Best Buy Employee Reviews

okay starter job
CUSTOMER SERVICE/SALES (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 December 2016
Not a bad place to work. Not a lot of opportunity unless you want to relocate. Lots of employees come and go here it seemed.
Pros
customer interaction
Cons
benefits, hours
Productive workplace with amazing cafeteria
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 January 2017
Productive days of working.

Learned how to use a scanner
Learned how to drive a walkie machine
Learned how to palletize
Learned how to ship products

Management was very professional when handling warehouse issues.

Co-workers were amazing,

Hardest part of the job was lifting awkward-handling heavy items.

Best part of the job was the co-workers and the break room (cafeteria)
Pros
Employee appreciation day. enjoyable co-workers.
Cons
Long hours for some who choose. Holidays become increasingly difficult to keep up with
great benefits and retirement savings plan even for part-time
Best Buy Mobile Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario25 April 2016
100% employer matched retirement plan (you can put away up to 4% for anyone that has been there for less than 3 years, more for people that are there longer) and awesome benefits even for part time people. management is hit or miss, either amazing or pretty mediocre. decent pay, with raises every year if you perform above expectations (which is not difficult). co-workers are awesome, super fun place to work. discounts are pretty decent as well. really great position for high schoolers and university students
Pros
benefits, retirement savings, discounts
Cons
not really an adult job
Great Environment and Culture
Geek Squad Agent (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 January 2017
A good company that takes the effort in training their employees to ensure their customers get the best experience possible.

As an employee, you learn to become self-sufficient and take responsibility for your work. If you are looking to turn this into a career, then the store management do take the time to help you climb the corporate ladder.

Store meetings are a great resource and keep everyone in touch with how the company is doing even making seasonal and part time hires feel welcome.
Great people, terrible pay
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON25 April 2016
This corporation has a great atmosphere and hires amazing people who are easy to get along with. The issue with this company is it pays very low but traps you with random raises (like 2%) and benefits. In sales you are expected to meet sales requirements, sell warranties and services, however there are no incentives (such as commission) to doing this.
If you are a single person with no debt and live modestly this is a great place to work. You have the ability, if you are ambitious and prove yourself, to advance in the workplace, but you have to be patient, it takes a lot of time to get somewhere where its worth staying.
productive, and great environment to work in
Connected Solutions Specialist (Employee Position) (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON19 February 2017
I've learned great customer service skills and sales skills, improving my skills progressively as I work there. A typical day will be restocking shelfs with units, putting some devices on demo displays, consulting customers with products and recommending services that will benefit them. As well as cleaning the tills and display areas when the store is closing. The management is fantastic, as they listen to my recommendations and concerns I might have. The hardest part of the job is when there isn't much customer traffic through the store and meeting the sales goals we want to reach. The most enjoyable part of working at Best Buy is everything, the staff is amazing, there is great customer experience and much to learn on and off the job.
Fun workplace, management.....needs work
Multi-Channel Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON20 February 2017
Depending on your location, the management can be great, a good team-leader, always listening to you and helping you out. Or they can be controlling, or even worse, extremely passive about everything.

I found that the people I worked with, not including management, were the life of the work environment. They support each other whenever they can and made BestBuy a place I wanted to go into everyday and work at.

If you like technology, you'll always be learning something new here and be surrounded by like-minded people. Even if you think you don't know enough.

Again, this could change depending on which 'box' you're applying to.
Cool people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 December 2016
I met lots of cool people there.
It is a younger work force, and I started out with an older crew, so it was a big change. Sometimes it does feel like you are babysitting and they can make pretty big mistakes that are hard to fix.
Management was my biggest issue, they did not make great decisions for the long term of the buisness, and we're not good leaders. They would push blame to their employees, as well as not helping with creating solutions, just pushing it off to others.
I did meet some cool people though and I did enjoy what I did day to day as a home theatre installer.
Pros
Fast paced sales floor
Cons
Long holiday season, management
Great job
Product Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 December 2016
As soon as I got in I went straight to the warehouse to get up to speed with what needed to be done and started work right away. I learned how to receive and ship trucks. The management at the highest level was really good, but for the lower management such as the supervisors it seemed lackluster. Not very good coordination with team. Co-workers were great people had a lot of fun working with them. The hardest part of the job was during truck shipment days, very busy and hectic in the warehouse, needed to work fast. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with co-workers.
Pros
Price reduction on alot of in-store purchases.
Cons
Very early starting shifts for my position (4am)
Fast paced while still maintaining a friendly environmment
Customer Experience Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 October 2016
Working at Best Buy is always a fun and enjoyable experience. The employees are very friendly and welcoming, and are always willing to help when needed.

A typical day at work entails walking in and just starting your work day. There is no unnecessary tasks that need to be done prior to your shift, and everyone else who is working is always there to warmly greet you.

