Bethany Care Society

Bethany Care Society Employee Reviews

Flexible, Helping, Supportive, Team Oriented
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaDecember 13, 2013
- I love the challenges and busyness of the position.
- I assist two Directors and have acquired an organized and timely system to make sure all their needs are met daily
- I sent out a daily guideline of what I am doing so that we can priortize and see what timeline we have everyday
- I was only given one day of training and have learned the job quickly and to my satisfaction that helps in getting the job done efficiently
- I love the multi-tasking and not knowing what is going to come my way each day to make the job exciting and ever changing
- I am only here on a 2 mth contract through an agency but the duties it is teaching me and the principle and respect of the organization are contributing greatly to my background
A sweatshop for employees and run by poor Managers
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Calgary,AlbertaJanuary 14, 2014
The workforce is constantly reduced and the workload increased.
For this you are paid a low wage,led by poor Management protecting their jobs.
Thankfully,the staff truly cares for the Residents and helps them so much.But the poor working conditions creates such a huge turnover in staff.
This is a place where,when it rains and the snow melts,5-gallon pails are put out all over the place to collect the water from the leaking roofs and windows.It's a pity the Accreditation committee didn't arrive on a rainy day!!
Lay off some more staff and build another Boardroom to discuss the problem.That's the solution.
Pros
there are none
Cons
poor pay, a heavy workload, no job security, low morale everywhere, lousy management
Good values, but old school managers, and poor pay.
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  CorporateJuly 30, 2013
Worked in a corporate position. The workload was not too bad, but there was little opportunity to learn new things/professional development. Also, senior management makes knee-jerk decisions and does not communicate them well to the corporate staff who often have to implement them, and thus bear the brunt of the impact/employee complaints and frustration. They need to clean house at the very upper levels.

The salaries were WELL below market for corporate staff but competitive for front line health care staff, which is kind off irksome if you work in corporate (about 100 positions). Also, there is no performance pay.
Pros
good values, good work-life balance.
Cons
poor pay, poor management.
Not a fun place to work
administration (Current Employee) –  Bethany Care SocietyAugust 12, 2014
I definitely agree with others who have posted that morale is a HUGE issue at Bethany. Not sure what the problem is but it seems to start from the top and work it's way down. If you can stay out of site and don't get noticed you are safe from the craziness.

Not a place I would be wanting to start a new job but for those who have been here for a long time, they have built a support network and that helps make the job bearable.
Pros
i like the families and residents
Cons
too many big egos and ineffective leaders who don't seem to care about their staff.
Poor quality
Poor quality to treat the workers (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, ABNovember 12, 2015
This company it's the worst. Make sure to find a job a place that you feel welcome, not like Bethany sylvan lake. Know one likes to work in there because the way they treat the stuff and it's poor. They never happy even if you pick up shifts they don't recognize what you are doing for them. Even if you do ur best working in there, they don't care and if you make a mistake to become a friend with the resident they can they can fire you for that reason.
If you work in there ....make sure yes do your job and don't talk, or don't be to friendly. !!!
That's too bad that they fire people with out finding out exactly what happened.
fun loving place
Health Care Provider (Former Employee) –  calgary, canadaApril 27, 2015
when i get to work in every day, i make sure that everything is organized, get the report to the previous staff so that i wont miss anything during my shift. i learned that when you are happy to your job and cared most to your co-workers and workplace, you will accomplish something to your lifestyle that will make it easy for you in everyday. The hardest is when people brings their problem at work and it affects a lot of aspects at work. The most enjoyable is when people acknowledge your work load and you accomplish something that will improve your career, and i enjoyed when staff are sometimes having fun.
Stay clear of this work environment. Corporate office is an unhappy place to work with extremely low employee satisfaction.
admin (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 15, 2015
Everyday I went to work I worried what would happen bad tbat day or would I get talked about behind my back. I still think about this workplace and feel stress and sadness. Avoid it if you can. Senior management and HR are part of the problem and not helpful.
Pros
helping seniors
Cons
corporate culture is very bad. just do your work and get out quick to avoid getting in trouble.
Excellent company to work for.
Housing Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2015
Diversity of clients was amazing. No day was the same as the last.
Hardest part of job was communicating with people who had English as second language. Very challenging, however rewarding when communication succeeded.

