us love them. I loved the family culture cultivated by the company and I had absolutely no complains about it at all.
Excellent company with a wide variety of projects
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 23, 2015
Great company with a lot of new work coming in. Some of the clients, however, make the schedules pretty aggressive, causing some frantic deadlines. Good co-workers with good attitudes and strong work ethics. The size of the company allows employees to feel safe during lull periods, as well as a lot of support during the busy times (extra support staff). A lot of older employees with a lot of knowledge teaches the younger employees. With the large amount of older employees, room for advancement is present
Pros
Mobile work stations, ability to work from home or other offices
Cons
Horrible benefits
Lack of direction and displine
Owners Representative over New Construction (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXNovember 4, 2015
Typical Corporation to big and lost the plot.. Talks a very good game but no action. Evaluation are poor every year. Ive been with Black & Veatch a long time mabe my expectation were to high..
Staying focused and enjoy what you do
Construction Superintendent (Current Employee) –  South AfricaSeptember 23, 2015
Learning and sharing knowledge, treat you fellow workers in a way that you would like to be treated, come to grips of understanding the managers expectations and deliver above their expectations,keep team work together and treat each other fairly, setting a goal and finishing way ahead of your goal date. I honestly enjoy challenges makes my job enjoyable.
Large global company with new stratagies to achieve by 2020
Senior Human Resources Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 7, 2015
I was part of the HR On-boarding Team with continually high new hire numbers and workload. I had a great team and loved my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was the never ending increase of duties assigned. New HR Associates were always replace, their duties were divided among the current team members. I enjoyed that our duties were very specialized, I learned a huge amount about the Background Investigations, I-9 and Visa processes and government requirements.
B&V
Digital Content Specialist, (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 4, 2015
Fun place to work if you have good co-workers. I did personally, I got along with basically all my team members. Management seemed a bit removed and unaware of things happening until they asked about it. Generation gaps made communicating slightly difficult.
Pros
Flexibility with hours, ability to work from home if needed.
Cons
Management communication methods weren't the best.
Some Locations are better than others
Market Manager (Current Employee) –  SD/LVSeptember 4, 2015
The Turf Director in the San Diego Office creates and promotes a unhealthy and hostile work environment. Shoot first and aim later mentality. Job security is seemingly nonexistent. The "open door" policy was more used against you than to help you.

Other work locations were very much fun and challenging with a great management system in place. The Corporate mission statement is very much in focus. Would be a great career environment unless you work in the San Diego/Las Vegas joint office.
Pros
Great Benefits, salary, and internal traning
Cons
The '"In Crowd" seems to be protected when found wrong
Decent job with bad management
Sr Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kandahār, KANSeptember 1, 2015
The management took bribes on a State Dept project in Afghanistan. I reported fraud and had some success there, unfortunately one would think that after i cleaned the place up that I would be retained beyond just one project, good companies do that but Black and Veatch is not a good company.
Pros
Pay and time off was good
Cons
Management was criminal
Excellent company.
Engineer III (Former Employee) –  PRAugust 21, 2015
Vast resources for the employee in term of every day work and in benefits. Experience co-workers that you can consult any difficulty in the job site.
productive and fun place ...
Administrative Assistant Support I (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo PRJuly 31, 2015
I learned all about a how to enter the payroll .. and work with all the documents of the ingeneers that will be work there .My co-worker was very helpful.. My harderst part of the job was in the end of the month ..
BLACK & VEATCH HAS A GREAT CULTURE, ITS LIKE HOME AT WORK.
CONSTRUCTION SUPERINTENDENT (CG) (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GPJuly 31, 2015
A TYPICAL DAY IS BASICALY DIFFERENT FROM THE PREVIOUS, SINCE EVERY DAY WE PLAN TO COME UP WITH BETTER WAYS TO DO THE JOB. STICKING TO MY DAILY PLAN IS IMPORTANT. I MIGHT HAVE 2-7 INSPECTIONS BUT THATS THE NORM AND TRY TO MITIGATE DELAYS AND KEEP THE CLIENT HAPPY.
Hard work and kept fun
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 26, 2015
Enjoyable place to work; the people I work with in my department like to keep it fun. Work can be really challenging. Getting every other Friday off is really nice.
Pros
Every other Friday off; great compensation
Cons
Work and schedules can be challenging
Love this job
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 15, 2015
I have always wanted to work for Black and Veach since I was in highschool.

On a daily basis, I would get to work and look for projects to start working on. Once I have a site I would look over the site and check if there were and redlines. If there were no redlines I would review the site to check for any errors that I could find. Next was pushing the site to the next phase and making sure it goes through all its checks so the site could go out on that day.

Everyone that I work with is great. From the moment I was hired, people provided me with assistance without hesitation. No one was ever frustrated with me when I asked questions, and they even taught me things for future problems that could occur. I love my work environment and the people make it that much better.
Pros
Great hours, great staff, great enviornment
Cons
None so far
A productive and people centered consulting firm
Project Scientist, Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJuly 12, 2015
A productive and people centered consulting firm with a multi-diciplinary approach to project and program management. Excellent place for engineering professionals.
Good Place to work
Graphics Engineer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 10, 2015
Hard to get in and they are strict on guidelines. Great environment to work in. Very team oriented and open to employee input.
Challenging and rewarding
Senior Project Controls Analyst (Current Employee) –  JohannesburgJune 18, 2015
Most days involve the application of advanced project controls techniques and analyses in support of the client’s outage management projects and in providing a transfer of skill and knowledge in the fields of project management, outage planning and scheduling. Sometimes I work autonomously but mostly as part of a small dedicated team in the field, which is fully supported by our management team based in Johannesburg. The hardest part of the job is managing the on site culture in respect of trying to improve procedures and processes to deliver more effective and efficient outcomes to the clients objectives. It is extremely satisfying when this is achieved.
Great company to work for!
Procurement Representative (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 5, 2015
Black & Veatch Special Projects Corp. is a great place to work. I enjoyed the people that I worked with so much. Working in the Procurement Dept. meant for a faster paced work day. There was always something that needed to be done, which I liked very much. My co-workers were the greatest! They were the most enjoyable part of the job, not to say that I did not enjoy the work, which I did. My co-workers just made working there that much more wonderful! I learned a variety of new skills and learned ways to improve the skills that I already had.
Pros
The people!
Cons
Healthcare, but that is expensive everywhere.
Black & Veatch provides a productive environment with lots of career development opportunities.
Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 26, 2015
Working as a Project Structural Engineer involves challenges as well as opportunities for professional development. Performing complex structural analysis such as dynamic analysis, impact analysis, hydrodynamic analysis and completing the project within schedule and budget, to the satisfaction of the client can be challenging as well as rewarding. Black & Veatch provides essential framework as well as resources necessary for successful completion of a project.
Fast-Paced and Challenging
Lead Structural Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 26, 2015
My experience with Black and Veatch was a very fast-paced and challenging work environment, while managing over 25 engineering professionals in three countries in two continents.