Bennett Jones LLP Employee Reviews

Favourite firm
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 19, 2016
From my experience, Bennett Jones is by far the nicest place to work. Those who have never worked anywhere else may lack the appreciation, but I have been to several other firms. I like working with both of my lawyers, the workspace for assistants is spacious which provides plenty of room to stay organized (in most other firms I was crammed into a tiny mouse hole where the lawyers just piled work on top of documents on top of files and it became impossible to stay neat and organized). This is particularly important when working with more than one lawyer. My department is quiet so it's easy to focus on my work. In my opinion and from my experience, hard work is appreciated here and is rewarded. Every good and every bad company is the way it is because of management and it all trickles down. It is clear that management is well structured and they actually care whether or not the employees are happy. This to me is new and very refreshing. It is a busy workplace and fast paced and there is always something to do, but there are helpful departments available for assistance when required, whether it be training on a program, document processing, IT help, whatever the case may be. This support system makes it a lot more efficient when getting the job done. When first starting out at the firm, there is a training program in place before you are at your desk so you are not just thrown into the middle of everything.

The only thing that would concern me is if the 4 lawyers to one assistant were to be implemented, which is apparently in the process. Two lawyers are feasible, in SOME instances
  more... three lawyers, but four lawyers to one assistant is never effective in any case, especially not in some departments.

In terms of the culture, I have found people to be more pleasant here than any firm I have worked at. I think that is mostly due to the fact that most people are happy at their job.

The only way I would ever leave BJ is if the 4 to 1 were implemented, or if I decided I wanted to go into a completely different field, but I would not leave for another law firm.
Pros
spacious workspace, quiet office, staff appreciation events, benefits, beautiful staff lounge area
Cons
may implement 4 lawyers to 1 assistant
A good working environment
Field Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2015
Working in different department gives you a better understanding of how the work flows. Adjusting to the workplace was relatively easy, this is due to the willingness of co-workers to help.
Pros
Good field experience
Cons
The length of time could be longer
By the books office
accounting assistent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 21, 2015
I worked in accounting and it was a very stressful job. Lots of money coming in and going out. Making sure everything was balances. Staff was very hard headed. Everything was by the book. If they didn't want you there any more they would find a way to push you out. Its a law firm that is run like a prison. There are some good people that work there but if your there long enough, it changes you or you leave.
Pros
fast paste work
Cons
narrow minded work place, everyone is better then you
Great Job with Great People
Corporate Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2013
My direct Supervisor/Lawyer was fantastic. I really enjoyed working for him, among the other staff in the Real Estate Department. As a employee in good standings, my dealings with Upper Management were very limited.

Typically, a day at work would start off by checking my emails and voicemails and responding accordingly. Checking My lawyers emails and doing any ground work in preparation for his arrival. While he was out of the office I would do any administrative tasks that could be done without supervision, and when he was in the office I would focus my time at the tasks given.
Pros
benifits, great boss
Cons
salary
Great learning opportunity
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 18, 2012
I initially started working here during Christmas season, while I was a student and they also prepicked me for my practicum. I enjoyed having the opprotunity to work in various areas of law as it helped me familiarize myself with the area I enjoyed the most.

Everyone was friendly
Law Firm
Corporate Commercial Conveyancing Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2012
Fast paced workplace with extremely high expectations placed upon all employees with very little room for error.
Pros
great committees, and many free lunches
Cons
no constructive critisim to impove job performance

Bennett Jones LLP Reviews by Location