Black & McDonald Limited

Black & McDonald Limited Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great colleagues horrible management
Project Supervisor (Current Employee), 1150 finch ave westApril 13, 2016
Not a good place to work very poor management structure. I learned and gained a lot of valuable experience. Poor pay structure and no bonuses.
Great support from management and co-workers
Dispatcher (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 12, 2016
Pros: Great support
Cons: Long hours
I have learned how to do payroll and payroll transfers. Nafta and PST self assess. The hardest part of the job is to ensure that there are no errors in the payroll. Working with the technicians and dispatching them to customer sites.
Business Development (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
Pros: great mentors
Cons: 40 hrs a week sometimes more
Mostly worked from home and on the road. Great team work, weekly meetings and in office about twice a week. Always someone there for guidance if needed.
Good place
HVAC Apprentice (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 23, 2016
Pros: freedom
Cons: shortage of work
The guys and office people are good and fun to be around, the equipment is fairly new. work environment is a safe, family driven
Take my review with a grain of salt
FIELD SERVICES ENGINEER (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 23, 2016
Well I've only been with this company for 1 1/2 years. But my time with them has been very good. I'm a reccent graduate so my current position is somewhat more like an internship. However the people I work with are very helpful and focus on getting the job done. My boss provides good mentoring and I even learn from the technicians I work with as well.
Safety Oriented and great foremen
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONJanuary 3, 2016
a very relaxed environment, with slow pace and strong focus on minimizing mistakes, and making sure all plans are in place.
Fast paced, full days, and team players
Labourer (Former Employee), Halifax, NSDecember 23, 2015
A typical day at work includes many different things, a lot of physical labour which I enjoyed. My co-workers were very supportive and made it easy to learn the day-by-day routines. I enjoyed going into work every day not only because of the people I worked with but because I enjoyed learning new things. The hardest part of the job would have been how at first, it was extremely fast paced and very complex. Luckily I got use to this pattern and I am very eager to get started on some new or similar work.
ok
Refrigeration Mechanic (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKDecember 6, 2015
good well established company with multiple tradesman working there most people are willing to help you out when you need the help
my co workers
General Labourer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 30, 2015
Pros: more rate working nights
Cons: winter work
love working as a team member
enjoyed working with the public and working outside they would give a different rate when you worked nights
Industrial Commissioning Electrician
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee), Anzac, ABNovember 26, 2015
Pros: Great Camp and Mentoring Management
Cons: Schedule being 14/7.
Started the project with the HVAC Commissioning crew, then after 10 months joined the Electrical Commissioning crew as they were new to site.
Furthered my knowledge of controls/functions and wiring
Day to Day operations with resolving punch lists and deficiencies that were presented to our department.
Great exposure to commissioning and start-up procedures.
Overall Fantastic working experience
Great Work Team Terrible Management
Electrician (Current Employee), London, ONNovember 7, 2015
Pros: Wages
Cons: Terrible management Enviroment.
Common Practice for Management to push for skipping breaks and working in Harsh condititions. Safety often ignored by management. Great set of employees working there.
Electrical contractor
Labourer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 29, 2015
Great co-workers, they offer a great wage, fun positive envoirment, lots of oppurtunty to grow within the company since they are willing to constantly sharpen their empolyees.
good work place
Refrigeration Mechanic (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 21, 2015
really enjoy working for the union. great pay and benefits. like having the pension. great work, and enjoy the safety rules and regulations in place.
Great work crew
Pipefitter Apprentice (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, AlbertaSeptember 19, 2015
The job site and crew of guys is excellent. Would recommend this job site to anyone, would work here again any day of the week.
Loading Dock Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Job security
Cons: poor job advanements
Great place to work. Great people, benefits, management. Worked there for almost ten years. Good job security. Fun work place. People always will to help. Many sites across Canada.
Black and McDonald
Site Service Manager (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 30, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A
Great Staff & always available to help.
Management have developed a great Team inorder to complete this Project. All Staff are very easy going
Excellent company to work for with exceptional culture and values!
Manager (Current Employee), TorontoJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Company culture and the people who work here!
Throughout my career at Black & McDonald I've had the opportunity to work on and be involved with several impactful projects and initiatives. I have experienced career development and have progressed through three different roles during my employment. Training and development opportunities have been made available to me to assist in advancement.

This successful company prides itself on a number of core values and a business philosophy which began many decades ago and has stood the test of time. It is unique in a sense of being a privately held Canadian company...still owned and operated by the McDonald family. Leaders at the company lead by example; their humble nature and approachable demeanor are inspiring and infectious!
Amazing employer!
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Compensation, training, work environment, corporate culture, co-workers
Great company that values its employees opinions, talents and knowledge. Lots of opportunities for growth, development and training. Both teamwork and the ability to work independently are valued. Lots of very skilled, friendly co-workers. Amazing incentives and very fair compensation, vacation and benefits are offered. Management/HR works to coach employees rather than condemn mistakes. Fantastic corporate culture and day-to-day work environment.
It's a job
Western Canada Project Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 9, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Long days, on call 24 hours/day 7 days/week
Underpaid for overall responsibilities expected with large contract. Expected to fund site visits out of pocket and expense back, sometimes with long wait times and incurring interest charges on personal charge card.

August 13, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. As a current employee you’re likely aware that Black & McDonald is heavily focused on balancing customer satisfaction and loyalty with employee satisfaction and loyalty. While we aim to provide the best work-life balance we possibly can, there are instances wherein both project and customer needs result in increased responsibilities and additional site visits. We appreciate all of your hard work and will take your feedback regarding expenses into consideration going forward.

Too many shortcuts with OH&S
Construction Safety Officer (Former Employee), Shell Groundbirch Substation construction projectMay 28, 2015
Pros: Wages were very good, potential for a great culture is there, will need support from senior management
Cons: Ethically challenged, OH&S is a cost senior management are not willing to take.
Not committed to occupational health and safety. Senior management always taking shortcuts and exposing workers to injury hazards.

July 22, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. As a former employee, you’re likely aware that our top measure of success at Black & McDonald is responsibility to health, safety and the environment. We commit to the uncompromising safety of our employees, and I’m sorry to hear that you feel we didn’t live up to that promise during your time at Black & McDonald. While both our safety standards and our safety performance rank above industry average, rest assured that we are continuously working to improve safety standards and minimize workplace hazards.

Headquarters