BIG SMOKE BURGER Employee Reviews

Fast paced environment with Fun management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North York, ON19 June 2017
I was at the York location for a few months as a cashier. Everyone here was very nice. I'd come in at 11am and stay until 6ish. Management wasn't bad. The supervisor training me was very kind, and patient with me. The hardest part for me was catching on so I left. it was enjoyable while i lasted.

jen
Pros
50 percent off
Cons
training was hard.
Terrible management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  York Mills, ON30 March 2017
I worked at the York mills location. Management sucks, I would definitely not advise anyone to work there. Supervisor and manager were in a relationship together so they would basically team up on everyone and boss us around. Not cool.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Poor management
Good people/Bad management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2017
A typical day for me would be coming in opening up the store, putting away our Sysco order and making sure everything is there. Didn't gain much knowledge from the job itself more from the people i worked with. management could be a joke at times but for the most part it was kept professional. Most difficult part of the job would be me having to cut others hours in order to keep our labor percentage down which meant at times i would close by myself in the back with one FOH, which meant if we got a rush we would be pretty screwed. The most enjoyable part of my day there was interacting with my co workers.
Terribly run business
Part-time Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON3 March 2017
The management at big smoke burger was terrible, he seems to not know at all how to run a business smoothly. The other employees all talk behind each others backs and slack off. The materials used to store certain foods and containers holding utensils are completely disgusting with sitting water and starch from the potatoes.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Poorly Managed
Good working environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 January 2017
Fun place to work , good staff and only problem is few hours of work . clean invoronment , good manager and excellent food on the menu
Big quality ingredients used and also value for money may not be met
fun place to work
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 January 2017
the workplace is always clean, other employees easy to get along with, interacting with the customers is very fun, learning peoples taste when they ask for their burger
Great highschool job
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON11 January 2017
Typical work day at Big smoke would be coming in at 9:30 and cutting potato's and getting ready for the day ahead. when it got busy I would work on the line as the expediter.
Fast-paced work place with great co-workers and management.
Grill Cook (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 January 2017
Big Smoke Burger was a great place to work for me as it is conveniently located on campus so the work/school life balance worked out well. Management and co-workers make the job easier as well.
Summary
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON4 November 2016
I would arrive to work in uniform and prepared to do my job which included tending to customers as soon as possible. I ensured that the work area would be clean and organized in order to fully carry out my duties.
Fun and very friendly enviorment
Employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 September 2016
Its a really nice place to work at there are a lot of nice people and caring. i have learned a lot of thing working here like how ti interact with guests and the people we work with
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
short hours
Horrible management & negative environment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
One of the worst jobs I've ever worked at .... I worked at the eaton Center location.
excessive work
2 - 4 hours a day even tho your full time
negative environment
unfriendly employees who also do not like each other
manager needs a hobby (janice) because she's always on someone's case and repeats herself like 50 times Jeez we heard you the first time ... on top of that has a monotoned voice that could put the mute to sleep ! But wants people to listen to her??? So how do you expect the employees to listen ??????? (I can see why the poor girl still works in fast food and will probably continue to do so)
Pros
non
Cons
excessive work not even part time hours negative environment
It *was* a decent job
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 February 2016
It really is just another minimum wage fast food job. The only way to advance or get ahead is if someone at a higher level in your store quits, except for manager. They'll just bring in a manager from another store instead of promoting someone who's been at the store for a few years.

The only reason I'm still here is because I haven't found another job yet, and I like being able to pay rent and live where I live.
Cons
split shifts, your entire day is spent at Big Smoke Burger.
Great management which motivates you to work
GRILL COOK (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2016
Managers thought me a lot working at Big smoke burger, managers kept their workers motivated and make sure we are always happy which make love our job even more. Great co-workers which makes the job easier for everyone
it was fun working at this place, awesome atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 December 2015
Well, during the morning shifts , i usually start off with the prep work, make sure everything is fine and check the par level. After that i would do pre work meetings to tell my employees what they have to upsell and whats their sales tartget for the day
Pros
free meal
Great Place
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 November 2015
It is a great company to work for, but I would like to work in a field where I can learn more for what I went to college for.

The company is very fair. When I finished school they allowed me full time hours until I can find a job in the field for what I went to college for.
A Great Environment
OWNER & OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Square One13 October 2015
Fast paced gourmet food industry. Great team spirit and it is easy to sell food that you see made right before your eyes.

Great feedback as the management is engaged
Learn all positions in a short period of time.
Holidays are super busy and super fun.
Pros
Great Employee Discounts
It is an okay place to work, nothing too exciting but also not too boring
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-lake11 July 2015
It was an okay job experience. I didn't get to work there long because the shifts didn't work well with my other job so I had to quit. Other than that It was okay.
Pros
Standard break
Cons
shift hours
A solid work environment selling gourmet food.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2015
Great place to work, fun atmosphere and a great opportunity to be a part of an ever growing company. A typical day goes as follows: walk in, greet your co-workers working that same shift. Prepare what ever foods need to be stored and process a couple boxes of potatoes(Big Smoke cuts their fries on-site, another plus). Serve hungry customers, clean, sterilize and make sure the restaurant is in good order for closing.
Pros
Lots of free food
Cons
No incentives for long term employees, such as scholarships, etc.
Effective and Friendly Employee Team
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 June 2015
Very fast paced, friendly and open atmosphere. Employees work as a team to try to give customers the best experience. Interactive and engaging customers is a goal for every employee. Along with maintaining the image and quality of the fresh food coming from the store.
Pros
50% Discount, Great Employees
Cons
Occasional Equipment Malfunctions
Well managed and positive staff atmosphere
Cook (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 January 2015
Working at Big Smoke has been awesome. Although there isn't much room to advance and the pay is obviously minimum wage, the management and the awesome staff make up for the former mentioned. Unlike other fast food restaurants, this one has adults running the place which keeps the drama and laziness to a minimum. I've only had one problem with one employee and we settled it like adults. The company doesn't understand enough about food safety and cross contamination but I'm sure they will learn as they continue to grow.
Pros
Great staff, 50% discount, Great management
Cons
Food safety procedures not fully enforced