Most enjoyable and interesting were the residents.
The support and caring from the CEO all the way down to the on site staff.
Will always be grateful to all of those individuals.
Pros
Gave credit when credit was warrented, very much appreciated.
Cons
Lean budgets
Any normal person would never want to work there.
Health Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 30, 2015
A job at Bethany is perfect for anyone who is totally and utterly useless.
These skills would likely be noticed and you'd be fast-tracked into a Management or Human Resources position to work with your peers.
Pros
McDonalds pays more
Cons
Poor wages, staff cutbacks & reductions to part time status, claw back of Shift Differential and Weekend Differential.....
Good environment
Therapeutic Recreation Aid-Student Summer Position (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 6, 2014
Working there was good experience and a good opportunity. My coworkers were very kind and patient with me and showed me around. My supervisor and I got along as I would follow her instructions and she would let me plan activities. I did not have any big problems I could not fix with the residents living there.
I enjoyed working there.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
not enough nurses
Stay Away if you can!!!!
RN (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 8, 2015
Stay away from this work place if you can. If this is the only job on earth and you need to feed your family, then may be ok. But otherwise stay away. Bad HR, bad management, internal chaos, and poor working condition. So long story short, please stay away! I feel for the residents that have to suffer.
Pros
Cons
Plain bad workplace.
Fulfilling and satisfying kind of work..
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  sylvan lakeSeptember 1, 2015
Working in bethany is one of the most rewarding experiences in life..pleasant co-workers,good management..its nice to be with our grannies and elderly as they lift up your spirit internally by giving quality care...
Pros
good health benifits
Cons
lack of education for upgrading some new procedures
This is a very toxic work environment
management (Current Employee) –  head office, CalgaryJuly 21, 2014
Corporate services head office is a difficult work environment going through some very big changes including a new CEO. There is significant staff turnover and it is not a pleasant place to work. HR practices seem outdated and not supportive of employees.
Pros
some really dedicated staff
Cons
long hours, very little support, ineffective leadership, lots of stress, low pay
Sad eye opening example of the conditions our seniors are forced to endure
Management (Former Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 18, 2013
A 3 dressed up as a 9. The public face does not reflect the reality of seniors reeking of urine, spaghetti served for Christmas dinner, staff underpaid and overworked, bare-bones recreation programs.
Pros
caring staff
Cons
inadequate support for staff, improper allocation of resources
Compassionate and supportive workplace
Medical Office Assistant & Senior Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 9, 2015
I absolutely loved working for Bethany. The amount of support given to me during my first few months there was incomparable to other previous employers. The staff was friendly and felt like a real team. Wage and benefits were outstanding.
Horrible place to work
health care (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJanuary 7, 2016
Stay away if you can. Horrible place I feel bad for the residents that get treated poorly and if you stand up for them you get in trouble. There's so much drama and cattiness within Bethany it's pathetic!
Pros
The residents are amazing
Cons
Love looking after and caring for the elderly
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, ABSeptember 14, 2014
For the past four years, I have enjoyed looking after the elderly, treating them as if they were my family.
Pros
smiles from the residents
Cons
not enough hours in the day
Rewarding helping those in need of assistance
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 11, 2013
Getting resident ready for their day. Bathing, dental care etc. helping with eaiting and walking... charting residents progress.
Pros
seeing people smile
Cons
shift work
helping residents with ADL
Casual HCA (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, ABDecember 2, 2015
the staff was wonderful to work with, and hours where easy enough to come by. residents where a delight to work with and very appreciative of any and all help they received
A nice working environment
Health Care Aide Practicum (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 31, 2015
There is a balance between employees and seniors and their interaction provides an atmosphere which enhances the philosophy of care, welfare, safety, security and confidentiality.

2.9