BENEFIT COSMETICS

BENEFIT COSMETICS Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Intense and pressurised work environment, highly target based.
Full-time make-up artist (Current Employee), Cheltenham, ENGJune 17, 2014
Pros: recieved knowledge of new products and learnt how the cosmetic industry works.
Cons: the role itself didnt entail what i originally expected and signed a contract for.
A typical day working for Benefit cosmetics under House of Fraser consisted of a lot of pressure and high expectations from the company in regards to hitting targets and selling.

I learnt that retail is often looked at as one of the simplest or easiest forms of work, however that entirely depends on what company you are under, especially when working for a cosmetic company.
I learned a lot while working for Benefit, such as using my initiative to bring work to me when the store was quiet, always ensuring i kept busy and motivated. I was able to learn how to focus on admin tasks such as conference calls and paperwork, realising how important it was improving figures and exceeding full potential as a team and an individual.

My views on behalf of Benefits management depended on the individual manager. For instance i worked for a few area managers during my time at Benefit, all of which each had pros and cons. However benefits general outlook as a company when it comes to approaching customers and selling was very particular and at times put a lot of strain and stress on their staff members in an unprofessional way during trainings and general store interaction.
I do not look at this entirely as a negative. It helped me to reach my full potential knowing i could handle pressure and worked extremely hard and efficiently when under it.

My co-workers was a team of 2, one manager and one part timer. However the roles that my manager was supposed to complete and ensure was all correct was often handed to me, which was recognised by higher management just unfortunately nothing got – more... sorted. Leaving me to do all the duties such as paperwork, conference calls, training of our new staff, ordering new stock, interacting with people higher up in the business via e-mails and faxing and generally left to run the counter a lot of the time. Again i do not look at this as a negative as i have developed and furthered skills i had already touched upon in previous roles. It also made me realise what career path i'd really like to go down, involving all of the above.

Overall it was an experience working for this company and i value what i have learnt and how its pushed me to my full potential. I can happily say i was motivated and loyal to the brand just unfortunately it got recognised a little too late. – less
Lovely place to work
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee), EnglandAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Rate of pay, lots of shifts/hours, happy positive work place.
Cons: Standing for long hours.
I worked for benefit when I was 17 over the Christmas period I can say it was the best first job I ever had!

Typical day on the job would consist of restocking the counter, reporting low stock levels to counter manager, cleaning and keeping the counter hygienic and presentable, applying testers to customers, traffic stopping, talking and recommending products to suit customers needs. I learnt how to provide exceptional levels of customer service and excellent sales techniques. Management are brilliant always happy to help no matter what. My work colleagues were lovely so easy to get along with. Hardest part of the job is probably standing on my feet all day ( you're not allowed to sit down )
two weeks in my ankles were swollen and sore, so getting comfortable shoes with ankle support is vital. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting lots of people and solving their beauty mishaps a lot of kind customers who are very trust worthy of putting their looks into your hands. I was also very pleasantly surprised at the rate of pay which was nearly 9 pound an hour. Another bonus was that they required no beauty qualifications from me as this was a sales role. I can say that overall I thoroughly enjoyed working for Benefit! If you love dolling yourself up every day and doing customer s makeup this is definitely for you!
Fun work environment with free make-up
Beauty Specialist and Freelance Make-Up Aristist (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 20, 2015
Pros: free makeup, fun environment
Cons: not enough steady hours
I go to different Sephora's and Macy's in the Philadelphia, Jersey and Delaware county area to help promote and sell Benefit Cosmetics products. I usually work 5-6 hours on the weekends anywhere from once to 8 times a month, depending on new products and event schedules.

I have learned a great deal about sales, make-up application, and what is in a certain product and how that chemical makeup effects the consumer. In learning about Benefit products, I have also learned a great deal about other competitive products and how Benefit may or may not differ.

The hardest part of my job has been learning how to sell to different regions and working with the different management teams outside of Benefit, i.e. Sephora and Macy's management teams. Every store has a different vibe and also sells different Benefit products.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to work for a company that has wonderful products with fun and flirty packaging and gimmicks, and also uses honest pricing. Benefit is all about making women beautiful and having fun while doing so. My management and coworkers all have similar mentalities, which makes the work experience very positive.
Fun, Rewarding and Productive workplace
Beauty Artist (Former Employee), Glasgow, SCTJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: commission, great people, sociable job
Cons: not enough hours, temporary work
I was so pleased that I was asked to work with Benefit Cosmetics, as I love Makeup and changing someone's look. I feel its very rewarding when showing someone how to emphasize and compliment their features. There was a few responsibilites to along with this role during working hours I would have to go traffic stop potential customers to get them to come look at Benefit's new or existing products, get them on the 'Celeb File' which is the name given to our records of new and existing customers, this was a way of building rapport with Benefit customers, in order to give them the best customer service experience, I found this a pretty easy task as I am a confident person and find it easy to go up and talk to people. other tasks involved; Cleaning down shelves and the counter, restocking the shelves, cleaning makeup brushes and phoning the appointments. This role has given me experience of target based sales, makeup training, customer service and working on a cash register. I also recieved health and safety training as I was an employee of boots and I recieved training in the appropriate action to take if there is a fire. I found this job very rewarding and very enjoyable
Fun and productive.
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee), LakesideJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: free make up allocation, working close to home.
Cons: long hours at unsociable times.
My job role with Benefit Cosmetics was very similar to my role within Giorgio Armani.

I was 16 when I first started working for Benefit so everything was very new to me. It opened up a lot of doors for me as Benefit is a very hard working and customer driven company.

I had the same duties at benefit as I do with Armani just a lot less responsibility. I enjoyed coming in to work every day as it was always different. I was extremely lucky to have co-workers that were a bundle of joy to work with and very hard working like myself, my counter was always smoothly run with a lot of team work.

The hardest part of Benefit I would say would only be hitting a target on a very quiet evening, but then that's when my initiative would come in to things where I would traffic stop to bring more customers on to counter.

My most enjoyable part of the job was manning the switchboard for counter, dealing with different requests. Having a new challenge every day and hitting those high targets.

I left Benefit so that I could gain more experience within this industry and have a lot more responsibility within my next role as I love being busy and having new challenges.
Fun and target based
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee), Telford- House Of FraserJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: commision
Cons: was a temporary job
Benefit Cosmetics is situated in House Of Fraser Beauty Department. I worked full time here, which I really enjoyed. As there was no Account Manager when I started this job, I did the paper work to send off to my Area Manager.
As I worked for Benefit Cosmetics, I was employed by House Of Fraser. I had many roles in this job such as -
* Traffic Stopping
*Meeting Targets
*Sales
*Till Work
*Customer Service
*Make Overs
*Booking appointments
*Answering The Telephone
*Organising and Throwing Counter Parties.

I learnt alot about the products on my counter such as the ingrediants, the benefits of them ect.
Two days a week there was another 'Benebabe' working on the counter with me, to attract more customers we organised a counter party, where we rang customers to come in have a make over, try a new look get some new tips and tricks, and to sell our products, therefore reaching our targets!

The hardest part of the job was the Traffic Stopping, although it was still enjoyable, meeting new people and seeing them leave happy. The most enjoyable part of the job was doing make overs on customers, getting to know them, teaching them new techniques and having a laugh with them.
Fun job, easy to get burned out though
FREELANCING BROW BAR AESTHETICIAN, BEAUTY ADVISOR (Former Employee), Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 5, 2013
Pros: fun, fast paced, artisticly stimulating and really hones skills
Cons: drama potentials, catty girls
part of the way through my employment with Benefit the counter I worked for changed Business Managers; from a very intimidating yet effective woman who brought that Brow Bar to #1 in the country. To a woman no one took seriously and it was hard to believe she was "the boss" who then drove that counters numbers to the ground (to my understanding I was gone by that point).
There are always going to be catty girls and silly little dramas as egos clash with any job like this; but generally I got along with both the make up team and estheticians (I worked both sides) and my time spent there was pleasent enough.
Advancement can be very hard... or very easy depending on the type of women you are dealing with, for me I don't play the kiss butt games, I like my work to show for itself. So naturally in an (almost) all woman based career it took me a few months extra to get where I wanted to be (personally) but I can honestly say that while I was there it was a fun team and we were pretty drama free (surprisingly).
Avoid the Southpark Location
Aesthetician (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCNovember 4, 2014
Pros: free products
Cons: hours, no opportunity, poor communication, lackadaisical managers, catty women
I worked for Benefit for one year and it was a horrifying experience. As a USAF veteran I didn't know what PTSD was until after I quit. With no formal training as an Aesthetician at the counter I was responsible for making service, product sales, rebooking and conversion goals. I was able to make some goals but not all as some were very ambitious. Each service was supposed to be about 20 minutes -intake, sale, consult, sale, wax/tweeze, sale, rebook and pass them to BAs to make more sales.

The retail manager was money hungry and never paid positive feedback unless her boss (regional manager) made her. After being prescribed anxiety medication from the scandal of Benefit I got a final warning from corporate when I threatened to hire an employment attorney. Needless to say that the turnover is alarmingly high. Six employees in a year and a half... and what company hides the human resources department contact information? Seriously, don't work for Benefit unless you are a robot or hard up for a job.
Enjoyable company to work for with great morals.
Business Manager (Current Employee), London, ENGJune 1, 2015
Pros: Allocation of prodcts
Cons: Working most weekends and late nights.
I am responsible for the Benefit business within our Flagship store on Oxford Street. As the Benefit Business Manager I have overall responsibility for the achievement of all Benefit’s objectives, with the key objective to always maximise on all sales opportunities by providing the best customer service and shopping experience possible.

I have worked for Benefit for over 2 and a half years. I have been placed in several different retailers including House of Fraser, Morleys and currently I am in Boots. My contract is with Boots and I follow the guidelines from Benefit. This can prove difficult sometimes when I flag up issues about my team i.e lateness', absences and this is not always actioned. I want to be as productive as possible and feel I get held back on some things because of this.

I enjoy creating a fun and enjoyable atmosphere for my team to work in. I like to coach and develop everyone in a productive way so they can get the most out of their trainings.
fun, bubbly and fantastic place to work!
Beauty advisor (Former Employee), Benefit cosmetics, fenwick CanterburyJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: fanctastic training, lots of products to try and keep, super friendly people and always a fun companie to be with.
Cons: there were no cons!
A normal day at work would consist of cleaning the counter, making sure all testers were clean and visible for customers, traffic stopping, making sure the counter always looked busy as it draws more people in and any paper work that needed doing.

I learned all about the products, company history, application of the products, how to link sell, how to traffic stop and how to make the customer feel welcome.

On the counter there was myself, a part time girl and my manager. we all got on fantastically and work well as a team always willing to help one another.

The hardest part of my job was when I first started and getting the confidence to traffic stop people.

I don’t have a most enjoyable part of my job as I loved every bit, it wouldn’t have been the same without my team members they were there to help every step of the way.
Benefit Cosmetics
Assistant Account Manager (Former Employee), Cork, IrelandMarch 6, 2015
• Persuade others through influence and teamwork as opposed to command and control. Lead by example.
• Track DBR, meet monthly targets. Communicate to staff what are the expectations of them and of Counter target.
• Appropriately staff and manage for product sales and services. Keep staff morale high at all times. Deal with any situations which may occur effectively and efficiently.
• Promote cross selling between services and products, make sure every customer receives the ‘Benefit Experience’.
• Maintain excellent cash control.
• Protect customers’ personal data.
• In partnership with Brow Experts, maintain correct procedures with board regulations.
• Strong time management.
• Maintain the safety and security of all employees.
• Maintain the appearance and cleanliness of the Beauty Bar and Brow Service Pods.
• Always be approachable and give corrective criticism.

Always must keep busy. Targets are everything.

-Make Up Artist
-Brow Expert
productive and fun workplace and team
Assistant Account Manager - & Pro Make Up Artist (Current Employee), London, ENGNovember 25, 2013
Pros: commission plus high pay
Cons: long hours
My job role consisted of me managing a team of 8 - 10 staff on a leading cosmetic brand counter,
I am currently training to be an account manager. my daily routine include Traffic Stopping, sales, link selling, makeup application as the head makeup artist on this account, hygiene - high level of personal grooming, accounts paperwork that I attend to daily, conference calls, dealing with the area manger and regional manager, hitting high level targets, high level of customer service as i enjoy listening and interacting with customers and catering to their pacific needs and making recommendations to suit them best, i am also specialized in working with all skin types and ages, as the number two account manager I also help train staff and managers for other counters as well as mine.
enjoyable part of my job was doing what i love.
Fast paced, and a very productive work environment.
Esthetician (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 4, 2015
Working at Benefit Cosmetics was a great experience. Everybody had the same mindset - all team players and willing to work and help each other out. We definitely did help each other to advance our performance at work.

Benefit Cosmetics was a very fast paced environment, but it helped me to be very quick and efficient at my job with ease. Being at work was fun everyday - I felt like I didn't even have to try at customer service, because my job was so enjoyable and I was genuinely happy to be there with my coworkers, and also to assist every and all kinds of clients.

