Big Brothers Big Sisters Sea to Sky Corridor
Part time permanent (28 hrs / week)
Big Brothers Big Sisters is a division of Big Brothers Greater Vancouver. Our mission is to enhance children’s social and emotional development by delivering and advocating for the highest quality, prevention-based mentoring programs. As a member of our program team you provide assessment, training, monitoring and support to volunteers and the families specifically working in the school programs in Squamish.
Reporting to the Program Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Supervising and monitoring matches between adult and teen volunteer mentors and children to ensure Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada’s National Standards are maintained and the safety of children is upheld
- Assessment and screening of potential volunteers both teen and adult.
- Delivering pre-match training to parents/guardians, children, and volunteers
- Matching adult and teen volunteers with children to ensure positive mentoring relationships are formed
- Maintaining accurate family and volunteer file records. Ensuring that all required documentation is complete.
- Establish and maintain relationships with schools in the community
- Act as a liaison between BBGV and BBBS Sea to Sky, community agencies and stake holders
- Discussing client planning and concerns with the Program Team
- Facilitating skill development among volunteers e.g. training sessions
- Facilitating volunteer information sessions.
- Engaging volunteers, families and school staff in problem solving processes where required
- Evaluating the effectiveness of service delivery programs
- Supporting other Program staff in their Program Delivery as required
- Submit monthly caseload statistics
- Participate in other agency functions and activities as requested.
Education, Training and Experience
- You MUST have a diploma / degree in social work, family studies or other related field as per National Standards. All others will not be considered so please do not apply unless you meet this criteria
- Appropriate experience in the social services sector in the Sea to Sky preferably related to mentoring
- Experience working within a school based environment
- Knowledge of mentoring theory, principles, and practices
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently
- Problem-solving ability, resourcefulness and resilience
- Strong interpersonal and group facilitation skills
- Strong net-working & relationship-building skills: must have the ability to work cooperatively with staff, volunteers and associated non-profit or publicly funded groups, agencies and organizations
- Knowledge of child abuse prevention
- The candidate will preferably have the ability to speak French a second language
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office, Outlook and databases
- Flexibility is essential to this position and some evening and weekend work is required
You will be required to abide by the Code of Ethics as set out by the British Columbia Association of Social Workers. You will be required to work outside normal office hours, depending on the time availability of volunteers. Use of your own vehicle is required.
If you have the above mentioned qualifications, please submit your cover letter, resume and 3 references quoting ‘Mentoring Coordinator Position’ in the subject line.
Send application to:
Ann Marie McKenzie
Deadline; January 6, 2013
NO PHONE CALLS please. We appreciate your interest and we will contact suitable applicants to schedule an interview.
Big Brothers Big Sisters Sea to Sky Corridor is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage the application of all qualified applicants.