Best Western Employee Reviews in Canada

Promising and fun learning experience
Kitchen helper (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 23, 2016
Best western Plus is a great place to work at because there is so much opportunity for advancement in this place as they have amazing skills from years of experience that they pass on down to you/me. The management and staff are all wonderful people and have been great to me! The most enjoyable part of the job is the pride in putting out the best food in Fort Mcmurray and learning so much about cooking!
fun and busy
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ONFebruary 24, 2016
It's busy for the most part which makes my day go fast I enjoy what I do I like to keep moving and sometimes it's a lot of fun. When we have weddings or other types of parties I enjoy music and dancing while I work. I learned that presentation is key. Some management could be better, I like my co-workers I get a long with most, the hardest part of the job is not having the right supplies when needed.
Pros
free food and extra hours
Cons
long hours when not schedule
Overall good place to work.
Banquet Supervisor & Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONJuly 14, 2016
I started at Best Western in 2014, I worked there for just under two years. I would say that it is a good place to work, I truly enjoyed working with my coworkers. My initial immediate managers were awesome people, they cared about their employees. The owners at that time ended up selling the hotel to a corporation, and the months following I seen a decline in morale, everyone started to hate their job and the place as a whole. The new GM came in, and she doesn't seem like a warm friendly person, it's always been my opinion that especially in the hospitality industry you should be warm and acknowledging to both internal and external guests, and it helps the lower people feel appreciated in their roll, resulting in upbeat attitudes towards guests. So in closing, although there may have been some issues with this location, that is not a reflection of BW as a whole, which was a decent company to work for.
Best Western Atomsphere
housekeeping and pool maintenance (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, ABJuly 10, 2016
Since I've worked at Best Western, I can truly say it is the best work environment I have encountered, and gladly been a part of. I've learnt may new skills and found a passion for Hospitality that I never knew existed within myself. I'm happy to say that I have stumbled upon a career I certainly enjoy. We are a smaller hotel, so we are independently owned and operated. I am a jack of all trades within the hotel so I am able to pitch in where I am needed and thats how I get my hours. Everything is based off of occupancy, which I was not aware at first. Management is good and we have a well oiled team, every housekeeper finishes within the time frame they are given. Even if they happen to fall behind, we work as a team and get the rooms done together. I enjoy working hear, and look forward to where it brings me in the future.
Pros
Great environment, support from management and co-workers.
Cons
Hours are based off occupancy, communication through the employees could be improved.
working with the housekeepers was very enjoyable
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Kincardine, ONJuly 5, 2016
I was hired to check rooms and for no other purpose. I was not to help the housekeepers in any way and there was absolutely no chance for advancement. You never learned everything about your position at one time, just a little here and a little there. My co-workers in housekeeping were young ladies who were in their first position of work or working to go on to school. They were excellent to work with. The hardest part of my job was not getting the time and the most enjoyable part of my job was working with some of the other employees
Pros
it was employment
Cons
unappreciated employment for people receiving minimum wage
Overall great experience
Supervisor/ Room Attendant/ Laundry (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 2, 2016
Best Western was a great place to work. Positive experience with staff members and management. There is always room for career advancement within all areas of the establishment.
fun to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ONMarch 2, 2016
I like working at Best Western a typical day is long hours lots of heavy lifting. I leaned that time is key when busy and everything has to be set right.
Pros
free food and get to dance
Cons
not full time and no real schedule
great food, high standards, lots to learn
Breakfast Cook (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BCJuly 9, 2016
On the weekends there is a large buffet that many in town come to. I enjoyed making omelettes to order for some of the regular customers. During the week I made the daily sandwich and salad specials which gave me a chance to be creative outside the menu.There was some outside catering which I found more challenging as it was often a wedding, or special event that had to be perfect. I treat my work as how I would want things done if I was the client.
Pros
cooking daily specials
Cons
not much room for advancement
Fast past
HOUSEKEEPING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 4, 2016
Each day we had a set amount of responsibilities to be done, it was up to each of us as individuals and as a team to complete everything effectively and efficiently.

I was able to approve on my multitasking skills with the support of all of my co workers including management.

