BIRD CONSTRUCTION Employee Reviews

bird construction
Senior skilled labourer (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC7 October 2016
I found bird construction was good employment there was room to stay on and people were friendly and workers were a unit. I felt some assets were not used to full potential and management was at times short sighted. but consistently one of the managing parties would listen.
Pros
staff was treated after hard work
Great work experience, friendly foremen
Cementing and rebar, labourer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 October 2016
Easy to understand the job at hand.
All safety measures taken seriously.
Team work.
Heavy rewarding work.
Willing to work for again.
It is a Jungle
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2016
No work life balance - Don't make you loyal at all - paying as any other company.
Management don't listen to you ... just hurry and running with no room for any improvement.
Great place to work, lots of highly experienced management to learn from.
HSE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alberta8 March 2016
Bird Construction was my favorite company to work for, they practice what they preach, no "BS".
Pay was on the high side with a raise in the first few months and a bonus before I worked there a full year.
Really good safety program, a lot of time and effort went into that program.

All in all a very fair respectable company to work for....no complaints here.
Pros
Full time, always had some overtime, 10 on 4 off rotation was nice.
Cons
majority of the work is out of town
Productive people orientated company
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2016
A typical day consisted of reviewing supplier and subcontractor invoices, applying appropriate codes, and entering them into Viewpoint software. I would also submit invoices to clients, and track their status via phone or email.

I learned basic accounts payable and receivable duties, creating subcontracts, and organizational skills.

Upper management was always very friendly and supporting. Direct management was helpful and accommodating.

The co-workers were very friendly and always willing to help if needed.

The hardest part of the job was balancing multiple Project Managers and construction projects.

The most enjoyable part was my co-workers. They were very friendly and were always organizing lunch activities such as baseball or BBQ lunches.
Pros
Very employee orientated company. Appropriate wages and benefits.
Cons
Success based on oil prices
This company is very loyal to employees and family culture
Apprentice Carpenter/Carpenter/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2016
Great company to work for.
The management is very involved in finding the right people for the right roll.
Family/life balance is very important to the company and is part of there core values.
Large diversity of jobs some mainly in the oil related fields so work can be up and down.
Unionized workers creates a competitive free work environment.
Pros
great employee recognition program
Cons
lots of out of town work
Very enjoyable working there - lots of good people - lots of variety
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC5 November 2015
I enjoyed working at Bird very much. I enjoyed the people working there. I had a lot of variety in my job and they were flexible with my hours. If I needed a day off I could get it.
Pros
Free lunches and Xmas parties
Cons
Manager was confusing sometimes
Safety Coordinator
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 September 2015
Implemented Health & Safety Policies & Procedures.
Executed root cause analysis for accident & Incident Investigations.
Applied OH&S principles and safe work practices.
Implemented modified work programs and worked with WCB.
Conducted safety audits, risk analysis and provided recommendations.
Conducted site & employee orientation and safety training seminars.
Pros
New Mine Site
Cons
None to report
Very exciting job as a coordinator for Bird Construction.
Project / Quality Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 November 2015
A typical day at work would include coordination meetings, construction and commissioning review, quality control and assurance duties and integrated problem-solving for construction issues.
Good crew get along well
SKILLED LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BC29 September 2015
Busy steady work, learnt new things helping other trades in the company, bosses kept the crew going, always have something to do, when they have nothing for he right job, pizza day was a treat at the end of the week
Pros
Water, and the pizza every week
Cons
short work pierods, and hours
it was a very nice job
Construction Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2015
it was Avery nice work and I like to work with them again I I het another opportunity I use to work a so many deferent employees and it was fun to work with them but the project finish after 8 months that I work with them
Demanding Harsh Environment
Union Job Steward and General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 August 2015
This was a difficult labour intensive job in the Oil Sands. We worked 11 hour days each day, sometimes in -30 conditions. The money was good, but this is definitely not a job for everyone.
Pros
good pay
Cons
2 weeks away from home
UBC student union building (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, B.C. UBC28 February 2015
I enjoyed the experience i got from Bird Construction. It prepared me for the trades and gave me valuable experience that will better me in the future as i work on job sites.

A typical day at work was maintaining a clean work site, helping carpenters carrying material that they needed.

Nothing was really too hard, or something that stood out as the hardest part of the job. I just do what needs to be done and keep a positive outlook.
Different tasks daily and not treated well.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2015
There was always a different task to do and it was all very labor intensive. I learned how big construction projects (Wal-Mart Superstore) are done. My co-workers were very helpful when needed and I was always available to aide them when needed. Management really did not care about their employees, as far as they were concerned we were expendable.
Fun place to work at
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB20 July 2012
Bird Construction Company is one of Canada’s leading General Contractors and is recognized for its strong commitment to the growth and prosperity of both our clients and our people. Bird Construction Company was founded as a small partnership in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan in 1920. Today, we are a highly respected company, operating across Canada.

Primary responsibilities for this role include monitoring compliance with the Bird HSE Program with employees and subcontractors. You will be required to conduct investigations as appropriate and complete related documentation

great place to work! if you love to travel outside the city this companies will give you the opportunity to move around from one project to another
Pros
travel expense paid for flight, taxi included
Great Company to work for .
Cement Mason (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 August 2013
I enjoyed working in town for this job at the water treatment plant, they are a good company to work for ,management were great easy to get along with as my co-workers were. We would start the day with a safety meeting then were assigned our tasks for the day which mine were pouring and finishing of concrete structures and packing , .Being able to get home not to late.
Pros
in town
excellent place to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Red Earth15 March 2015
Too bad they hired too many men for the project I was working on , that's why I was cut short as well as many other men were .Although I was cut short , I still had a good experience working for them .
Pros
The camp was really nice
Cons
they cut the wrong guys - the real workers should have stayed
Very great people to work with
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 March 2015
I had a great experience working with Bird Construction, it gave me an opportunity to work with well experienced men. Hardest part of the job was jack hammering but I enjoyed it despite the physical labor.
Productive, but watch out what you do and what you say
Safety Lead/Advisor (Former Employee) –  Imperial Oil Kearl lake site16 December 2014
Always busy days of work
Do the job correctly do not relay on co-worker
Some how good
Coworker were OK in general
Communication
dealing with workers on field, and incidents investigation
Great company
Cement Finisher/Mason (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, Alberta16 February 2015
Liked working at this company. It was out of province for me but it was a great experience. The job was good and I learned some new techniques in safety.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
Away from family