Best Service Pros Employee Reviews

High stress and very unfulfilling
Janitor/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 November 2017
This is a position that I would only recommend if you are desperate. There is no reward for hard work. The management have big ego trips and expect to be worshiped. The management does not treat the staff equally and will punish you if you do not brown nose. There is No work life balance, they make you do online training unpaid on your own time. No benefits to speak of.
Pros
you can listen to music when working
Cons
everything else
Good Job for Day Hours/Friendly individuals to work with
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB22 August 2017
I started with Best Service Pros. when I first moved to Cold Lake, my mother in law was working there at the time and helped get my foot in the door. I enjoyed working there it was different work every day, the hours never went past 5pm so it is a great place to work for anyone with children under 12
Pros
Work at your own pace
Cons
Management didn't value their employees
Good job for students
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB2 May 2017
My first ever job, it had a lot of shakeups in management when I worked there but otherwise it was a solid work experience. Really easy job duties and casual work environment (put in your headphones and work).

Pay was great for the duties that I was performing, even a possible overpay.

Hours were great for a student (4pm-9pm) but I couldn't imagine doing that in my adult years now.
Pros
paid lunch, good (even over) pay, short shifts
Cons
part-time only, would have to be willing to clean some AWFUL toilet seats
Challenging Job
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 April 2017
For you to become successful in your work is to have a good foundation on work values. Always think than your not only applying for a "Job " but a career.
Pros
awards
Cons
very challenging job
Well organized job site. Some morning shifts available, but mostly from 4 p.m. to midnight.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 April 2017
The company accepts people who are advanced in years also.
Crew is Filipino based. Very nice and helpful people.
Work is hard, but manageable, not too bad.
Management is reasonable.
There is now a new rule: Persons who have some medical problem, like hernia, bad back, previous operations of some sort, etc. should not apply, because some heavy lifting is involved.
Recommended. Apply to their office site with resume, address can be found in the Internet. They will call, when positions open.
Pros
Crew is helpful, if any questions. Extra persons are put to help, when needed.
Cons
One can always discuss any work related issue with the manager, they are reasonable and understanding.
Low wage/Hard work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC2 March 2017
Get paid minimum wage. You work hard the whole time you are there. They don't keep employees, and go through a lot of people. No proper training, they just throw you to someone and you hope they are the type of person who will explain things to you because if not you have to figure it out on your own.
If you pay people a wage they can live on, people would probably stay but they don't.
They don't care about their employees.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Have to wear uniforms, minimum wage
Terribly management there a joke
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 January 2017
They say there a family oriented company, but what family could live of what they pay. Manager was splitting shifts and paying people less because she could in the recession. Would never recommend this company, there going around underbidding every one, stealing work like the scabs they are. This job might pay for half of a typical house hold bill.
Pros
Non
Cons
it will keep you broke
Awesome people to work with
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 September 2016
My co-workers at the location we were at were the most fun people to work with. I miss them all. I have to say that I really enjoyed my role with Best and working alongside my co-workers. We had a lot of laughs together.

The downside was the low wage and a high turnover rate of custodial employees. If you have good workers and you want to keep them, then reward them accordingly to entice them to stay, otherwise you're going to lose those valuable people.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
Very low wages, no benefits.
Unorganized management with little to no communication skills
Custodian (Former Employee) –  UBCO5 September 2016
A typical day at work was being assigned a building and cleaning it. We were often understaffed and never properly instructed on how to do our duties. Management was often doing their own thing and neglected things like equipment repair and employee complaints. my co-workers were mostly kids that had just graduated high school. Hardest part of the job was figuring out what i would have to neglect for the evening since we were always understaffed.
Pros
ok hours (4pm-12am)
Cons
bad management and lazy co-workers
co-workers are the worst
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC31 May 2016
the job is great, its fun and it keeps you fit. but my co-workers were a nightmare, good pay. honestly would not recommend anyone to work there as long as the other co-workers are still there. they take pictures of you without permission to photoshop mean things on it and post it on social media sites.
Custodian
Janitor/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB30 November 2015
I didn't mind the job at all, the co-worker's iv'e worked with are awesome. I'ts the pay actually that bothered me, we've worked so hard & the pay wasn't so great.
Best
Site Manager - Exterior Division (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, bc29 June 2015
Best Service Pros, was a large company with many different things to learn, however with that being said the management was full of empty promises and rude to the women who worked there. On a daily basis I feared for my job.
Pros
great hours
Cons
rude mangement
great place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Athabasca AB31 March 2015
Hard work but great people who care about your well being. Management always provides clear direction and has little problem gaining compliance from others. Management provides consistent, valuable performance feedback, and always dedicates considerable effort to developing the skills of co-workers.
Pros
i know my daily routine
Cons
they dont pay for gas
Okay workplace
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 January 2015
Good people to work with.
Good Environment.
Okay paid.
Fast-paced on busy days.
Great starting job.
Learn new thing to better your job.
clean work place area.
Maintenance Laborer for SAIT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 July 2014
Maintain classrooms and installations clean an organized for students and staff
Best is a good but not excellent company to work for.
Janitorial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2014
A typical day at work would begin with my looking at the message book to see if my boss wanted me to do anything specific. I would also check with the other supervisor on night shift to see if all of his people had shown up for work. If not, then I would have to lend him one of my people; regular cleaning took priority over project work. If so, then one of my men and I would do whatever floor work was assigned while another would do floor buffing.

Laundry would also have to be done. Best cleans all of its drygoods rather than contracting it out. One of my staff or I had to keep the company's washer and dryer working all night long. Rags, mop heads, and dust mop heads were all washed and dried.

Emergencies had to be dealt with, too. I once had a flood to clean up. I had to marshall 3 men and 4 autoscrubbers to clean it up.

I learned 2 valuable lessons in this job. Firstly, do EXACTLY what the boss wants. Secondly, pay attention to detail. Forgetting something important can get you into trouble.

Management at Best was mixed. There are great bosses to work for, and some not so great.

My fellow supervisors were great. The night shift supervisor for the regular cleaning was especially warm and generous.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with staff members who spoke very little English. The janitorial business uses largely first generation immigrants, and not being able to tell them what to do can be frustrating if their English skills are inadequate.

The most enjoyable part of the job was solving a serious problem on my own volition. When
  more... I was able to do that, I could go home at the end of my shift thinking that I could just walk on air!  less
Pros
Management would occasionally show its appreciation by buying breakfast or pizza for the staff.
Cons
There were no company benefits at all (eg: pension, dental, medical, etc.
night time work
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 July 2013
Grave yard shift. great co workers. Hardest part of job was sleeping all day then work all night
Pros
winprizes for contests
Cons
greveyard work hard to get used to
Its a Job
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB13 October 2012
Cleaning up is a busy job. I don't believe this is a long term career for myself. Management and supervisory staff know that I am working temporarily and until I get a job as a Power Engineer. So far its decent but at the rate I'm working for its simply not enough, especially to travel 2 hours a day and not getting any travel pay plus no possibility of worker benefits is very inadequate.
Pros
early start and early stops.
Cons
no real future for a career, paid hourly so no salary.