Best Buy Employee Reviews

fun retail
Music Teacher / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 March 2017
really enjoyed my time at Best Buy Canada. I was lucky enough to take part in the grand opening of the barrie store which debuted a music department/ school. It was the best thing i could have done at the time, great benefits, good/ secure pay and i got to play guitar for a lot of it (which is not the case for the rest of the store)

management was a little stuck in high school (mentality wise)

people are great to work with because for the most part its a bunch of college students who don't know what there doing in life haha
Pros
benefits/ security
Cons
advancement
Fun environment to work in
Connected Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2017
Great company to work for, mainly because of the team as well as management.

Only downside was some employees felt they were not getting compensated for the work they would put in. An example would be a few of my old coworkers reaching the number one sales position in CANADA but would get a 20 cents raise.

Another problem would be the way scheduling was handled. We would only get our next weeks schedule a few days in advance... planning a social life around this was very difficult especially since they wanted you to book days off at least 2 weeks prior...
Pros
Very fun environment
Cons
Bad scheduling
very busy sometimes and not so busy other times
mobile lead speciealist (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK2 March 2017
Usually the day begins with auditing of all the cell phone pricing. then we have a store meeting at the end of it we play a game of ball or what ever the manager see fit.
the doors open and we begin serving customers. if there are no customers we do e learning or organize the mobile area. when I have associates working with me I train or quiz them on new plans and promotions.
Pros
lots of deal making freedom
Cons
no commissions
Horrible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON21 February 2017
Worked at Best Buy as my first job in high school. They were not willing to accommodate with my schooling and I was scheduled to work nearly every day of the week even after explaining that I couldn't. The pay is minimum wage which is fine if it's just a part time job. Management was absolutely awful. Treated people so poorly and were so full of themselves, and so were the employees. No one was willing to help at all.
Cons
Awful management, not many breaks if any, not willing to accommodate
Fun workplace, management.....needs work
Multi-Channel Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON20 February 2017
Depending on your location, the management can be great, a good team-leader, always listening to you and helping you out. Or they can be controlling, or even worse, extremely passive about everything.

I found that the people I worked with, not including management, were the life of the work environment. They support each other whenever they can and made BestBuy a place I wanted to go into everyday and work at.

If you like technology, you'll always be learning something new here and be surrounded by like-minded people. Even if you think you don't know enough.

Again, this could change depending on which 'box' you're applying to.
Being Amazing while having fun at work
Counter Intelligence Agent - 3 (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2017
Great place to work if you are interested in Retail industry. Great people works here and make this place an amazing experience for shopping almost everything in the store and online.
Geek Sqaud technicians are the best as they help like a True Friend and not just an employee
Pros
Good Pay, Growth opportunities for those who wish to excel
Cons
Have to deal with unnecessary arguments about the Protections Plans
Best Buy
Best Buy auditor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 January 2017
Best Buy is one of Canada’s largest and most successful retailers, operating the Best Buy (www.bestbuy.ca), Best Buy Mobile, and Geek Squad (www.geeksquad.ca) brands. The Company offers consumers a unique shopping experience with the latest technology and entertainment products, plus an expanded assortment of lifestyle products offered through www.bestbuy.ca, at the right price, with a no-pressure (non-commissioned) sales environment.
A workplace that illustrates having fun while being the best.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON22 January 2017
Everyday at Bestbuy is different, but its same in the fact that everyday is an exciting and fun day. I learned alot through bestbuy. I learned how to manage a team. How to run a department smoothly. How to hit targets in a fun and productive way so that all employees are really engaged to work. The workplace culture is always friendly and fun. Everyone is always smiling at work and you can go to anyone when you need help! The mornings are started with a game that will get everyone perked up for the exciting day ahead. I enjoyed coming to work and just giving exceptional customer service, allowing the our clients to always come back looking for me!
Great Environment and Culture
Geek Squad Agent (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 January 2017
A good company that takes the effort in training their employees to ensure their customers get the best experience possible.

As an employee, you learn to become self-sufficient and take responsibility for your work. If you are looking to turn this into a career, then the store management do take the time to help you climb the corporate ladder.