The most enjoyable part of my job was that I was able to connect with clients, and help them find exactly what they were looking for. Introducing them to new products that would also further benefit their make-up routine was also enjoyable, especially after seeing how happy they were with their new look!
terrible
Full time Sales assistant/Makeup Artist (Former Employee), loughtonDecember 18, 2014
Pros: no pros
My job would be used against me if I wasn't able to attend an unplanned event or work late or instead of another colleague.
My far travel was never considered in their last minute plans to ask me to stay late.
rule changes every single week.
minimum 12 products of makeup have to be on your face
they say skirt has to be knee high but was shamefully told off in front of a shop full of customers that it wasn't the correct length and had to be under my knees but if I had one on that basically showed by bum it would be okay if I had tights on.
They would tell you how to wear your hair. one day your allowed acrylic nails the next day you aren't and rule changes over 24hrs if you was still wearing then you had to immediately have them removed.
Pay was terrible
Manager was awful
Hated my life while at benefit
Fun and great counter to work at!
BEAUTY ADVISOR (Current Employee), Lake Grove, NY (Macy's Smithaven)March 14, 2013
Benefit was probably one of the best experiences I've had, job-wise, in a while. I have experience in retail but cosmetics retail is so much different and I've learned so much about the business through this job. The products are amazing and I've used them for years and I was thrilled when I got the chance to sell them and share their greatness with others. The girls I work with are amazing and we all have so much fun doing what we love together whether it's in the everyday work setting or during special events. I'd say the only downside and the hardest part about this job is working within Macy's. The company stresses numbers and getting credits more than anything and it's a lot of pressure but otherwise the job is fantastic.
Outgoing and fun work atmosphere!
Esthetician (Current Employee), Mooresville, NCDecember 11, 2014
Pros: continued support and on-going training for employees
Cons: not enough money to live off of
My typical day at work involves greeting customers and trying to convert them into getting a service done as well as making sales within the cosmetic line I represent, Benefit. I've learned how to gain clientele and to keep my clients coming back. The management is great, my GM and all other managers are wonderful. As for my co-workers, they're incredibly supportive and always willing to help. The hardest part of my job as an arch expert is making sure I traffic stop and rebook my clients. What I do enjoy most about my job is catering to my clients and making sure they feel confident and beautiful after they've had a service.
Fun workplace in a creative role!
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee), Bury, ENGApril 21, 2015
Pros: Benefit really look after you, ie training, allocation, constant communication.
Sold and applied make up to a range of customers while constantly promoting the fun ethos of the brand. Creatively developed make up skills for different events and needs whilst gaining knowledge in how to cash up and work in a large store competing against other counters. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the customer enjoy the service I was providing and enjoying her time on counter! My typical day usually includes prepping the counter making sure the area and my tools are clean before checking the figures and targets so Im then prepared to traffic stop to sell and convert customers!
Fun environment, nice events, good quality products
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), Queens, NYMay 29, 2012
Pros: cute events, training's, and gratis
Cons: no advancements, or growth in the company
A typical day at work consisted of traffic stopping customers and and brow mapping them with our 4 fake its and one fix its, Learned how to pull a customer and make a sale and double it by sitting the customer down and gaining their confidence. The management sometimes was not stable, when we did have consistency in made a huge difference. The hardest part of the job was maybe trying to make sales when it was so slow. The most enjoyable part of the job was the clients that I got to build relationships with and stay in touch with. Also the cute events and costumes we got to wear during the events
Exciting and dynamic work environment
Project Manager (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 30, 2012
I have been very fortunate in my career to work with so many smart and talented individuals such as Benefit Cosmetics.

I am part of the New Product Planning Team which interacts with all levels of the company and all departments where I launch 40+ projects per year. Each project is complex with multiple SKUS and can take 6 months to a year and a half to complete.

All of my experience in Supply Chain Manufacturing is utilized to bring Benefit Cosmetics to the world! It's a lively, dynamic work environment where I can make a difference and positively impact the company and help Benefit reach it's 1 Billion Dollar goal.
a normal day
Esthetician and Manager (Former Employee), miami flMay 4, 2014
Pros: great boss, one hour lunch, paid vacation, free makeup, great trainings, free dinners and gifts
Cons: no team work, not enough boss visits, having to do everything on my own .
i get to my spot around 10:30 am i clean and organize all my products and station, i make sure everything is ready and prepared for when my client arrives for her service . i service my clients that walk in or have an appointment , then around 2:00 i have lunch till 3:00 i come back and continue to do services and pull clients in . then around 7 i start cleaning and picking up . i start adding my numbers and doing my sales for the day , i leave my booth and products clean and leave by 7:30 .
Employees