Best Buy Employee Reviews

Great for part time students, awesome benefits
Loss Prevention Specialist/Product Process Senior (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 August 2016
A typical day at work involved a an equal amount of physical labor and customer service. Team work was essential and developing good interpersonal skills was key to success both with customers and fellow employees. Met a lot of interesting people in different phases of their lives and learned much from them. Management was the key difference between a store that ran well and one that struggled. Hardest part of the job was the time demands especially during the holidays. Best part of the job was the benefits that even part timers are eligible for. Better than a lot of places at a similar pay level.
Can be fun sometimes horrible
Geeksquad Computer Information Agent (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 December 2016
Depends on the management in the store. I have had great and terrible management. Customers can feel way too entitled and sometimes customers are treated better than the employees.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Little no or advancement, pay raises very small, no job security.
Fun place to work
Product Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC9 September 2016
Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and learning new things. Hardest part of the job was the beginning because the training was not as clear as I expected it to be. Management really cares about your growth with the company and helps you.
Pros
Good benefits such as discounts on certain items, and having fun with coworkers outside of work
Cons
Sometimes we have short staff and its hard surviving through busy hours
Fun place to work, great management
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, on16 January 2017
Best Buy provided me work when I was just out of school. I advanced quickly and with a hard work ethic received praise and strong support from management. Happy with my time there.
Pros
Management support
Cons
Short lunches
Fun working environment
MCSA/ Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC5 January 2017
Overall good experience working there with great benefits and great staff. However, can be unorganized at times and stressful.
Productive workplace with amazing cafeteria
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 January 2017
Productive days of working.

Learned how to use a scanner
Learned how to drive a walkie machine
Learned how to palletize
Learned how to ship products

Management was very professional when handling warehouse issues.

Co-workers were amazing,

Hardest part of the job was lifting awkward-handling heavy items.

Best part of the job was the co-workers and the break room (cafeteria)
Pros
Employee appreciation day. enjoyable co-workers.
Cons
Long hours for some who choose. Holidays become increasingly difficult to keep up with
Fast paced while still maintaining a friendly environmment
Customer Experience Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 October 2016
Working at Best Buy is always a fun and enjoyable experience. The employees are very friendly and welcoming, and are always willing to help when needed.

A typical day at work entails walking in and just starting your work day. There is no unnecessary tasks that need to be done prior to your shift, and everyone else who is working is always there to warmly greet you.

In my six months working, my co-workers make me feel as if I have been working there over a year and have always been there for me when I need their help. It is very easy to be myself while working and maintaining proper work ethics.
Pros
relaxing environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
long hours, can be exhausting
good start for learning marketing
Manager or senior of connected solution section (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK26 January 2016
Bestbuy is a really good place and i really enjoy working there. Its very fun and very productive. a place that you always learn something new from it. full of challenges which i really like. full of pressure but and stress which might make you mad but at least its not boring most of the times. I've learned so much in bestbuy especially in electronics section. Management part was one of the challenges that I had. at start i made some mistakes but i learned from it and and from now on i know how to face to problems and i think out of 10 i give my self 8.5. Still so many things to learn but I'm doing good.
The hardest part of this job to keep up sale and services in the dead and busy time of the store. the thing is when the store is dead we have good numbers on services but not in sales and in busy time is vice verse. Our job is too balance the numbers.
Pros
employ discounts
Cons
salary
Cruel and Disorganized nightmare
Operations (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 December 2016
Not a good place to work if you are a new employee coming in as a part of a leadership team. The senior employees do not take well to a newbie despite the new addition being a friendly and hard worker. Place is full of untrue rumors and the staff own the management. Sometimes a lot of jealousy and childish rumors if staff feel they were wronged. Management plays you for a fool and uses you until you have completed a job for them and then ditches you, for their benefit.
Pros
Staff discounts.
Cons
False rumors and a place for students to work while in school. Not for adults.
productiveve place
Computer Technician (geek squad agent) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 January 2017
Amazing place to work and have fun at the same time with committed work culture, a relaxed atmosphere. provide a good sense of security,training and a mix of culture and diversity. ability to thrive and learn capable skills also the flexibility of working in any department you qualified for,
Pros
relaxed working enviroment
Cons
not a very diplomatic management team
Fun coworkers, mediocre job
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 November 2016
The atmosphere with the coworkers is very fun, there are constant outings put on by the management so there are plenty of opportunities to get together and make coworkers friends. My issue is the rapid turnover of employees, the lack of competent electronics with which to perform your job, and the lack of help from managers when dealing with difficult customers.
If you work in sales you can count on learning a ton about the products.
Pros
Good team, fun atmosphere
Cons
management isn't always helpful, frequent rude customers
One of us
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2016
This job was fun, but the culture creeped me out. I was a guy searching for shoplifters, thefts and discrepancies in the store. Not a great way to make friends. It's a typically loss prevention job. Notes, long periods of boring, and few times you feel like your actually stopping crime. Not for everyone, but an entry level job for those who like to keep people honest.

