Best Buy Employee Reviews

good start for learning marketing
Manager or senior of connected solution section (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJanuary 26, 2016
Bestbuy is a really good place and i really enjoy working there. Its very fun and very productive. a place that you always learn something new from it. full of challenges which i really like. full of pressure but and stress which might make you mad but at least its not boring most of the times. I've learned so much in bestbuy especially in electronics section. Management part was one of the challenges that I had. at start i made some mistakes but i learned from it and and from now on i know how to face to problems and i think out of 10 i give my self 8.5. Still so many things to learn but I'm doing good.
The hardest part of this job to keep up sale and services in the dead and busy time of the store. the thing is when the store is dead we have good numbers on services but not in sales and in busy time is vice verse. Our job is too balance the numbers.
Pros
employ discounts
Cons
salary
Warehouse Workplace
Product Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at work depending on the day is pretty busy, always work to be done, on Wednesdays and Thursdays those are our truck days so there is lots of work to be done.

I learned to always keep an open mind because no work day is repeated there is always something different to do everyday

Management is good at what they do, i have nothing bad to say

the hardest part about my job is trying to get everyone on the same page and do the same amount of work, there is always at least 1 or 2 people in every department who do not want to do the work required and that's frustrating for me

i enjoy almost every aspect of my job, i love doing plan-o-grams and putting up new demos, i like keeping the warehouse as clean as possible.
Pros
we get a 30 minutes lunch
Cons
only 71/2 hour shifts instead of the full 8 hours
Decent place to work
MCSA (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 7, 2016
Probably my favorite place to work, due to me actively enjoying the tech industry and working in it. The management was great at first, but during the holiday season it obviously got a little worse, but you can't really complain about that. Overall great company, and if given the chance I'd love to work there again, as I was on a Seasonal Contract.
Pros
Food provided for holidays, benefits, great staff, excellent discounts
Cons
Holiday Season
Flexible job with a great supportive team
Product Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCMarch 8, 2016
I've loved working at the Best Buy Chilliwack location. The management is sincerely interested in their employees and their long term goals and is flexible with positions, and hours.

The staff there is quite young (between late teens and mid twenties) but aside from a little gossip, the team works well together and are eager to spend time outside of work.

The most frustrating things mostly revolve around corporate communications or outdated fixtures and tools but from my experience the head office staff are very involved and aware of concerns and want to help. It just generally takes a while.

This store is ranked one of the highest in the company not only for sales and customer experience but also for staff satisfaction.
Pros
supportive management, flexible hours, fun staff
Cons
gossip
Bestbuy Warehoure
Bestbuy Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCFebruary 20, 2016
-A typical day of work consisted of lifting objects which vary in weight, organizing, and putting them away to their designated area.

-What I learned from the job is that safety is the most important thing along with productivity.

-Management was very understanding and straight forward regarding to having a flexible schedule and with what they expected from you as an employee. Co-workers were also very helpful and enjoyable to be around.

-Hardest part of the job would be doing tasks efficiently as there are many products to be separated so it can be difficult to do under a certain amount of time. Meanwhile the most enjoyable part of the job would be working with other people because having someone to work with made it feel like you weren't at work.
Pros
Great cafeteria, accessible parking, Great working atmosphere
Cons
Early shifts
Amazing workplace culture and team building organization. Strives Sales Experts to step outside their boundaries and improve interpersonal skills.
Sales Expert (Home Solutions) (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONSeptember 20, 2016
BestBuy gives employees a vast amount of opportunities to understand the linguistics and skills needed in order to be a successful salesman, while at the same time promoting quality service to consumers. Managing staff are often competent and helpful with sales and product knowledge and can offer some great advice to improve productivity. The cultural atmosphere is welcoming but can seem challenging at first due to a results oriented nature of the departments, but once a employee gets used to the products and process, sales becomes less challenging.
Pros
Great working atmosphere, product discounts, technology knowledge to help products used at home.
Cons
Retail Hours, Weekend Shifts, Overflow of Consumers on holidays or events
Flexible and Honest Work Environment
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 17, 2016
I learned more interpersonal and communication skills being a part of the Best Buy community. I enjoyed the benefits and the work/life balance.
Pros
Discounts
Corrupt!
PPA (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 16, 2016
This company is so corrupt it's not even funny! I would assume the other location is the same way, but when I started working at Best Buy, it was fast, easy, and great communication. I started on cash, then I got moved to another location for PPA team, turns out this place was run by foreigners and once I started working at this location, they laid me off for no reason!

The management is so evil, when I got moved to that location, there were very few Canadian citizen workers, most of the employees I talked to were specifically from India area, none of them spoke English or any at all.

