Bench Employee Reviews

Productive place to be
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2017
was fun and loved the staff but willing for a change, too much turn over but was an awesome fun little place to work. Always something to do and was a very fast paced place to be.
Pros
discount, allowance, benefits
Cons
hours, schedule.
Decent place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON18 January 2017
The people are really nice and the perks are pretty good. The style and amount of tasks can be overwhelming though and certain policies can have customers getting really cranky.
I was sad to leave, and hope to return.
Data Processor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 December 2016
Bench was a fantastic place to work. The only thing that pushed me to leave was ultimately a low salary.

I loved the culture, the corporate enablement and mental health awareness, there are so many perks about Bench. You have flexibility to work from anywhere in the world, and the medical package is great.

I was hoping to move into one of the other departments but had to take on another job to make finances. It become too many hours and was a struggle to keep both. I chose the more profitable option, which I am sad to have done. If an opening in the department I was gunning for opens up, I will apply.
Pros
Communal Food, Open work space, forward thinking, LGBTQ friendly, dog friendly, great nerdy office culture...
Cons
low salaries, not a lot of advancement due to the structure of the company.
Excitating yet challenging job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 December 2016
The job challenges you as not ever customer is the same. Each individual customer prefer a certain way to be approached and assisted. The most enjoyable time was having breaks with everyone walking by to grab an item as they would walk by they would be smelling the delicious aromas of the different food that everyone made.
Pros
Get to meet a lot of people
Cons
small store for the amount of merchandise we presented
Great environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada15 November 2016
Great environment to work in. Staff were fun and competitive, without needing to worry about aggressive sales-people. Advancing was difficult, as HO was strict about promotions or raises
Pros
allowance for management, contest to win free clothes
Cons
pay
Garbage
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2016
managment well really only one person in management is HORRIBLE. Making up excuses and blaming others and thinks they are better than everyone else, not understanding of personal matters that NEED to be attended to. Biggest problem getting shift covered or switched, hangers are horrible everything just falls off and then associates get blamed for it. Just very messy environment and also a lot of gossip talk. Don't work here its not worth it they say their understanding their not, they promise you things... they won't deliver
Pros
Nothing didnt even get my free outfit
Cons
Fun, great clothes, and good customers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON25 October 2016
I really enjoy the people I work with at Bench. My coworkers and customers are amazing people, and I really like to save them money. Which was great because in Windsor I could help them to save. Overall a great place to work.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Hours
Over worked
Key holder (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 October 2016
Expected way too much of employees, very little room for advancement, promises of promotions to keep you from leaving company.
Pros
Meeting awesome customers
Cons
Too much stress for a retail job.
Fun and dynamic environment
Sales Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON1 October 2016
I learned a lot about working as part of a team, delegating, prioritizing and managing tasks. I enjoyed the work environment, and meeting new people every time I was on the floor.
Hip fashion sense with a touch of sophistication.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 September 2016
Bench. What a place to work!
The environment is a wonderful place to feel involved and apart of the team right off the bat. The fashion is ahead of its time, creating new trends and hip styles for every season still with a touch of sophistication. Every customer should feel warm and welcomed when entering Bench with the positive staff members and all around product knowledge, no one should ever leave disappointed. The management was outstanding, while district was a blast to have around. New stock, new product knowledge, new contest, management always had a way to motivate us to be our very best and constantly shoot for the stars.
Pros
Positive coworkers
Cons
Low traffic
Great place to work and learn to grow from
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2016
Able to gain a lot of experience in the customer service field, will learn to juggle several tasks at once. Was able to meet others who shared the same drive and want to help others. If you want to gain sales and customer experience then this is the job.
Good place to work.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2016
The management at Bench southgate is amazing, they care about their staff and their customers.

They listen to everything they have to say, they are very genuine.

Hardest part of the job would be cleaning after messy customers.

