Best Western Employee Reviews

Fun place to work excellent kitchen Forman
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB23 October 2016
A typical day was making salads and desserts for banquets. I learned how to prepare food for the customers. Management was good. My co-workers were great we worked as a team with little to no confusion or arguments in the work place. Being there first thing in the morning after a long night of work was the hardest part of the job. Working with the kitchen Forman learning all the little tricks of the trade was the best thing about my job
Pros
working long side the kitchen Forman
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2016
The staff is what makes this the best place to work for. I love best western innsiders rewards which is a great perk for working for them, they have awesome promotions so it makes it easier to sign people up. Love serving customers.
Benefits
Cons
Working in the evenings and weekends always, gets tiring after awhile, clashes with relationship
Best Western Atomsphere
housekeeping and pool maintenance (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB10 July 2016
Since I've worked at Best Western, I can truly say it is the best work environment I have encountered, and gladly been a part of. I've learnt may new skills and found a passion for Hospitality that I never knew existed within myself. I'm happy to say that I have stumbled upon a career I certainly enjoy. We are a smaller hotel, so we are independently owned and operated. I am a jack of all trades within the hotel so I am able to pitch in where I am needed and thats how I get my hours. Everything is based off of occupancy, which I was not aware at first. Management is good and we have a well oiled team, every housekeeper finishes within the time frame they are given. Even if they happen to fall behind, we work as a team and get the rooms done together. I enjoy working hear, and look forward to where it brings me in the future.
Pros
Great environment, support from management and co-workers.
Cons
Hours are based off occupancy, communication through the employees could be improved.
Fast pace and busy workplace.
Porter (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON27 July 2016
Typical day: preparing meeting rooms, serving food, talking to guests, and cleaning.
Management: Alright
Co-Workers: Always prepared and on task.
Hardest part of the job: moving very large tables.
Most enjoyable part of the job: Free drinks and diner.
Pros
Free diner, free drinks, easy
Cons
liked my job was just in a bad economy
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB22 December 2016
job as a housekeeper was rewarding, but was just in a bad economy so I was laid off soon after I hod gotten the job. due to the fact management believed that people would come more, but that never happened and it went from part time to maybe a shift every two weeks. was not the companies fault just bad timing.
Pros
good team work within the section I worked in
Cons
the work was physically challenging
Job Security.
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON27 October 2016
Provides you with fun people to work with who are smart, kind, and considerate co-workers. There is job security here, so that you can feel comfortable enough to know that you won't suddenly one day lose your job for no reason, and there are many opportunities for job advancement/to switch departments. The managers are personable people that are sociable, and very helpful/down to Earth people.
Good Place
Good standing company
Nice co-workers
Hardworking job
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB2 January 2017
Most days started with a meeting with all the room attendants, then we would gather our supplies and get to work cleaning the rooms. We would start with our individual rooms to clean and as we finished, we would clean as a team until all the rooms on the lists were clean. It was steady and tiring work, but I found it manageable.
I learned a lot about cleaning as well as customer service, making sure to do as the individual wanted.
Management was focused and instructive, giving helpful feedback as necessary.
For the most part, my co-workers were good with teamwork, there were exceptions to some who would prefer not to share their weight and understand how to compromise. However, overall my co-workers were quite agreeable.
The hardest part of the job for me was the deep-cleans, which were extensive cleaning of every room to meet with company standards. This task was difficult for me because of the great length of time needed to complete. Many would work in a single room and it would still take hours longer than any other regular clean. However, when we did finish a room, there was a great sense of accomplishment.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the satisfying feeling that came with having successfully cleaned a room.
Pros
Individual work
Cons
Sometimes too short of shifts, sometimes too long
working with the housekeepers was very enjoyable
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Kincardine, ON5 July 2016
I was hired to check rooms and for no other purpose. I was not to help the housekeepers in any way and there was absolutely no chance for advancement. You never learned everything about your position at one time, just a little here and a little there. My co-workers in housekeeping were young ladies who were in their first position of work or working to go on to school. They were excellent to work with. The hardest part of my job was not getting the time and the most enjoyable part of my job was working with some of the other employees
Pros
it was employment
Cons
unappreciated employment for people receiving minimum wage
Everybody was easy to get along with
Caretaker of rooms (Former Employee) –  Sooke, BC29 December 2016
Manager was scatter brained and forgot important training. Short staffed, and underpaid. Needed better organization skills between management, housekeeping and front desk
great place to work, frendly, productive
House Keeping (Former Employee) –  Fernie, BC23 May 2016
great place to work, if you like hard word. great management , awesome benefits, and discounts. staff was great to customer's and we had great reviews
Pros
great pay, benifits
Cons
sometimes only two three hours for the day
great food, high standards, lots to learn
Breakfast Cook (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BC9 July 2016
On the weekends there is a large buffet that many in town come to. I enjoyed making omelettes to order for some of the regular customers. During the week I made the daily sandwich and salad specials which gave me a chance to be creative outside the menu.There was some outside catering which I found more challenging as it was often a wedding, or special event that had to be perfect. I treat my work as how I would want things done if I was the client.
Pros
cooking daily specials
Cons
not much room for advancement
Awesome place to work at i loved it
housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB28 November 2016
Overall its not a bad place to work just sad how they let some people go.
I don't like how there is a uniform
I feel like there should be a little bit more leniency
Pros
Cons
Terrible people to work with
It was a good experience to see how much people have to go threw in a work place.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC6 November 2016
The work was very fast paced. And with cleaning the faster you have to go the more you miss, so I did not enjoy that. The people I worked with where usually respectful of one another. The way they acted towards one another often got hostile or there was often gossip and silly rumors. I didn't feel comfortable working in such a unprofessional place.

