Best Western Employee Reviews

fun and busy
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON24 February 2016
It's busy for the most part which makes my day go fast I enjoy what I do I like to keep moving and sometimes it's a lot of fun. When we have weddings or other types of parties I enjoy music and dancing while I work. I learned that presentation is key. Some management could be better, I like my co-workers I get a long with most, the hardest part of the job is not having the right supplies when needed.
Pros
free food and extra hours
Cons
long hours when not schedule
Overall good place to work.
Banquet Supervisor & Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON14 July 2016
I started at Best Western in 2014, I worked there for just under two years. I would say that it is a good place to work, I truly enjoyed working with my coworkers. My initial immediate managers were awesome people, they cared about their employees. The owners at that time ended up selling the hotel to a corporation, and the months following I seen a decline in morale, everyone started to hate their job and the place as a whole. The new GM came in, and she doesn't seem like a warm friendly person, it's always been my opinion that especially in the hospitality industry you should be warm and acknowledging to both internal and external guests, and it helps the lower people feel appreciated in their roll, resulting in upbeat attitudes towards guests. So in closing, although there may have been some issues with this location, that is not a reflection of BW as a whole, which was a decent company to work for.
very clean environment
House keeper (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB10 January 2017
• Cleaned rooms in a timely matter
• Organized laundry
• Maintained health and safety standards

help customer with there needs
Overall great experience
Supervisor/ Room Attendant/ Laundry (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 April 2016
Best Western was a great place to work. Positive experience with staff members and management. There is always room for career advancement within all areas of the establishment.
Just a job
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON27 January 2015
During my 7 years at this hotel, the only raise we received is when a union was brought in even then the owners and management still did as they pleased. They have been stripping everything from the employees and if the union gets pushed out the employees will never receive another dime no matter how hard they work.

They always tell us when they clearly see that an employee is having a hard time that if they don't like their jobs to leave.

Few years ago my girlfriend and i were having a miscarriage and when i when to call in to tell them i was not going to be there that night, my manager gave me a hard time saying " if no one else goes in. You'll have to." them my girlfriend got on the phone and told her what was going on and her words to my girlfriend (who was losing her baby at the time in the hospital) that " that's not my problem" in a rude tone.
Great place fun work environment.
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 August 2016
Best Western is a great place to work.
They were very supportive of my schedule for school. The people who work here are from various parts of the world as well as local people. While some guests can be difficult to please the staff always seem to be able to tow the party line in a professional manor.
Pros
Supportive work envirnment
Cons
Wages low
repetitive worksation
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Grande Cache, AB13 September 2016
throughout the time that i worked at this company it had it's best points and it had its low points Best points was it was good money for a student bad points was that everyday is the same. It is a very repetitive job
Pros
lunch
Cons
repetitive
Poor workplace
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 July 2016
Consistently unkempt and dirty, job is rarely ever done right. Management is corrupt and awful to employees and refuse to hire enough staff.
productive , Excellent work atmosphere.
Room attendant (Former Employee) –  Alberta11 March 2016
Had a nice work experience in housekeeping. helpful management. mixed cultured work location. supportive supervisors and management.
Fast past
HOUSEKEEPING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 April 2016
Each day we had a set amount of responsibilities to be done, it was up to each of us as individuals and as a team to complete everything effectively and efficiently.

I was able to approve on my multitasking skills with the support of all of my co workers including management.

I was able to thrive working independently and as a team member.
Pros
discounts on rooms
Cons
not enough hours
very nice
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 August 2016
it was a very nice place to work, everyone was very nice. they even had birthday parties for the girls with cake and snacks. they would also take away rooms if we were really behind, it was a really good place to work.
Pros
nice staff
Cons
hard to get to on sundays.
Physical work for little to no benefits.
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sooke, BC19 May 2015
Management wanted the fastest possible work done but at the highest standards possible, which was difficult to accomplish for some. There is no room for promotion among the room attendants and small chance of wage increase. Not enough work for each employee. It is a very physically demanding job.

Very tiring work, and after not being appreciated properly over the years, it became very hard to stay motivated.