I was able to thrive working independently and as a team member.
Pros
discounts on rooms
Cons
not enough hours
Well established place with the potential to become something great.
Second Cook (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCMarch 23, 2015
Per day I cook and plate up to 200 tasty entrées in a shift. My job is to prepare my station for that by ensuring proper levels of product and quality. I try and learn better more creative and efficient ways of accomplishing these things everyday. For the majority I have a great bunch of co-workers who bring a great diversity of abilities to the job. The most difficult part of the job is when all the customers want to order at once and we have far too much food to produce in an unrealistically short time. The best part of the job is creating fabulous dining experiences that people take photos of and compliment on.
Pros
union benefits, seniority job protection, the ability to work with a good variety of fresh local procuct.
Cons
poorly trained management and staff.
Just a job
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJanuary 27, 2015
During my 7 years at this hotel, the only raise we received is when a union was brought in even then the owners and management still did as they pleased. They have been stripping everything from the employees and if the union gets pushed out the employees will never receive another dime no matter how hard they work.

They always tell us when they clearly see that an employee is having a hard time that if they don't like their jobs to leave.

Few years ago my girlfriend and i were having a miscarriage and when i when to call in to tell them i was not going to be there that night, my manager gave me a hard time saying " if no one else goes in. You'll have to." them my girlfriend got on the phone and told her what was going on and her words to my girlfriend (who was losing her baby at the time in the hospital) that " that's not my problem" in a rude tone.
Great work environment, amazing staff and enjoyable
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONNovember 27, 2015
Start by setting tables, and prepping for dinner service
Serve dinner, either buffet, or plated. Help clear sections, coffee and tea service.
End of shift cleaning, and polishing of silverware.
Management is excellent, and easy to get along with, as for co workers. Always willing to support and help out where needed.
Hardest part of the job is when someone doesn't show up for a shift, or something is missing from the event that we can not get, or unhappy costumers.
Most enjoyable part of the job, getting everything done and assuring guests had a good time.
Pros
Food is wonderful, being able to work in more than one department.
Cons
being called off early when an event is overstaffed.
Productive and fun place, well managed, gem and more.
Bus Person (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 25, 2015
Flexible scheduling, fun atmosphere, competitive salary and compensation packages, supportive management and good possibilities to advance, free meal.
productive , Excellent work atmosphere.
Room attendant (Former Employee) –  AlbertaMarch 11, 2016
Had a nice work experience in housekeeping. helpful management. mixed cultured work location. supportive supervisors and management.
Fast pace and busy workplace.
Porter (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJuly 27, 2016
Typical day: preparing meeting rooms, serving food, talking to guests, and cleaning.
Management: Alright
Co-Workers: Always prepared and on task.
Hardest part of the job: moving very large tables.
Most enjoyable part of the job: Free drinks and diner.
Pros
Free diner, free drinks, easy
The truth
Front Desk Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 24, 2016
Management team is fun to work with. However because of a skeleton staff and lack of business, staff breaks are non existent. Work is fun but it is not equal to pay.
Pros
Fun work place
Cons
not being paid equal to skills
it was a great starter job
HOUSEKEEPER (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONMarch 16, 2016
the girls were great to work with. my s supervisor sheryl gamble is one of the best supervisors i ever worked with. it was great but due to physical demand i wanted to change careers.
A great family team something I will never forget.
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONNovember 10, 2015
Fast paced environment and making sure jobs get done in a timely fashion. I have learned all various types of jobs from painting to plumbing and managing big contract jobs. Great management team. Keeps you learning and growing with the company. Great group of people to work with I consider them my family. Hardest part of my job is keeping up with a hundred room hotel with only my self to look after it. Most enjoyable part of my job is learning new things every day and working along side great people.
Pros
Benefit package.
Cons
pay.
Good work environment
Housekeeping/Laundry/Housman (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABFebruary 14, 2016
Always looked forward to going to work. Learned better time management skills. Management was awesome there.The hard part was when a co-worker was absent work load became heavier.
Pros
Free lunches
productive in my work
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Sundre, ABMay 6, 2015
I work 5 days in a week. I've learned different kinds of rules in a hotel. The management is fair with regards to rules and regulations. My co- workers are good. I can manage all my job work, i don't think so there is hard for me. I enjoy doing my work.
Pros
with benefits