BELL Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Leading company with lots of experience to gain from.
Bilingual CSR and Retail Support Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: great people, great benefits and pay, great incentives.
Cons: too many changes in the workplace at once. hard to communicate.
On a regular day, it was important to help customers and go above and beyond, while meeting the requirements within the workplace (i.e. average call handle time, average calls per hour, multiple monthly QA scores). As I was working in the head office, there were many managers and supervisors, and we had the ability to go visit different departments to see if they were busy or could handle cases for you to call customers back (which isn't typical at most of the other Virgin Mobile call centres). That being said, I was able to handle many different cases that would normally end up being sent off to another department (e.g. Technical support, Billing, and Solutions).
I learned to handle a lot of situations that I normally wouldn't deal with. I learned how to negotiate and retain customers. I also learned how to subtly up-sell, in a sense, when extending & renewing contracts and selling devices.

The people I worked with were a dynamic group of generally young and young-spirited people. It was very easy to get information and help from fellow coworkers and Team Leads, and I would also help others all the time.

There were quite a few management issues, and they became apparent once having been there for a few months. As Bell had recently bought Virgin Mobile, there were a lot of issues with past cases and old systems that didn't work properly. There were a lot of jobs that were being changed on a daily basis, for example, a lot of the training changed from in-person to computer training, and CSRs would often often misinterpret or not understand certain policies or promotions at – more... all.
Our HR team could no longer be contacted directly, and we'd have to call in to a stranger at a call centre to speak about our work place, hours, pay, etc.
Scheduling also became much harder, as they made everything computerized and we could no longer see which employees were working which shifts to facilitate trading shifts, and which also caused many errors in paycheques.
There were days when we'd be flooded with calls that we could not handle, because management would underestimate how many people were needed during certain hours.
Since leaving Virgin, most of the managers have been let go, and many CSRs.
It seems a lot of changes needed to be made, and they were being made too drastically and the call centre lost its stability.

The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the atmosphere. The employees were always cheery, we were all close friends. Everybody got along well. We all tried to help one another, and we all genuinely cared about keeping our customers happy. Even when we were extremely busy, or had extremely difficult situations, we would always make the best of every situation, and did our best and everyone on the floor would be more than willing to help. – less
Very Relaxed and Fun Office Environment
Outside Field Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Bell, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Pros: Monthly allowance for Transportation, Great office environment, Flexible work hours, Base Salary + Commission for Security
Cons: Corporate Politics, Sales Restrictions, Management, Difficult to Earn High Tier Commissions
Working at Bell was probably one of my best experiences as a field sales representative - the people there were very friendly and chill. The pay was ok, for example, minimum wage + monthly car allowance + commission. The way the commission was structured was definitely for the benefit of the company. It was tier based commission. I.E. IF you get this many activation in a week, you get this much commission - you can also stack commission from previous week sales to the following week if you were smart about it. Incentives were ok, too. Incentives happen every month but are very random. They always have incentives for holidays, and it's very lucrative but restrictive, too. Having a proper sales funnel was the most difficult part of the job. Some great things about working here is that you get a working iPhone 4, 4S, or 5c, you get branded clothing, and an ID badge to work in the field. The cafeteria at the head office was nice - pool table, FIBE TV lounges, Jitz (Foozball), Table Hockey, etc. A lot of nice looking ladies, too - another great benefit ^.^

Management, though, is all over the place - for my team, our manager was barely there. During my experience at Bell, I had 4 different managers for our team within 8 months, which is INSANE. There is so much red tape involving what we can or cannot do as a field sales rep - for example, we CANNOT post promotions or deals online about what Bell is providing atm. The politics and legal policies there is INSANE because Bell is a huge company after all (3rd most known company in Canada - 135 years in the making).

My co-workers – more... were awesome, fun to be around and to work with as well. Very intelligent individuals. I would also heed that avoid those co-workers who are negative and don't do their work - it can be infectious so avoid them at all costs. Door-to-Door sales is extremely difficult, and only for those who CHOOSE to be in it and willing to go through all the difficulties and obstacles of it.

I learned a lot about myself while I was working for Bell as a Field Sales Representative, for example, I noticed myself being too dependent on other people just to get work done. I literally had to force myself to separate from the group and work on my own for a month. But that was my own issue I had to deal with and I did. Emotionally, the job was difficult, but you get better and better as LONG as you're willing to learn and grow through the job. My biggest learning experience was that if you focus on the results you won't produce any, but if you are driven by results and focus on the process (enjoy selling, talking to people, building relationships) there is no limit to your potential in sales. – less
productive work
Network Architect / Business Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 12, 2013
As a Bell Technician :
I was working in a Bell Laboratory named Test Centre xDSL/Voice / VoIP /Escalation /Residential /Business as a technician and coach.
- Diagnosed technical and business related problems encountered by clients and proposed solutions with detailed actions
- Solving DSL internet troubles
- Gathered informations to understand customer’s issues
- Investigated and analyzed escalated problems to determine their cause
- Creating Processes with Visio Software
- Developed solutions to resolve escaladed problems encountered by irate customers
- Explained and educated customers on steps to follow to rectify problems
- Support the Field service Technicians on the road to troubleshoot any problem or outage.
- Supporting other technician when they have questions and provide training (Coaching)
- Creating Process to follow
- Testing the Quality of the DSL Services per area
- Find Anomalies on new projects
- Doing Trial Tests on new projects
- Detected various workloads tickets not capture by the system
- Informing all the department related of any outages
- In charge of any High Level Escalation
- Follow up with all stakeholders to resolve any troubles
- Delivering Training to student or any level technician of the department (175 employees)

As a Bell Network Architect:
I was working in the laboratory of Bell for the IPTV Television Department.

- Lab and Production automatisation (Macros Implementation)
- Set-Top-box Customization Environment with Microsoft Mediaroom
- Interactive Television (iTv)
- Prepared time lines and ensured quality control
- Identified areas of – more... continuous Improvement by using different Quality Control Techniques
- Developed problem solving guidelines and engaged in technical support (For teams of 100+ employees)
- Creating Performance Reports
- Creating Guide for marketing and operational departments
- Quality testing of future set-top-box before they are sold in the market
- Participate to daily conference the environment of the laboratory
- Analyzing the elements in the laboratory with SQL
- Monitoring all the systems and creating manuals (guide)

President & Manager 2009-2010
Institut JMC Inc. (Private school)
Trained people in nursing assistance, Secretariat Program, Hiring, Events and dance lessons.
I – less
Great working environment with meeting rooms where you can write on the tables, the campus also has a Gym and walking areas.
Graphic Design Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 4, 2012
Pros: lots of work space, cool security passes given out after 3 weeks
Cons: not having security pass for first 3 weeks
When you join the staff appoint you a 'buddy' who is a senior associate who works with you for 3 weeks and answers any questions, while assigning your first projects. They regularly check on you to ensure you are meeting deadlines.

We would start with an early group meeting, the designers would have a group critique, we went around the table and shared our ideas and offered suggestions.

It was highly collaborative and we were encouraged to interact with colleagues and often I was asked for help with Adobe software - key shortcuts in Photoshop, how to achieve a certain effect in Illustrator, how to make an interactive PDF.

One thing I learned: how to be a better team player by seeing the needs of the group over my own, always listening to others' suggestions and not being afraid to ask for help.

Another thing I learned: Understand design briefs and work under strict branding rules and take criticism from the senior director, who was known for being very blunt and honest.

The management was very personable and had an open door policy, and would have weekly dialogue meetings where the graphic designers would discuss a topic or learn a new skill, such as proper masking in Photoshop.

The hardest part of the job attending the occasional last minute meeting hosted by the senior director when a conflict arises in a department and he would call upon those persons and hold them accountable. Referred to as "the rain of fire".

Most enjoyable part of the job, being there from 8 am - 5... as late as 10 pm, when our boss would buy us dinner.

Interactive Workshops were held that covered – more... various topics in ethics, such as Conflict Resolution in the workplace. – less
Good benefits, stock options...but minimal on job training and high stress work environment
Client Representative (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 26, 2012
Pros: great benefits, stock options, opportunity for career advancement
Cons: unionized employees who are at time very lazy with upwards of 25 yrs service, employees who lacked customer focus, lack of necessary on job training for employees, penalized in your performance review if you are sick more than 5 days a year
Great company with good benefits, stock options. I used to really enjoy working there and developed many skills within the company to successfully advance my career. Over the years however, the company seemed to change from a company which offered lots of on the job training, to bare minimal. I returned back from a year long maternity leave to be thrown into a very busy sales assistant job with almost no training on the new technology that I was supporting. It was a sink or swim situation. Luckily I managed to learn the new skills (through much stress) and did do well. I always received good performance reviews, Employees are unionized and many have upwards of 25 yrs service, this can be a disadvantage for those with less seniority (I had 13 yrs) as they pick all the premium dates for vacation and many were lazy and non customer focused. I found employees with less service to be more dedicated and customer focused, but would always be first let go due to union. One had to deal with many different departments in order to meet customer deadlines, which often created many unforeseen delays. This was very frustrating, as I always shrived to do the best for my customers and had to often hound various departments in order for them to keep the customers deadline (as some employees really weren`t very customer focused.) It would be a great place to work without these somewhat cantankerous employees and with more on the job training.
An incredible learning experience within a great enviornment
Sales representative (Former Employee), Bell, ONMay 13, 2013
Pros: customer interaction, pay, great products, enjoyable co-workers.
Cons: solely commission based.
On a typical day at work, I would travel to different apartment buildings within the province (ON) in order to set up a kiosk in the lobby promoting and selling Bell Fibe products to tenants. I would then fill out an order form for those who were interested. My shift would be daily from 4pm till 9 pm. At the end of the day I would call in all the orders to the head office and follow up with the customer the next day.

During my time with Dynamic Edge Marketing Agrency of Bell Canada I gained several skills and valuable experience that will help me in future positions. I gained experience and excelled at customer service, communication proficiency, time management, teamwork, following instructions, task completion, and how to perform well in a fast-paced work environment.

While working for Dynamic Edge Marketing I was able to develop a understanding, close, and yet professional relationship with my manager. I was also able to get along with all of my co-workers and even developed many friendships that I have still maintained.

The hardest part of this job was the fact that it was solely commission based. Hence, regardless of the number of hard working hours I put in, if a sale did not go through I would receive no money at all for my hard work and time. This made it difficult and frustrating as I would sometimes have nothing to show for my hours of hard work. It also made my weekly pay unreliable and unstable.

On the other hand, the most enjoyable part of this job was having daily interaction with several different people. I truly did enjoy talking to people and assisting them – more... on a daily basis. The customer interaction is what made me look forward to going to work each day. – less
Postive Energetic Professional work environemnt with fabulous employee incentives
Manager (Former Employee), Hamilton , OntarioSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: great incentives
Cons: tons of e-mails daily
- A typical day at work would be spent out on the floor interacting with my team. IE coaching , mentoring, keeping the floor motivated to meet or exceed the goals for the day and making sure that we have fun doing so. Administrative stuff was mostly done first thing on arrival to the office and just before leaving to ensure time was spent with the team

- I worked with a great group of managers. We were very supportive of each other and our teams. We were all very motivated and driven individuals who thrived on being on top. We worked separately yet together. Our success or failures were measured collectively as we seen ourselves as one big team. During our time at Bell Canada were one of their small satellite office and were one of the most successful sites. We had the opportunity to run our site on our own for almost a year and we still managed to be on top without having any senior management.

-What I learned is that you are only as successful as the people you have working for you. That everyone contributes to the teams success.