In addition to the lay off, a supervisor told me he got laid off shortly after I did. I love this company, I hate the people who work there!
Pros
Tech lovers will enjoy working here as much as I did
Cons
Beware who's managing your location...
Great Work Environment
Connected Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 11, 2016
Best buy is a great place to work, mainly because of the environment you are working in. The people who work their are great and easy to get along with and the sales floor offers the ability to increase your customer service as well as communication skills as there are constant opportunities to talk with the general public as well as your cooworkers. Management is great as well, they are friendly, and motivational offering up their knowledge and experience on a daily basis to help their staff succeed in monthly goals as well as other goals the individual may have.
Great for part time students, awesome benefits
Loss Prevention Specialist/Product Process Senior (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 18, 2016
A typical day at work involved a an equal amount of physical labor and customer service. Team work was essential and developing good interpersonal skills was key to success both with customers and fellow employees. Met a lot of interesting people in different phases of their lives and learned much from them. Management was the key difference between a store that ran well and one that struggled. Hardest part of the job was the time demands especially during the holidays. Best part of the job was the benefits that even part timers are eligible for. Better than a lot of places at a similar pay level.
Very good company to work for. Friendly environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMarch 4, 2016
Very good company to work for. Friendly environment. Felt very welcome and organized. Management was very good to us and make us want to work harder
Excellent training and opportunity for advancement
Sales Associate (Home Solutions) (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCAugust 23, 2016
Best Buy is a great place to work, with fantastic training programs and lots of opportunity for advancement.

The sales position is made much less stressful with a no commission strategy, and employees are given a range of techniques to close sales in a more constructive way for the customer. Associates are encouraged to sell the right products rather than the most expensive ones, allowing you to build better trust and a better long term relationship with the customer. Between e-learnings and seminars, associates are given many tools to properly assess the customer's needs, and get them the best solution.

The company encourages promotions and hiring from within for their Geek Squad and corporate positions. I personally want to get into the Geek Squad, and I've been put on the track to get there. I'm very happy with this company, and can see a long career with them.
Pros
Good break room, friendly co-workers, team building exercises
Cons
Difficult to get hours when first starting
A very playful and helping environment
Cashier in Operations (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 3, 2016
A typical day at worked involved attending to customers at the cash, showing customers that you are available, cleaning the workspace, and organizing cases by putting them in corresponding bins or putting empty ones in the back storage room. By doing this I learned a lot about technology and how to socialize with others. The management was very nice and playful, they would answer any questions and joked around light-heatedly. Co-workers are also very playful and are always there to give a helping hand.
The hardest part of the job is if you do not know much about the products, it can be difficult to answer a customer's question. Most enjoyable is being able to work in such a great environment and being able to meet so many new people.
Good morale and good leadership, high pressure
Full Time Connected Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 5, 2015
Great management and good workplace morale. The only downside is the corporate culture sometimes feels patronizing, however if you are willing to 'drink the kool-aid' so to speak, you will do very well and go far. Fair enough opportunities for advancement if you show initiative and engagement. Benefits offered at a full-time level, however pay is not super-competitive. Lot's of pressure on selling the service and geek-squad which can sometimes makes you feel like you are putting too much pressure on the customer, but if you follow the sales guidelines and know your product knowledge you will be very successful. If you do well with sales, and make the company money, they will do what they can to keep you on .
Pros
morale, fun workplace environment, good leadership
Cons
patronizing corporate culture, high pressure
Product process specialist( media position )
product process specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill high techSeptember 9, 2015
Really o.k when your in co-op than possible chance ,I recently became a part time , but I`m still doing the same positions in co-op ( movies , down stocking , putting prices tags and pricing movies). Really I feel that the manager is really making an excuse for to fire me! but really I manage to do my best coping this part time and looking for new job part time job in future. Surly that the manager would be happy but really good discounts, dental benefits , like insurance. Even as student (full time and taking part time continue education in post secondary school). But maybe there might be possible that I might become a full part time product process position, or I might just find another before the manager take me out of the job.
Pros
really comfortable environment, good discounts, general manager is great and great supervisor
Cons
low days, lack of hours or no days at all and no promotions
Fun place to work
Product Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCSeptember 9, 2016
Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and learning new things. Hardest part of the job was the beginning because the training was not as clear as I expected it to be. Management really cares about your growth with the company and helps you.
Pros
Good benefits such as discounts on certain items, and having fun with coworkers outside of work
Cons
Sometimes we have short staff and its hard surviving through busy hours
Customer Service Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 3, 2016
The people are the best part about this job. This job completely relies on teamwork and communication. Hardest part of this job are the rushes and some management issues. Management issues completely depend on location. The major thing I learned while working there is to overcome your fears and develop excellent customer service skills.
Pros
The people
Monotonous environment
Connected Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 14, 2016
Everyone is seated doing the qork required of them. Friendly co-workers and efficient environment. Management was great and friendly; listened to employees. Difficulties arose when a lot of samples were delivered and they had to be examined in a timely manner.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJune 22, 2016
Best buy is a great environment to work in, you learn a lot and management is always willing to help coach you into becoming better and also excelling in your job.

Best part of the job is being able to communicate with customers and gain a more personal connection with your client.

The staff is also always friendly, working with each other to help each other.
Pros
great work environment, management is great
Cons
shift work varies
Trying but enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
Presented and sold products while striving to add on to the sale such as accessories, product protection plans and in home installations.

This being my first position in sales, management really helped me to grow as an individual and honed my skills with customer interaction.