Bethany Care Society

Bethany Care Society Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Love looking after and caring for the elderly
Health Care Aide (Current Employee), Cochrane, ABSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: smiles from the residents
Cons: not enough hours in the day
For the past four years, I have enjoyed looking after the elderly, treating them as if they were my family.
Not a fun place to work
administration (Current Employee), Bethany Care SocietyAugust 12, 2014
Pros: i like the families and residents
Cons: too many big egos and ineffective leaders who don't seem to care about their staff.
I definitely agree with others who have posted that morale is a HUGE issue at Bethany. Not sure what the problem is but it seems to start from the top and work it's way down. If you can stay out of site and don't get noticed you are safe from the craziness.

Not a place I would be wanting to start a new job but for those who have been here for a long – more... time, they have built a support network and that helps make the job bearable. – less
This is a very toxic work environment
management (Current Employee), head office, CalgaryJuly 21, 2014
Pros: some really dedicated staff
Cons: long hours, very little support, ineffective leadership, lots of stress, low pay
Corporate services head office is a difficult work environment going through some very big changes including a new CEO. There is significant staff turnover and it is not a pleasant place to work. HR practices seem outdated and not supportive of employees.
Good environment
Therapeutic Recreation Aid-Student Summer Position (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 6, 2014
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: not enough nurses
Working there was good experience and a good opportunity. My coworkers were very kind and patient with me and showed me around. My supervisor and I got along as I would follow her instructions and she would let me plan activities. I did not have any big problems I could not fix with the residents living there.
I enjoyed working there.
A sweatshop for employees and run by poor Managers
Maintenance (Current Employee), Calgary,AlbertaJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: there are none
Cons: poor pay, a heavy workload, no job security, low morale everywhere, lousy management
The workforce is constantly reduced and the workload increased.
For this you are paid a low wage,led by poor Management protecting their jobs.
Thankfully,the staff truly cares for the Residents and helps them so much.But the poor working conditions creates such a huge turnover in staff.
This is a place where,when it rains and the snow melts,5-gallon – more... pails are put out all over the place to collect the water from the leaking roofs and windows.It's a pity the Accreditation committee didn't arrive on a rainy day!!
Lay off some more staff and build another Boardroom to discuss the problem.That's the solution. – less
Flexible, Helping, Supportive, Team Oriented
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaDecember 13, 2013
- I love the challenges and busyness of the position.
- I assist two Directors and have acquired an organized and timely system to make sure all their needs are met daily
- I sent out a daily guideline of what I am doing so that we can priortize and see what timeline we have everyday
- I was only given one day of training and have learned the job quickly – more... and to my satisfaction that helps in getting the job done efficiently
- I love the multi-tasking and not knowing what is going to come my way each day to make the job exciting and ever changing
- I am only here on a 2 mth contract through an agency but the duties it is teaching me and the principle and respect of the organization are contributing greatly to my background – less
Sad eye opening example of the conditions our seniors are forced to endure
Management (Former Employee), AlbertaOctober 18, 2013
Pros: caring staff
Cons: inadequate support for staff, improper allocation of resources
A 3 dressed up as a 9. The public face does not reflect the reality of seniors reeking of urine, spaghetti served for Christmas dinner, staff underpaid and overworked, bare-bones recreation programs.
Unit Clerk - Bethany care Society
Unit Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 5, 2013
Enjoyed working and learned new things. Good management. Worked in different floors as a casual worker.
Rewarding helping those in need of assistance
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: seeing people smile
Cons: shift work
Getting resident ready for their day. Bathing, dental care etc. helping with eaiting and walking... charting residents progress.
Good values, but old school managers, and poor pay.
Human Resources (Former Employee), CorporateJuly 30, 2013
Pros: good values, good work-life balance.
Cons: poor pay, poor management.
Worked in a corporate position. The workload was not too bad, but there was little opportunity to learn new things/professional development. Also, senior management makes knee-jerk decisions and does not communicate them well to the corporate staff who often have to implement them, and thus bear the brunt of the impact/employee complaints and frustration. – more... They need to clean house at the very upper levels.

The salaries were WELL below market for corporate staff but competitive for front line health care staff, which is kind off irksome if you work in corporate (about 100 positions). Also, there is no performance pay. – less

About Bethany Care Society

For over half a century, Bethany has been improving the lives of Alberta seniors and adults with disabilities by providing housing, – Read more

Bethany Care Society Photos