And Iv discovered I'd much rather be happy and pore than unhappy and have a paycheck, because that's no way to live.
Pros
I got good hours
Cons
I found myself to be the only one cleaning everything properly. Maybe alittle slow, but proper.
Loved my job their
Housekeeping Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON10 January 2017
I cleaned rooms for guest checking in or even long stay guests.the pace of the job was sometime challanging but it was worth the tips.its a beautiful hotel then.
Benefits
Cons
Supervisors
Enjoyable
Housekeeping & Laundry (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB24 August 2016
This place of business is a great work environment where everyone is treated equal and there is always someone there to help when you need it or if you don't understand how to get the job done in a timely manner. The management there was very friendly and helpful so this place is a great place to work.
Promising and fun learning experience
Kitchen helper (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 March 2016
Best western Plus is a great place to work at because there is so much opportunity for advancement in this place as they have amazing skills from years of experience that they pass on down to you/me. The management and staff are all wonderful people and have been great to me! The most enjoyable part of the job is the pride in putting out the best food in Fort Mcmurray and learning so much about cooking!
housekeeping
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 July 2016
my normal would be cleaning 16 rooms
I have learned patients with other more so than ever
how make a bed fast.. and clean i room fast
The hardest part was you could never really plan anything cause you never know when your off work.. the part I like about the job. was cause you day went by fast..
Pros
free breakfast, good wage
Cons
long hours.. and only keep you for a month than your done
Productive workplace
Helped hotel staff (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 August 2016
I enjoyed being able to socialize with the guests and caring for their needs. The only downside for me was that front desk employees didn't have chairs so you were pretty much required to stand most of your shift.
Pros
A social environnment
Cons
long hours of standing
Giant kitchen, great working space
Cook (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON3 September 2016
Good food, Good people incredible kitchen

Worked banquets, private functions, regular restaurant orders and room service.

lots of prep work, basic cooking deep fryers and bar food.

Major downside is working with the night time manager. He plays offensive music, colourful language toward the front house staff, and drops a lot of food on the floor. Better off working with a trained chimp or a fast food court.

Located by the Fairview mall with Local transit, Regional Transit, GO Transit buses and cabs near by.

Typical hotel hours based on time of year and productivity.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Night time manager