Best Buy

Best Buy Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Please beware!
Warehouse (Current Employee), Woodridge, ILSeptember 18, 2015
I have worked for the Best Buy Warehouse in Woodridge, IL for 10 years.
The first 5 years was wonderful.

Best Buy was great at showing their employees appreciation:
We would receive raises twice a year.
They would throw Holiday parties, with food and raffled gifts(TV’s/gift cards..)
Management would go out on the warehouse floor, greet and interact with the staff.
It was really a great place to be proud to work for.

Once, the Warehouse went under new management everything changed.
The company stopped raises completely over 3 years ago..

I was told that we would be getting a raise this year.
The family and I were pretty excited about it until we received my check.
The company that I have put my blood, sweat and time into, thought I was only worth 5 cents…

This company does not promote employees internally.
For years, Best Buy would promise employees promotions but then hire externally. (Leads, Supervisors and Managers)
I have been promised personally about 7 times over the 10 years..

Management treats their employees like they are replaceable objects.
You approach them with an issue or concern, it is brushed under the rug.

Recently, HR had a meeting with all the staff and congratulated the new employees on their $0.75 raise.
A few employees who have been at Best Buy as long as I have, approached HR about their $0.05 raise.
The HR Rep. just shrugged his shoulders and walked away..

Another example..
I have a “go getter” personality and I love helping people.
So, when my Manager asked if I could go to Best Buy’s other warehouse and help out, – more... I was delighted.
The Supervisor at that location appreciated the help and noticed my potential and knowledge of company.
A few days later, I was talking with that Supervisor and my Manager about a few things.
The Supervisor asked me if front of my Manager, if I would be interested in being his lead at the new warehouse.
Of course, I was like YES PLEASE!
Well, my Manager shot that down quick..
He said that ”I was his best picker and he couldn’t afford to lose me on the floor.”
I was speechless, what company would hold their own employees back from success?

Of course, there is much much more I could talk about..
I just pray that, those of you interested in this company, please take my review into consideration. – less
Fun atmosphere, eccentric environment
Representative/Samsung Advisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, OnSeptember 25, 2015
Pros: Credibility for hard work
Cons: Scheduling
Typical day at work can be either balanced between busy and very busy you are always on your feet and ready at all times for oncoming situations.

Being at best buy has not only taught me to be organized, independent and a team player, it is strongly revolved around clientele support and satisfaction. working in this environment has made me strongly capable of dealing with others problems and simultaneously managing mine to accommodate for others needs. Being a leader and giving constructive criticism to help improve myself and peers has given great results in the field as being apart of the best buy corporation.

Management is always there if there is issues and concerns. asking questions and opportunities has always been open for qualifications.
scheduling can be tedious at times although there is always ways to comprehend the dilemma.

Peers and coworkers are always active and engaged in being positive towards each other wether the altercation. "Do not let differences come between the professional work space". I choose to deal with those situation either one on one or with a higher position amidst.

The most difficult part of the job can be to stay within a good element at all times despite the fact of busy traffic, angry clients or frustration outside of work, although based off what i have learned it hasn't been a problem for me as an individual to formulate techniques around those obstacles.

Work can always be fun depending on what you make of the situation
to sum up what i enjoy about my job is to build rapport and seeing a smile on someones face knowing – more... they will remember me as individual who laid a positive track on their journey through life, that to me is satisfactory at its finest. – less
It starts off nice for the first year.....then it all goes down
Supervior sales associate (Former Employee), Ajax, ONJune 26, 2012
Pros: benefits, employee events
Cons: management change every year, leadership, trust
So I'll make this short and simple, I worked there for 8 years with about 3 promotions (nothing big). Day of work Cleaning, stocking shelves, and selling. One thing is that they do teach you a lot on how a business operates, and how to sell certain ways. But would you care if your just a PT employee who's in school??

Management was good and bad because I went through about 8-9, from the best and the worst and just straight awful. Co-workers I would say its the same everywhere. You got the good ones that actually work, and you have the lazy ones.

