Black & McDonald Limited Employee Reviews

Challenging Workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Courtice, ON18 November 2017
Leadership Practices are inconsistent. Reporting issues to Human Resources are not resolved. Little interest in development of staff. The culture is for the construction industry alone.
Pros
Focus on Safety
Family like, team built company
Contract Manager FMO (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON4 November 2017
Great place to work.
From exec down to coworkers, there is support and trust and cooperation to make every day a success for individuals that leads to the sucess of the organization.
Good company but no job security
Financial Controller (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON2 November 2017
Job security is not good. Very easy to get fired or laid off if the manager doesnèt like you, even if your job performance is good.

Stay on the managementès good side and stay active in the company social events and your job should be more secure.
Pros
prestigious company
Cons
managers are not approachable and easy to talk to.
excellent job
Dispatcher/Custome Service Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC30 October 2017
excellent salary and benefits. only reason left was relocation of call centre ffrom Vernon to Toronto. Otherwise and excellent company to work for in al other respects.
Productive and fun
Junior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2017
My time working at Black & McDonald has been nothing but positive. I would definitely recommend this work environment too anyone interesting in a professional career opportunity.
Great company to work for. Management team was excellent and they were great to their craft workers.
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Muskrat Falls, NL14 September 2017
I enjoyed my 4 months of work with Black & McDonald and if I had the chance to work there again I would. Great management and very safety oriented. By far they live up to their expectations.
great work atmosphere
Plumber (Former Employee) –  Goose Bay, NL30 August 2017
I would love to work with this company again. very good leadership and a well balanced work schedule . I learned alot of good skills that i will carry on for a long time after
Great place.
Sheet Metal Worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 August 2017
Leaned from many skilled trades workers during my time at B&M. Learned a considerable amount about large scale operations, and logistics pertaining to the skilled trades.
Pros
Great work experience.
Cons
Away from home often.
Typical electrical job
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 August 2017
If you are a union electrician it's that. I didn't work for them long and from what I gathered it wasn't there typical job. It showed as the job was not very well organized from the onset. I don't know what they are like with their normal electrical work.
Fun Working Environment
Project Coordinator/Estimator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 July 2017
fun working environment. Lots to learn. high pressure. High expectation, Long hours, salary does not match with expectations. Good company to learn from
employees are not even a second to money
Construction Manager/General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Masset, BC23 July 2017
work is away from home, while working for B&M my wife had a very bad stroke, I was replaced with in days, never was offered a job with the company again. had to fight to get my expense cheques was ^ months after my last day work to get my last expense cheque.
Fabrication Shop
Sheet Metal Journey Person (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 July 2017
Typical day includes completing job orders from off site employees, reviewing job order specifications, fabrication of required pieces, clean up of shop.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
job security
Husky Sunrise, Rigging Foreman
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 June 2017
I Was a Rigging Foreman at Husky Sunrise, I supvised 10 Pipe fitters, I like to Rig myself and would never ask a Brother, Pipe fitter, to do a job I wouldn't do. I keep the boys busy, and we got alot of overtime. 12 hour days. I worked there for 8 months, it was a good bib
Pros
Flights to Camp, 12 hour days, overtime
Cons
14 day shift, and when you went to camp, you stayed in camp for 14 days
Only concerned with the bottom line
Estimates & Proposals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON20 June 2017
Black and McDonald is a horrible place to work; in 2015 they laid off many people in the pickering location without actually finding alternate jobs which were available at other locations. They created the problem with their clients and took it out on employees.
Would never recommend them to anyone to work or to use
good workplace
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador23 May 2017
good work place good people to work with and work around good pay get more experience at camp set up and trim work camp was a good place to stay good managment
Stressful environment
Finance (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON23 May 2017
good salary
good benefits
toxic environment
departments lack communication skils( accounting, purchasing.etc

Supervisors should work on communication skill and supervisory skills.
Upper management(accounting) should work on communication.
Lack of quality training.
Quick to point fingers and not help with work
Unexpected surprises.NOT a good thing
Pros
Benefits and Salary
Cons
Training, Communication, Stressful
Excellent company to work for
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 May 2017
Gained valuable experience. Extremely well organized. Health and safety was their priority. Very concerned about their employees. Learned skills that are extremely helpful for my future.
Pros
Excellent safety
Cons
productive and fun place to work
Supervisor and Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 May 2017
Management was great. you could go to them with any issues. They are very up to date and pro active on safety.
The days can be very long and get in the way of home life.
Overall a fantastic place to work.
Pros
excellent pay, co-workers are great.
Cons
Very learning orientated job placement
Summer Student Program (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON5 April 2017
Typical day at work would consist of delivering materials to job sites across the GTA. From heavy equipment to lumber from home depot we would do it all. I learned the names of basic electrical parts used in commercial construction. Management was very good at this work place. The hardest part of the job for me was when people previous to me didn't do their job correctly therefore making my job take longer and harder in order to be done right. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the fact that I was given freedom at times to do stuff that i felt needed to get done as well.
Pros
Getting a good look inside the electrical industry
Cons
Good pay and management made long hours bearable.
Sheet Metal Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 March 2017
I worked for B&M on a potash mine expansion in Saskatoon SK, it was a rewarding and overall enjoyable work experience, overtime during project crunch time was paid for without complaint.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black & McDonald Limited. Our community is ready to answer.