- The hardest part of the job was the corporate red type that we needed to go through to implement changes as this process could be very lengthy sometimes.

- The most enjoyable part of my job is watching an agent grow and develop and eventually move on to bigger and better things.

- Management at Bell always had an open door policy which was nice. They were always willing to hear any new ideas or suggestions to improve the business. When we had meetings they were fun yet y productive and informative. Everyone always left feeling motivated, supported – more... and ready to handle the challenge of the day/week .Our goals were clear and we always had a collective plan to ensure that met or exceed them. – less
Tedious
Sale Associate (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: good benefits...
Cons: management.
It's a sales position, but the customer service side takes up most of your time. Clients are always coming into the store with billing issues or phone problems... This eats up a lot of your time, making it a frustrating sales environment. Fellow sales reps, due to lack of training, do not sell the right plans or phones to the client based on there needs... The rep will clerk out a standard plan that may or may not work for the client, and they sell a device without showing the client how to use it.... So a few days later the client comes into the store and deals with a different rep and asks a million questions about the device... Wasting valuable sales time for that rep!!! Then a month or two later that same client comes back with billing issues because the sales rep did not sell the right plan!!! Of course the client wants to deal with a different rep to fix the problem cause the first rep was incompetent and the client no longer trusts them.... Thus, wasting even more of another reps sales time...

patients is an asset.. Mainly with incompetent managers!! In the beginning, Bell had some great managers on the island. The management team promoted with-in the company or hired managers from other cellular provider... People who had a good knowledge of the industry..... But over the last 3 years the island management team has been an embarrassment... Bell has been struggling to hire quality managers who can lead the stores to success. The managers they've hired really don't have a clue how to sell and meet sales target, let alone, coach a team of sales consultants and teach them – more... how to meet their monthly targets.... This is the main reason the turn over rate is so high and why Bell keeps having to list these job postings – less
Fast paced work environment
Sales and Service Consultant (Current Employee), Langley, BCSeptember 6, 2012
Working at Bell Canada, I am required to constantly be aware and educate myself on launch of new cellular technology, in order to provide customer's with the correct product knowledge.

I have continuously excelled at making my sales quota at Bell. My success resulted by building a strong relationship with my customers. I contacted them to alert them about new promotions and followed up with them after I they made a purchase.

I have assisted my manager at recruiting candidates for Bell. I have prescreened applications and conducted phone interviews. After I have selected a potential candidate during the phone interview, I have scheduled a face to face interview, which I participated in with the store manager. I have also assisted to train these candidates, once they have been recruited.

I have enjoyed working at Bell, I have gained exceptional knowledge about becoming a successful sales individual. I have learned that it is important to get to know the customer and build a personal relationship. Furthermore, I have enjoyed working in a team environment that allows me to have a friendly competition amongst my team members. Since every individual has their own way of being successful, I have taken advantage of learning from my members about the techniques that they have utilized and have applied these techniques when selling.

My manager has educated me to be successful at recruiting candidates. I have enjoyed being part of the recruitment process at Bell. I was able to apply my skills that I learnt from my manager, as well as, I was able to utilize my skills I have learnt by – more... doing my Bachelors of Administration undergraduate program. – less
People friendly environment
Field Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: your in charge of your own time, and managing your day without a higher power telling you what to do.
Cons: i worked long hours and had no time to socialize outside my job, due to working weekends gradually.
Pick up truck at the shop, load up truck with necessary work items.
Sometimes the team gathers for motivational session, which involves incentives for meeting daily goal, scheduling my day ahead of time given the work on my (board) laptop.
As a field technician my knowledge grew from being a resedential tech which involved installing and repairing phone and internet line, to eventually working on fiber optic services which involved Fiber interet and Fiber T.V. installs and repair.
In my opinion management was well organized, many rules and regulations were followed due to unionized company, my manger in my opinion was open minded and understanding due to different unexpected problems and different situation at every job dispatch.
I had many Tech buddies at work which was a big plus for me through sharing knowledge and problem solving.
In my opinion and in this case many field tech' opinion the most difficult part of the job is is setting up a ladder to climb a 30 foot terminal (post) in the middle of winter blizzard. However working weekends every single week was quite inconvenient for social and family time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was having freedom to manage your own time completing assigned jobs and enough freedom to move on your own paste without a manager under your nose the whole entire shift. Having to meet different people was quite interesting, i believe it help evolve my people skills and helped me become the person i am today.
Fun friendly work environment with excellent management.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), West Vancouver, BC, CanadaJuly 24, 2014
Pros: occasional free lunch if you performed well on a specific day.
Cons: inconsistent scheduling/hours.
A typical day at work consists of greeting new/existing clients who need a new phone, are looking to bundle bell services, technical support with devices, etc. Taking care of back end stuff ie. Inventory check, stock recieving, etc.

Working in sales, I learned it is very important to listen to what the client is saying. Find out what the clients needs are, and find the best solution for them. Sometimes, the latest and greatest product won't be the best for every client.

As far as management goes I've been lucky enough to have awesome managers at all my jobs. This one in particular, as they (3 separate managers since starting at Bell) know just what to do/say to help you improve as a person as well as help increase efficiency/effectiveness.

Co-workers have been great as well. I've gotten to know/learn a lot about the people I've worked with at Bell and their all very nice people. I've made a few friendships outside of work, through the company during my time there.

The most difficult part of the job was the pressure to hit a (high) target in a low traffic area. Although the store and mall had seen a decline in clientele, targets were the same as the year prior to construction (if not higher) in some cases. That being said, I was able to maintain good numbers with the company during my time there.

The job had many enjoyable parts, but, being around genuinely friendly colleagues who weren't out to take your sale, instead work as a team and help team-sell was very important to me. Management knowing when the team needed a morale boost was also very important.
Incompetent Middle Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), AlbertaMay 12, 2015
Yesterday, I was hauled before a kangaroo court, where I was publicly shamed and humiliated in front of my co-workers.

My manager, who started on the job less than 2 weeks ago, brought me to the back room with another store manager and proceeded to loudly and vigorously lecture me for 90-100 minutes. They brought up complaints from my first shift at Bell, and wrote me up for minor infractions. I feel that I was singled out because the new manager wants to surround herself with her own people, and as the newest employee at the store, I'm the easiest one to get rid of.

That being said, she doesn't want to fire me, even though I'm still within my probationary period. I assume it's because the negative blowback from my coworkers would be placed on her.

So instead, I am to be publicly shamed until I quit.

I am incredibly mentally stressed by this, and feel that I am being forced into a hostile work environment. I don't know if I'm being singled out because I'm new, or if it's because I'm too experienced, or if it's something else entirely. I feel that experience is a likely culprit here because I am nearly as experienced as the manager of my store, and as such, am threatening to her position; especially considering that when I was hired, I was told that I was on an accelerated training path to Store Manager.

I have not hidden my ambition, but apparently I should have.

While this experience has drastically soured my opinion of Bell, and will result in my leaving the company sooner, rather than later, I think it is important that people have the correct information – more... before they start working for a company. – less
n/a
NOC Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 14, 2015
BCE Inc. is Canada's largest communications company, providing a comprehensive and innovative suite of broadband communications and content services to consumer, residential business and government customers in Canada.

Powered by industry-leading investments in advanced networks and media content, Bell communications services are offered under the Bell Canada and Bell Aliant brands. These include fibre-based IPTV and high-speed Internet services, 4G LTE wireless, home phone and business network and communications services, including data hosting and cloud computing.

Bell Media is Canada's premier multimedia company with leading assets in television, radio, out of home and digital media, including CTV, Canada's #1 television network, and the country's most-watched specialty channels.