Most fellow staff were pleasant and kind. Very few guests left tips, so that was never a reliant money-earner. Guests are sometimes very cheerful, others are the opposite; obviously you must always able to deal with everyone respectfully and be friendly.
Pros
Nice staff.
Cons
No advancement.
Good Experience
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Terrace, BC19 August 2016
Hotel owners are nice people and cooperative.I had to quit due to my personal commitments. They have excellent team to work with. Overall was a good experience.
Well established place with the potential to become something great.
Second Cook (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC23 March 2015
Per day I cook and plate up to 200 tasty entrées in a shift. My job is to prepare my station for that by ensuring proper levels of product and quality. I try and learn better more creative and efficient ways of accomplishing these things everyday. For the majority I have a great bunch of co-workers who bring a great diversity of abilities to the job. The most difficult part of the job is when all the customers want to order at once and we have far too much food to produce in an unrealistically short time. The best part of the job is creating fabulous dining experiences that people take photos of and compliment on.
Pros
Union benefits, seniority job protection, The ability to work with a good variety of fresh local procuct.
Cons
Poorly trained management and staff.
Best Western Plus the Inn at St. Albert
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB25 July 2014
I was the Night Auditor for the Best Western Plus in St. Albert. My job including performing the Nightly Audit, Hotel Security, checking guests in and out of the hotel, helping to set up the breakfast room in the morning, assisting housekeeping with washing towels and rags, basic receptionist and clerical tasks, and cash handling.

The hardest part of the job for me was the hours. While in the position I was also going to school completing my course at NAIT. Its not something I would recommend doing as it was hard on the body.

That being said I have to say it was never boring, you were always kept busy working during the audit there was always something to do.

I can't say much on the Management as I rarely saw them during my shift.
Pros
Always kept busy
Cons
long hours, pay
Great work environment, amazing staff and enjoyable
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON27 November 2015
Start by setting tables, and prepping for dinner service
Serve dinner, either buffet, or plated. Help clear sections, coffee and tea service.
End of shift cleaning, and polishing of silverware.
Management is excellent, and easy to get along with, as for co workers. Always willing to support and help out where needed.
Hardest part of the job is when someone doesn't show up for a shift, or something is missing from the event that we can not get, or unhappy costumers.
Most enjoyable part of the job, getting everything done and assuring guests had a good time.
Pros
Food is wonderful, being able to work in more than one department.
Cons
being called off early when an event is overstaffed.
unreasonable dismissal
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  fredericton nb24 July 2014
I worked in the laundry department of housekeeping there. I had one day of training and then was left to one of the two laundry rooms on my own with the instruction to do all towels. After working hard to get caught up on the mounds of backlog for a week, I got everything in order. The laundry supervisor got upset that I was doing that well, as she had been behind for 6 1/2 years, according to her. She became somewhat hostile with me. After she called in the District manager to complain about me, SHE got a talking to about her attitude. I thought the matter was resolved, but regardless I was terminated two weeks later...something about me letting towels go out to guests with stains on them. I was not instructed on the issue, plus the machine was worked on for an hour by a guy trying to fix the mix of detergent and bleach that the machine was taking in to wash the towels. Normally, when I have done something incorrectly at a job I have been given more training, not fired! I have never been fired from a job in my life.
The housekeeping department is a den of politics, and my suggestion for anyone stepping into that climate is to be as meek and stupid as possible to avoid gaining anyone's disfavor!
Pros
mostly nice people, laundry was decent enough work
Cons
minimal pay and benefits, politics
Great Experience from a Great Team of Managers
Sales and Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Cork City3 April 2013
I have been working for The Best Western Montenotte Hotel since May of last year as Sales and Events Manager. I can proudly say, I am a strong team leader and I work with a great group of people. My door is always open if my team need me and we have a very friendly yet professional relationship. It is great to have this balance as in some work places this group dynamic does not always work. It is important as a manager to develop the correct managerial strategy according to the work ethic of the workforce.
Pros
free lunch, best western rewards programs, sales targets incentives
Cons
low salary, long hours
Team work and Family Environment
Room Attendant Day and Night (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON11 October 2015
Physically demanding and time management is a must. Co-workers are wonderful and feel very much like family. The down fall is that it is seasonal and has very little room for advancement. There is a wide range of clients and is a wonderful way to meet new people that visit the hotel from all around the world.
Productive and fun place, well managed, gem and more.
Bus Person (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 July 2015
Flexible scheduling, fun atmosphere, competitive salary and compensation packages, supportive management and good possibilities to advance, free meal.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Western. Our community is ready to answer.

71%