Housing Outreach Worker (Homeless to Homes)
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for the right individual to fill the position of Housing Outreach Worker (Full time, 40hrs/week)
This is an exciting position reporting to the Manager of Homeless to Homes (H2H). H2H is based on the Housing First strategy which involves a focus on housing homeless people and then providing services in a client centered, solution focused manner.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Complete initial assessment to determine program eligibility, and intake successful participants into the program.
- Assist 4 – 6 individuals to attain permanent housing each month.
- Participant start up, which includes setting up third party rent payment, arranging furniture delivery, insurance, and utility hook ups, assistance with move in, assisting the participant in purchasing start up groceries, and transfer the participant to our Intensive Case Management team.
- Provide assistance with re-housing participants, purchasing and organizing participant start up kits, and develop/maintain relationships with landlords.
- Other duties as required.
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
- Post secondary degree with a minimum one year work experience in the field.
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with program participants, coworkers and volunteers.
- Demonstrate the ability to ensure quality services, and program development.
- Demonstrate competency in computer systems (Word, Excel, and database programs).
- A valid Driver’s License, satisfactory driver’s abstract and proof of $1 million PLPD insurance is required as operation of a personal vehicle is required.
- Experience working with high risk populations and an understanding of Aboriginal cultures, history and current issues.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by July 17th, 2013 to:
Team Leader, Homeless to Homes
10527 - 96 Street
Edmonton, AB T5H 2H6
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted