Best Buy Employee Reviews

Fun environment to work in
Connected Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2017
Great company to work for, mainly because of the team as well as management.

Only downside was some employees felt they were not getting compensated for the work they would put in. An example would be a few of my old coworkers reaching the number one sales position in CANADA but would get a 20 cents raise.

Another problem would be the way scheduling was handled. We would only get our next weeks schedule a few days in advance... planning a social life around this was very difficult especially since they wanted you to book days off at least 2 weeks prior...
Pros
Very fun environment
Cons
Bad scheduling
fun retail
Music Teacher / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 March 2017
really enjoyed my time at Best Buy Canada. I was lucky enough to take part in the grand opening of the barrie store which debuted a music department/ school. It was the best thing i could have done at the time, great benefits, good/ secure pay and i got to play guitar for a lot of it (which is not the case for the rest of the store)

management was a little stuck in high school (mentality wise)

people are great to work with because for the most part its a bunch of college students who don't know what there doing in life haha
Pros
benefits/ security
Cons
advancement
fun workplace, inadequate management team
Product Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB4 November 2016
Working in this department, you often feel undervalued, more is expected of you than of other departments, and yet less is given back.
The environment can get somewhat childish, like being in high school, though it can be a lot of fun with great co-workers.
With a management team that causes more problems than it solves.
The Christmas rush can get overwhelming, with constant cutbacks on labor budgets.
Pros
good health benefits and staff discounts
Cons
poor management team
Can be fun sometimes horrible
Geeksquad Computer Information Agent (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 December 2016
Depends on the management in the store. I have had great and terrible management. Customers can feel way too entitled and sometimes customers are treated better than the employees.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Little no or advancement, pay raises very small, no job security.
Not bad for a large corporate organisation
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 March 2017
Can't complain too much about this company.

For a large corporation, they are reasonably focused on their employees.

The employee benefits package is good.

But they would benefit from providing more training for their staff
Pros
Good benefits plan
Cons
No staff training and development offered
Good way to learn about sales skill for beginners but not enought to grow
Connected Solution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 November 2016
Recommended for short term goal and work experienc BUT not recommend for long term goals. Communicate of management is bad to employees and management can sometimes give you a verbal abuse on the head sets and written.
Pros
Good employee discount and health benefits
Cons
Poor communication from leaders and management
fun and productive work place
Multi channel sales associate and customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 January 2017
great company to work for. I learned a lot of skills that are really useful to me. i worked with great staff and actually enjoyed going to work because the people there were amazing. Great benefits and opportunity for advancement.
Fun place to work, great management
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, on16 January 2017
Best Buy provided me work when I was just out of school. I advanced quickly and with a hard work ethic received praise and strong support from management. Happy with my time there.
Pros
Management support
Cons
Short lunches
Great for part time students, awesome benefits
Loss Prevention Specialist/Product Process Senior (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 August 2016
A typical day at work involved a an equal amount of physical labor and customer service. Team work was essential and developing good interpersonal skills was key to success both with customers and fellow employees. Met a lot of interesting people in different phases of their lives and learned much from them. Management was the key difference between a store that ran well and one that struggled. Hardest part of the job was the time demands especially during the holidays. Best part of the job was the benefits that even part timers are eligible for. Better than a lot of places at a similar pay level.
Fun team environment.
Product Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC6 March 2017
Amazing team. Everyone was super helpful to new and old employees both. Great learning experience. Very friendly environment. I learned a lot there and really enjoyed the experience, and found that I quite enjoy working in a warehouse environment.
Pros
Medical and dental benefits
Cons
Sometimes unpredictable schedules
fun place to work
Connected Solution Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL8 February 2017
Good place to work at. Management is really good and helpful. Interview process was a bit lengthy but overall quality place to work at.
Pros
easy work, sales floor is fun to work at, quality benefits
Cons
pay could be better
The culture of the store is incredible.
Product Process Senior (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2017
The store I worked in was fun, the people were friendly and the benefits were great. There were good leadership and lackluster. For the most part the store was a good experience, minus the favoritism.
Pros
wonderful people to work with
Cons
no shift variations
Not Happy With Rate Of Pay
Geek Squad Technician (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC28 September 2016
I am Not Happy About the rate of pay for geek squad technicians and not being able to grow within the company is frustrating when certifications are needed and the only way to achieve those is by paying for them firstly then having the company reimburse the money but when your not making enough to cover expenses and then have to pay 600 dollars to get the certification needed it makes things extremely difficult to achieve the goals and stay happy.
Benefits
Cons
Not Enough Money
Fun place to work
Product Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC9 September 2016
Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and learning new things. Hardest part of the job was the beginning because the training was not as clear as I expected it to be. Management really cares about your growth with the company and helps you.
Pros
Good benefits such as discounts on certain items, and having fun with coworkers outside of work
Cons
Sometimes we have short staff and its hard surviving through busy hours
good place with great team
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Lasalle, QC15 February 2017
Good place to work, fun people to work with and the benefits are great (part-time and full time benefits). You get to really learn how to work as a team in both sales and non sales environments.
Where else are you gonna go?
Connected Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL24 January 2017
Title says it all. You are expendable and management does not care about you. The "values" are simply lip service. If you go to management with a legitimate issue, they twist your words and somehow the issue ends up being framed as only your own. Perfect example of gas lighting. Management knows that you won't get paid as well for an entry level job anywhere else. That's how they trap you. No set schedule so youre eassentially a part-timer who works 37.5 hours per week. Your opinion is not valued and those who speak up end up being shot down or reprimanded. Absolutely no support from management and advancement is extremely difficult unless you "get in" with a manager and live the CULTure. The only way you can survive for life is to value the business more than the employees.

Co-workers were fantastic. It is unfortunate to see so many good people stuck in such a place because it is their only option.
Pros
Great co-workers, discount
Cons
Management, schedule, pressure to sell with no incentive
Good company perks, but horrible managment
Product Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB10 August 2016
The job at Best Buy in the warehouse was easy, easy to learn and safe, but the management made it a bad workplace, not for the pressure or the job itself, but the supervisor of the warehouse was rude since the first day, knowledgeable of the position, but incapable of directing the employees, always in a rude way and not understandable, provoking during my four months in there, the turnover of five employees of the warehouse. The GM, good person but did not do anything about it, and by personal chats with some of the other department´s workers, they were also not happy in the store. The assistant manager, in my opinion did not help to make things better, but had an undeniable strong desire to improve the selling part of the store, not the environment of the store.
The coworkers all fine, not a problem there...
Different people were promised better positions and salary but kept being delayed by the GM, aside of his "promoting internally policy".
Good company perks and possibly a nicer place to work in a different store but horrible managing, horrible experience in Brandon MB.
Pros
good perks
Cons
High turnover
Positive, "Geeky", and a whole lot of Hi fives!
Operations Manager/ HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2016
Great environment to work in with amazing people to match. A typical day is like any in retail where you are helping customers while giving a great experience. My day usually consists of building schedules, monitoring labour, ordering supplies for the store. We also are very invested in the growth of our staff. Leaders are constantly training and teaching out on the floor.
This company has taught me the importance of our people. Our people drive the business and their development is paramount.
Pros
Great benefits, invested staff, monthly fun events
Great Environment
Mobile Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 March 2017
great place to work amazing people. managment is pretty lazy. they promote from within. good benifits and vacation. Developed great sales skills and customer service skills
Best Buy Canada: Overall Review
Customer Service Rep/Hiring Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2016
Best Buy Canada cares about its employees and makes it painfully aware that the interests of its employees are the primary concern for the company. Through benefits and opportunities for advancement within the company, Best Buy offers a constructive atmosphere to generate a prosperous career. The work atmosphere itself is great, especially with like-minded individuals as coworkers and colleagues. The only downside to the company that I find lately is that the work environment itself is not associated with my career interests, and that I must expand outside the company to seek the type of experience that will assist me later in my professional career.
Pros
Great work atmosphere, helpful coworkers, enjoyable work experience
Cons
Not particularly associated with my academic degree or career interests

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy. Our community is ready to answer.