Bissell Centre began as a Methodist mission in 1910, founded by the Reverend William Pike and his wife Florence. They worked from a storefront office on the Northwest corner of 96th Street and 103A Avenue, where the Police Station now stands. Programs originally offered included a Sunday School, social groups, and a Ukrainian Sunday Service to help Ukrainian immigrants settle into their new community. A Ukrainian newspaper was produced, English classes were provided, and a reading room was also available.
In 1919, the Pike Mission decided to work co-operatively with a newly-founded Presbyterian Mission called the McQueen Institute. After the United Church was formed in 1925, this co-operative effort was officially sanctioned and became know as the All People's Mission. The Mission operated a Camp, a Young People's Group, Children's Programs, and a Women's Auxiliary. It also ran church services in the Institute and at nearby churches, as well. The programs of the Mission were funded partially by The Red Feather Appeal, a predecessor of the United Way.
Throughout the 1920's the needs of the people changed, and the All People's Mission responded by offering new services. Funded jointly by the Methodist and Presbyterian Churches (and later the United Church), youth programs, a kindergarten, a mothers' group, summer schools and a summer camp began operation. And, as services expanded, so did the number of people using the Mission's services. – less–ZoomInfo