You WILL have to work every Boxing Day a total of 12hrs of just standing there pointing, and getting yelled at. Store policy doesn't really mean anything when the Management is too afraid to say no to a customer and just gives in. Store Meetings are at 8am in the morning once a month and if the Management is cheap you wont get fed. You have to do Online quizzes that you have done numerous times and are just pointless. Christmas season if you have a family vacation planned.......you better just quit, because you'll proabably won't get it off. Promotions are based on who kisses bums more.

I've made some friends in the company, and i'll admit that the company did give me the understanding of how a "Big box" company operates. Benefits are pretty good even, available for PT employees such as Dental, RRSP, Stocks etc.
Having Fun While Being the Best
MOBILE MANAGER (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: nice employee discuounts
Cons: na
• Managing a 40 Million Dollar Big Box Store in down town Toronto / Mississauga with 150 + employees
• Achieving a goal of 42.5 Million sales for FY14, and 40 Million for FY 13, One of the highest in Canada.
• Directed and coordinated all aspects of daily store operations with focus on sales, marketing, merchandising, safety, regulatory compliance and leadership
• Administered corporate budget activities to fund operations, maximize investments, and increase efficiency
• Store P & L Management-( Minimizing write off/bad debt)
• Evaluated financial statements, sales reports, and other performance data to measure goal achievement as well as to determine areas needing cost reduction and area of improvement
• Worked closely with the district/regional/store teams on implementation of new programs/initiatives and ensure standard operating procedures ( SOPs) are executed.
• Adhered strict compliance with corporate policies, procedures, and regulations toward fulfillment of corporate goals and objectives
• Executed company sales and marketing strategy and provided customer insights to future strategy.
• Provide direction, manage team, performance management and development of store staff to ensure SOP execution and achievement of store financial and people development goals.
• Conducts regular store meetings, hire staff, train staff and schedule labor.
• Assist in customer retention goals by mentoring and developing BBY Mobile employee
• Co-ordinates relationships with in the store to create and maintain a team based co-operative work environment.
• Worked with District store Manager – more... to achieve specific goals
• Teach out Leadership Training programs include / bold, boost, Team meeting, badge,
• Analyzed store's performance indicators against goals and developed plans to improve underachieving areas – less
Best Buy is a great place to work. Its fun, entertaining and most of all flexible to all types of employees.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Queensborough, New Westminster, BC, CanadaFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: play volleyball in the mornings, making friends with co-workers and even customers.
Cons: sometimes you meet grumpy customers, but this something that happens in every retail environment.
A shift at Best Buy as a customer service associate is quite entertaining. Mostly i would stand behind the counter and customers would approach me for making returns or just general inquiries about products. The sales staff at Best Buy did an excellent job in assisting customer usually before they would even get to me. This would free me up to do more admin tasks such as filing paperwork processing bank deposits and making sure the counters looked clean, organized and presentable. Management did a great job at making sure we had the supplies and tools we needed to perform our tasks. They usually were able to fill up orders immediately for supplies the store needed. Management also did a fantastic job at keeping all the employees up to date on any events or situations that would arise. The hardest part about working at Best Buy was getting to work from my house. Honestly there is hard about working at Best Buy because there was nothing they did everything to make working there easy on top of being very flexible with there hours and accommodating full-time students. This coupled with the most enjoying part of my job which was talking to customers and solving there problems, filling there needs was one of the most satisfying things about working at Best Buy.
Best Buy
Digital Imaging Specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: great customer interactions, amazing staff discount.
Cons: low pay, bad management, annoying leaders, long hours, mandatory weekends, over-enthusiastic co-workers
Started off with a very positive energy when hired for the Best buy camera position. Later, I find that many people who were hired about 7-8 months later were being paid much higher. There is no set starting wage, im sure the GM just grabs numbers from a hat. There is also a major flaw with the management. Supervisors of each department would slack and go on frequent breaks, leaving the selling up to regular part-timers. Even after multiple complaints, nothing is done to fix the situation. Working at best buy, you get to see their true motives, we are not on commission, but are still hounded from supervisors to sell the service plans with sense of urgency. After being bossed around constantly all day, and being scolded for not having better "numbers", then having to smile through it all, was definitely the hardest part of working at a Best Buy. I've transferred to 3 places now, and the story is all so similar from one Best Buy to the other.
Fun Place to Shop, Bad Place to Work
Sales (Current Employee), Best Buy Two LocationsMay 17, 2012
Pros: co-workers.
Cons: few breaks, lousy management, low morale, very high turnover.
You'll go in as a sane individual & come out drained. Short if any breaks, constant complaints and nit-picking by Supervisors/Mgrs. even if you are doing great. There has been more employee turnover in a year than I have ever witnessed anywhere I have worked. Mgrs take two hour breaks!!!!! They group in the center of the floor and do nothing all day.

You get a chance to review your workplace once a year but few are brave enough to speak up since you work a few inconsistent hours, you know the immediate staff will read it and you know the favoritism runs rampant.

Your revenue stats & positive accomplishments are never appreciated. If you are really desperate for work go for it, otherwise do like most of my co-workers, go somewhere else. Since the upper Corporate Mgmt has made a mess of things, the lowly hourly employees will suffer. I see it getting worse.

*Yes I still work here & have no write-ups.

August 23, 2012

well done..

Close knit, energetic workplace
Operations Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, AbMarch 31, 2014
Pros: amazing staff room; satelite tv, ps3 games, vending machines, couches
Cons: slow computer systems at times, outdated pos system
Best Buy was a great place to work with a high energy staff, and a close knit "family" atmosphere.
A typical day at work starts off with a high energy staff meeting which goes over store stats and upcoming promotions.
I learned how to assist customers in a way so that they feel respected, listened to and that their was an attempt made at solving their problem even if it was not completely resolved. Being that the price point of much of the merchandise is quite high, the customers needed to feel catered to and appreciated.
The coworkers are very friendly and personable, there are many after hours activities and events that are aimed at employee bonding and socialization.
The hardest part of my job there was sometimes enforcing store policy to unreasonable customers, the most enjoyable part was the feeling of success and fulfillment after helping a customer who was truly appreciative for your help and experience.
Good place to work at, terrible management
Parts Harvesting (Former Employee), BramptonJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: 3 breaks in 8 hr shifts
Cons: poor management
Applied as Electronic Product tester, ended up working in the wrong department, Parts Harvesting. Took me few weeks to understand a whole completely different procedure, Staff was very irresponsible not setting up my Kronos hours, which led to mild frustration on them, did not walkthrough with the training, did not provide any standard operating procedure for IMPORTANT duties, did not provide any feedback on progress. Most of all, did not set up the workstation with server name, login and periphals. I had to take the trouble setting it up for myself.. All of a sudden closed the contract and asked me to leave. I was very dissapointed and will not recommend anybody to work in the Brampton Distribution centre. None of these people take responsibility for their actions. But other than that, food in the cafeteria was awesome, it felt like a good place to be.. I hope you donot join this location because you can be asked to leave any moment and suffer in this stubborn job economy.
Get to know new people through giving right service to the customers and have fun at the same time.
MULTI-CHANNEL SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 24, 2015
I answer phone calls about product inquiry, price checks, and deals with in-store reserve and pick-ups. I have learned on how to react with different kind of attitude from people and in how to meet their needs. Managers are supportive and encouraging and always try to find a way for us to enjoy our work place. Same as with my co-workers, everyone supports and shows respect to each other. Never boring just being around them. The hardest part of my job is trying to please every customer, with high expectations from everyone else, and dealing with complicated customer issues. Though, the most enjoyable part of it is getting appreciated by satisfied customers at the end of the day and getting busy everyday and being able to interact with positive attitude towards new people and the rush of the pressure that pushes me to do better in every little mistakes I do every now and then.
Terrible management, rude, uncaring, attitude of children
Home Entertainment Specialist (Former Employee), Halifax, NSApril 22, 2013
Cons: careless management
When i worked at best buy bayres lake, they chased a former employee out of the store screaming calling names at her, she was in tears... because she told them she could not work boxing day becasue it was a day of haunakkah, a part of her religion! They fired her based on that. They have some of the worst sales numbers in canada, Also previous manager was racist, told an employee to turn off that "n word music"... The managment doesnt care about you... i was hired seasonal, and told i'd be trained and if i learned quick enough.. i'd be hired for full or part time employement, i was basically thrown out onto the floor with no experience and expected to sell tv's, sound systems, things i know little about, i basically was instructed to lie to people to sell products. You can ask any employee former or current about how well best buy bayres lake is run, and what the managment is like... you wont hear good things.
Excellent environment, friendly staff, decent wages
Home Theater Specialist (Former Employee), Pointe-Claire, QCJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: great atmosphere, excellent staff, fun environment
Cons: poor scheduling that ultimately lead to my having to find other employment
I loved my time at Best Buy. The staff was excellent and there was always room for advancement and regular salary increases based on performance. I gained a lot of knowledge of the field that I was in when I worked there and I met a lot of great people. The biggest downside was when I had an illness in the family and specifically requested certain hours off to help take care of my family member and they acquiesced but did not follow through. It was as if they hadn't marked anything down and it got to a point where I was getting 25-30 hours per week but could only work a single 5-7 hour shift out of those hours. I would be scheduled during times I had requested off and when I'd say I could come in at 1pm for example instead of 10am, they would just say that it was okay and they didn't need me to come in that day, so I'd lose a lot of shifts.
A friendly enviroment with extremely nice and cooperative co-workers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 12, 2012
Work mainly involves solving customer issues at the Customer Service Desk. Managing their returns, exchanges and refunds while keeping both the parties happy. Listening to their complains and trying to understand their issues and help solve their problems.

Working at Best Buy I have learned that in order to be successful at any job, everyone needs to work together as a team and every single person matters regardless of their position in the company.

Observing my managers and supervisors over a year and a half, I have realized that these individuals have great power and positions in the company, nonetheless, the never act as if they are above you or anyone else.

The hardest and also enjoyable part of the job is handling customer complains and trying to remember that they are not per say directly angry and or upset with you, they are not pleased with their experience at the store. It is hard to not take it personally but also enjoyable because once you learn not to do that you are able to resolve issues much more efficiently.
Structure is needed to Maintain a fair workforce
Customer Service/Entertainment (Former Employee), Orangeville, ONFebruary 4, 2016
Pros: Taking pride in my job
Cons: Everything else
I worked for Best Buy when it was Future Shop. I was there for 8 years. Upon my time there i was moved twice into different positions thus learning how to run most of the store. However, the way the staff was projected to strive for numbers instead of quality was concerning for me. It seemed that money was more important than the customers experience. I was overlooked on several occasions to move into sales as i was told that i'm "Operations material, not sales." I would have appreciated the chance yet it seem that you had to be friends with the manager for that to happen. Hardest part of my job was seeing how things were done with such difficulty when they really didn't need to be. I would find simplistic ways of completing the same task yet it was frowned upon. The only joy I had there was the people....some of them. Not the clicks.
Overall a good place to work, although hard to make it into permanent full time staff
Sales Representative (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 16, 2012
Pros: staff discounts, competitive pay
Cons: some of the customers, long hours on feet
If you're into tech, it's a great place to work, the staff discount is pretty decent on certain items. (Cost +5%)
It's also nice there isn't a ton of pressure to sell since it isn't commission based, although they do stress you to sell service plans as much as possible. (which is probably the hardest part of the job, depending on the area you work in, a lot of people don't want extra warranty or service plans, no matter how well you try and sell them on it)
Also carrying around that clip board, you're suppose to write everything on it when talking to a customer, yeah that just gets in the way, but you get hassled if you don't use it.

