Best Buy Employee Reviews

Very productive workplace and you learn something new everyday.
Connected Solutions Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON8 January 2017
The most enjoyable part of the work is that hitting the target and talking to customers about products. You will not ever find this type of co-workers in any other retail workplace, they're like a family at work.
Pros
Free lunches on busy days
Cons
Long hours if you're willing to stay
productive and fun workplace
Product Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 January 2017
shifting hours
good management
fun at work
sometimes short or low man-hours
good discount for employees
busy/peak hours usually during afternoon to early evening
Great place to work with excellent managers and an excellent atmosphere.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 May 2016
I worked for Best Buy in Guelph from July 2015 to the end of April 2016. I had an overall very positive experience with the company. I learned how to develop my sales skills and learned to work in a competitive based retail environment. I had excellent people to work with and I have no complaints about my co-workers. My managers were excellent as well and always cared about employees and made sure they had a voice.

The one thing that made me leave the company was the wage based pay and the limited opportunities for advancement that I saw. I am a very competitive person and a non-commission environment did not make sense to me as a salesman. I also saw very little room to move up as the same management had been there for a long time.

Overall, great place to work and I had no complaints about the job itself or the people.
Pros
Great people, flexible hours, positive atmosphere
Cons
No commission, hard to advance, low wages
Fast Paced fun place work
Product Process Senior (Former Employee) –  Ottawa South, ON4 May 2016
good experience all the way around. the treat employees well and put a lot of effort in to team building. Strong support structure and Managed in a very open and up front way
Pros
top notch Benefits
Cons
Never get Christmas off, Store needs can seeing family during holidays hard
Great workplace, very good Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 February 2017
Workplace was amazing, the management team is very professional and are always there to help you out. Co-Workers are great too, to be honest not really anything negative to say about the company or the store, they genuinely try to help out customers and their warranties are very useful when it comes to protecting your products.
Pros
Great Management, Great Work Atmosphere
Cons
It was a good time and I learned a lot of important life skills
Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB6 November 2016
I had a very good time at Best Buy it was a very educational job. I met some very nice people and added upon my growing ability to work in a work place and it had really helped in teaching me how to adapt to stressful situations.
Pros
Free food, fun workplace
Cons
Long hours, occasionally slow
Fun people to work with and middle management that cares about its staff
REPACK/SHIPPING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC Canada3 January 2017
Good starter place to learn about warehouse work. Some opportunities to move up but is very competitive. With some stores closing down in recent years, a lot of layoffs have happened in the DC and the general morale has gone down because of this job insecurity.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Difficult to gain permanent employment
Alright place to work but management kills it
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 October 2016
Starbucks was a decent place to pick up some extra income while I was in school but the management brought down the quality of the workplace culture. Hours were very hard to get and expectations were extremely high. Pay was mediocre.
Great team to work with and it was a great environment at my store!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2016
I was happy with my time at Best Buy. Our workdays as managers usually consisted of answering emails, making sure the computers and systems to sell phones were up and running, helping customers find their perfect mobile solution, and making sure the staff is performing their job duties in addition to coaching them to ensure they're constantly improving. I would say the hardest and most fulfilling part of the job, at my location at least, was dealing with the clientele. It was a great feeling once someone was able to get a phone, but getting them approved was a challenge.
Pros
Being in control of your store, being able to build a great team
Cons
The clientele at the mall I was at was not the most desirable
Not a great workplace, poor management.
Senior Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Senior Repair Technician19 December 2016
GM of the Vernon location is a certified bully. I was on the spot given the option to quit or be fired, after 3 consecutive years of the best technical service that store ever gave. I have hundreds of clients that can attest to this, however I feel this was some sort of personal decision, one that should always stay out of business.
Excellent training and opportunity for advancement
Sales Associate (Home Solutions) (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC23 August 2016
Best Buy is a great place to work, with fantastic training programs and lots of opportunity for advancement.

The sales position is made much less stressful with a no commission strategy, and employees are given a range of techniques to close sales in a more constructive way for the customer. Associates are encouraged to sell the right products rather than the most expensive ones, allowing you to build better trust and a better long term relationship with the customer. Between e-learnings and seminars, associates are given many tools to properly assess the customer's needs, and get them the best solution.

The company encourages promotions and hiring from within for their Geek Squad and corporate positions. I personally want to get into the Geek Squad, and I've been put on the track to get there. I'm very happy with this company, and can see a long career with them.
Pros
Good break room, friendly co-workers, team building exercises
Cons
Difficult to get hours when first starting
Good Part-Time Job to have during School
Mobile Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2016
Best Buy was a good part-time job for me while finishing up University, pay is min wage or slightly above. Management were accommodating with school hours and personal life.
Pros
Relaxed mangemernt
Cons
wage
Amazing!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB26 October 2016
Very fun place to work, and every one is always working hard and making sure the customers are treated amazing well! The management are all very fair and make sure we are never without help, and always able to help with customers! The hardest part can be if a customer had an assumption or was misinformed and takes it out on an associate, so we quickly apologize and rectify any issues or concerts in a way that ensures everyone leaves happy and satisfied!
Pros
Fun and friendly!
"OKAY" Job. Poor Management
Connected Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE15 January 2017
Work environment wasn't too bad, long shifts of standing & walking. Management was horrible. When i needed appropriate keys to obtain locked up product for customers, all radios were silent for long periods of time, so the customer had to wait for a long time.
Pros
Socializing with customers / Good Pay
Cons
Poor Management
Productive and fun work environment
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 November 2016
Fantastic place to be and build a career.. Lots of great accessories and electronics to check. fantastic work environment lots of positive energy and great employeees
Pros
free lunches
Cons
competitive and challenging work
Amazing environment, great culture with lots of opportunities to grow
Distribution Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 February 2017
Amazing environment, great culture with lots of opportunities to grow personally and professionally. Leadership is open and engaged to make organization and team succeed
Pros
Fun Environment, challenging
Cons
weekend schedule
Decent place to work
MCSA (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC7 February 2016
Probably my favorite place to work, due to me actively enjoying the tech industry and working in it. The management was great at first, but during the holiday season it obviously got a little worse, but you can't really complain about that. Overall great company, and if given the chance I'd love to work there again, as I was on a Seasonal Contract.
Pros
Food provided for holidays, benefits, great staff, excellent discounts
Cons
Holiday Season
Fun and energetic workplace
Mobile Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC9 December 2016
Best Buy is a dynamic place, with customers coming in and out of the store all day. The management works hard to make sure all employees give their best, not only to the company, but to customers as well.
The hardest part is the eventual impolite customer. The best part is the team and the energy.
Pros
Great discounts for staff
Cons
Impolite customers
Enjoyable first job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS14 January 2017
During my seasonal position as a cashier at Best Buy I learned many key customer service strategies. It was my first job and I didn't know what was needed to ensure a customer was happy leaving a company or business. Best Buy helped show me ways and techniques to ensure my customer was happy with our services. After my few weeks of training I was able to serve my customer with ease, answer any questions they may have and ensure they left with a positive experience.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Seasonal
Fun to work at and they have good discounts
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 December 2016
Great place to work at as a starting job. Management is one of the best i have seen. they give you hours when you ask for extra hours and understand your situation when you can't make it to work.
Pros
Free food orders every once in a while
Cons
Being a Greeter in Cold canadian winter