Bethany Care Society Employee Reviews

Workplace is very warm and welcoming.
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2017
I learned helping in moving and out of beds,baths and other specific issues.
Maintain safe,secure and friendly client environment by following Health Care Aide plan.
The hardest part of the job is to leave the resident when your done the practicum.And the most enjoyable part of the job is when i am doing story telling that makes them happy and having a good conversation with my resident.
Decent place, hard work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB, Red Deer, AB19 May 2017
It can be devastating to work with people at end of life and I have a lot of respect for those who work here. There can be sloppiness among health care aides, often due to time restraints and understaffing.
Pros
Great people, great connections
Cons
Long hours, disgusting conditions at times
Bethany Care is a terrible disfuntional place to work
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary26 March 2017
CEO and top Management need to be replaced. they are not in a position where they can truly help and understand employees . Too many women in Management with know heart. Dirty looks are given out all the time to staff just doing there jobs. The Company has know morels and staff are constantly worried about loosing there jobs.

Management care little about the residents I would not trust them with my dog let alone my loved one. Lots of complaints on how residences are being treated. Management just turns a blind eye to all of this. To bad Accreditation was not able to see this. However Management was on there best behavior when they were here. Staff was rewarded for all there hard work with a cookie. Not even a smile from Management who took all the credit and did nothing to achieve this.
Pros
There are none
Cons
Not a happy place to work
staff are friendly and supportive
RAI assessor/LPN (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
staff are very welcoming to new hires, teach very well but some nurses are not all that competent making it hard to work with them
Glad to NOT work here anymore
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 January 2017
Horrible management throughout the yrs, never got better. No support from management and try taking holidays in the summer.. ya right. Work load is ridicous. Must be a servant to the residents but also get all your paperwork done... which there is no time for. Expected to stay over with no pay to finish. Try everything in their power to get away with no paying OT (even when u work 8hrs OT), not give advancement in position or just general respect. There is no where to advance.. if ur an hca thats it for you. If your an lpn, your an lpn. They expect lpns to work for a low wage but do the same workload as an rn.
Hire a bunch of unskilled/ uneducated employees and rely on the older employees to train them. As an older employee watch your back, you are responsible for your training even if they don;t listen to you and do what they want. Be careful on how you walk into work in the am, as you are judged and "on shift" as soon as you step on the unit. Many times I got to work and instantly got bombarded from the previous shift. There is no respect from employee to employee, everyone is out for themselves. Employees do everything in their power to do as little work as they can, and then judge you for getting your work done. Would never recommend anyone to work here.
I can count on one hand the number of amazing, talented, bright, caring, honest, hardworking employees. And i feel bad for them everyday they are subjected to going to work.
Pros
when u have a position it rotates forever so you can make your life go around it, good benefit plan
Cons
no respect from employee to employee, no respect from management to employee, workload, expect you do to more then your scope, if there is no time for your paid 15min break then you dont get it, always looking over your shoulder and watching your back
general employment
RCA (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB23 November 2016
beautiful building, Great view of the lake from the third floor. Training schedule was enough to equip me for what I needed to know to carry out a full assignment.
it was nice and great to volunteer at bethany
bethany care college side (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB4 November 2016
working at Bethany with the seniors was an amazing experience,i learnt humility from them and the most enjoyable part was playing guitar for them
Productive place with good benefits.
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2016
A typical day at work in Bethany Care Society was when me and my partner were transferring a Resident from bed to the wheelchair with a ceiling lift. At a point during the transfer, the lift stopped working, and the Resident was still hanging up on the lift, we remained calm so that the Resident would not notice or feel any problem, but I gave my partner sign to rush and call our supervisor. Our supervisor rushed in immediately and assisted us in rescuing the situation.

From that incidence, I learnt that it's a always very important to have two or more persons assistance when you are doing transfer with a mechanical lift. Secondly, nobody should raise any panic when there is any dangerous situation so that Residents would not be scared.

Bethany has very good management. The interests of the staff, Residents and family is always considered at equilibrium by the management.

Co-workers are very good team spirited, and always protect each other.

