Best Western Employee Reviews

Hardworking job
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB2 January 2017
Most days started with a meeting with all the room attendants, then we would gather our supplies and get to work cleaning the rooms. We would start with our individual rooms to clean and as we finished, we would clean as a team until all the rooms on the lists were clean. It was steady and tiring work, but I found it manageable.
I learned a lot about cleaning as well as customer service, making sure to do as the individual wanted.
Management was focused and instructive, giving helpful feedback as necessary.
For the most part, my co-workers were good with teamwork, there were exceptions to some who would prefer not to share their weight and understand how to compromise. However, overall my co-workers were quite agreeable.
The hardest part of the job for me was the deep-cleans, which were extensive cleaning of every room to meet with company standards. This task was difficult for me because of the great length of time needed to complete. Many would work in a single room and it would still take hours longer than any other regular clean. However, when we did finish a room, there was a great sense of accomplishment.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the satisfying feeling that came with having successfully cleaned a room.
Pros
Individual work
Cons
Sometimes too short of shifts, sometimes too long
Everybody was easy to get along with
Caretaker of rooms (Former Employee) –  Sooke, BC29 December 2016
Manager was scatter brained and forgot important training. Short staffed, and underpaid. Needed better organization skills between management, housekeeping and front desk
liked my job was just in a bad economy
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB22 December 2016
job as a housekeeper was rewarding, but was just in a bad economy so I was laid off soon after I hod gotten the job. due to the fact management believed that people would come more, but that never happened and it went from part time to maybe a shift every two weeks. was not the companies fault just bad timing.
Pros
good team work within the section I worked in
Cons
the work was physically challenging
The most enjoyable part of the job
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 December 2016
I have great good team player with Best Western staff.

My key competencies are attention to detail; customer focus; reliability; listening skills; adaptability; planning and organizing; team work; integrity; honesty and high energy levels.

That is why I want to continue working for Best Western employer closer to my family in Milton, Ontario.
Pros
Be sure our customers are happy with our services.
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2016
The staff is what makes this the best place to work for. I love best western innsiders rewards which is a great perk for working for them, they have awesome promotions so it makes it easier to sign people up. Love serving customers.
Benefits
Cons
Working in the evenings and weekends always, gets tiring after awhile, clashes with relationship
Awesome place to work at i loved it
housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB28 November 2016
Overall its not a bad place to work just sad how they let some people go.
I don't like how there is a uniform
I feel like there should be a little bit more leniency
Pros
Cons
Terrible people to work with
It was a good experience to see how much people have to go threw in a work place.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC6 November 2016
The work was very fast paced. And with cleaning the faster you have to go the more you miss, so I did not enjoy that. The people I worked with where usually respectful of one another. The way they acted towards one another often got hostile or there was often gossip and silly rumors. I didn't feel comfortable working in such a unprofessional place.

And Iv discovered I'd much rather be happy and pore than unhappy and have a paycheck, because that's no way to live.
Pros
I got good hours
Cons
I found myself to be the only one cleaning everything properly. Maybe alittle slow, but proper.
Job Security.
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON27 October 2016
Provides you with fun people to work with who are smart, kind, and considerate co-workers. There is job security here, so that you can feel comfortable enough to know that you won't suddenly one day lose your job for no reason, and there are many opportunities for job advancement/to switch departments. The managers are personable people that are sociable, and very helpful/down to Earth people.
Fun place to work excellent kitchen Forman
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB23 October 2016
A typical day was making salads and desserts for banquets. I learned how to prepare food for the customers. Management was good. My co-workers were great we worked as a team with little to no confusion or arguments in the work place. Being there first thing in the morning after a long night of work was the hardest part of the job. Working with the kitchen Forman learning all the little tricks of the trade was the best thing about my job
Pros
working long side the kitchen Forman
repetitive worksation
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Grande Cache, AB13 September 2016
throughout the time that i worked at this company it had it's best points and it had its low points Best points was it was good money for a student bad points was that everyday is the same. It is a very repetitive job
Pros
lunch
Cons
repetitive
Giant kitchen, great working space
Cook (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON3 September 2016
Good food, Good people incredible kitchen

Worked banquets, private functions, regular restaurant orders and room service.

lots of prep work, basic cooking deep fryers and bar food.

Major downside is working with the night time manager. He plays offensive music, colourful language toward the front house staff, and drops a lot of food on the floor. Better off working with a trained chimp or a fast food court.

Located by the Fairview mall with Local transit, Regional Transit, GO Transit buses and cabs near by.

Typical hotel hours based on time of year and productivity.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Night time manager
Productive workplace
Helped hotel staff (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 August 2016
I enjoyed being able to socialize with the guests and caring for their needs. The only downside for me was that front desk employees didn't have chairs so you were pretty much required to stand most of your shift.
Pros
A social environnment
Cons
long hours of standing
Good Place
Extended healthcare
Flexible working hours
Good standing company
Nice co-workers
Great place fun work environment.
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 August 2016
Best Western is a great place to work.
They were very supportive of my schedule for school. The people who work here are from various parts of the world as well as local people. While some guests can be difficult to please the staff always seem to be able to tow the party line in a professional manor.
Pros
Supportive work envirnment
Cons
Wages low
Enjoyable
Housekeeping & Laundry (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB24 August 2016
This place of business is a great work environment where everyone is treated equal and there is always someone there to help when you need it or if you don't understand how to get the job done in a timely manner. The management there was very friendly and helpful so this place is a great place to work.
Good Experience
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Terrace, BC19 August 2016
Hotel owners are nice people and cooperative.I had to quit due to my personal commitments. They have excellent team to work with. Overall was a good experience.
very nice
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 August 2016
it was a very nice place to work, everyone was very nice. they even had birthday parties for the girls with cake and snacks. they would also take away rooms if we were really behind, it was a really good place to work.
Pros
nice staff
Cons
hard to get to on sundays.
Fast pace and busy workplace.
Porter (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON27 July 2016
Typical day: preparing meeting rooms, serving food, talking to guests, and cleaning.
Management: Alright
Co-Workers: Always prepared and on task.
Hardest part of the job: moving very large tables.
Most enjoyable part of the job: Free drinks and diner.
Pros
Free diner, free drinks, easy
housekeeping
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 July 2016
my normal would be cleaning 16 rooms
I have learned patients with other more so than ever
how make a bed fast.. and clean i room fast
The hardest part was you could never really plan anything cause you never know when your off work.. the part I like about the job. was cause you day went by fast..
Pros
free breakfast, good wage
Cons
long hours.. and only keep you for a month than your done
Overall good place to work.
Banquet Supervisor & Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON14 July 2016
I started at Best Western in 2014, I worked there for just under two years. I would say that it is a good place to work, I truly enjoyed working with my coworkers. My initial immediate managers were awesome people, they cared about their employees. The owners at that time ended up selling the hotel to a corporation, and the months following I seen a decline in morale, everyone started to hate their job and the place as a whole. The new GM came in, and she doesn't seem like a warm friendly person, it's always been my opinion that especially in the hospitality industry you should be warm and acknowledging to both internal and external guests, and it helps the lower people feel appreciated in their roll, resulting in upbeat attitudes towards guests. So in closing, although there may have been some issues with this location, that is not a reflection of BW as a whole, which was a decent company to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Western. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval