Best Version Media Canada Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Great atmosphere and income opportunity
Sales (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2018
I have worked at many companies and it truly is different in a good way. If you don't want a boss and want to be in charge of your your own income levels this is a great company. Work life balance meaning you don't have to work crazy hours to be successful. You don't even have to have sales experience. True it's not an easy job and there is a lot of rejection in sales but what job is easy. The job involves meeting with a lot of local businesses to sell them advertising. It's not rocket science....but you can make a lot of money especially after a year or two.
Pros
Unlimited income, job freedom, work from home; supportive management, awesome leadership. Connect with local business owners.
Cons
You have to be self motivated to sell, and thats not for everyone. Rejection in sales, need to have a thick skin.
Interview fail
applicant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2018
After having my phone intevriew resheduled a third time, I requested a face to face as we lived not far from one another. This was also changed twice then finally put back to a phone call interview, I then decided not to bother. This got the "manager/publisher" for Western Canada upset and belligerent. Glad I did not go to work for him.
Company I can see myself for the rest of my life
Publisher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, on15 May 2017
After learning about BVM it sounded too good to be true at first but I did my due diligence and learned that this company is the real deal for people who have a good strong work ethic and want to work independently. The culture is truly unparalled anywhere else....lots of support and help, but you truly are in charge of your own success. I had never worked on commission before but would now never go back to a limited pay. Also had never sold advertising before but learned very easily and the product is so sellable. Work hard in this company and you will get paid for it!
Pros
High percentage commission, Set your own schedule, In charge of your own pay, Great high quality product, Management is awesome
Cons
If you are lazy you wont do well, You have to be a self starter
The Best Company Culture I have come across in my career.
Publisher (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON11 November 2016
One of the best opportunities to work in an exciting company with a very bright future, a wonderful supportive management team and tremendous income potential.

A fantastic platform through which to build connections and become part of your local community.
Pros
Tremendous income potential
Cons
100% commission based.
Interesting
Publisher (Former Employee) –  Canada19 February 2016
BVM operates in a difficult market. They have many successful publishers, and the financial numbers they claim to be making are impressive. Margins would be good but in BVM's market they are often up against a multitude of competitors, many making the same claim of quality, delivery, niche, and community focus.

If you have a head start, say by bringing a portfolio of current valuable print ad clients, you might make it. For a rookie it's a tough sell. 12 months tie ins for ads are an additional obstacle.

You won't get a mock up magazine copy, so you rely on other magazines as examples. Difficult to sell vapourware to cynical customers.
Pros
Nice passionate people, good concept (on paper)
Cons
Difficult startup, barriers to entry
Official response from Best Version Media Canada
11 March 2016

We’re sorry to hear this person didn’t have 100% satisfaction, but we wanted to make a couple of counterpoints:

1. We don’t have a lot competition in the market for the type of magazine we produce. Sure, there are several cheap advertiser-type mailers out there, but our product is vastly different. We produce beautiful high-quality, full color magazines that feature a cover story on a local family. We also have advice columns written by local experts and local business profiles. It’s an excellent way for people to get to know their neighbours. Simply put, our magazines get opened by readers, unlike the junk mail that most people get. Our advertisers love this.

2. You don’t need a large client portfolio from the start to be successful. We give our publishers all of the tools and training they need to be a success right out of the gate.

3. We provide our new publishers with several copies of actual magazines we already have in print when they are meeting with advertisers to open a new magazine. When customers see these actual magazines they know they will be advertising in an attractive, high quality magazine. Why use a mock up when have the real thing to show to advertisers? There’s no mystery as to how good the magazine will look.

4. We encourage you to look at the many 5 star reviews we have received on this and other websites. We think you will be impressed.

Not what I expected
Publisher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 December 2015
I am sure there are some success stories here, but there are certain flaws with the business model:

1) expectation of a new employee to work for an unknown period of time without pay until they can reach the "baseline".
2) expecting a "publisher" to commit to selling advertisement space on a magazine without knowing who/how/where/ when the articles are produced, pictures are taken etc. which is what they are expected to sell to their customer.
3) unrealistic pricing model where each ad costs $500 per month and has to be signed for 12 month contract which minimizes the number of businesses that are willing to participate (it's a magazine, and not a whole lot of people read those any more). I live in a very upscale neighborhood and I can tell you for sure that 75% of businesses here can not afford to participate in this ad campaign
4) Poor communication from territory manager

I was contacted via email to be interviewed on the phone, and the first interview was conducted 45 minutes late, which the manager apologized for. after the first interview I was left asking myself about a couple of the above mentioned flaws. the second interview on the phone was scheduled and to my surprise the call was made to me an hour earlier than what was expected, at which time I was not available. When I called back the manager seemed to be in a rush, and kept repeating the same thing over and over when I asked clarifying questions regarding the model itself.

Regardless I was left underwhelmed and in awe of how a company like this can grow with this level of communication. I would not
  more... recommend this to anyone unless you are a retired individual who is in search of a hobby and isnt expecting to make any money at all for the first few months.  less
Official response from Best Version Media Canada
19 February 2016

This reviewer stated that it is difficult to sell advertising for a magazine that’s not yet in print. Not only is the reviewer wrong, they are dramatically wrong. Every one of our magazines opens this way. It is true, however, that an inexperienced person would have that fear, that we understand. We provide all of our Associate Publishers with sample magazines from a handful of our hundreds of successful magazines already in print that shows clients the beautiful layout and content we have. We work with our Publishers every step of the way to get the magazines into print. This reviewer never even attended our training where all of this is fully explained.

The reviewer stated that not a whole lot of people read magazines anymore. This is not true for our magazines. Our company is growing faster than 99.9% of all companies in North America because of our contemporary approach. Although it may seem counter intuitive in this digital age, micro-targeted magazines are very well received.

Finally, working with BVM is not a “hobby” as our explosive growth in the last few years proves. This is a great opportunity to make an excellent living as our hundreds of successful publishers can attest to.

Best Version Media Public Relations Team

The people are the best part of Best Version Media
Publisher (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area24 April 2015
Chance to be an entrepreneurial franchise owner without the franchise fees. Freedom to have a life outside of work; however the support of a very large and successful company where you can utilize strengths and cultivate long term relationships, while consistently working towards long term residual income. This is a job you can retire with!

A typical day involves hard work, but nothing good is easy. Cold-calling and referral generation is a necessary part of the job for long term success. Great training as well as ongoing support helps a lot. The daily conference calls help especially for someone with little sales background. If you enjoy community and really creating something from the ground up this is for you.

The best part of BVM is the people all the way from the top to the bottom.
Pros
Work life balance, unlimited $$ opportunity