The hardest part of this job, to me particularly, is always having to welcome new Residents, To me, it is hard because, it takes compassion, patience and empathy to get the new Residents settle in the Facility which is their new home. it is hard though, but the feelings are very much welcomed by me.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I find new Residents happily settled and participates in most of the activities they were enjoying during their youthful lives as well as in their old homes. .
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Heavy duties.
It has a low moral and management does not support this.
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2016
I really enjoy working the night shift with my coworkers because we get along and support each other. I do not have much difficulty working on the unit because I have upgraded my skills as a Health unit Coordinator and find that these skills carry me through my shifts. As far a the management there does not seem to be anyone in particular to go to and sometimes even if you do go to your manager you don't get any support from them. I have learned much at the Bethany Care Society on my own and a typical day would be starting my shift with report and taking care of the residents on that unit. We do rounds every hour on the hour and answer call bells throughout the night. We change residents, reposition them and assist them to the washroom.
Wonderful Company
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB25 May 2016
Working for Bethany care was one of the best job experience I have had. All of the nurses and care attendants were awesome to work with everyone always put in extra effort to work together as a team - I enjoyed going to work everyday - and seeing my residence everyday was a new challenge. The hardest part of my job was having to say goodbye to my team As I had to move out of Province
good place and good people
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB11 May 2016
There is a feeling that you are part of a great team of people whom are not only there for the clients,but for all they are around. I learned very many things from other members of the team. The management was awesome, helpful in any way they could and my co-workers were so nice. They welcomed me and made my work placement so very enjoyable. The hardest part of this job is not being able to do more for the clients. Most enjoyable is seeing a client happy and knowing that we were a contributing factor in helping that outcome.
Pros
great people
Practicom
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  North West Calgary15 March 2016
I just only work at Bethany Care Society for 5 weeks as student.I find it exciting to be part of that company.
The staff are nice and I love to be with the elder and senior people.This is what I love to do , to give a quality care for them.
Horrible place to work
health care (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 January 2016
Stay away if you can. Horrible place I feel bad for the residents that get treated poorly and if you stand up for them you get in trouble. There's so much drama and cattiness within Bethany it's pathetic!
Pros
The residents are amazing
Stay Away if you can!!!!
RN (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 December 2015
Stay away from this work place if you can. If this is the only job on earth and you need to feed your family, then may be ok. But otherwise stay away. Bad HR, bad management, internal chaos, and poor working condition. So long story short, please stay away! I feel for the residents that have to suffer.
Pros
Cons
Plain bad workplace.
helping residents with ADL
Casual HCA (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB2 December 2015
the staff was wonderful to work with, and hours where easy enough to come by. residents where a delight to work with and very appreciative of any and all help they received
Any normal person would never want to work there.
Health Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2015
A job at Bethany is perfect for anyone who is totally and utterly useless.
These skills would likely be noticed and you'd be fast-tracked into a Management or Human Resources position to work with your peers.
Pros
McDonalds pays more
Cons
Poor wages, staff cutbacks & reductions to part time status, claw back of Shift Differential and Weekend Differential.....
Poor quality
Poor quality to treat the workers (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB12 November 2015
This company it's the worst. Make sure to find a job a place that you feel welcome, not like Bethany sylvan lake. Know one likes to work in there because the way they treat the stuff and it's poor. They never happy even if you pick up shifts they don't recognize what you are doing for them. Even if you do ur best working in there, they don't care and if you make a mistake to become a friend with the resident they can they can fire you for that reason.
If you work in there ....make sure yes do your job and don't talk, or don't be to friendly. !!!
That's too bad that they fire people with out finding out exactly what happened.
Enjoyed atmosphere and learning experience
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2015
enjoyed the atmosphere and cooperation with my fellow
co-workers. It was a great learning experience and environment.
the facilities were professionally maintained .
Fulfilling and satisfying kind of work..
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  sylvan lake1 September 2015
Working in bethany is one of the most rewarding experiences in life..pleasant co-workers,good management..its nice to be with our grannies and elderly as they lift up your spirit internally by giving quality care...
Pros
good health benifits
Cons
lack of education for upgrading some new procedures
Stay clear of this work environment. Corporate office is an unhappy place to work with extremely low employee satisfaction.
admin (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2015
Everyday I went to work I worried what would happen bad tbat day or would I get talked about behind my back. I still think about this workplace and feel stress and sadness. Avoid it if you can. Senior management and HR are part of the problem and not helpful.
Pros
helping seniors
Cons
corporate culture is very bad. just do your work and get out quick to avoid getting in trouble.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bethany Care Society. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval