Berlitz

Berlitz Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to work if you are independent
English/French Language Teacher (Current Employee), MarkhamJuly 21, 2014
I love this job. My only complaint would be I don't work enough! The hours are all over the place.
no comments
French Teacher (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 22, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: terrible managment, not enough work hours, environment disaster
i didn't like it, it was a pleasure working with students, but the management was terrible, didn't know how to handle properly their staff, nothing for French teacher,
Excellent working environment
English instructor (Former Employee), CairoApril 1, 2013
Pros: working environment
Cons: salary
A place where I received professional training,developed my skills and acquired excellent experience in human communication.
Flexible workplace with guitars in the staff room
English Instructor (Former Employee), JPEDecember 10, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: few hours in the winter season
A workday at Berlitz usually consisted of arriving, picking up the files of the students to be taught that day, lesson preparation, subsequent lesson delivery while waiting for the next student between classes.

I learned to be flexible and work in an environment where there were teachers from several different countries.

My Instructional Supervisor – more... was very competent and was willing to schedule me around my hours of availability. We aroked well together to solve issues that arose.

My co-workers, coming from all areas of the globe, each brought their own understanding of how everything worked. They were a lot of fun in the staff room as well.

The hardest part of the job was teaching those that did not want to be taught and were only there because their bosses told them to be there.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being with my colleagues. Many of them had interesting personalities. – less
Hope managment has changed
ESL Instructor (Former Employee), JPDMay 25, 2012
Pros: varied working conditions
Cons: western managers-supervisors
This is for Berlitz Japan. The job itself was good, however; the Western managers we had were terrible. They would do things that would be illegal in our home countries but because we were in Japan, they felt exempt from the law. The Japanese staff were great and honest and were a pleasure to work with.
Excellent Work Environment
English/French Instructor, CSR (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 9, 2012
Pros: flexible schedules, rewarding experience, excellent work environment.
Cons: unreliable hours.
Teaching at Berlitz is a rewarding experience. Teachers arrive before their class, review the student file, and prepare for class. This job has helped me develop excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills. The management is very approachable and does whatever they can to help you. My co-workers are very friendly, and I have become close with – more... a number of them. The hardest part of the job is teaching a student that is taking language training because it is required for their job. Most students are excited to learn a language, but some see it as a waste of time. The challenge in this is to find a way to make the lesson interesting for them while still teaching. The most enjoyable part is seeing the progress that students make and how happy they are about it. – less
A good short-term job
Instructor (Former Employee), TokyoAugust 7, 2014
Pros: 1.colleagues: there’s good camaraderie amongst the teachers, 2.students: a minority are great to teach and/or have very interesting jobs, 3.vacation: if you give enough notice it’s quite easy to take paid or unpaid vacation, 4.not much stress: the job starts and finishes with the bell.
Cons: 1.work schedule: most of your lessons will be in the evenings and on weekends., 2.salary: 250k p/mon. (+derisory bonus/pay rise) is ok if you’re young+single+live in a cheap place., 3.training: even the trainers are untrained because b. invests in no-one., 4.management: while it has a great reputation on the outside the opposite is true on the inside.
I worked in Tokyo for four years as a full-time instructor until I left last year.

All things considered, I’d recommend it if you are young and are thinking of working there for 6-12 months.
In the first year, you’ll meet some great people (colleagues and students) and you’ll learn a lot about teaching and about Japan.
Stay longer though and you’ll – more... realize that you are going nowhere.

Essentially, it should be viewed only as a short-term job. – less
Would not recommend to those with teaching experience
Business English Instructor (Current Employee), 11August 3, 2014
Pros: working with multipe nationalities
Cons: low pay, inconsistent management practices, improper auditing
This company would best fit the needs of recent college grauduates who are unfamiliar with proper work/company practices.

There appears to be a consistent lack of transparency and consistency among management. Promises are made with the intention of appeasing the employee, however, implementation is rarely carried out, and if so in an untimely manner.
There – more... also seems to be a history of improper auditing practices which has led to not being paid for duties performed. – less
Great for those Exploring Japan
English Instructor (Former Employee), JPCJuly 1, 2014
This was a great place to work if you are someone who is just looking for a temporary job while you explore or study in Japan.
I'd do it again today
English language Teacher (Former Employee), JapanJune 5, 2014
Pros: working hourse
Cons: working in pairs
What a magnificente experience to work with Japanese kidds. I loved it and as the tittle says I would do it again tomorrow.
Great place for multicultural experience
Language Instructor (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 5, 2014
I like working at Berlitz because I get a chance to teach English to non-English speakers from many countries with many backgrounds and of different ages. Teaching these students is a great way to learn about a new culture while teaching them about mine. It can be a challenge sometimes due to cultural differences, but patience and determination can – more... help a great deal! Everyone at Berlitz is so kind, friendly, and always willing to help. It is a great atmosphere for those who want to expand their cultural understandings past their own. – less
Great people bad money
Language Instructor (Current Employee), Denver, COMay 5, 2014
Pros: experience and fun people
Cons: bad hour rate paid
Work for almost couple years with Berlitz and I have to say, good place to start a temporary job. People are great but the money you earn as language instructor is terrible (around $11/hour). Good management and co-workers are great. Hardest part of the job is working a lot during a week, earning little money, and then the next week no more classes.
Amazing workplace to meet and interact with different people with diverse backgrounds.
English & Spanish Professor (Current Employee), San Juan, PRApril 24, 2014
It's a great company in which the employee learns how to teach and perfect the art of teaching. It doesn't follow a routine; everyday there's something new. You will have an array of experiences with each class. Co-workers are extremely friendly and willing to cooperate.
Fun Work place
French Instructor (Current Employee), bellevue, WaMarch 11, 2014
I enjoy teaching French to my students. I like to work at berlitz
A very flexible and culturally diverse environment.
English Language Instructor (Current Employee), KanayamaMarch 6, 2014
Berlitz allows its employees to choose their work hours. The company also allows to leave for family events and emergencies.
Working at Berlitz has allowed me to improve on a myriad of skills such as presentation, management and Japanese language skills.
Good, fun job
ESL Teacher and Academic Director (Former Employee), Madrid, SpainFebruary 16, 2014
This was a good, fun place to work. However, at times it was a lot of work for little compensation.
Teacher of Conversational English and Spanish Languages
Language Instructor (Current Employee), Guaynabo, P.R.February 3, 2014
Teach adult professionals English and Spanish languages as a second language.

Intrapersonal and social skills.

No management other than keeping order in class.

All intelligent and highly educated.

Teaching.

Teaching.
It was interesting experience
Berlitz and private Part time Russian teacher (Former Employee), Brighton, ENGFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: everything was okb
The project was short but interesting. I met lovely people because of it.
Interesting and fun place to work!
Spanish Instructor (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: meeting people from all walks of life.
Cons: part time, not enough work and no health care.
I absolutely love to work and to have been working at this worldwide language school. I have had the opportunity to meet people from around the globe mainly at the company and people from all walks of life as students. Getting to know these students has been as pleasantly challenging and most interesting to work with each one!
Free-lance, but little mixing with co-workers
Part-time, free (Former Employee), WASHINGTON, DCJanuary 13, 2014
Free-lance work didn't provide me a job culture of being with other employees to share ideas and experiences.

1 2 3

About Berlitz

Benesse Corporation wants to help you live well, from infancy to old age. The diversified company provides products and services – Read more

Berlitz Photos