BELL MEDIA Employee Reviews in Canada

Bottom line, bottom line, bottom line.
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 21, 2016
The people of the company don't mean much to the board as long as they hit EBITA.
Company doesn't look at individual success, they look at their staff as numbers and when numbers need to be removed, anyone's number can come up. Terrible environment to be apart of. Life draining.
Pros
Pay is reasonable
Cons
Poor culture, work life balance, poor upper management. No direction, lead by fear and favourtism.
Overall a fun and exciting experience
Promotional Street Team Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2016
I worked for Bell Media for about a year and a half, I loved the diversity of the jobs and events I was sent to as it never got boring. I was able to meet lots of people and make connections career and personal life wise. Some shifts were extrememly long and others were sometimes lonely, but one thing I could never complain about is my coworkers and management. Everyone was friendly, positive and always eager to help out in any way possible.
Pros
Meeting bands before their shows, free access to venues and events (i.e. free Chasing Summer wrist bands for when we were off shift)
Cons
Some long and lonely shifts, having to deal with overly intoxicated people at some events (although I never felt unsafe)
Very enjoyable place to work with friendly staff
Social Media Coordinator and On-Air Talent (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 22, 2016
I was learning something new everyday at the station. I would constantly be shown new ways to convey messages, and became more confident in my abilities. My co-workers always treated me well and made me feel part of a team. The long hours were tough some days, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Meeting so many new people and making them happy, whether it was handing out prizes or doing live events, it was a thrill to meet new people everyday.
Pros
Being on air and going to fun events
Radio/television company
Promotions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 4, 2016
Working for Bell Media is great. I got to learn a lot while being on the promotions team.

The management and the co-workers are great. They are there to help you grow as a person
Fun workplace with many great experiences
Board Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 12, 2016
A typical day of work at NewsTalk involved board operating, which includes running on-air advertisements, operating microphones for on-air talent, and editing shows so they can be posted online as a podcast.

I learned a lot from NewsTalk, including how run and produce on-air content while the show was happening live as well as off-air, how to book guests through their publicists, and how to screen calls.

Management was great at NewsTalk! They were always respectful, professional, personable, and always willing to listen whenever I had ideas. Nothing but good things to say about them.

My co-workers were also great! Along with being respectful, professional, and personable, they were fun to be around because of their different personalities and excellent work-ethic.

The hardest part of my job was the constant high-volume of traffic. When working for a talk radio station much of the work you do involves organizing and preparation, whether that be preparing our studios for hosts/guests, or assuring that guests were properly booked and have arrived on time.

The most enjoyable part of my job at NewsTalk was that I was always meeting new people. There were always new guests on the many shows NewsTalk has, and the guests would range anywhere from politicians, musicians, and doctors, to business owners, sports athletes, and actors.
Pros
Great people, opportunities for advancement, constant opportunities to learn new things, free lunches, many free products.
Cons
Inconsistent work hours.
Lots to do, great people, good salary, no advancements
Director / Senior Manager, User Experience (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
I worked in a very small team. There is not a lot of advancement but salary and benefits are good and I was surrounded by great people who cared about the company and the job they did. There is not a lot of mandatory learning, so you learn by doing new things and signing up for learning. There was a lot of opportunities to learn.
Good environment for self-starters.
Director of Digital Business and Partnerships (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2015
As with any large media company, there is a significant level of disruption occurring in the industry, which impacts the work environment.

Depending on the department, there can be a variety of exciting brands, shows, sites and projects to work on.

For those prepared to work hard, work diplomatically with others, and take initiative, positive results can be experienced.
Productive, fun workplace. Colleagues are some of the best people I know.
Host (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive management. From the very start, had a hands on approach to the creative process. Many opportunities to take risks and learn from failures. Always felt like management had my best interests in mind.
Pros
flexible work hours, many learning opportunities
Cons
job security
self managing position with a solid support team
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BCNovember 22, 2015
The company had a wonderful staff that I connected with immediately, though they had gone through some major changes in Management they still were able to provide the right amount of support. I loved the challenges and creativity I was able to develop in the sales and marketing world and I thoroughly enjoyed networking.
Pros
meeting great clients
Cons
lack of creative freedom
Fast Paced and ever changing Industry
Account Manager/ Kiosk Sales (Current Employee) –  Ottawa/GatineauNovember 20, 2015
It's a fast paced industry. I love the fact that there's always a challenge! The telecommunications industry is rapidly evolving.
Pros
Good support team
Cons
Long Hours
Large Company
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
Large company that is always looking to cut costs. Little chance of advancement or salary recognition for performance. Continued staff cuts made for a very uncomfortable work place.
Pros
Strong benefits - eg pension and stock purchase plan
Cons
Big company - Employees become numbers
Great Workplace
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2015
Very supportive and professional work environment. Fantastic work-life balance and benefits. Difficult to advance. Seniority is important and many managers have been with the company for a long time.
great learning experience
Billing Administrator, Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 4, 2015
Made sure the right commercials went to air. Learned different computer programs, learned a lot about the different channels in the network. Multi task and developed my time management skills
Pros
Always on the go
Cons
benefits not as expected
Used to be enjoyable
Digital Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 20, 2015
There was a time when the company cared about its employees and made it pleasant to go to work. But once the company got too big, we all just became a number and slowly our 'perks' were taken away.
Pros
Met some really nice people
Cons
All about the mighty dollar
met new people and a fun and enjoyable place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 11, 2015
greet everyone
warm up truck
load truck/unload truck
get paper work ready
make sure gas tank filled
pick up or drop off goods
Pros
free pop by coke
Cons
only 3 month contract
Room for Advancement and Growth
Manager, Programming/Public Relations/Promotions (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, OntarioApril 27, 2015
Team oriented and courses offered to keep up with the latest developments within the industry. Management are strong. Co-workers are amazing again working together as a team for the best end result. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team environment and giving back to the community.
Pros
Community Oriented
Cons
Re-structuring
Senior News Producer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 16, 2015
Bell Media is a good place to work. Team mates are generally happy to come to work everyday. I like the fast paced and independent workplace.
Astral Media/ Bell Media
Producer/Editor ASTRAL MEDIA/ BELL MEDIA (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2014
It's kind of a tricky one to talk about considering it was Astral Media before it became Bell Media. At Astral, I loved the people, the culture, the team, and most important the job. From Freelancing to full time producer, it was a great experience.
Then in July 2013 the transaction for Astral to be bought by Bell Media went through. The last year and a bit have been very stressful times due to uncertainty. Not knowing the plan of where we're moving, when we're moving, having meetings, having discussions, seeing people being let go, a great team of people not knowing the future. It was quite a stressful time. It led to my departure from Bell Media. Not that I wanted to go, but due to the restructuring of both companies my position was terminated. I still have the passion for film and television both as a producer/editor. I wish I could have had more of an opportunity to show Bell Media, how strong my work ethic and passion goes. But now a, new opportunity has arisen to show the next company what excellent skills I have.
Pros
bell's benefits were great.
Cons
restructuring of bell media with the astral media transaction led to lay off across all channels.
A great place to work
Digital Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 30, 2014
The people are great but it is difficult to move up or be given projects to work on because the team is massive.
Pros
new office, great people
Cons
advancement is tough, bell media digital is not considered as important as broadcast or residential services
A very corporate atmosphere
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BCNovember 23, 2013
Having worked for Astral media during its' transition to Bell media, I can only speak to the staff I worked with at Astral. Our local management was outstanding, but the transition to Bell proved difficult to maintain a steady direction. The most enjoyable aspect of my work was the interaction with my clients and planning marketing campaigns. The most difficult part was coming to terms with the extensive policy and paperwork