standing on your feet even for 4 hours in dress shoes is horrible, so invest in a nice comfy pair. (rockport)
Salesmen Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 31, 2015
Pros: very easy going people, flexible hours and great benefits
Cons: only one break per shift, I prefer a 15 min twice rather then 1 half hour
A typical day starts within Best buy includes jumping right into work which detail in communicating with customers to find the right and best product for that consumer. I learned many ways to deal with customers and my product knowledge increased to a point way selling $2000 Mac-book's came at ease with increased up selling of different products such as Microsoft word or even protection plans. Co-workers would always work together to get the best experience for the customer because we are on a no commission bases. The hardest part was honestly was not being able to close a sale in the beginning but as my experience grew the easier it got to finalize the sale.
good start for learning marketing
Manager or senior of connected solution section (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: employ discounts
Cons: salary
Bestbuy is a really good place and i really enjoy working there. Its very fun and very productive. a place that you always learn something new from it. full of challenges which i really like. full of pressure but and stress which might make you mad but at least its not boring most of the times. I've learned so much in bestbuy especially in electronics section. Management part was one of the challenges that I had. at start i made some mistakes but i learned from it and and from now on i know how to face to problems and i think out of 10 i give my self 8.5. Still so many things to learn but I'm doing good.
The hardest part of this job to keep up sale and services in the dead and busy time of the store. the thing is when the store is dead we have good numbers on services but not in sales and in busy time is vice verse. Our job is too balance the numbers.
Alright Job
MERCHANDISER (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, AlbertaApril 16, 2015
Pros: Working with electronics, helping people
Cons: Getting heavy objects from heights, dealing with overstock
I did this job during the Christmas holiday in my grade 12 year. My job was to put stuff on to the shelves and keep them tidy and filled. My general manager is a good guy, funny and always feels like he listens to us. My direct supervisor is a little more apathetic though. Not terrible person, does her job well, but not someone I feel who does not see a problem.

Most my days are spent in the backroom, and it is a mess in there. Its the holiday though, so I don't know it was like that all the time. Getting the printers off the top shelve was not the safest thing I feel was done. We have one of those giant step ladders/stairs that we use to get the top shelves with so we don't have to balance on those smaller ladders, still not comfortable trying to get a heavy object at that height.
Such a great place to work with such a fun environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONJuly 15, 2014
Pros: 50% off my phone bill
Cons: not enough hours
Best Buy is a great place to work. A typical day for me would be to help as many customers as can and ensure that they leave with a good experience. I joke around with both the customers as well as the staff which make it any shift go by very quickly. The management is very good and is away willing to give you any help you may need and are very flexible when it comes to any sickness or injury. I have learned so much working there, not only about the products I sold but I learned better ways to interact with the customers and mae sure I was recommending the right products. There are so many benefits and discounts that make this place one of my favourites to work at but it sometimes can be very difficult helping customers understand why a certain service could really benefit them.
Flexible hours, but a deteriorating environment
Senior Staff (Former Employee), Toronto, OnSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: friendly staff, flexible schedules, staff discount
Cons: cut hours, no-commission in a commission like environment
I joined best buy in 2006, and worked with them non stop until May of this year. It was a good place to work for most of the time, and had the added benefit of being pretty flexible with shifts. My specific location also had a great staff and we became very friendly, which I felt was conducive to a healthy work environment.

Unfortunately over the years the environment deteriorated, understandably because of the retail crunch a lot of electronic retailers have felt in North America. Hours were slashed and the warm atmosphere was stifled, the sales environment - even though it wasn't a commission environment, started to feel as if it were.

Regardless, I've moved on, and hope that whatever hardships the company has, it can turn it around. A lot of wonderful people work there and rely on it's continued success.

November 14, 2012

when asked on the phone interview what my availability was i said it was open, because im thnking regular shopping hours. Took the bus to the interview, did employment history paper work after already doing an online application, and then once in the interview i was told i had to have an availability that included as early as 4am. They did not specify that in the phone interview, if they had i would not have even gone and wasted my time

Industry