Bethany Care Society Employee Reviews

Productive place with good benefits.
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2016
A typical day at work in Bethany Care Society was when me and my partner were transferring a Resident from bed to the wheelchair with a ceiling lift. At a point during the transfer, the lift stopped working, and the Resident was still hanging up on the lift, we remained calm so that the Resident would not notice or feel any problem, but I gave my partner sign to rush and call our supervisor. Our supervisor rushed in immediately and assisted us in rescuing the situation.

From that incidence, I learnt that it's a always very important to have two or more persons assistance when you are doing transfer with a mechanical lift. Secondly, nobody should raise any panic when there is any dangerous situation so that Residents would not be scared.

Bethany has very good management. The interests of the staff, Residents and family is always considered at equilibrium by the management.

Co-workers are very good team spirited, and always protect each other.

The hardest part of this job, to me particularly, is always having to welcome new Residents, To me, it is hard because, it takes compassion, patience and empathy to get the new Residents settle in the Facility which is their new home. it is hard though, but the feelings are very much welcomed by me.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I find new Residents happily settled and participates in most of the activities they were enjoying during their youthful lives as well as in their old homes. .
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Heavy duties.
It has a low moral and management does not support this.
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2016
I really enjoy working the night shift with my coworkers because we get along and support each other. I do not have much difficulty working on the unit because I have upgraded my skills as a Health unit Coordinator and find that these skills carry me through my shifts. As far a the management there does not seem to be anyone in particular to go to and sometimes even if you do go to your manager you don't get any support from them. I have learned much at the Bethany Care Society on my own and a typical day would be starting my shift with report and taking care of the residents on that unit. We do rounds every hour on the hour and answer call bells throughout the night. We change residents, reposition them and assist them to the washroom.
good place and good people
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB11 May 2016
There is a feeling that you are part of a great team of people whom are not only there for the clients,but for all they are around. I learned very many things from other members of the team. The management was awesome, helpful in any way they could and my co-workers were so nice. They welcomed me and made my work placement so very enjoyable. The hardest part of this job is not being able to do more for the clients. Most enjoyable is seeing a client happy and knowing that we were a contributing factor in helping that outcome.
Pros
great people
Cons
it was nice and great to volunteer at bethany
bethany care college side (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB4 November 2016
working at Bethany with the seniors was an amazing experience,i learnt humility from them and the most enjoyable part was playing guitar for them
Wonderful Company
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB25 May 2016
Working for Bethany care was one of the best job experience I have had. All of the nurses and care attendants were awesome to work with everyone always put in extra effort to work together as a team - I enjoyed going to work everyday - and seeing my residence everyday was a new challenge. The hardest part of my job was having to say goodbye to my team As I had to move out of Province
Good values, but old school managers, and poor pay.
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Corporate30 July 2013
Worked in a corporate position. The workload was not too bad, but there was little opportunity to learn new things/professional development. Also, senior management makes knee-jerk decisions and does not communicate them well to the corporate staff who often have to implement them, and thus bear the brunt of the impact/employee complaints and frustration. They need to clean house at the very upper levels.