In my six months working, my co-workers make me feel as if I have been working there over a year and have always been there for me when I need their help. It is very easy to be myself while working and maintaining proper work ethics.
Pros
relaxing environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
long hours, can be exhausting
A workplace that illustrates having fun while being the best.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON22 January 2017
Everyday at Bestbuy is different, but its same in the fact that everyday is an exciting and fun day. I learned alot through bestbuy. I learned how to manage a team. How to run a department smoothly. How to hit targets in a fun and productive way so that all employees are really engaged to work. The workplace culture is always friendly and fun. Everyone is always smiling at work and you can go to anyone when you need help! The mornings are started with a game that will get everyone perked up for the exciting day ahead. I enjoyed coming to work and just giving exceptional customer service, allowing the our clients to always come back looking for me!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 February 2017
I really enjoyed working for Best Buy. Management was very good at keeping everyone on the ball to what is happen. Management worked hard which makes me work harder. Excellent training.
Pros
product seminars
Cons
hours - shifts
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario30 October 2016
Not many companies are as accommodating as Best Buy. When it comes to family obligations as well as things like school, other jobs, etc. they are always very accommodating. It is hard to deal with tough customers as well as the drama that goes a long with having over 60 employees at one time. You do make a lot of friends but sometimes that is a double edged sword so to speak. Management can sometimes be tough depending on who, but for the most part, they just want whats best for you as an employee and the company as well, because it is a business. You are often motivated to sell a lot as expected in most retail jobs but do not make commission.
Pros
Understanding and work environment
Cons
DRAMA and no commission
Cruel and Disorganized nightmare
Operations (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 December 2016
Not a good place to work if you are a new employee coming in as a part of a leadership team. The senior employees do not take well to a newbie despite the new addition being a friendly and hard worker. Place is full of untrue rumors and the staff own the management. Sometimes a lot of jealousy and childish rumors if staff feel they were wronged. Management plays you for a fool and uses you until you have completed a job for them and then ditches you, for their benefit.
Pros
Staff discounts.
Cons
False rumors and a place for students to work while in school. Not for adults.
productiveve place
Computer Technician (geek squad agent) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 January 2017
Amazing place to work and have fun at the same time with committed work culture, a relaxed atmosphere. provide a good sense of security,training and a mix of culture and diversity. ability to thrive and learn capable skills also the flexibility of working in any department you qualified for,
Pros
relaxed working enviroment
Cons
not a very diplomatic management team
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative/Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 March 2017
I was hired seasonal but had great time working there. Management is very friendly and the environment is fun to work in. If I were to reapply I would do it but currently I'm looking for a career job in my field.
I just didn't enjoy it
Home Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 March 2017
Personally, the job wasn't for me. It was boring work, making me clean everything literally ten times per shift if it wasn't busy. I didn't have ideal hours and they were not flexible with them at all. I also was aware after 3 months of working there, they were over staffed and to be honest, I never felt like my job was secure.

One day I wanted to go see my grand father and they refused to give me the time off. The sad par was that would have been the last time I saw him. He died a week later and I am a high school student so it's not like I could leave.

The worst part about the whole experience is I worked there for 8 months an they never TRAINED me. They even trained those who were hired after me so when the economy crashed I was the most logical lay-off.

I believe this is the second worst job I ever had,
very busy sometimes and not so busy other times
mobile lead speciealist (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK2 March 2017
Usually the day begins with auditing of all the cell phone pricing. then we have a store meeting at the end of it we play a game of ball or what ever the manager see fit.
the doors open and we begin serving customers. if there are no customers we do e learning or organize the mobile area. when I have associates working with me I train or quiz them on new plans and promotions.
Pros
lots of deal making freedom
Cons
no commissions
Product Process = 4 hours per week
Product Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 January 2017
I love the people at Best Buy, but for whatever reason, from Christmas 2016 on, the part-timers in Product Process only get 4 hours per week. 8 hours if you are lucky. Best Buy, how the heck am I supposed to pay my mortgage on that ??? I didn't even get any hours on Boxing Day !! How mind-boggling is that ??? On Boxing Day it's supposed to be "all hands on deck" with people working up to 12 hours if they want it. But I never got the chance to even participate ! If you want to work at Best Buy, work as a Cashier or at Ops, they're the ones who get the hours. Stay away from Product Process! In 2015 I was able to work 30 hours per week which kept me up to date on my mortgage, but not anymore! Forget you Best Buy Canada, I am gone and I am never going back !!!
Pros
Nice co-workers, getting good discounts on cables and batteries
Cons
4 hours per week.
Horrible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON21 February 2017
Worked at Best Buy as my first job in high school. They were not willing to accommodate with my schooling and I was scheduled to work nearly every day of the week even after explaining that I couldn't. The pay is minimum wage which is fine if it's just a part time job. Management was absolutely awful. Treated people so poorly and were so full of themselves, and so were the employees. No one was willing to help at all.
Cons
Awful management, not many breaks if any, not willing to accommodate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy. Our community is ready to answer.