Best Buy Employee Reviews

Great for part time students, awesome benefits
Loss Prevention Specialist/Product Process Senior (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 August 2016
A typical day at work involved a an equal amount of physical labor and customer service. Team work was essential and developing good interpersonal skills was key to success both with customers and fellow employees. Met a lot of interesting people in different phases of their lives and learned much from them. Management was the key difference between a store that ran well and one that struggled. Hardest part of the job was the time demands especially during the holidays. Best part of the job was the benefits that even part timers are eligible for. Better than a lot of places at a similar pay level.
Fun place to work
Product Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC9 September 2016
Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and learning new things. Hardest part of the job was the beginning because the training was not as clear as I expected it to be. Management really cares about your growth with the company and helps you.
Pros
Good benefits such as discounts on certain items, and having fun with coworkers outside of work
Cons
Sometimes we have short staff and its hard surviving through busy hours
good start for learning marketing
Manager or senior of connected solution section (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK26 January 2016
Bestbuy is a really good place and i really enjoy working there. Its very fun and very productive. a place that you always learn something new from it. full of challenges which i really like. full of pressure but and stress which might make you mad but at least its not boring most of the times. I've learned so much in bestbuy especially in electronics section. Management part was one of the challenges that I had. at start i made some mistakes but i learned from it and and from now on i know how to face to problems and i think out of 10 i give my self 8.5. Still so many things to learn but I'm doing good.
The hardest part of this job to keep up sale and services in the dead and busy time of the store. the thing is when the store is dead we have good numbers on services but not in sales and in busy time is vice verse. Our job is too balance the numbers.
Pros
employ discounts
Cons
salary
Fast paced while still maintaining a friendly environmment
Customer Experience Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 October 2016
Working at Best Buy is always a fun and enjoyable experience. The employees are very friendly and welcoming, and are always willing to help when needed.

A typical day at work entails walking in and just starting your work day. There is no unnecessary tasks that need to be done prior to your shift, and everyone else who is working is always there to warmly greet you.

In my six months working, my co-workers make me feel as if I have been working there over a year and have always been there for me when I need their help. It is very easy to be myself while working and maintaining proper work ethics.
Pros
relaxing environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
long hours, can be exhausting
Decent place to work
MCSA (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC7 February 2016
Probably my favorite place to work, due to me actively enjoying the tech industry and working in it. The management was great at first, but during the holiday season it obviously got a little worse, but you can't really complain about that. Overall great company, and if given the chance I'd love to work there again, as I was on a Seasonal Contract.
Pros
Food provided for holidays, benefits, great staff, excellent discounts
Cons
Holiday Season
Excellent training and opportunity for advancement
Sales Associate (Home Solutions) (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC23 August 2016
Best Buy is a great place to work, with fantastic training programs and lots of opportunity for advancement.

The sales position is made much less stressful with a no commission strategy, and employees are given a range of techniques to close sales in a more constructive way for the customer. Associates are encouraged to sell the right products rather than the most expensive ones, allowing you to build better trust and a better long term relationship with the customer. Between e-learnings and seminars, associates are given many tools to properly assess the customer's needs, and get them the best solution.

The company encourages promotions and hiring from within for their Geek Squad and corporate positions. I personally want to get into the Geek Squad, and I've been put on the track to get there. I'm very happy with this company, and can see a long career with them.
Pros
Good break room, friendly co-workers, team building exercises
Cons
Difficult to get hours when first starting
Flexible and Honest Work Environment
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 March 2016
I learned more interpersonal and communication skills being a part of the Best Buy community. I enjoyed the benefits and the work/life balance.
Pros
Discounts
Productive and fun workplace
Product Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON7 June 2016
The job is a really good place especially the management, however I have been trying to move to the sales floor for about a month now. I'm not planning on staying much longer as I want to move up and find a better job in my career field.
Fun coworkers, mediocre job
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 November 2016
The atmosphere with the coworkers is very fun, there are constant outings put on by the management so there are plenty of opportunities to get together and make coworkers friends. My issue is the rapid turnover of employees, the lack of competent electronics with which to perform your job, and the lack of help from managers when dealing with difficult customers.
If you work in sales you can count on learning a ton about the products.
Pros
Good team, fun atmosphere
Cons
management isn't always helpful, frequent rude customers
One of us
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2016
This job was fun, but the culture creeped me out. I was a guy searching for shoplifters, thefts and discrepancies in the store. Not a great way to make friends. It's a typically loss prevention job. Notes, long periods of boring, and few times you feel like your actually stopping crime. Not for everyone, but an entry level job for those who like to keep people honest.

So.. culture made me think of those drink the punch cults. Not for me.
Pros
Good deals on electronics, work in stable job, full time is full time
Cons
No real friends (loss provention problem), No notebooks provided, low wages
Alright place to work but management kills it
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 October 2016
Starbucks was a decent place to pick up some extra income while I was in school but the management brought down the quality of the workplace culture. Hours were very hard to get and expectations were extremely high. Pay was mediocre.
Great team to work with and it was a great environment at my store!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2016
I was happy with my time at Best Buy. Our workdays as managers usually consisted of answering emails, making sure the computers and systems to sell phones were up and running, helping customers find their perfect mobile solution, and making sure the staff is performing their job duties in addition to coaching them to ensure they're constantly improving. I would say the hardest and most fulfilling part of the job, at my location at least, was dealing with the clientele. It was a great feeling once someone was able to get a phone, but getting them approved was a challenge.
Pros
Being in control of your store, being able to build a great team
Cons
The clientele at the mall I was at was not the most desirable
Amazing workplace culture and team building organization. Strives Sales Experts to step outside their boundaries and improve interpersonal skills.
Sales Expert (Home Solutions) (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON20 September 2016
BestBuy gives employees a vast amount of opportunities to understand the linguistics and skills needed in order to be a successful salesman, while at the same time promoting quality service to consumers. Managing staff are often competent and helpful with sales and product knowledge and can offer some great advice to improve productivity. The cultural atmosphere is welcoming but can seem challenging at first due to a results oriented nature of the departments, but once a employee gets used to the products and process, sales becomes less challenging.
Pros
Great working atmosphere, product discounts, technology knowledge to help products used at home.
Cons
Retail Hours, Weekend Shifts, Overflow of Consumers on holidays or events
Productive and fun work environment
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 November 2016
Fantastic place to be and build a career.. Lots of great accessories and electronics to check. fantastic work environment lots of positive energy and great employeees
Pros
free lunches
Cons
competitive and challenging work
Great co-workers , not the best management
Service a la clientele (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 January 2016
Its great working there , my co-workers are the best , the salary is 11$ without commission and they still pressure you to sell warranties , if you don't sell a lot , they remove hours from your shift which is horrible. If it wasn't for the people i work with i would have quitted a long time ago.
Pros
Best co-workers, fun enviroment
Cons
Hours, pay
Product process specialist( media position )
product process specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill high tech9 September 2015
Really o.k when your in co-op than possible chance ,I recently became a part time , but I`m still doing the same positions in co-op ( movies , down stocking , putting prices tags and pricing movies). Really I feel that the manager is really making an excuse for to fire me! but really I manage to do my best coping this part time and looking for new job part time job in future. Surly that the manager would be happy but really good discounts, dental benefits , like insurance. Even as student (full time and taking part time continue education in post secondary school). But maybe there might be possible that I might become a full part time product process position, or I might just find another before the manager take me out of the job.
Pros
really comfortable environment, good discounts, general manager is great and great supervisor
Cons
low days, lack of hours or no days at all and no promotions
Customer Service Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 September 2016
The people are the best part about this job. This job completely relies on teamwork and communication. Hardest part of this job are the rushes and some management issues. Management issues completely depend on location. The major thing I learned while working there is to overcome your fears and develop excellent customer service skills.
Pros
The people
Fast paced, competitive, rewarding
Sales Associate / Gaming Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2016
A great place to work, honed my skills of sales and pushed me to reach new points. When you work hard they recognize it and reward you accordingly. Customer service was great as well
Pros
Good discount
A very playful and helping environment
Cashier in Operations (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 May 2016
A typical day at worked involved attending to customers at the cash, showing customers that you are available, cleaning the workspace, and organizing cases by putting them in corresponding bins or putting empty ones in the back storage room. By doing this I learned a lot about technology and how to socialize with others. The management was very nice and playful, they would answer any questions and joked around light-heatedly. Co-workers are also very playful and are always there to give a helping hand.
The hardest part of the job is if you do not know much about the products, it can be difficult to answer a customer's question. Most enjoyable is being able to work in such a great environment and being able to meet so many new people.
Positive and fun place to work!
Geeksquad (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 October 2016
Perfect place to work, lots of support and very friendly environment. I highly recommend Bestbuy for employment. Professional and very well maintained
Pros
Friendly