Best Buy Employee Reviews

Where else are you gonna go?
Connected Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL24 January 2017
Title says it all. You are expendable and management does not care about you. The "values" are simply lip service. If you go to management with a legitimate issue, they twist your words and somehow the issue ends up being framed as only your own. Perfect example of gas lighting. Management knows that you won't get paid as well for an entry level job anywhere else. That's how they trap you. No set schedule so youre eassentially a part-timer who works 37.5 hours per week. Your opinion is not valued and those who speak up end up being shot down or reprimanded. Absolutely no support from management and advancement is extremely difficult unless you "get in" with a manager and live the CULTure. The only way you can survive for life is to value the business more than the employees.

Co-workers were fantastic. It is unfortunate to see so many good people stuck in such a place because it is their only option.
Pros
Great co-workers, discount
Cons
Management, schedule, pressure to sell with no incentive
Productive workplace with amazing cafeteria
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 January 2017
Productive days of working.

Learned how to use a scanner
Learned how to drive a walkie machine
Learned how to palletize
Learned how to ship products

Management was very professional when handling warehouse issues.

Co-workers were amazing,

Hardest part of the job was lifting awkward-handling heavy items.

Best part of the job was the co-workers and the break room (cafeteria)
Pros
Employee appreciation day. enjoyable co-workers.
Cons
Long hours for some who choose. Holidays become increasingly difficult to keep up with
Can be fun sometimes horrible
Geeksquad Computer Information Agent (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 December 2016
Depends on the management in the store. I have had great and terrible management. Customers can feel way too entitled and sometimes customers are treated better than the employees.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Little no or advancement, pay raises very small, no job security.
Great Environment and Culture
Geek Squad Agent (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 January 2017
A good company that takes the effort in training their employees to ensure their customers get the best experience possible.

As an employee, you learn to become self-sufficient and take responsibility for your work. If you are looking to turn this into a career, then the store management do take the time to help you climb the corporate ladder.

Store meetings are a great resource and keep everyone in touch with how the company is doing even making seasonal and part time hires feel welcome.
Fun place to work, great management
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, on16 January 2017
Best Buy provided me work when I was just out of school. I advanced quickly and with a hard work ethic received praise and strong support from management. Happy with my time there.
Pros
Management support
Cons
Short lunches
fun workplace, inadequate management team
Product Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB4 November 2016
Working in this department, you often feel undervalued, more is expected of you than of other departments, and yet less is given back.
The environment can get somewhat childish, like being in high school, though it can be a lot of fun with great co-workers.
With a management team that causes more problems than it solves.
The Christmas rush can get overwhelming, with constant cutbacks on labor budgets.
Pros
good health benefits and staff discounts
Cons
poor management team
productiveve place
Computer Technician (geek squad agent) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 January 2017
Amazing place to work and have fun at the same time with committed work culture, a relaxed atmosphere. provide a good sense of security,training and a mix of culture and diversity. ability to thrive and learn capable skills also the flexibility of working in any department you qualified for,
Pros
relaxed working enviroment
Cons
not a very diplomatic management team
Great for part time students, awesome benefits
Loss Prevention Specialist/Product Process Senior (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 August 2016
A typical day at work involved a an equal amount of physical labor and customer service. Team work was essential and developing good interpersonal skills was key to success both with customers and fellow employees. Met a lot of interesting people in different phases of their lives and learned much from them. Management was the key difference between a store that ran well and one that struggled. Hardest part of the job was the time demands especially during the holidays. Best part of the job was the benefits that even part timers are eligible for. Better than a lot of places at a similar pay level.
Good way to learn about sales skill for beginners but not enought to grow
Connected Solution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 November 2016
Recommended for short term goal and work experienc BUT not recommend for long term goals. Communicate of management is bad to employees and management can sometimes give you a verbal abuse on the head sets and written.
Pros
Good employee discount and health benefits
Cons
Poor communication from leaders and management
fun and productive work place
Multi channel sales associate and customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 January 2017
great company to work for. I learned a lot of skills that are really useful to me. i worked with great staff and actually enjoyed going to work because the people there were amazing. Great benefits and opportunity for advancement.
Fun workplace, management.....needs work
Multi-Channel Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON20 February 2017
Depending on your location, the management can be great, a good team-leader, always listening to you and helping you out. Or they can be controlling, or even worse, extremely passive about everything.

I found that the people I worked with, not including management, were the life of the work environment. They support each other whenever they can and made BestBuy a place I wanted to go into everyday and work at.

If you like technology, you'll always be learning something new here and be surrounded by like-minded people. Even if you think you don't know enough.

Again, this could change depending on which 'box' you're applying to.
productive, and great environment to work in
Connected Solutions Specialist (Employee Position) (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON19 February 2017
I've learned great customer service skills and sales skills, improving my skills progressively as I work there. A typical day will be restocking shelfs with units, putting some devices on demo displays, consulting customers with products and recommending services that will benefit them. As well as cleaning the tills and display areas when the store is closing. The management is fantastic, as they listen to my recommendations and concerns I might have. The hardest part of the job is when there isn't much customer traffic through the store and meeting the sales goals we want to reach. The most enjoyable part of working at Best Buy is everything, the staff is amazing, there is great customer experience and much to learn on and off the job.
Cool people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 December 2016
I met lots of cool people there.
It is a younger work force, and I started out with an older crew, so it was a big change. Sometimes it does feel like you are babysitting and they can make pretty big mistakes that are hard to fix.
Management was my biggest issue, they did not make great decisions for the long term of the buisness, and we're not good leaders. They would push blame to their employees, as well as not helping with creating solutions, just pushing it off to others.
I did meet some cool people though and I did enjoy what I did day to day as a home theatre installer.
Pros
Fast paced sales floor
Cons
Long holiday season, management
Great place to work with excellent managers and an excellent atmosphere.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 May 2016
I worked for Best Buy in Guelph from July 2015 to the end of April 2016. I had an overall very positive experience with the company. I learned how to develop my sales skills and learned to work in a competitive based retail environment. I had excellent people to work with and I have no complaints about my co-workers. My managers were excellent as well and always cared about employees and made sure they had a voice.

The one thing that made me leave the company was the wage based pay and the limited opportunities for advancement that I saw. I am a very competitive person and a non-commission environment did not make sense to me as a salesman. I also saw very little room to move up as the same management had been there for a long time.

Overall, great place to work and I had no complaints about the job itself or the people.
Pros
Great people, flexible hours, positive atmosphere
Cons
No commission, hard to advance, low wages
A workplace that illustrates having fun while being the best.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON22 January 2017
Everyday at Bestbuy is different, but its same in the fact that everyday is an exciting and fun day. I learned alot through bestbuy. I learned how to manage a team. How to run a department smoothly. How to hit targets in a fun and productive way so that all employees are really engaged to work. The workplace culture is always friendly and fun. Everyone is always smiling at work and you can go to anyone when you need help! The mornings are started with a game that will get everyone perked up for the exciting day ahead. I enjoyed coming to work and just giving exceptional customer service, allowing the our clients to always come back looking for me!
Fun place to work
Product Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC9 September 2016
Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and learning new things. Hardest part of the job was the beginning because the training was not as clear as I expected it to be. Management really cares about your growth with the company and helps you.
Pros
Good benefits such as discounts on certain items, and having fun with coworkers outside of work
Cons
Sometimes we have short staff and its hard surviving through busy hours
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 February 2017
I really enjoyed working for Best Buy. Management was very good at keeping everyone on the ball to what is happen. Management worked hard which makes me work harder. Excellent training.
Pros
product seminars
Cons
hours - shifts
Great job
Product Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 December 2016
As soon as I got in I went straight to the warehouse to get up to speed with what needed to be done and started work right away. I learned how to receive and ship trucks. The management at the highest level was really good, but for the lower management such as the supervisors it seemed lackluster. Not very good coordination with team. Co-workers were great people had a lot of fun working with them. The hardest part of the job was during truck shipment days, very busy and hectic in the warehouse, needed to work fast. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with co-workers.
Pros
Price reduction on alot of in-store purchases.
Cons
Very early starting shifts for my position (4am)
Best Buy Canada: Overall Review
Customer Service Rep/Hiring Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2016
Best Buy Canada cares about its employees and makes it painfully aware that the interests of its employees are the primary concern for the company. Through benefits and opportunities for advancement within the company, Best Buy offers a constructive atmosphere to generate a prosperous career. The work atmosphere itself is great, especially with like-minded individuals as coworkers and colleagues. The only downside to the company that I find lately is that the work environment itself is not associated with my career interests, and that I must expand outside the company to seek the type of experience that will assist me later in my professional career.
Pros
Great work atmosphere, helpful coworkers, enjoyable work experience
Cons
Not particularly associated with my academic degree or career interests
fun place to work
Connected Solution Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL8 February 2017
Good place to work at. Management is really good and helpful. Interview process was a bit lengthy but overall quality place to work at.
Pros
easy work, sales floor is fun to work at, quality benefits
Cons
pay could be better