Bentley Leathers Employee Reviews

Shaking my head..
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS11 May 2017
I worked for this company for quite a few months. The experience and learning to sell items was a great learning curve. The hours were also bountiful. Coworkers were great to work with. However...

The management and environment was the worst I've ever experienced in any of my careers. I was not comfortable having to provoke people to sell things, and even when I tried, the pressure was still extremely difficult to do so, I felt I wasn't rewarded for my previous actions. This company should not be a "commission-esque" job. You can not force people to buy things they don't want and because of that... Many people hate the store.

Management was rude. I was expected never to push a customer towards management because I was told "they'll come back angry and I don't want to deal with that." If you're management you should allow customers to be angry and deal with them professionally, not tell your associates they have to deal with the harassment. Most people wanted to speak with management and I had no control over that.
Aside from that people came and left within a week constantly. It was ridiculous the amount of people who got hired, worked a shift and left. Though after awhile, I understood.
My final straw (among numerous) was when I was belittled for applying to other jobs. I stayed during a busy time (a whole month) to be polite. When management found out I had been applying to other jobs (assuming neighboring stores were gossiping) I was ignorantly approached by our manager saying "you didn't tell me you were applying for other jobs." In all my life, I've never heard
  more... of having to give any form of notice when applying to other jobs. I felt attacked simply for looking to better my employment (and mental health at that point) and at that time I hadn't even been contacted for another job. It was a day or two later that manangement got "snippy" for simply handing out resumes.

Long story short, I don't think twice of ever working for the company again, let alone my friends/family and I doubt I'll ever shop there again.
Pros
Good coworkers, good hours for a key holder.
Cons
Management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB1 May 2017
For the most part it was a wonderful job with a good atmosphere. There was some room for growth. Different managing could have been applied in store. District manager was very helpful and understanding.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Only part time
great learning experience
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON25 April 2017
I learned a lot about myself and others in customer service skills and product knowledge while working at Bentley. Management helped me with tips in order to remember each and every product. The people were nice and easy to get along with. I enjoyed helping customers find exactly what they needed.The hardest part was to break up the boxes and take them to the trash.
Miserable work environment
Executive & Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC24 April 2017
Employees were paid minimum wage and expected to work overtime without compensation. Owner and ceo was not approachable. The Executive Secretary was a basket case.
Pros
Cons
everything
Not too shabby.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 April 2017
I got long hours per day, and got a bunch of work done. It was important to remember which was the top selling brands and the perks and downfalls of some of the item. If we didn't have something in stock, we'd have to call other stores to request a item put on hold.
Pros
50% off everything.
Cons
Management disappointing.
Very good
Manager (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON31 March 2017
Excellent team of talented and hard working people. Hours that allow for a home life. Many contests and activities to keep staff and management motivated. Excellent employee discounts.
sales
Key Holder/ Sales Person (Current Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC25 March 2017
Greeting customer; selling mechanize; hardest part is to stay motivated at slow times. I enjoy meeting new people.
what have learnt is to up selling; how to interact with public.
Pros
experience of opening a brand new store
Cons
Not enough hours
Very challenging job. Co-workers are very nice and hardworking too.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador10 March 2017
I love and missed my position as a Manager at Bentley. I love my job as the head of the store, what to decide on what work needs to be done, organizes, select people to accomplish every tasks given , creating and motivating a team through effective communication. I love deciding through suggestions from the employees on how to put new product display and how the products will be creatively and effectively visualized by customers.And most of all I love interacting with my customers answering their questions and helping them to give the benefits and great feature of any products that they want in the store.
Pros
Good discount on all the products
Cons
cannot return and refund final discounted sale products.
Flexible Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 March 2017
Offers little full-time work opportunity but good place for those new to retail. No commission which brings security but also offers little opportunity for growth
high intensity
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC2 March 2017
Very busy work environment. Amazing suppliers. Loved looking at the future products. Learned many things in the accounting department that I have kept in my mind after all these years.
Incredibly bad management
Assistante gérante (Former Employee) –  St.-Bruno-de-Montarville, QC13 February 2017
Worst work experience of my career. Unfair, unclear, unprofessional manager with personal problems. Should not work with clientele and mostly should not be managing employees.
Overall great place to work, gain experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2017
I enjoyed working here, everyone was great. The location I was in was a busy one and everyone is very friendly and welcoming.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Up-selling
Awesome place of work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC2 February 2017
Bentley was a great place to work. Great management and very flexible. I learnt a lot about customer service and other great things to give me experience for further work opportunities
Management was terrible
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2017
Did not enjoy or felt comfortable working at Bentley Leathers. Working with various ages, I found there to be a lot of gossip and immaturity among my colleagues and the management team.
chill, nice coworkers
Sales Associate (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2017
we sell luggage's, customer services, selling handbags and backpack, management is good too, the workplace is nice can be busy during summer- getting back to school, Christmas. I guess for the hardest part of the job would be dealing with customers who are not understanding of what you're trying to tell them.
benefits
Cons
giving less hours
Classic Retail Environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2017
Bentley is a very classic retail environment. The really outstanding thing about working here is the people you work with. It's been a really interesting journey.
Great Business to Work at!!!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC17 January 2017
a typical day at work included shelving, re organizing, stock, till, and customer service. The hardest part of the job was re-organizing the purses to look nice.
Great company to work for
Retail saleswoman (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2016
Bentley is a wonderful company to work for. The management is very hands on and listens to an demands or issues at hand. They care for their employees and treat us with respect.
My customer service skills have only improved with working for Bentley.

It is a job I look forward going to.
Pros
Great management, new learning experiences
Cons
Small store= low hours sometimes
Strong Team at Bentley Leathers
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON10 December 2016
A typical day starts with opening and organizing the store then checking our daily emails online for any current changes from HQ, such as new featured displays, price changes and and any other new protocols.
during the work day I serve and assist customers, answer the phone, and maintain inventory.
Closing duties include cleaning the store, storing merchandise, sending daily reports of sales and budget to HQ electronically and completing deposit slips.

I enjoy working with everyone at my location and my manager is wonderful, very motivating and friendly.
Pros
I can take my lunch break whenever keeping in mind of my coworkers and busy peek times.
Lacking trained management and professionalism to handle serious matters.
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON25 October 2016
Management ignores your concerns, and doesn't solve serious matters appropriately.
If you're bullied or talked down to unprofessionally by a manager they get away with it. It is NOT taken seriously when brought to human resources attention.
You're told to deal with it yourself...
Want a raise? Sure, once minimum wage goes up.
This is not a team player based environment, you're expected to compete against your Co workers for best sales.
As keyholders and managers, you don't get paid nearly enough for the responsibilities you have. And if you even consider getting a second job to make ends meet, kiss your title good bye.
Unless your a manager or assistant then you won't get hours.
Nothing but drama drama drama.

Overall , this was the worst job I've had and for anyone considering working here, don't waste your time and effort.
Pros
Great job to use as a stepping stone. But not somewhere to work the rest of your life.
Cons
Unless your a manager or assistant expect to not have many hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bentley Leathers. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6