Most enjoyable part of the job the free food.
Pros
Free food
Cons
cleaning up after messy customers
nice place
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 May 2016
get workers, pay not so great but overall get people to work with. Get's really boring and nothing to do and yeah that is it
not a good place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2016
All I can say is get things in writing. You will be promised things and they will never come thru. This may be a good place for a couple months but good luck trying to stick it thru with this company.
Productive Workplace
Part-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON28 February 2016
During a shift I am always kept busy and doing something. The management staff and other staff are all very pleasant people to work with.
Good for the retail experience, but that's about it
Sales Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 February 2016
Initially, I thought working here was great and had an optimistic outlook on how my time here would be. They offer a free outfit of your choice with every new hire and a 40% discount for part time employees. However, that caps off at 500 dollars quarterly for part time employees, which is four times a year. Yet they somehow expect you to keep up with new product coming in and wear what they want you to. If you don't look the part and the district manager happens to be in the store, expect to be sent home for the day.
Don't even get me started on how little hours you'll get if you're not great at making sales and pushing people to buy their overpriced, low quality clothes. There are great incentives for people who are aggressive and talkative and are sneaky about stealing their coworkers sales. Feel free to badger the managers all you like for more hours, they only go by picking favorites and awarding hours based on personal favor.
Be prepared to make up excuses on what you'll do next time if they find you're not making your weekly goals. Slow day and nobody's coming in? Too bad. You'd better have a game plan on how you'll do better next time. Some days the only way to possibly make a sale on slow days is if you were physically allowed to drag people into the store. Doesn't matter if nobody's coming in, they'll still call it a bad sales day.
The managers only get the real benefits with a guaranteed 40 hours a week and are reprimanded if they're to be found working less than that. They're given big bonuses for each week that their stores are meeting their goals, where as part
  more... time employees are given a commission of maybe 1.3 percent if they sell over goal, and that's only if. The hourly wage is more worth it than that. Good luck making your goal with managers striving and pushing you out of the way to make their own higher, impossible sales goals.
Gossip is a BIG thing in this company. Managers will talk bad about you behind your back and encourage you to your face until they can make up their mind if they like you or not. The district manager is a totalitarian douche who makes it his number one priority to push people around until he "gets it in their heads" that they need to do what he says. He cuts a lot of deals with people for free items and sometimes even a clothing allowance if they'll do more than necessary but (obviously) not get paid for it. Also, don't expect to have any upward mobility from the bottom level unless you are good at sucking up and getting your name up there on the top sales list. There's no yearly performance reviews or any opportunity to make any more money than the base wage you were initially offered. They don't care what kind of person you are, as long as you're making them money and the way they want you to.
However, if you're looking for a decent job to get started with retail clothing experience, this is a good place to start. You'll learn a lot about sales techniques and growing as a salesperson if you ask a lot of questions and stay on top of your game when it comes to where you're at with your weekly goals. If you strive to be the best and don't mind shoving other people out of the way to make a sale, you'll do well here. Bonus points if you can stay on top of their ridiculous contests and promotions and can act excited about the product you'll be refolding over and over.
Pros
Decent discount, free outfit to start, great learning experience, pizza lunch on holidays, great working environment
Cons
Few hours, little incentive to make high sales goals, biased and annoying management.
Love my coworker
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 January 2016
Everyone is amazing to work with, it's easy going while also busy. You're constantly having to do something which makes the day go by fast!
Manager is great to work with, commission is based on whether or not you hit your sales goals, UPT, and ADS.
Nice work environment.
great starter job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 January 2016
My typical day at work started by opening the store, setting up the promotions that were running, organizing staff and breaks. i also opened the tills and brought out new inventory. My coworkers were the best part of my job and really helped keep a hard working and fun atmosphere. the hardest part of my job would have had to be facing difficult customers but i always managed to solve the problems.
I hated it
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 November 2015
Too much pressure to sell, incompetent employees, and very little hours. I hate that your hours are supposedly based on sales, but when I exceeded my sales goals, I still only got 8 hours a week.
great place
full time (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2015
fun atmosphere. Lots of room to grow. ongoing training and evelopment. awesome management at store level, talking to anyone at head office is a head ache though. Always busy, lots of perks

74%