Best Buy Employee Reviews in Canada

good start for learning marketing
Manager or senior of connected solution section (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJanuary 26, 2016
Bestbuy is a really good place and i really enjoy working there. Its very fun and very productive. a place that you always learn something new from it. full of challenges which i really like. full of pressure but and stress which might make you mad but at least its not boring most of the times. I've learned so much in bestbuy especially in electronics section. Management part was one of the challenges that I had. at start i made some mistakes but i learned from it and and from now on i know how to face to problems and i think out of 10 i give my self 8.5. Still so many things to learn but I'm doing good.
The hardest part of this job to keep up sale and services in the dead and busy time of the store. the thing is when the store is dead we have good numbers on services but not in sales and in busy time is vice verse. Our job is too balance the numbers.
Pros
employ discounts
Cons
salary
Decent place to work
MCSA (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 7, 2016
Probably my favorite place to work, due to me actively enjoying the tech industry and working in it. The management was great at first, but during the holiday season it obviously got a little worse, but you can't really complain about that. Overall great company, and if given the chance I'd love to work there again, as I was on a Seasonal Contract.
Pros
Food provided for holidays, benefits, great staff, excellent discounts
Cons
Holiday Season
Flexible and Honest Work Environment
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 17, 2016
I learned more interpersonal and communication skills being a part of the Best Buy community. I enjoyed the benefits and the work/life balance.
Pros
Discounts
Great co-workers , not the best management
Service a la clientele (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 19, 2016
Its great working there , my co-workers are the best , the salary is 11$ without commission and they still pressure you to sell warranties , if you don't sell a lot , they remove hours from your shift which is horrible. If it wasn't for the people i work with i would have quitted a long time ago.
Pros
Best co-workers, fun enviroment
Cons
Hours, pay
Product process specialist( media position )
product process specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill high techSeptember 9, 2015
Really o.k when your in co-op than possible chance ,I recently became a part time , but I`m still doing the same positions in co-op ( movies , down stocking , putting prices tags and pricing movies). Really I feel that the manager is really making an excuse for to fire me! but really I manage to do my best coping this part time and looking for new job part time job in future. Surly that the manager would be happy but really good discounts, dental benefits , like insurance. Even as student (full time and taking part time continue education in post secondary school). But maybe there might be possible that I might become a full part time product process position, or I might just find another before the manager take me out of the job.
Pros
really comfortable environment, good discounts, general manager is great and great supervisor
Cons
low days, lack of hours or no days at all and no promotions
Best buy
Mobile Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJanuary 9, 2016
Good place to work.
Great on the job perks and benefits.
Would recommend this job to a friend.
fun and sales driven work environment.
Salesmen Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 31, 2015
A typical day starts within Best buy includes jumping right into work which detail in communicating with customers to find the right and best product for that consumer. I learned many ways to deal with customers and my product knowledge increased to a point way selling $2000 Mac-book's came at ease with increased up selling of different products such as Microsoft word or even protection plans. Co-workers would always work together to get the best experience for the customer because we are on a no commission bases. The hardest part was honestly was not being able to close a sale in the beginning but as my experience grew the easier it got to finalize the sale.
Pros
very easy going people, flexible hours and great benefits
Cons
only one break per shift, I prefer a 15 min twice rather then 1 half hour
Warehouse Workplace
Product Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at work depending on the day is pretty busy, always work to be done, on Wednesdays and Thursdays those are our truck days so there is lots of work to be done.

I learned to always keep an open mind because no work day is repeated there is always something different to do everyday

Management is good at what they do, i have nothing bad to say

the hardest part about my job is trying to get everyone on the same page and do the same amount of work, there is always at least 1 or 2 people in every department who do not want to do the work required and that's frustrating for me

i enjoy almost every aspect of my job, i love doing plan-o-grams and putting up new demos, i like keeping the warehouse as clean as possible.
Pros
we get a 30 minutes lunch
Cons
only 71/2 hour shifts instead of the full 8 hours
Flexible job with a great supportive team
Product Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCMarch 8, 2016
I've loved working at the Best Buy Chilliwack location. The management is sincerely interested in their employees and their long term goals and is flexible with positions, and hours.

The staff there is quite young (between late teens and mid twenties) but aside from a little gossip, the team works well together and are eager to spend time outside of work.

The most frustrating things mostly revolve around corporate communications or outdated fixtures and tools but from my experience the head office staff are very involved and aware of concerns and want to help. It just generally takes a while.

This store is ranked one of the highest in the company not only for sales and customer experience but also for staff satisfaction.
Pros
supportive management, flexible hours, fun staff
Cons
gossip
Grew Unenjoyable
Connected Solutions Senior/Apple Master (Former Employee) –  Warden and EglingtonSeptember 12, 2015
Started as a Part-Time associate. Worked quite hard to achieve high revenue and customer service. Lead Team of associates. Lead in Sales. Refused to consider raise or promotion without proper reasoning. Immature management staff
Bestbuy Warehoure
Bestbuy Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCFebruary 20, 2016
-A typical day of work consisted of lifting objects which vary in weight, organizing, and putting them away to their designated area.