So.. culture made me think of those drink the punch cults. Not for me.
Pros
Good deals on electronics, work in stable job, full time is full time
Cons
No real friends (loss provention problem), No notebooks provided, low wages
Product Process = 4 hours per week
Product Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 January 2017
I love the people at Best Buy, but for whatever reason, from Christmas 2016 on, the part-timers in Product Process only get 4 hours per week. 8 hours if you are lucky. Best Buy, how the heck am I supposed to pay my mortgage on that ??? I didn't even get any hours on Boxing Day !! How mind-boggling is that ??? On Boxing Day it's supposed to be "all hands on deck" with people working up to 12 hours if they want it. But I never got the chance to even participate ! If you want to work at Best Buy, work as a Cashier or at Ops, they're the ones who get the hours. Stay away from Product Process! In 2015 I was able to work 30 hours per week which kept me up to date on my mortgage, but not anymore! Forget you Best Buy Canada, I am gone and I am never going back !!!
Pros
Nice co-workers, getting good discounts on cables and batteries
Cons
4 hours per week.
Excellent training and opportunity for advancement
Sales Associate (Home Solutions) (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC23 August 2016
Best Buy is a great place to work, with fantastic training programs and lots of opportunity for advancement.

The sales position is made much less stressful with a no commission strategy, and employees are given a range of techniques to close sales in a more constructive way for the customer. Associates are encouraged to sell the right products rather than the most expensive ones, allowing you to build better trust and a better long term relationship with the customer. Between e-learnings and seminars, associates are given many tools to properly assess the customer's needs, and get them the best solution.

The company encourages promotions and hiring from within for their Geek Squad and corporate positions. I personally want to get into the Geek Squad, and I've been put on the track to get there. I'm very happy with this company, and can see a long career with them.
Pros
Good break room, friendly co-workers, team building exercises
Cons
Difficult to get hours when first starting
Alright place to work but management kills it
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 October 2016
Starbucks was a decent place to pick up some extra income while I was in school but the management brought down the quality of the workplace culture. Hours were very hard to get and expectations were extremely high. Pay was mediocre.
Decent place to work
MCSA (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC7 February 2016
Probably my favorite place to work, due to me actively enjoying the tech industry and working in it. The management was great at first, but during the holiday season it obviously got a little worse, but you can't really complain about that. Overall great company, and if given the chance I'd love to work there again, as I was on a Seasonal Contract.
Pros
Food provided for holidays, benefits, great staff, excellent discounts
Cons
Holiday Season
Great team to work with and it was a great environment at my store!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2016
I was happy with my time at Best Buy. Our workdays as managers usually consisted of answering emails, making sure the computers and systems to sell phones were up and running, helping customers find their perfect mobile solution, and making sure the staff is performing their job duties in addition to coaching them to ensure they're constantly improving. I would say the hardest and most fulfilling part of the job, at my location at least, was dealing with the clientele. It was a great feeling once someone was able to get a phone, but getting them approved was a challenge.
Pros
Being in control of your store, being able to build a great team
Cons
The clientele at the mall I was at was not the most desirable
Productive and fun work environment
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 November 2016
Fantastic place to be and build a career.. Lots of great accessories and electronics to check. fantastic work environment lots of positive energy and great employeees
Pros
free lunches
Cons
competitive and challenging work
Productive and fun workplace
Product Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON7 June 2016
The job is a really good place especially the management, however I have been trying to move to the sales floor for about a month now. I'm not planning on staying much longer as I want to move up and find a better job in my career field.
Pros
Not a great workplace, poor management.
Senior Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Senior Repair Technician19 December 2016
GM of the Vernon location is a certified bully. I was on the spot given the option to quit or be fired, after 3 consecutive years of the best technical service that store ever gave. I have hundreds of clients that can attest to this, however I feel this was some sort of personal decision, one that should always stay out of business.