Store meetings are a great resource and keep everyone in touch with how the company is doing even making seasonal and part time hires feel welcome.
Enjoyable first job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS14 January 2017
During my seasonal position as a cashier at Best Buy I learned many key customer service strategies. It was my first job and I didn't know what was needed to ensure a customer was happy leaving a company or business. Best Buy helped show me ways and techniques to ensure my customer was happy with our services. After my few weeks of training I was able to serve my customer with ease, answer any questions they may have and ensure they left with a positive experience.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Seasonal
Great workplace, very good Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 February 2017
Workplace was amazing, the management team is very professional and are always there to help you out. Co-Workers are great too, to be honest not really anything negative to say about the company or the store, they genuinely try to help out customers and their warranties are very useful when it comes to protecting your products.
Pros
Great Management, Great Work Atmosphere
I just didn't enjoy it
Home Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 March 2017
Personally, the job wasn't for me. It was boring work, making me clean everything literally ten times per shift if it wasn't busy. I didn't have ideal hours and they were not flexible with them at all. I also was aware after 3 months of working there, they were over staffed and to be honest, I never felt like my job was secure.

One day I wanted to go see my grand father and they refused to give me the time off. The sad par was that would have been the last time I saw him. He died a week later and I am a high school student so it's not like I could leave.

The worst part about the whole experience is I worked there for 8 months an they never TRAINED me. They even trained those who were hired after me so when the economy crashed I was the most logical lay-off.

I believe this is the second worst job I ever had,
Productive workplace with amazing cafeteria
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 January 2017
Productive days of working.

Learned how to use a scanner
Learned how to drive a walkie machine
Learned how to palletize
Learned how to ship products

Management was very professional when handling warehouse issues.

Co-workers were amazing,

Hardest part of the job was lifting awkward-handling heavy items.

Best part of the job was the co-workers and the break room (cafeteria)
Pros
Employee appreciation day. enjoyable co-workers.
Cons
Long hours for some who choose. Holidays become increasingly difficult to keep up with
Best Buy Canada warehouse.
reach truck and MHE operator clamps , forks (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 January 2017
Love working at Bestbuy , been there as a permanent part-time associate since 2008 . no issues at all. I have recommended many others to work for best buy as well and they love it too. they give complimentary lunches and the places is clean and vary muti cultural. and the training of equipment and other departments is open to anyone willing to learn . Fantastic company . the pay is Amazing .
productive, and great environment to work in
Connected Solutions Specialist (Employee Position) (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON19 February 2017
I've learned great customer service skills and sales skills, improving my skills progressively as I work there. A typical day will be restocking shelfs with units, putting some devices on demo displays, consulting customers with products and recommending services that will benefit them. As well as cleaning the tills and display areas when the store is closing. The management is fantastic, as they listen to my recommendations and concerns I might have. The hardest part of the job is when there isn't much customer traffic through the store and meeting the sales goals we want to reach. The most enjoyable part of working at Best Buy is everything, the staff is amazing, there is great customer experience and much to learn on and off the job.
Fun and friendly work environment
Mobile Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON30 January 2017
Working at Best Buy has helped me gain sale experience, Managers provided us with proper training in order to enhance job performance.
At Best Buy we had this small group called evoice, where a small group of the workers would plan work events to bring all the staff closer.
Pros
Good learning opportunities, great leadership and work events
Cons
Not enough hours
productiveve place
Computer Technician (geek squad agent) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 January 2017
Amazing place to work and have fun at the same time with committed work culture, a relaxed atmosphere. provide a good sense of security,training and a mix of culture and diversity. ability to thrive and learn capable skills also the flexibility of working in any department you qualified for,
Pros
relaxed working enviroment
Cons
not a very diplomatic management team
Fun people to work with and middle management that cares about its staff
REPACK/SHIPPING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC Canada3 January 2017
Good starter place to learn about warehouse work. Some opportunities to move up but is very competitive. With some stores closing down in recent years, a lot of layoffs have happened in the DC and the general morale has gone down because of this job insecurity.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Difficult to gain permanent employment
Cruel and Disorganized nightmare
Operations (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 December 2016
Not a good place to work if you are a new employee coming in as a part of a leadership team. The senior employees do not take well to a newbie despite the new addition being a friendly and hard worker. Place is full of untrue rumors and the staff own the management. Sometimes a lot of jealousy and childish rumors if staff feel they were wronged. Management plays you for a fool and uses you until you have completed a job for them and then ditches you, for their benefit.
Pros
Staff discounts.
Cons
False rumors and a place for students to work while in school. Not for adults.
Great job
Product Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 December 2016
As soon as I got in I went straight to the warehouse to get up to speed with what needed to be done and started work right away. I learned how to receive and ship trucks. The management at the highest level was really good, but for the lower management such as the supervisors it seemed lackluster. Not very good coordination with team. Co-workers were great people had a lot of fun working with them. The hardest part of the job was during truck shipment days, very busy and hectic in the warehouse, needed to work fast. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with co-workers.
Pros
Price reduction on alot of in-store purchases.
Cons
Very early starting shifts for my position (4am)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy. Our community is ready to answer.

83%