To accelerate Bell’s broadband content strategy, BCE is a significant investor in Canada’s leading sport and entertainment institutions, the Montreal Canadiens and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. The Source is one of Canada's largest consumer electronics retailers with over 650 locations nationwide ,offering Bell TV, Internet and Mobility products and home entertainment, home office and sound products.

The Bell Let’s Talk mental health initiative promotes Canadian mental health with national awareness and anti-stigma campaigns like Bell Let's Talk Day and significant Bell funding of community care and access, research, and workplace initiatives.
Constant change in work environment
SALES SUPPORT BELL CANADA (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONNovember 13, 2015
Pros: Up to date equipment, excellent training, recognition partys, work life balance
Cons: the commute, very strict about tardiness (2 minutes is actionable)
The day to day job was challenging, every day was different. We had numbers to meet for quality, productivity and of course meeting the customers needs. The best part was the challenge of the work, it was never boring and always something new to learn. The people also were a great group and that helped make a particularly difficult day fun.
The most difficult part of the job was having to tell a customer that we would not be able to provide them with what we had promised for various reasons, trees in the way, no product available to their premise or worse we missed their due date because of an error on the order, and then scrambled to get them back in service.
I really loved my job, I hated the commute once the 407 construction started and the drive was taking up no less then three hours of my time a day. That is the main reason I opted to take early retirement.
Management at Bell as in all companies there are good and there are great, I was lucky to have many great managers along the way I learned so much about people and the small things that make a group work well together. I learned about different cultures and how to get along with everyone, and I especially learned how to be my best which is truly the sign of a great manager.
Enjoyable, fast paced, highly productive and newly rennovated break rooms
Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 16, 2014
Pros: benefits, coffee stations
Cons: long hours
The greatest benefit working at Bell was the experience received working in a fast past, constantly changing environment. Dealing with different projects and initiatives and change in direction made me alert and allowed me to develop skills in prioritization and managing expectations.

I learned that you can not please everyone at all times, however providing guidelines and setting work back schedules allowed me to provide all partners involved the progress made on projects as well as completion dates and milestones achieved.

I would spend the beginning part of the day responding to e-mails and handling any outstanding issues or last minute demands.
I would prioritize what I would needed to complete for that day. In conjunction with my weekly plans this helped me with organizing my schedule.

I had the option of taking 30 minutes or 1 hr for lunch and coffee, tea, water was readily available.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was the recognition we received for a job well done, not to mention the colleagues I had were all wonderful.

It was an open environment and we had the ability to speak with VPs, Directors and management freely.

The company took care of providing break room facilities where they provided TVs, ipads, pool tables, and other activities to spend time and relax.
Productive, Results driven with Excellent people
Associate Director, Project Delivery (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2015
Pros: Learnings, Talented people, Forward looking, Shareholder focused
Cons: Not enough celebration of successes
As a Project lead was fortunate to be doing a job, I love that is driving business forward, adding value by leading enterprise wide projects, brainstorming, coming up with innovative ideas, taking vision/idea and translate it into a tangible product/solution so as to drive productivity, simplify process, launch new products and processes.

Every day was an exciting day, new problems to solve, interacting, coaching, with amazing individuals in a broad spectrum of roles, documenting project Charters, defining scope, data analysis, building business case, getting signoff, formalizing into the project at the EPMO, getting funding approval, running pilots, leading project meetings, negotiating, challenging teams to find creative solutions, and following up, proactively mitigating any risks, trade off on solutions, ensuring project is on time and on budget, driving intensive testing prior to any launch, providing status updates to stakeholders including level C execs and EPMO, designing and implementing change management strategy.

With a reputation as a Problem Solver, was often used as a sounding board by other members, vendors and was able to coach and mentor individuals to grow.
Productive and diverse workplace with good employee and employers integration and lunch room where staff relate during breaks.
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONOctober 1, 2014
Pros: free lunches and bonuses for exceptional work done.
Cons: salary doesnt measure to work output.