-What I learned from the job is that safety is the most important thing along with productivity.

-Management was very understanding and straight forward regarding to having a flexible schedule and with what they expected from you as an employee. Co-workers were also very helpful and enjoyable to be around.

-Hardest part of the job would be doing tasks efficiently as there are many products to be separated so it can be difficult to do under a certain amount of time. Meanwhile the most enjoyable part of the job would be working with other people because having someone to work with made it feel like you weren't at work.
Pros
Great cafeteria, accessible parking, Great working atmosphere
Cons
Early shifts
Corrupt!
PPA (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 16, 2016
This company is so corrupt it's not even funny! I would assume the other location is the same way, but when I started working at Best Buy, it was fast, easy, and great communication. I started on cash, then I got moved to another location for PPA team, turns out this place was run by foreigners and once I started working at this location, they laid me off for no reason!

The management is so evil, when I got moved to that location, there were very few Canadian citizen workers, most of the employees I talked to were specifically from India area, none of them spoke English or any at all.

In addition to the lay off, a supervisor told me he got laid off shortly after I did. I love this company, I hate the people who work there!
Pros
Tech lovers will enjoy working here as much as I did
Cons
Beware who's managing your location...
Good morale and good leadership, high pressure
Full Time Connected Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 5, 2015
Great management and good workplace morale. The only downside is the corporate culture sometimes feels patronizing, however if you are willing to 'drink the kool-aid' so to speak, you will do very well and go far. Fair enough opportunities for advancement if you show initiative and engagement. Benefits offered at a full-time level, however pay is not super-competitive. Lot's of pressure on selling the service and geek-squad which can sometimes makes you feel like you are putting too much pressure on the customer, but if you follow the sales guidelines and know your product knowledge you will be very successful. If you do well with sales, and make the company money, they will do what they can to keep you on .
Pros
morale, fun workplace environment, good leadership
Cons
patronizing corporate culture, high pressure
Great Work Environment
Connected Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 11, 2016
Best buy is a great place to work, mainly because of the environment you are working in. The people who work their are great and easy to get along with and the sales floor offers the ability to increase your customer service as well as communication skills as there are constant opportunities to talk with the general public as well as your cooworkers. Management is great as well, they are friendly, and motivational offering up their knowledge and experience on a daily basis to help their staff succeed in monthly goals as well as other goals the individual may have.
A very playful and helping environment
Cashier in Operations (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 3, 2016
A typical day at worked involved attending to customers at the cash, showing customers that you are available, cleaning the workspace, and organizing cases by putting them in corresponding bins or putting empty ones in the back storage room. By doing this I learned a lot about technology and how to socialize with others. The management was very nice and playful, they would answer any questions and joked around light-heatedly. Co-workers are also very playful and are always there to give a helping hand.
The hardest part of the job is if you do not know much about the products, it can be difficult to answer a customer's question. Most enjoyable is being able to work in such a great environment and being able to meet so many new people.
Very good company to work for. Friendly environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMarch 4, 2016
Very good company to work for. Friendly environment. Felt very welcome and organized. Management was very good to us and make us want to work harder
Structure is needed to Maintain a fair workforce
Customer Service/Entertainment (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONFebruary 4, 2016
I worked for Best Buy when it was Future Shop. I was there for 8 years. Upon my time there i was moved twice into different positions thus learning how to run most of the store. However, the way the staff was projected to strive for numbers instead of quality was concerning for me. It seemed that money was more important than the customers experience. I was overlooked on several occasions to move into sales as i was told that i'm "Operations material, not sales." I would have appreciated the chance yet it seem that you had to be friends with the manager for that to happen. Hardest part of my job was seeing how things were done with such difficulty when they really didn't need to be. I would find simplistic ways of completing the same task yet it was frowned upon. The only joy I had there was the people....some of them. Not the clicks.
Pros
Taking pride in my job
Cons
Everything else
Fun and engaging with current technologies
Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLNovember 24, 2015
Typical day at work is talking to customers and narrow down the solution that best fits their lifestyle.

Learned how to demonstrate features of products, listen to a customer's needs and recomment the best solution for the customer.

Management is very helpful in teaching staff communication skills and tools required to deliver the best customer service.

The hardest part of the job is working around during the christmas season since the traffic flow is much higher.

The enjoyable part is when it's a fast paced environment, it pushes you to apply everything you learned to be able to help as many customers with top notch service
Pros
Keeping up with current technologies
Cons
Sporadic hours
Sales (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJune 22, 2016
Best buy is a great environment to work in, you learn a lot and management is always willing to help coach you into becoming better and also excelling in your job.

Best part of the job is being able to communicate with customers and gain a more personal connection with your client.

The staff is also always friendly, working with each other to help each other.
Pros
great work environment, management is great
Cons
shift work varies
Monotonous environment
Connected Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 14, 2016
Everyone is seated doing the qork required of them. Friendly co-workers and efficient environment. Management was great and friendly; listened to employees. Difficulties arose when a lot of samples were delivered and they had to be examined in a timely manner.