Bench Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
nice place
Shift Leader (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 5, 2016
get workers, pay not so great but overall get people to work with. Get's really boring and nothing to do and yeah that is it
not a good place to work
Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2016
All I can say is get things in writing. You will be promised things and they will never come thru. This may be a good place for a couple months but good luck trying to stick it thru with this company.
Productive Workplace
Part-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee), Kanata, ONFebruary 28, 2016
During a shift I am always kept busy and doing something. The management staff and other staff are all very pleasant people to work with.
Good for the retail experience, but that's about it
Sales Ambassador (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 22, 2016
Pros: Decent discount, free outfit to start, great learning experience, pizza lunch on holidays, great working environment
Cons: Few hours, little incentive to make high sales goals, biased and annoying management.
Initially, I thought working here was great and had an optimistic outlook on how my time here would be. They offer a free outfit of your choice with every new hire and a 40% discount for part time employees. However, that caps off at 500 dollars quarterly for part time employees, which is four times a year. Yet they somehow expect you to keep up with new product coming in and wear what they want you to. If you don't look the part and the district manager happens to be in the store, expect to be sent home for the day.
Don't even get me started on how little hours you'll get if you're not great at making sales and pushing people to buy their overpriced, low quality clothes. There are great incentives for people who are aggressive and talkative and are sneaky about stealing their coworkers sales. Feel free to badger the managers all you like for more hours, they only go by picking favorites and awarding hours based on personal favor.
Be prepared to make up excuses on what you'll do next time if they find you're not making your weekly goals. Slow day and nobody's coming in? Too bad. You'd better have a game plan on how you'll do better next time. Some days the only way to possibly make a sale on slow days is if you were physically allowed to drag people into the store. Doesn't matter if nobody's coming in, they'll still call it a bad sales day.
The managers only get the real benefits with a guaranteed 40 hours a week and are reprimanded if they're to be found working less than that. They're given big bonuses for each week that their stores are meeting their goals, where as part – more... time employees are given a commission of maybe 1.3 percent if they sell over goal, and that's only if. The hourly wage is more worth it than that. Good luck making your goal with managers striving and pushing you out of the way to make their own higher, impossible sales goals.
Gossip is a BIG thing in this company. Managers will talk bad about you behind your back and encourage you to your face until they can make up their mind if they like you or not. The district manager is a totalitarian douche who makes it his number one priority to push people around until he "gets it in their heads" that they need to do what he says. He cuts a lot of deals with people for free items and sometimes even a clothing allowance if they'll do more than necessary but (obviously) not get paid for it. Also, don't expect to have any upward mobility from the bottom level unless you are good at sucking up and getting your name up there on the top sales list. There's no yearly performance reviews or any opportunity to make any more money than the base wage you were initially offered. They don't care what kind of person you are, as long as you're making them money and the way they want you to.
However, if you're looking for a decent job to get started with retail clothing experience, this is a good place to start. You'll learn a lot about sales techniques and growing as a salesperson if you ask a lot of questions and stay on top of your game when it comes to where you're at with your weekly goals. If you strive to be the best and don't mind shoving other people out of the way to make a sale, you'll do well here. Bonus points if you can stay on top of their ridiculous contests and promotions and can act excited about the product you'll be refolding over and over. – less
Love my coworker
Keyholder (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Everyone is amazing to work with, it's easy going while also busy. You're constantly having to do something which makes the day go by fast!
Manager is great to work with, commission is based on whether or not you hit your sales goals, UPT, and ADS.
Nice work environment.
great starter job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 7, 2016
My typical day at work started by opening the store, setting up the promotions that were running, organizing staff and breaks. i also opened the tills and brought out new inventory. My coworkers were the best part of my job and really helped keep a hard working and fun atmosphere. the hardest part of my job would have had to be facing difficult customers but i always managed to solve the problems.
I hated it
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 3, 2015
Too much pressure to sell, incompetent employees, and very little hours. I hate that your hours are supposedly based on sales, but when I exceeded my sales goals, I still only got 8 hours a week.
great place
full time (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2015
fun atmosphere. Lots of room to grow. ongoing training and evelopment. awesome management at store level, talking to anyone at head office is a head ache though. Always busy, lots of perks
fun workplace , great brand@
Manager (Current Employee), B.CJune 29, 2015
Pros: Great staff members to work with, when you create a great team that respects you
Cons: Average wages, bad commission for part time ambassadors.
The company can be fun to work for and a typical day is customer service driven with a lot of product knowledge given to back up the product.
Personal goals have become a "survival of the fittest" recently, with write up letters given to those not making a certain percentage for the month and can lead to termination.
Very budget conscious lately, so you are working with the bare minimum staff limit.
Head office says they have an open line for work complaints or for anything that is private. They listen but than never actually investigate into serious matters. If there are more than two complaints that are serious from different staff members, surely something should be done. It never is. I think that is very unprofessional.
In between job kind of job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 19, 2015
Pros: Break times were okay
Cons: Too many
I didn't enjoy the sales goals and the commission. They had way too many high expectations, which would lead to never achieving your commission. The people were okay, but the management was too political,
not a good place
Sale Associate (Former Employee), Richmond, BCJune 18, 2015
Pros: friendly DM, friendly part-timers
Management is the worst! They will push you when its over the line. Always hire pretty Asian girls and only girls. lots of ideas for the store and the management does not think about it
Productive and fun environment
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 9, 2015
Pros: Discounts
Cons: Customers being stolen
My overall experience in the retail company was very beneficial. I want to continue working on my customer service skills due to the fact that my co-workers and I have the same goals.
short lived
Retail Sales (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONOctober 7, 2014
Pros: work with friends
Cons: out of town
constantly on your feet, dealing with customers, fun co-workers
Bad summary
Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 30, 2014
Management was superficial and became upset when I had tried researching on the background of the company.
Would yell at me in front of customers. Asked personal questions and provided personal information about his own self.
** Had made disrespectful made crude remarks to me and my older brother, whom he only met once **
** Had gotten district manager to bully me and threatened to fire me **
I had quit a week after the meeting with the district manager. Clothes are over priced and the manager like to call security and make lie about customers stealing from the store.
Bench
Key Holder (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 18, 2014
Fun place to work with amazing sales staff, however management is not very organized and picks favourites.
Fun place to work but high turnover
CASHIER (Current Employee), toronto, onJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: little camaraderie with coworkers
The store and company is a great place to work but don't expect to get to really know your co-workers well. People are often switched around between the different stores and while this often is for a better position it can be unsettling to know that everyone you currently work with won't be there in 4 months.
Great place to learn.,
Sales assosiate wityh key holder duties (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: learning, co-workers, meeting targets and goals
Cons: hours getting cut
I loved working at bench, I learned a tremendous amount and loved all my co workers. ALthough when new management took over it was unfortunate my hours got cut because of the NEW ASM and new Managewr needing 40 hours per week although the ASM fighted heavily for me to stay. I learned a lot about customer service, selling, and inventory.
Productive and Competitive
Keyholder and Assistant Management (Former Employee), Thornhill ,OntarioApril 23, 2013
Pros: contests, paid lunches from me
Cons: contests were bias
We were paid a commission that helped to establish a competitive environment, this also made for a drama filled situation. It was my job to help make people the best they could be and to drive in business
Great team environment, awesome management and great growth opportunity.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), TorontoNovember 1, 2012
-every day is different and never boring
-great management team, that work well together
-some of the best sales associates, provide great customer service
-fun & positive atmosphere
high energy, fast pace store
Sales Associate (Former Employee), yorkdale mallSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: two articles of clothing to start
Cons: not enough hours
replenish stock,count tils, relenish stock, sell sell sell
management did teach alot to do with loss prevention, sales targets, selling techniques. co-workers were good in the beginning because we were all extremely competitive. Hardest part of the job was receiving hours, the most enjoyable part was hitting sales targets as well as making customers happy.