Benefit Cosmetics Employee Reviews

Would not recommend
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Berkshire18 March 2017
The only thing i enjoyed about this job was getting to interact with lots of different types of people and make them feel good about themselves. I genuienly loved doing make up which i studied at college.

Working for Benefit changed my whole perspective on pursuing make up professionally. The management from store all the way up to area manager were bullies and if you didn't have a tan and brown hair your weren't a benefit girl. There was a culture of bulling and intimidation.

While I was at a training event we were told by the head trainer of the company. "Benefit don't employ unattractive people, fundamentally they just can't sell makeup" I believe this says a lot about their ethics as a company.

I would not recommend anyone to work for them. The pay is minimum wage most of the time regardless of experience.
Fun, creative, and positive place to work.
Boutique Proprietor (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CA29 November 2016
Benefit Cosmetics is a fun, creative, and inspiring atmosphere in which to work. I am constantly being motivated to do better and to grow, and the company compensates its employees well. I thoroughly enjoy the interaction I have with my clients and getting to know them personally through product interaction and salon services. The most challenging aspect of my job includes thinking of innovative ways to grow our business, but I have a lot of freedom in the manner in which I can network and gain additional clientele.
Pros
Compensation, benefits, work-life balance
fun job managment was no good
Beauty consultant/ Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, UK10 February 2017
I started at benefit when he had just started to come out in the uk I was never trained and was expected to sell product I had no clue how to use also
the management I was under were rude and signalled me out I wanted to do a college course to help with my makeup career and I was basically told If I couldn't do full time I had to leave as they had no part time contracts
I believe things have changed since last worked there but id never recommend this company
Fun Atmosphere
Lead Sales Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CA12 December 2016
Benefit Cosmetics is a great place to start your Esthetics career. It is very retail driven so make sure that you are comfortable with sales because that is more important than providing waxing services! Fun place to work but you work a lot and the management isn't very successful..
Pros
Walk in clientele
Cons
In the middle of a department store, no privacy for clients!
Upbeat environment with a great pay. Working as a cosmetologist be prepared to have no life outside of work. Long work hours.
Lead Sales Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Montclair, CA4 November 2016
The company has a fun and bright feel. The pay and gratis is a huge plus. The hours can be long for full time or lead positions. Management can make the work experience either amazing or a bit stressful. But the company has a great formula for success.
Pros
High pay, gratis, fun company
Cons
Management, long hours, stressful
Not the best
Arch Expert (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA29 December 2016
Made a mistake leaving an old job. Was told of full time hours. Hours are constantly being cut. No advancement. I applied for a management position with all my many years of managing and supervising, I wasn't good enough.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Pay and hourly cuts
Fun customer service, travel and product knowlage
Freelance Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA15 March 2017
This was a fun experience which I had the opprotunity to freelance in various places in the greater Seattle area where Benefit Cosmetics were sold. I had a sales goal at each location which was fun to challange. I met alot of people and got to travel around the city. Some sales goals were difficult to make due to lack of customers. That was the primary reason I was directed to a location was to boost sales persay or take part in a trade show.
Pros
Traveling and meeting people/product knowlage
Cons
The job security was poor
Quite, Busy, Stressfull, Harsh, Competative
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester15 January 2017
No time for a life outside of work.
Rude management.
Pressure to sell sell sell and hit targets.
Long Hours.
You basically answer to everyone you work with.
currently
brow expert (Current Employee) –  UK24 November 2016
A typical day at work is usually quite. I've learnt in my current job I have, that traffic stopping doesn't work if nobody visits the store. Unfortunately I have no say in how we market and advertise ourselves and management are happy to continue,
There is a lot of management with strong personal friendship/relationship with colleague's on shop floor which is very off putting and not a great environment to work in I'm afraid.
The best part of the job is making a customers day, something brought or not! I love it
And the hardest is standing around waiting for customers and having an unprofessional manager.. its not great.
Always fun & flexible
Freelance Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL14 November 2016
I love working for the company as a freelance artist, it gives me the flexibility to balance home and work life without taking up to much time from the other. As a freelance you don't get mich benefits but pay is good, and it is fun!
Free Make-up
Aesthetician (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZ14 November 2016
No work life balance, unprofessional co-workers. Not a very healthy environment, to they ask a lot from you even if your producing. Free make-up is the best part.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No work life balance
Fun at the beginning then you get taken advantage of
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom5 March 2017
Management made you feel victimised and forced into doing things that weren't in your contract. If you work on a Sunday you had to do two random hours on your day off.
Pros
Free Makeup, two 45 minute breaks
Cons
Traffic stopping people who don't want to talk to you, All about sales, high targets and made to feel awful if you don't meet these targets
Pros and cons
Aesthetician (Former Employee) –  New York, NY27 April 2016
While the general idea of benefit is to promote a "girlfriend" experience it is often a Mean Girls environment with obvious favoritism and often encourages a competitive vs team atmosphere.
Employees in equal positions are not all held accountable the same way, tips are not always paid in a timely manner and advancement is difficult.
However the base pay and product commission is Standard and the gratis program allows you to try the products which do what they say they will and are affordable to most customers.
Pros
Fair pay
Cons
No work/life balance, unprofessional employees, favortism
fun but hard management
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset19 January 2017
The makeup side of the job and interacting with the customers is the best part of the job, however the management and the way the company treat you in general is bad. They are ungrateful if you go above and beyond, the targets set are sometimes very unreasonable considering I am an extremely hard worker and love to achieve my targets
Pros
Sometimes free makeup not very often though
Cons
Management are awful
Productive & fun
Aesthetician/ Brow Expert (Current Employee) –  Wellington, FL3 January 2017
Fun & Upbeat cosmetics company to work for... would've prefer Full time vs Part time. To qualify for all the perks in health benefits paid vacations & Holidays. As a part timer it isn't as beneficial to work every weekend Friday-Monday and not get full benefits.
Pros
1 hour break & gratis twice a year! Bday gift card
Cons
Part time, daily Paper work
Got out of there quick
Brow Arch Expert (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA25 January 2017
Was really unhappy with uppermanagement. Their stress trickled down to everyone and it was very obvious.

The fact that they don't allow credit card tips affects possible income quite a bit.
Pros
Free make up
Cons
Sales goals are hard to meet in macys stores which are failing.
productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire6 February 2017
Working for Benefit Cosmetics was a fun way of working, everyone who you work with are so bubbly and friendly. Good team work is there, everyone is so passionate about the job and thats what then motivates you in everyday life and makes you feel good about yourself. All the Benefit team are so welcoming and polite, never will you ever feel left out you will be apart of the team no matter what and also if i was a customer i love the fact that Benefit sales assistants have time for the customers and let them take a seat and try different products on. I would 100% someone to work for Benefit Cosmetics.
Great opportunity
Retail Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO20 March 2017
This was the company that got me to learn what I was capable of doing. I was able to learn how manage, train, educate, work with management, travel, and to be a great regional manager. It showed me what I loved to do.
Sales & promotions
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire17 January 2017
A great starting point to gain experience in sales & dealing with the general public
The hardest part was that you are managed by both benefit & boots ... also a very pushy sales
Pros
Discount on make up £ 2% commision
Cons
Long hours - late nights & weekends Bank Holidays
poor management
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom17 February 2017
traffic stopping constantly
no way to progress
only care about average sale , unit sales not about their staff
if your higher up in the company its great get treated fab if your not you get treated not as great
Pros
allocation
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Benefit Cosmetics. Our community is ready to answer.

75%