Black & McDonald Limited Employee Reviews in Canada

Amazing employer!
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJuly 22, 2015
Great company that values its employees opinions, talents and knowledge. Lots of opportunities for growth, development and training. Both teamwork and the ability to work independently are valued. Lots of very skilled, friendly co-workers. Amazing incentives and very fair compensation, vacation and benefits are offered. Management/HR works to coach employees rather than condemn mistakes. Fantastic corporate culture and day-to-day work environment.
Pros
Compensation, training, work environment, corporate culture, co-workers
Daily Work Schedule
SENIOR BUILDING OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  14 Carlton StreetApril 12, 2016
I am pro-active person that strongly believes in good planning will always result in good results. I enjoy making a positive difference in both my daily work and also the people and customers that I associate with.

Every day is learning experience and should be shared with other to continue the enhancement of the team.

The hardest part of a job is to maintain a good customer focus level even when faced with a difficult customer. Patience is the key to implementing this positive attitude and the reward of solving the problem and meeting your customers need often proves your worth and skill levels.
Pros
Fast paced environment
Cons
Lots of travelling involvd that takes away from actual work time.
Best Company I've worked for
Labourer/Driver (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 26, 2016
Each morning I would be instructed on the days plan. I would then load material that would be needed. Once on site, a safety meeting would take place regarding the hazards we may face. My co-workers were respectful hard working. Black and MacDonald had the most respectful management teams I have ever worked for. The site had many different contractors that sometimes made it difficult for us to accomplish ours days work. I very much enjoyed working closely with my co-workers.
Pros
Heated outhouses in the winter
Cons
Only 45 hour work weeks
Excellent company to work for with exceptional culture and values!
Manager (Current Employee) –  TorontoJuly 22, 2015
Throughout my career at Black & McDonald I've had the opportunity to work on and be involved with several impactful projects and initiatives. I have experienced career development and have progressed through three different roles during my employment. Training and development opportunities have been made available to me to assist in advancement.

This successful company prides itself on a number of core values and a business philosophy which began many decades ago and has stood the test of time. It is unique in a sense of being a privately held Canadian company...still owned and operated by the McDonald family. Leaders at the company lead by example; their humble nature and approachable demeanor are inspiring and infectious!
Pros
Company culture and the people who work here!
Loading Dock Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
Great place to work. Great people, benefits, management. Worked there for almost ten years. Good job security. Fun work place. People always will to help. Many sites across Canada.
Pros
Job security
Cons
poor job advanements
Industrial Commissioning Electrician
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Anzac, ABNovember 26, 2015
Started the project with the HVAC Commissioning crew, then after 10 months joined the Electrical Commissioning crew as they were new to site.
Furthered my knowledge of controls/functions and wiring
Day to Day operations with resolving punch lists and deficiencies that were presented to our department.
Great exposure to commissioning and start-up procedures.
Overall Fantastic working experience
Pros
Great Camp and Mentoring Management
Cons
Schedule being 14/7.
Take my review with a grain of salt
FIELD SERVICES ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 23, 2016
Well I've only been with this company for 1 1/2 years. But my time with them has been very good. I'm a reccent graduate so my current position is somewhat more like an internship. However the people I work with are very helpful and focus on getting the job done. My boss provides good mentoring and I even learn from the technicians I work with as well.
Great support from management and co-workers
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 12, 2016
I have learned how to do payroll and payroll transfers. Nafta and PST self assess. The hardest part of the job is to ensure that there are no errors in the payroll. Working with the technicians and dispatching them to customer sites.
Pros
Great support
Cons
Health and Safety is Key!
Landscaper (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONJune 21, 2016
Great company with great people in all aspects of the company.
Health and Safety and good work ethics are most important for this company. Would recomand to everyone!
Pros
Uniform, Use of top quality equipment!
Not a place to build a career
Corporate (Former Employee) –  ScarboroughMarch 24, 2015
Can be a very good employer and corporate employees support each under very difficult situations. Genuine concern for well being between colleagues' and good intentioned line managers. Challenging office location for commuting. Collaborative and inclusive environment being promoted by management is in direct conflict with their actions. Very high employee turnover rate and low morale. HR was self-serving and unprofessional relationship with senior management led to an atmosphere of considerable mistrust. Everyone 'on pins and needles'. Eliminating HR role has led to marginal improvement however, continued low morale. Very limited career opportunities for such a large organization.
Pros
Long company history
Cons
High turnover, low morale, mistrust

Comment – August 13, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. At Black & McDonald, one of our top measures of success is employee satisfaction and loyalty. As such, we have recently implemented a company wide employee engagement survey to better understand internal concerns, which has led to the development of focus groups and action plans aimed at improving organizational transparency and morale. While we’re sorry to hear of your negative experience, know that we are continuously working to improve employee trust and ensure our actions are in the best interests of our team.

Fast paced, full days, and team players
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSDecember 23, 2015
A typical day at work includes many different things, a lot of physical labour which I enjoyed. My co-workers were very supportive and made it easy to learn the day-by-day routines. I enjoyed going into work every day not only because of the people I worked with but because I enjoyed learning new things. The hardest part of the job would have been how at first, it was extremely fast paced and very complex. Luckily I got use to this pattern and I am very eager to get started on some new or similar work.
Great colleagues horrible management
Project Supervisor (Current Employee) –  1150 finch ave westApril 13, 2016
Not a good place to work very poor management structure. I learned and gained a lot of valuable experience. Poor pay structure and no bonuses.
Great Work Team Terrible Management
Electrician (Current Employee) –  London, ONNovember 7, 2015
Common Practice for Management to push for skipping breaks and working in Harsh condititions. Safety often ignored by management. Great set of employees working there.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Terrible management Enviroment.
Business Development (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
Mostly worked from home and on the road. Great team work, weekly meetings and in office about twice a week. Always someone there for guidance if needed.
Pros
great mentors
Cons
40 hrs a week sometimes more
Good place
HVAC Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 23, 2016
The guys and office people are good and fun to be around, the equipment is fairly new. work environment is a safe, family driven
Pros
freedom
Cons
shortage of work
Too many shortcuts with OH&S
Construction Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Shell Groundbirch Substation construction projectMay 28, 2015
Not committed to occupational health and safety. Senior management always taking shortcuts and exposing workers to injury hazards.
Pros
Wages were very good, potential for a great culture is there, will need support from senior management
Cons
Ethically challenged, OH&S is a cost senior management are not willing to take.

Comment – July 22, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. As a former employee, you’re likely aware that our top measure of success at Black & McDonald is responsibility to health, safety and the environment. We commit to the uncompromising safety of our employees, and I’m sorry to hear that you feel we didn’t live up to that promise during your time at Black & McDonald. While both our safety standards and our safety performance rank above industry average, rest assured that we are continuously working to improve safety standards and minimize workplace hazards.

good work place
Refrigeration Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 21, 2015
really enjoy working for the union. great pay and benefits. like having the pension. great work, and enjoy the safety rules and regulations in place.
Safety Oriented and great foremen
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONJanuary 3, 2016
a very relaxed environment, with slow pace and strong focus on minimizing mistakes, and making sure all plans are in place.
ok
Refrigeration Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKDecember 6, 2015
good well established company with multiple tradesman working there most people are willing to help you out when you need the help
my co workers
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 30, 2015
love working as a team member
enjoyed working with the public and working outside they would give a different rate when you worked nights
Pros
more rate working nights
Cons
winter work