Black & McDonald Limited

Black & McDonald Limited Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent company to work for with exceptional culture and values!
Manager (Current Employee), TorontoJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Company culture and the people who work here!
Throughout my career at Black & McDonald I've had the opportunity to work on and be involved with several impactful projects and initiatives. I have experienced career development and have progressed through three different roles during my employment. Training and development opportunities have been made available to me to assist in advancement.

This successful company prides itself on a number of core values and a business philosophy which began many decades ago and has stood the test of time. It is unique in a sense of being a privately held Canadian company...still owned and operated by the McDonald family. Leaders at the company lead by example; their humble nature and approachable demeanor are inspiring and infectious!
Amazing employer!
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Compensation, training, work environment, corporate culture, co-workers
Great company that values its employees opinions, talents and knowledge. Lots of opportunities for growth, development and training. Both teamwork and the ability to work independently are valued. Lots of very skilled, friendly co-workers. Amazing incentives and very fair compensation, vacation and benefits are offered. Management/HR works to coach employees rather than condemn mistakes. Fantastic corporate culture and day-to-day work environment.
It's a job
Western Canada Project Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 9, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Long days, on call 24 hours/day 7 days/week
Underpaid for overall responsibilities expected with large contract. Expected to fund site visits out of pocket and expense back, sometimes with long wait times and incurring interest charges on personal charge card.
Too many shortcuts with OH&S
Construction Safety Officer (Former Employee), Shell Groundbirch Substation construction projectMay 28, 2015
Pros: Wages were very good, potential for a great culture is there, will need support from senior management
Cons: Ethically challenged, OH&S is a cost senior management are not willing to take.
Not committed to occupational health and safety. Senior management always taking shortcuts and exposing workers to injury hazards.

July 22, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. As a former employee, you’re likely aware that our top measure of success at Black & McDonald is responsibility to health, safety and the environment. We commit to the uncompromising safety of our employees, and I’m sorry to hear that you feel we didn’t live up to that promise during your time at Black & McDonald. While both our safety standards and our safety performance rank above industry average, rest assured that we are continuously working to improve safety standards and minimize workplace hazards.

Some really great people but overall lack of leadership and communication in the PGR.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Pickering/BowmanvilleMay 27, 2015
The PGR, in my opinion, grew too quickly without a plan. There was an extremely detrimental lack of communication and leadership. It was difficult to meet the client expectations; the client had high demands and was fairly rigid and PGR had no visible foundation upon which to conduct business and no consistent approach to service the client. My experience was restricted to EPC only.
Not a place to build a career
Corporate (Former Employee), ScarboroughMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Long company history
Cons: High turnover, low morale, mistrust
Can be a very good employer and corporate employees support each under very difficult situations. Genuine concern for well being between colleagues' and good intentioned line managers. Challenging office location for commuting. Collaborative and inclusive environment being promoted by management is in direct conflict with their actions. Very high employee turnover rate and low morale. HR was self-serving and unprofessional relationship with senior management led to an atmosphere of considerable mistrust. Everyone 'on pins and needles'. Eliminating HR role has led to marginal improvement however, continued low morale. Very limited career opportunities for such a large organization.
Great Learning Experience
Facility Maintenance Operations (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 4, 2015
Working in the Facility Maintenance Operations, everyday had different challenges. Being proactive in finding things throughout the building that needed repair, or having to preventative maintenance checks throughout the building.
Losing their way
CSG Employee (Former Employee), CSG ScarboroughMarch 3, 2015
Pros: colleagues
Cons: weak leadership
Very toxic environment. Leadership demonstrates very little integrity and considerable infighting amongst the senior managers. Salaries are subjective and unbalanced. No concern for career development. Co-workers are amiable, talented and desire change to improve environment. More professionalism is needed from leadership consistent with mission.
A good place to work ,
logistics (Former Employee), OttawaFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: too long to list
Utilities division of B+M , Dynamic with a very strong employee orientated environment . High level of job satisfaction
Excellent place to work
Office Manager/Project Coordination (Former Employee), ScarboroughOctober 28, 2014
Pros: busy environment
Loved the autonomy at this place - they let you do your job! Some of the management is suspect but all in all a great place to work.
No leadership
Mechanical Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 2, 2014
Pros: projects
Cons: people
No leadership - all business men trying to make money off trades backs
productive and fun
Project Estimator/Manager (Former Employee), ScarboroMay 7, 2014
Pros: good benefit and pension
Cons: long hours
very good company to work for
it was long time ago I worked for the company and I do not have more feed back now
Nice to work place
Electrical Estimator (Current Employee), toronto. onFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: supporting gas fee
Cons: long working hours
I am working on electrical estimation such as waste water treatment, hospital and hotels.
ENJOYABLE TEAM TO WORK WITH
Office Administrator (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONSeptember 26, 2013
very busy office
MS Office
excellent co-workers
time management skills
Labour intensive working on the trenching crew
Laborer (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONSeptember 12, 2013
It was a good paying job but had to spend too much time away from home. Only home on weekend.
I worked as a Chief Fire Inspector and covered the Southern Ontario region
Chief Fire Inspector/Safety Officer, (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2013
Pros: good compancy
Cons: travelling by car
I travelled around as this was a 60% travelling job conducting Fire /Life Safety inspection on goverment buildings. I learned that travelling on the road was very time consuming planning your trip was always interesting as it never worked due to weather or accidents. I worked mostly as a independed person other co- worker were cleaners and maintance staff person. I was considered to be part of the management team and it always worked very well. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the traffic in trying to arrive on time for a meeting. The best part of the job was when you finally got to the site it seemed that you could relax and enjoyed doing your job.
hard to play the game when you dont know the rules
Project Manager (Former Employee), reginaMarch 8, 2013
Pros: lots of flexibility in what you do in a day
Cons: when doing something, not knowing if you should be doing it. lack of leadership
great deal of time spent explaining actions to one of two bosses. 2 different styles and philosophy's creating an atmosphere of not knowing what to do and when to listen to which one.
Day to Day it is a good place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 13, 2012
Over all this is a good company to work for. There are many 15 year plus employees so getting into that 'club' seems to be difficult. Room for advancement is flat, it is a project driven model.
Best job I ever had aside from being self employed
Service Administrator (Former Employee), winnipeg manitobaOctober 15, 2012
Pros: all pros
Cons: no cons
GREAT place to work, staff friendly, lots to learn, nothing hard, totally enjoyable.

April 5, 2013

Must be a Canada thing. Definitely not the case in the USA.

Good project team
Project controller (Former Employee), Goldboro, NSAugust 18, 2012
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: low compensation
The team involved in the SOEP project were an excellent group wo I enjoyed working with.

About Black & McDonald Limited

In 1921, William J. McDonald and William R. Black formed Black & McDonald Limited, a partnership to engage in residential – Read more

Black & McDonald Limited Photos