Best Buy

7.5K reviews

Best Buy Employee Reviews

Great Sales Experience
Connected Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONDecember 3, 2015
The job was fun for employees. But you could also see the structural problems of management and the way the company operated from the ground floor employee level. From the sales floor, you could see redundancies and customer behaviour that made you question how the company was making money sometimes. And this eventually led to the falling of Future Shop (similar model).
Fun and engaging with current technologies
Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLNovember 24, 2015
Typical day at work is talking to customers and narrow down the solution that best fits their lifestyle.

Learned how to demonstrate features of products, listen to a customer's needs and recomment the best solution for the customer.

Management is very helpful in teaching staff communication skills and tools required to deliver the best customer service.

The hardest part of the job is working around during the christmas season since the traffic flow is much higher.

The enjoyable part is when it's a fast paced environment, it pushes you to apply everything you learned to be able to help as many customers with top notch service
Pros
Keeping up with current technologies
Cons
Sporadic hours
Very energetic and fun
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCNovember 11, 2015
I had a great time there, unfortunately I was hired knowing I was working a seasonal position. I enjoyed the customers because they were very knowledgable in electronics which I relate to. I would love to work there again!
Pros
Very high energy
Cons
Seasonal positon
Fun and fast paced
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 9, 2015
I am currently at Best Buy, and it is a fun job, but the hours a bad and not many shifts. Its very fun but seems one sided. Learned more about inventory management and communication between co workers.
Pros
fun
Cons
minimal hours
Learning curve
Merchandising Senior (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONNovember 9, 2015
I was thrown into this position and did not get much training until after 3months of being there. Once training started it was a lot to learn in such a short time. I took notes and reference online training courses. I was in charge of an all male staff, which at first was daunting as I was criticized for my physical strength. Once the boys saw that i could lift anything they could all was well!
Pros
free treats in the lunch room every other week
Cons
not enough room for internal growth
Best buy review
Sales (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABNovember 4, 2015
The people were nice and the company was well structure but i applied because it wasn't commission so i wasn't pressured to sell things to people who didn't need them. Then the management began to apply pressure that i didn't believe in.
a fun fast paced work life experience
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 20, 2015
Responsible of insuring our daily, monthly and yearly sales quotas are met or exceeded. Working with individuals and mentoring them on bettering their sales skills to help achieve the overall numbers while providing excellent customer services to our customers.
Pros
working with all departments
Cons
the hours - retail has evening positions
Working at Best Buy
Best Buy Mobile Lead (Former Employee) –  Weston and Highway 7October 19, 2015
Could be very demanding at times depending where we stood on the National Score Card. Learn about a lot of new tech coming to stores and also how to deal with customer issues and making sure they are taken care of. Management was fair and expected you to come to them with any concerns or ideas of improvement yo felt was needed. Co-workers were all easy going and fun to work with and made the job the most enjoyable. Hardest part of the job was trying to tackle a customer issue that wasn't going in the path you intended and when that happens I would team up with management to get a resolve.
Pros
Best Buy employee purchases on items and events
Cons
sometime longer than expected hours and unattainable goal expectations
Productive learning experience
Product Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONOctober 19, 2015
Taught me lessons in merchandising, inventory management and also customer service. I enjoyed working with my coworkers and managers and working towards the satisfaction of customers.
Pros
Free lunches every staff meeting
Cons
long hours during the holidays
decent workplace with low job security
Supervisor at Best buy Canada (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 14, 2015
It is a good company, especially if you are in school and are looking for a part time job. the management is decent and it is easy to move up in the company because they are always looking for people
Pros
easy promotion
Cons
bad job security
productive n fun place
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  BramptonSeptember 30, 2015
There was a lot of variety in days work. A lot of politics.Co- workers were helpful. Best part was to deal with different types/ cultures of customers coming in the store.
Best Buy is an amazing place to work at because of the amazing and enthusiastic environment.
sales associate (Current Employee) –  south edmonton commonSeptember 28, 2015
Every time I go there i get instructions on what to do and how to do it. We get to pick what we want to do and how we want to do it. My co-workers are amazing and so helpful to each other. The best part of my job is i get to assist different kind of customers everyday and make sure they got exactly what they need.
Pros
good hours
Cons
N/A
Fun atmosphere, eccentric environment
Representative/Samsung Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, OnSeptember 25, 2015
Typical day at work can be either balanced between busy and very busy you are always on your feet and ready at all times for oncoming situations.

Being at best buy has not only taught me to be organized, independent and a team player, it is strongly revolved around clientele support and satisfaction. working in this environment has made me strongly capable of dealing with others problems and simultaneously managing mine to accommodate for others needs. Being a leader and giving constructive criticism to help improve myself and peers has given great results in the field as being apart of the best buy corporation.

Management is always there if there is issues and concerns. asking questions and opportunities has always been open for qualifications.
scheduling can be tedious at times although there is always ways to comprehend the dilemma.

Peers and coworkers are always active and engaged in being positive towards each other wether the altercation. "Do not let differences come between the professional work space". I choose to deal with those situation either one on one or with a higher position amidst.

The most difficult part of the job can be to stay within a good element at all times despite the fact of busy traffic, angry clients or frustration outside of work, although based off what i have learned it hasn't been a problem for me as an individual to formulate techniques around those obstacles.

Work can always be fun depending on what you make of the situation
to sum up what i enjoy about my job is to build rapport and seeing a smile on someones face knowing
  more... they will remember me as individual who laid a positive track on their journey through life, that to me is satisfactory at its finest.  less
Pros
Credibility for hard work
Cons
Scheduling
Relaxed and interactive environment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  torontoSeptember 21, 2015
It was easy to get along with fellow staff members. I was productive and adaptable with all work tasks. The most rewarding part of my Best Buy experience was becoming knowledgeable about electronics and sales.
Good
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 21, 2015
Best Buy was a great experience. It was clean friendly and everyone worked hard together to get to the days goal. felt like family in a sense management was good.
Please beware!
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Woodridge, ILSeptember 18, 2015
I have worked for the Best Buy Warehouse in Woodridge, IL for 10 years.
The first 5 years was wonderful.

Best Buy was great at showing their employees appreciation:
We would receive raises twice a year.
They would throw Holiday parties, with food and raffled gifts(TV’s/gift cards..)
Management would go out on the warehouse floor, greet and interact with the staff.
It was really a great place to be proud to work for.

Once, the Warehouse went under new management everything changed.
The company stopped raises completely over 3 years ago..

I was told that we would be getting a raise this year.
The family and I were pretty excited about it until we received my check.
The company that I have put my blood, sweat and time into, thought I was only worth 5 cents…

This company does not promote employees internally.
For years, Best Buy would promise employees promotions but then hire externally. (Leads, Supervisors and Managers)
I have been promised personally about 7 times over the 10 years..

Management treats their employees like they are replaceable objects.
You approach them with an issue or concern, it is brushed under the rug.

Recently, HR had a meeting with all the staff and congratulated the new employees on their $0.75 raise.
A few employees who have been at Best Buy as long as I have, approached HR about their $0.05 raise.
The HR Rep. just shrugged his shoulders and walked away..

Another example..
I have a “go getter” personality and I love helping people.
So, when my Manager asked if I could go to Best Buy’s other warehouse and help out,
  more... I was delighted.
The Supervisor at that location appreciated the help and noticed my potential and knowledge of company.
A few days later, I was talking with that Supervisor and my Manager about a few things.
The Supervisor asked me if front of my Manager, if I would be interested in being his lead at the new warehouse.
Of course, I was like YES PLEASE!
Well, my Manager shot that down quick..
He said that ”I was his best picker and he couldn’t afford to lose me on the floor.”
I was speechless, what company would hold their own employees back from success?

Of course, there is much much more I could talk about..
I just pray that, those of you interested in this company, please take my review into consideration.
Grew Unenjoyable
Connected Solutions Senior/Apple Master (Former Employee) –  Warden and EglingtonSeptember 12, 2015
Started as a Part-Time associate. Worked quite hard to achieve high revenue and customer service. Lead Team of associates. Lead in Sales. Refused to consider raise or promotion without proper reasoning. Immature management staff
Product process specialist( media position )
product process specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill high techSeptember 9, 2015
Really o.k when your in co-op than possible chance ,I recently became a part time , but I`m still doing the same positions in co-op ( movies , down stocking , putting prices tags and pricing movies). Really I feel that the manager is really making an excuse for to fire me! but really I manage to do my best coping this part time and looking for new job part time job in future. Surly that the manager would be happy but really good discounts, dental benefits , like insurance. Even as student (full time and taking part time continue education in post secondary school). But maybe there might be possible that I might become a full part time product process position, or I might just find another before the manager take me out of the job.
Pros
really comfortable environment, good discounts, general manager is great and great supervisor
Cons
low days, lack of hours or no days at all and no promotions
Best place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 7, 2015
I loved working at Best Buy, friendly staff, great work environment, never shortage of hours. Amazing workplace experience that I would love to endure at another company.
Interactive and alert place to be
Home solution specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 2, 2015
Great place to work at. I was getting to many hours at the time as I was still in school. Just graduated and im looking for any type of work especially welding or general labourer
Pros
great discounts
Cons
long days standing around