Bentley Leathers Employee Reviews

frustrating management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON6 October 2017
the management was difficult to deal with they do not listen tothe staff complaints they were unwilling to change anything even if the staff was right .
Pros
Cons
boss was not good at her job
Not a good place to grow
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 October 2017
I was happy to start working here, I felt very positive and outgoing. I worked hard and even took on extra responsibilities such as those of a manager/assistant manager. I eventually asked for a raise that would never be given to me in almost eight years. You are demanded to be pushy with customers and insist a lot. You are constantly talked down to, and they push into your personal life. Benifits and sick days dont exist, family deaths are not a concern to them.
Pros
Meet nice co workers. Good for a first job.
Cons
You never get a raise, always change your schedule, give you your schedule last minute when it should be done 2 weeks in advance, you give your all for no reason, No where to grow in the company, They speak to you disrespectfully at times and make you feel useless
High expectation for little-to-no compensation
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 August 2017
You are expected to sell and up-sell to a ridiculous point. Hours are cut based on sales alone. Upper management has no idea as to what our customers actually want. Poor-quality product with climbing prices do not make it easy to sell. Heaven help you if you happen to meet the Owner or CO of the company: they are unapproachable and deluded about the kind of business they are running. This job may be OK if you're doing part-time, seasonally. However, company policy is that management are not allowed to give references. Store-level managers are the only thing that keep people there longer than a month.
Pros
Generous Staff Discount
Cons
Upper Management, Commission-like sales expectations without compensation, Unorganized
Good sales staff, Terrible management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 July 2017
Currently a PT employee. Hours are acceptable though never secured as management constantly wants to hire more employees to reduce hours.

There is a looming feeling that no matter how much you push sales or even how good a job you do, one slip-up or a bad week could result in termination. Meanwhile, there is very little incentive or reward for going above and beyond.

Compensation is minimum wage no questions asked, but employees are forced to sell as if they are on commission. Most customers don't appreciate it.

At the store level culture is great, co-workers (and I've seen many come and go) are always super friendly.

The product quality isn't great unless it's the highest priced in the store. Selling even a moderately priced handbag is tricky when customers know the product is sub-par.

All-in-all an okay place to make a little extra money... definitely not a solid career choice.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
It was a fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB11 July 2017
It was a great place to work and to learn from. It was really easy going there and mistakes were made but you learned from them. It felt like a family more than a work place.
Pros
Percentage off merchandise
Cons
No lunch breaks
Interesting experience
Stock Boy (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 July 2017
I didn't do much during my time at Bentley Leathers. I stayed in the back in the stock room and sorted everything and made sure there was enough ready to display bags so that they could refill at the end of the night
good experience
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Severn, ON22 June 2017
I was only hired as a seasonal customer service rep. it was a great way to gain customer experience and to get to know new people. it was my first job and it was a good one.
Work place
Sales Associate, customer service representation (Former Employee) –  Nelson, BC17 June 2017
Bentley Leathers gave me the opportunity to interact on a personal basis with customers. I have developed long term relationships that continue to this day The management was weak in that we had no control over stock situations
Should have read more reviews before agreeing to work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alberta13 June 2017
I have never worked for such a company before in my whole career. I was hired as a part-time to a store that had no manager. I had little training. Expected to work every weekend, do management stuff like train new staff and paperwork but make the same as everyone else and sell sell sell. No support from management. Long hours without breaks.
If you want to be overworked, underpaid (minimum wage) AND under appreciated, by all means, get a job here.
Only perks were I met nice coworkers and discount.
Pros
Staff discount, decent coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Great company
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NS11 June 2017
The company was always friendly and supportive. I loved my manager and my assistant manager. They are great to work for, and I always felt part of the team and that my work and effort was always appreciated.

Want to know more about Bentley Leathers?

Ask a question
bien
Assistante aux ventes (Former Employee) –  Rouyn-Noranda, QC11 June 2017
jai ete seulement quel ques semaine s temps partiel et ensuite je suis tomber a temps plein car notre gerante a ete en arret de travail , alors j'ai eu a apprendre plusieurs taches je suis tres fier d'avoir relever ce defi !!!
Pros
Le personne nous avions une très belle complicite et tout ce que j'ai pu apprendre de ce travail
Wonderful workplace with excellent discounts and cooperative employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON7 June 2017
This was one of my favourite places to work. I gained a lot of experience not only working in a new place but also getting to know new people and learning a better way to helping people buy and fulfill their needs. My manager and assistant manager were very helpful and were always willing to teach me new things, in order for me to advance at my workplace.
Pros
good amount of hours even though I worked part time
A Canadian based company with thousands of united employees of all races, creeds, and kinds. Very charitable, and focussed on being the best!!
Manager, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC27 May 2017
A wonderful fast-paced retail environment, where everyday is a new challenge and opportunity to grow.

A large company that still encourages multi-culturalism, and not only recognizes the consumers needs but also the needs of their employees.
Pros
Flexible hours...and loads of opportunities to grown within the Company.
Cons
Vacation Blackouts for all staff during peak season...Back to School, Black Friday, Christmas
Shaking my head..
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS11 May 2017
I worked for this company for quite a few months. The experience and learning to sell items was a great learning curve. The hours were also bountiful. Coworkers were great to work with. However...

The management and environment was the worst I've ever experienced in any of my careers. I was not comfortable having to provoke people to sell things, and even when I tried, the pressure was still extremely difficult to do so, I felt I wasn't rewarded for my previous actions. This company should not be a "commission-esque" job. You can not force people to buy things they don't want and because of that... Many people hate the store.

Management was rude. I was expected never to push a customer towards management because I was told "they'll come back angry and I don't want to deal with that." If you're management you should allow customers to be angry and deal with them professionally, not tell your associates they have to deal with the harassment. Most people wanted to speak with management and I had no control over that.
Aside from that people came and left within a week constantly. It was ridiculous the amount of people who got hired, worked a shift and left. Though after awhile, I understood.
My final straw (among numerous) was when I was belittled for applying to other jobs. I stayed during a busy time (a whole month) to be polite. When management found out I had been applying to other jobs (assuming neighboring stores were gossiping) I was ignorantly approached by our manager saying "you didn't tell me you were applying for other jobs." In all my life, I've never heard
  more... of having to give any form of notice when applying to other jobs. I felt attacked simply for looking to better my employment (and mental health at that point) and at that time I hadn't even been contacted for another job. It was a day or two later that manangement got "snippy" for simply handing out resumes.

Long story short, I don't think twice of ever working for the company again, let alone my friends/family and I doubt I'll ever shop there again.
Pros
Good coworkers, good hours for a key holder.
Cons
Management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB1 May 2017
For the most part it was a wonderful job with a good atmosphere. There was some room for growth. Different managing could have been applied in store. District manager was very helpful and understanding.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Only part time
great learning experience
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON25 April 2017
I learned a lot about myself and others in customer service skills and product knowledge while working at Bentley. Management helped me with tips in order to remember each and every product. The people were nice and easy to get along with. I enjoyed helping customers find exactly what they needed.The hardest part was to break up the boxes and take them to the trash.
Miserable work environment
Executive & Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC24 April 2017
Employees were paid minimum wage and expected to work overtime without compensation. Owner and ceo was not approachable. The Executive Secretary was a basket case.
Pros
Cons
everything
Not too shabby.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 April 2017
I got long hours per day, and got a bunch of work done. It was important to remember which was the top selling brands and the perks and downfalls of some of the item. If we didn't have something in stock, we'd have to call other stores to request a item put on hold.
Pros
50% off everything.
Cons
Management disappointing.
Very good
Manager (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON31 March 2017
Excellent team of talented and hard working people. Hours that allow for a home life. Many contests and activities to keep staff and management motivated. Excellent employee discounts.
sales
Key Holder/ Sales Person (Current Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC25 March 2017
Greeting customer; selling mechanize; hardest part is to stay motivated at slow times. I enjoy meeting new people.
what have learnt is to up selling; how to interact with public.
Pros
experience of opening a brand new store
Cons
Not enough hours