Adult Support Worker (Permanent Full-Time)
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals. For more information, please visit www.bissellcentre.org
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for the right individual to fill the position of Adult Support Worker. The key function of this position is to provide both emergency and on-going support for adults to enhance their ability to meet their basic needs and to live successfully within their community. Assistance provided includes crisis intervention, short-term support, follow-up, advocacy, information, referrals, outreach assistance and help with obtaining identification.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Provide flexible one-on-one support to adults depending on the needs of the individual. (ranging from one session in length to on-going support)
- Develop service plans with program participants and provide regular follow-up to support them in the achievement of their goals and objectives.
- Assist adults to access resources (e.g. housing, health care, etc.)
- Identify individuals who meet the requirements for AISH or other funding sources and provide support through the application and appeal process.
- Make appropriate referrals to health and community services and provide advocacy support services with, or on behalf of, individuals as needed.
- Assist participants with obtaining identification.
- Provide crisis intervention when needed by identifying the crisis, minimizing the harm to the individual and others, and assisting the individual to explore their option.
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with program partners and other community agencies.
- Provide coverage in the Robert Tegler Friendship Room as appropriate.
- Assist with other program activities and events as required, e.g. intake shifts and/or Moonlight Bay camps.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date written file notes, computer records, program information, and critical incident reports within established time standards
- Provide latest program information, updated statistics and good news stories as required
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor Degree or Diploma in Social Work, Rehabilitation Services or equivalent.
- Minimum 1 year relevant employment experience providing case work support with individuals facing mental health, addictions, chronic illness, homelessness, poverty and related challenges.
- Alberta Class 5 License.
- Strong written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills; result oriented, applied time management, strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel programs.
- Experience with Efforts to Outcomes case management software is considered an asset. * Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessness and Edmonton’s urban core.
- Familiarity working with high risk populations and an understanding of Aboriginal cultures, history and current issue.
We offer attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and working experience.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by Wednesday, 12 February 2014 to:
Interim Director, Community Programs & Services
10527 - 96 Street
Edmonton, AB T5H 2H6
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.e
Indeed - 5 months ago
Bissell Centre began as a Methodist mission in 1910, founded by the Reverend William Pike and his wife Florence. They worked from a...