Black & Veatch

Black & Veatch Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Love this job
Engineering Technician (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Great hours, great staff, great enviornment
Cons: None so far
I have always wanted to work for Black and Veach since I was in highschool.

On a daily basis, I would get to work and look for projects to start working on. Once I have a site I would look over the site and check if there were and redlines. If there were no redlines I would review the site to check for any errors that I could find. Next was pushing the site to the next phase and making sure it goes through all its checks so the site could go out on that day.

Everyone that I work with is great. From the moment I was hired, people provided me with assistance without hesitation. No one was ever frustrated with me when I asked questions, and they even taught me things for future problems that could occur. I love my work environment and the people make it that much better.
A productive and people centered consulting firm
Project Scientist, Program Manager (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GAJuly 12, 2015
A productive and people centered consulting firm with a multi-diciplinary approach to project and program management. Excellent place for engineering professionals.
Good Place to work
Graphics Engineer (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSJuly 10, 2015
Hard to get in and they are strict on guidelines. Great environment to work in. Very team oriented and open to employee input.
Challenging and rewarding
Senior Project Controls Analyst (Current Employee), JohannesburgJune 18, 2015
Most days involve the application of advanced project controls techniques and analyses in support of the client’s outage management projects and in providing a transfer of skill and knowledge in the fields of project management, outage planning and scheduling. Sometimes I work autonomously but mostly as part of a small dedicated team in the field, which is fully supported by our management team based in Johannesburg. The hardest part of the job is managing the on site culture in respect of trying to improve procedures and processes to deliver more effective and efficient outcomes to the clients objectives. It is extremely satisfying when this is achieved.
Great company to work for!
Procurement Representative (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSJune 5, 2015
Pros: The people!
Cons: Healthcare, but that is expensive everywhere.
Black & Veatch Special Projects Corp. is a great place to work. I enjoyed the people that I worked with so much. Working in the Procurement Dept. meant for a faster paced work day. There was always something that needed to be done, which I liked very much. My co-workers were the greatest! They were the most enjoyable part of the job, not to say that I did not enjoy the work, which I did. My co-workers just made working there that much more wonderful! I learned a variety of new skills and learned ways to improve the skills that I already had.
Black & Veatch provides a productive environment with lots of career development opportunities.
Structural Engineer (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMay 26, 2015
Working as a Project Structural Engineer involves challenges as well as opportunities for professional development. Performing complex structural analysis such as dynamic analysis, impact analysis, hydrodynamic analysis and completing the project within schedule and budget, to the satisfaction of the client can be challenging as well as rewarding. Black & Veatch provides essential framework as well as resources necessary for successful completion of a project.
Fast-Paced and Challenging
Lead Structural Design Engineer (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMay 26, 2015
My experience with Black and Veatch was a very fast-paced and challenging work environment, while managing over 25 engineering professionals in three countries in two continents.
Supportive and team oriented place to work
Wireless Lead Construction Manager (Current Employee), Pittsburgh,PAMay 5, 2015
Pros: Free breakfast or lunch once a week / extremely safety conscious
Cons: Long work days due to current project
Typical day at work resumes after I get home in the evenings due to size of current project.

Learned how to deal with difficult situations.

Really respect and like my local upper Leadership.

Coworkers are some of the best in the telecommunications

Hardest part of the job is not being able to be proactive due to the changing scope of current project. I always like to be a step ahead and it is difficult to achieive in my current situation.

Most enjoyable is to see a project thru from start to finish ( building or upgrading a cell site/tower)
Good company that takes care of valued employees
Field Engineer (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMay 3, 2015
Worked for them in the field for 17 years. They have done me right most of the time and have great benefits. Growing and things are changing.
Alway have company functions outside of work
Regional Quality Manager Region 10 & 12 (Former Employee), Bloomington MNApril 13, 2015
Pros: Friendly, Pay
Cons: not enough time in the day to complete the task at hand
10 hour day+
Training is always available
Management was professional
Co-workers are fun to work with
Obtaining NTP's from the client
Always changing
Challenging aggressive work environment
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOApril 9, 2015
Pros: travel
Cons: travel
Work environment requires varied locations and job requirements. Environmentally conscience company that has the most college to retirement careers within a company. The hardest part of the job was learning to work projects from a long distance.
Corporate Cliche
Recruiter (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSApril 7, 2015
You know all the horror stories about Corporations? They're alive and well at B&V. I worked in HR and sat right next to the EEOC Specialist who received phone calls from internal employees needing help with difficult situations. The scary thing was, she didn't help these employees so much as ran upstairs to the lawyers for CYA advice. After a few more meetings these employees who were promised help if only they called, were suddenly fired, demoted, or bullied until they quit. I saw it happen over and over and over again.

The unofficial Personnel company motto? Nothing personal.

Without giving out sensitive information, I'll just say I've never worked at more unethical company, and I've worked in the corporate world for nearly 3 decades. HR is always vicious, but B&V took to an all time low.
Great place to work, wonderful staff to work with, the office is very professional.
Project Closeout Facilitator (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 1, 2015
Pros: Benifits, Work hours and Work days
Cons: No Overtime
Have worked her for many years and enjoy all the people that I work with. Never a problem with the co workers. Its exciting and new sititutions can happen that may need resolved. Work closely with AT&T Project Managers
Good company with typical bureaucratic systems
Strategic Initiatives Manager (Current Employee), Lake Bluff, ILMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Midwestern values and integrity
Cons: Mediocre pay, benefits and promotion opportunities
Your experience will depend on your supervisor's competence. In my case, my supervisor is not a good communicator nor very strong manager.

I am a self-starter, and therefore work on my own a lot without a lot of direction. I do not view a path towards accelerating my career here however, only because my boss doesn't know how to fully leverage my skills to help him grow our business group.

I feel like I could stay here forever if I wasn't very ambitious and make a decent living, but that is not my goal.
Black & Veatch
Personal Assistant to MD & Commercial Director (Former Employee), RedhillMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Great working environment
Cons: None that I care to mention
Great varied role where I learnt a lot about health & safety within the construction industry. Whilst a pressured environment to be in the people were really friendly and lovely.

Preparing agenda, minute taking and circulating monthly board packs had it challenges.
Productivity assisted teamwork .
RF Design Engineer (RF Engineer II) (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 23, 2015
Pros: good atmosphere
Cons: healthcare
Teamwork was always a plus. Understanding atmosphere .
Daily day to day work meetings entertained for quick understanding .
Secure Work Environment.
Sr. SAQ Specialist / SAM- Western Pennsylvania (Former Employee), Robinson Township, PAMarch 20, 2015
Management was willing to work with you. They encouraged you to move forward. Work environment could be stressful, until you were proven worthy of flexibility.
Smart & Friendly Workforce
Lead Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMarch 16, 2015
Pros: solid reputation, good location, growing
Cons: lackluster leadership, risk averse
Fundamentally Black & Veatch is a strong engineering company bolstered by smart and friendly midwestern engineers. Black & Veatch is making strides to expand its engineering business globally. Black & Veatch is more risk averse when expanding its construction business. Black & Veatch suffers under lackluster leadership and unfocused middle-management.
Excellent company for long term carreer.
Senior Project Control Analysis (Former Employee), BangkokMarch 10, 2015
Black&Veatch is a good company for a long term career, you will find a good friend and supervisor right there. They always provide you an opportunity to learn and grow up together.
Great People and Leaders in Pittsburgh
Execution Manager - AT&T Turf Project (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 10, 2015
Great People and Leaders in Pittsburgh - Don't know about the rest of the country. Advancement is tough. Lots of solid people to learn from. Low employee turnover in Pittsburgh.

1 2 3 4 5

About Black & Veatch

One of the US's largest private companies, Black & Veatch (BV) is a leading global engineering, consulting, and construction firm – Read more