Best Western Employee Reviews

Poor management and hours always either too long or too short
Room Attendant/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB19 April 2017
I found there was very poor management while working at the Best Western in Okotoks, AB. There were multiple times where we were given trouble because we had listened to our supervisor over an issue, but our supervisor had not been told how to deal with the issue but the blame always goes downhill. The manager would get angry very easily and on multiple occasions would yell at his employees, almost every situation that arose was dealt with very, VERY poorly. There was constant gossip going on between the staff causing a toxic environment. The management expected you to get far too much done in the sad amount of time they allowed. The hours were sad, some weeks we would each get two shifts, not even full 8 hour shifts, some weeks we would have to work up to 7 days in a row all very long days. There was never a balance with this job, I found that myself as well as other staff suffered in their home lives due to the stress of the job. I would never recommend working here to anyone that I care about.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, poor treatment of the staff, horrible hours
Hard work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK7 April 2017
I learned how to effectively clean a kitchen, bathroom and bedroom which has carried on into my home. The hardest part of the job was getting the rooms done in a timely manner and the most enjoyable part of the job was working with my coworkers.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Hard labour
Ideal day at the Best Western
Buffet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON5 April 2017
The Best Western was something different I've never done before. Working there you see new faces everyday for breakfast and get to hear stories of the customers travel.
I really enjoyed working at Best Western
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Golden, BC5 April 2017
The main reason I enjoyed my job so much was because of the manager and the team I worked with. The job itself wasn't always the best but was made enjoyable because the manager was very pleasant and well organized to make sure everything got done in the most efficient way possible.
Pros
Good manager
positive fun rewarding place of employment
Manager On Duty (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 March 2017
good place to work. Fast paced very busy. Hotel is kept in good condition and the atrium/pool area is beautiful. Guests are quite happy on a regular basis.
Pros
good people
Cons
afternoon shifts
If you go with the right one, you'll be fine.
Front desk Agent / Assistant Front Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 March 2017
I unfortunately got caught up in one of the Best Westerns who's owner did not overly seem to care about his staff or his customers. Although I would not recommend the specific hotel I worked for, Best Western as a brand seemed to be okay, and if you end up at one better than the one I was employed with, you should have a great experience. I unfortunately was promoted only to supervisor when I was doing the job of the front desk manager, an accountant, as well as still preforming regular front desk shifts. Although I did payroll and did the schedule for my employees, I was not given the power to hire and let go of people in order to make my front desk as strong as possible. Basically, just be wary of things going on, and I'd suggest sticking to the simple front desk position, I wish I had.
Very much enjoyed meeting differnet customers, as well as repeat customers,
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC7 March 2017
My day would start at 7am, take care of check outs, check log for any problems to except, handle any complaints, book reservations as well as groups, accountants receivable, assign rooms for check in for afternoon evening, communicate with housekeeping
Pros
Love working with people
Cons
Being overbooked
lots of energy in the work place
Front Desk Manager (Former Employee) –  kenora ontario6 March 2017
amazing team work and great people to work for .
Owner and General Manager were fair with all management and associates.
Full benefits and meals included
hotel
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ON2 March 2017
its a typical hotel environment. it has its ups and downs just like any other place. I wish indeed didn't force you to write reviews on every single thing.
Fast paced environment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 March 2017
Very face paced work place, I enjoyed the long hours on foot keeping myself active and busy throughout the day. The hourly pay was not up to par but the long hours made up for it.
Pros
Fun place to work and loving people all around to help.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB17 February 2017
I love to keep my mind busy by cleaning and alot of amazing people worked there and it was easier because it was more of a family working as a team. To get everything accomplished.

The management wasn't the best at the one I worked out West. But I'm sure everyone has there problems
From the start until the end it was a good experience and no matter what everyone was there to help and do respectful.
Great part time job
Banquet Server and Bartender (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON15 February 2017
The employees that I work with are fantastic. Everyone is extremely friendly, helpful and fun. The hours can be too long or not long enough and there are no guaranteed hours per week. I love getting free food when there are left overs and on busy nights the tips are pretty good.
Busy environment, highest level of customer service, computer skills, and reception
Night Manager/Auditor (Current Employee) –  Campbell River, BC15 February 2017
Answering phones, solving guest issues. Balancing front desk revenues, reporting to General Manager and Owners, and rolling over computer systems. Prepping and cooking breakfast for guests. Hardest part of the job is time management.
Pros
free breakfast, use of swimming pool, sauna, and gym.
Cons
cooking breakfast during peak seasons.
Housekeeping
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON12 February 2017
I have been cleaning now for 4 years and I just really enjoy it. I love working in a hotel because you get to meet people from all over and there is the opportunity to move up in the company. I had been at Best Western in Brantford, ON Canada for a year, than got a working holiday visa and moved to Sydney Australia where I also worked for Best Western!
good
trainee (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK3 February 2017
this is the best working environment . I really like my job a lo and i enjoyed a lot. This is an unforgettable experience of my career
very good work ethic
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Jasper National Park, Alberta Canada3 February 2017
very good place to work, staff were incredibly helpful, long hours but the financial aspect of things made up for this, was an amazing experience to live in the mountains
Pros
free staff meals
great place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Three Hills, AB31 January 2017
this is a great first job for someone who is in high school. The people working there are great and will help you learn they are great at answering questions.
Pros
great people and lots of laughter
Cons
on your feet a lot
it was very close to my house
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 January 2017
i was working as maintenance supervisor and i was responsible for buying every item we needed for maintenance department. I was a very good worker and successful and had good connection with the general manager.
Brand Image and Work Environment
Guest Service Supervisor and Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Fergus, ON23 January 2017
Has enhanced my knowledge of Customer Service and Hotel Operations in Canada. Really helped me understand the needs and wants of Guests. Its a honor to work with a Brand as Best Western.
Even though it was a Co-op it was so much fun
Preparation Cook (Co-op placement) (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 January 2017
By far one of the most amazing places I have ever worked at even if it was for a very short time. Management was amazing as well as the staff, people you could get along with and have a wonderful time doing so. The hardest part of the job was that it was pretty physically demanding but that's what's expected of Kitchen Prep people. All in all it was one of the best experiences in my life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Western. Our community is ready to answer.