I learnt exceptional service delivery to clients and also co-operation amongst employees is vital to the progress of the organisation.

Great management, always eager to make the workplace healthier and better for employees which subsequently reduces turnover rate and aids productivity of the workplace.

Wonderful co-workers, eager to utilize their skills towards productivity and also learn new skills available, integrate well with employers and fellow employees.

Hardest part of the job most times lie in dealing with unsatisfied and angry clients, trying to pacify and solve their problems to ensure their utmost satisfaction about services rendered to them,whilst still dealing with the workload.

Most enjoyable part of the job is to me basically is when we I'm able to deliver exceptional customer service and confirm utmost satisfaction from customers and also make new sales which increases the returns of the Company as a whole.
The best of the worst
Pod (Current Employee), GuessJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: work at home, salary and benefits
Cons: everything else
Generally Bell is an OK place to work. It is a bit of dog eat dog. There are people in positions that were promoted because
a)they've been around a long time and
b)their buddy was doing the hiring.
It doesn't mean they are the best person for the job. It is a large company and easy to get lost in the shuffle.
If you don't work in Eastern Canada, you pretty much don't exist. Poor communication across all departments and marginal execution on projects, however that is fairly typical in large companies.
The executive management keep talking about transforming the business from a traditional telco, yet keep reverting back to traditional products to promote to large customers. Not the best way to move ahead. The direction of Bell is unclear to me.
Layoffs are fairly constant, so if you don't have the stomach for that kind of thing, this is not the place for you.
I have been fortunate to receive funding to write exams, attend training and have access to a lab. All of that will contribute to my next position in another company.
The skill level of my peers for the position they are in is below par. They've been at Bell a long time, have little knowledge and tend to stick with each other. I have a low opinion of them. Teamwork/sharing information doesn't compute; keeping their job does.
Big company makes for small employees
Internet Technical Support (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 21, 2012
Pros: decent salary
Cons: employees treated like numbers, faulty systems, minimal training and support
The people at Bell were nice and the pay was reasonable. Unfortunately, the I.T. support systems that I used were often not working, the chain of command is often cloudy and Bell displays a lack of commitment to their employees. When I began to work their, they promised a relatively set schedule with every other weekend off - yet in the space of 9 months I no longer had any weekend off to see my family and my hours were opened, without my consent, to work anywhere between 8am and 12pm, 7 days a week with no consistency. I NEVER saw my family. When I inquired about the change and the promises that were made, my inquiry was shrugged off. People, including my own team leader were fired and nobody was told (I had to wait over a month to find out where my team leader went). All in all, it was a bad experience. Minimal training on faulty systems and most inquiries were never properly answered, either for myself or when inquiring on behalf of a customer. All in all, Bell is a large company where a few people manage to survive long enough to get a cushy job, the rest however get treated poorly until they are forced to leave. If I could give the rating for Work - Life Balance a zero, I would.
The longer you stay...
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 17, 2013
Pros: great benefits and some decent perks
Cons: no work/life balance. you are expected to say "how high" when they ask you to jump.
In the beginning, Bell was good. It seemed like there were lots of paths for advancement. The benefits seemed great and the pay was pretty decent for a CSR.

Oddly enough, the cracks started to appear in 2012 when Bell posted their most profitable year ever. It was a direct result of layoffs and firing middle management (read: cutting the fat). In addition, promises that were made for education reimbursements were denied despite the fact that it was still posted on the internal HR site.

In regards to advancement, as a call centre agent the best you can hope for is to become a Team Specialist, followed by Team Leader. You are encouraged not to apply for all the jobs that interest you (as it makes you seem directionless).

Probably the best way to get into ma-Bell would be to have a target job in mind and hope for an external job posting. Entering at the ground level is fruitless because you are not allowed to progress within the ranks of Bell for a full year until the union contract has been met.

I'm glad I worked for Bell. I had some fun and it was a great experience. I would only go back though if I had some skills other than a call centre.
Employees