The salaries were WELL below market for corporate staff but competitive for front line health care staff, which is kind off irksome if you work in corporate (about 100 positions). Also, there is no performance pay.
Pros
Good values, good work-life balance.
Cons
Poor pay, poor management.
Fulfilling and satisfying kind of work..
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  sylvan lake1 September 2015
Working in bethany is one of the most rewarding experiences in life..pleasant co-workers,good management..its nice to be with our grannies and elderly as they lift up your spirit internally by giving quality care...
Pros
good health benifits
Cons
lack of education for upgrading some new procedures
Any normal person would never want to work there.
Health Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2015
A job at Bethany is perfect for anyone who is totally and utterly useless.
These skills would likely be noticed and you'd be fast-tracked into a Management or Human Resources position to work with your peers.
Pros
McDonalds pays more
Cons
Poor wages, staff cutbacks & reductions to part time status, claw back of Shift Differential and Weekend Differential.....
Horrible place to work
health care (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 January 2016
Stay away if you can. Horrible place I feel bad for the residents that get treated poorly and if you stand up for them you get in trouble. There's so much drama and cattiness within Bethany it's pathetic!
Pros
The residents are amazing
Cons
Stay clear of this work environment. Corporate office is an unhappy place to work with extremely low employee satisfaction.
admin (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2015
Everyday I went to work I worried what would happen bad tbat day or would I get talked about behind my back. I still think about this workplace and feel stress and sadness. Avoid it if you can. Senior management and HR are part of the problem and not helpful.
Pros
helping seniors
Cons
corporate culture is very bad. just do your work and get out quick to avoid getting in trouble.
A sweatshop for employees and run by poor Managers
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Calgary,Alberta14 January 2014
The workforce is constantly reduced and the workload increased.
For this you are paid a low wage,led by poor Management protecting their jobs.
Thankfully,the staff truly cares for the Residents and helps them so much.But the poor working conditions creates such a huge turnover in staff.
This is a place where,when it rains and the snow melts,5-gallon pails are put out all over the place to collect the water from the leaking roofs and windows.It's a pity the Accreditation committee didn't arrive on a rainy day!!
Lay off some more staff and build another Boardroom to discuss the problem.That's the solution.
Pros
There are none
Cons
Poor pay, a heavy workload, no job security, low morale everywhere, lousy Management
Stay Away if you can!!!!
RN (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 December 2015
Stay away from this work place if you can. If this is the only job on earth and you need to feed your family, then may be ok. But otherwise stay away. Bad HR, bad management, internal chaos, and poor working condition. So long story short, please stay away! I feel for the residents that have to suffer.
Pros
Cons
Plain bad workplace.
Poor quality
Poor quality to treat the workers (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB12 November 2015
This company it's the worst. Make sure to find a job a place that you feel welcome, not like Bethany sylvan lake. Know one likes to work in there because the way they treat the stuff and it's poor. They never happy even if you pick up shifts they don't recognize what you are doing for them. Even if you do ur best working in there, they don't care and if you make a mistake to become a friend with the resident they can they can fire you for that reason.
If you work in there ....make sure yes do your job and don't talk, or don't be to friendly. !!!
That's too bad that they fire people with out finding out exactly what happened.
Practicom
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  North West Calgary15 March 2016
I just only work at Bethany Care Society for 5 weeks as student.I find it exciting to be part of that company.
The staff are nice and I love to be with the elder and senior people.This is what I love to do , to give a quality care for them.
fun loving place
Health Care Provider (Former Employee) –  calgary, canada27 April 2015
when i get to work in every day, i make sure that everything is organized, get the report to the previous staff so that i wont miss anything during my shift. i learned that when you are happy to your job and cared most to your co-workers and workplace, you will accomplish something to your lifestyle that will make it easy for you in everyday. The hardest is when people brings their problem at work and it affects a lot of aspects at work. The most enjoyable is when people acknowledge your work load and you accomplish something that will improve your career, and i enjoyed when staff are sometimes having fun.
Excellent company to work for.
Housing Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2015
Diversity of clients was amazing. No day was the same as the last.
Hardest part of job was communicating with people who had English as second language. Very challenging, however rewarding when communication succeeded.

Most enjoyable and interesting were the residents.
The support and caring from the CEO all the way down to the on site staff.
Will always be grateful to all of those individuals.
Pros
Gave credit when credit was warrented, very much appreciated.
Cons
Lean budgets
helping residents with ADL
Casual HCA (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB2 December 2015
the staff was wonderful to work with, and hours where easy enough to come by. residents where a delight to work with and very appreciative of any and all help they received
Enjoyed atmosphere and learning experience
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2015
enjoyed the atmosphere and cooperation with my fellow
co-workers. It was a great learning experience and environment.
the facilities were professionally maintained .
Compassionate and supportive workplace
Medical Office Assistant & Senior Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 April 2015
I absolutely loved working for Bethany. The amount of support given to me during my first few months there was incomparable to other previous employers. The staff was friendly and felt like a real team. Wage and benefits were outstanding.
This is a very toxic work environment
management (Current Employee) –  head office, Calgary21 July 2014
Corporate services head office is a difficult work environment going through some very big changes including a new CEO. There is significant staff turnover and it is not a pleasant place to work. HR practices seem outdated and not supportive of employees.
Pros
some really dedicated staff
Cons
long hours, very little support, ineffective leadership, lots of stress, low pay

2.8