BELL MEDIA Employee Reviews

It is a productive and a fun place to work.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 February 2017
I had a great time working with Bell Media. Everybody was so nice, my team was awesome. Working for Bell Media taught me so much that I use in my everyday life.
Pros
Cheaper Phone Bills
Cons
Long hours with unpaid overtime
CTV National News Staff (Current Employee) –  Agincourt, ON22 January 2017
CTV doesn't pay their national news reporters or producers overtime. They instituted a "Double Day" or "Sixteen Hour Rule" that requires us to work 16 hours in one day (yes you read that right, in one day!) before receiving ANY OT. Management don't seem to think they are doing something illegal by violating the Canada Labour Code.

The company doesn't care about work-life balance. Expects staff to work long hours without pay and be on call 24 hours a day.
Pros
Rewarding Journalism, Good audience reach, Flexible vacation days, Bell savings plan
Cons
Long unpaid hours, No overtime, Poor management, Managers scream and yell
Brand Ambassador
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2017
Grabbing necessary equipment to load into brand vehicle. Setting up at the event and promoting contests and engaging with people once you are set up. Towards the end of the shift you create a social media album on Facebook and pack up equipment, head back to the office and write an evaluation about the shift.
on a micro level it is great but on a giant corporate level Bell Media is cold and heartless
Videographer/editor/ENG technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 December 2016
I worked for them for a few years. I moved cities for a better position and was let go in layoffs 4 months later. They did not inform me layoffs would happen prior to my move. heartless
Chaotic, Understaffed, Lack of Vision

-Lack of recognition
-Little mobility
-Competitive
-Yearly reorganizations
-Unrealistic deadlines in understaffed departments
-Digital department struggling to be recognized in TV company
Pros
Coworkers, Employee Savings program, Bell Stock Purchasing Program
Cons
Lack of leadership, Constant Reorganization, Overworked employees
Wonderful coworkers... zero job security
Worker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 October 2016
-No job security
-Management has gone from great, to good, to mediocre.
-Dying market
-Communication between management and staff on the decline
-Co-workers are wonderful
-Learn a lot from the people you work with
-Very accommodating hours
Stable but low paying.
Creative Writer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 October 2016
Bell Media is a stable, corporate workplace. Great team atmosphere, great co-workers and a fun environment. That said, Bell Media is very reluctant to offer raises. And yearly raises are minimal.
Pros
Fun/dynamic work environment.
Cons
Low pay.
My co-workers
Content and Rights Management Operator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 October 2016
While working at Bell Media the people that I worked with were very nice and open to teaching me different aspects of the job. They were willing to give me training in a wide variety of department.
Pros
Free Lunches
Growth, Fun, Opportunities
NATIONAL SALES COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2016
Great company to work for, lots of opportunities for growth, great people to learn from - lots of fun as well. Great mix of work/life balance and great vacation time.
Productive and fun place to volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 August 2016
It's fun place to volunteer. You get experience behind the scenes on set. It's easy to get along with the crew members (directors, etc...) The hours may be long but you get rewarded in experience. I wish there were more workshops to learn pre-production and production process.
Pros
Experience in behind the scenes, learn new things
Cons
Long hours, not enough workshops
Good management and decent teams
Technical QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2016
- Good management
- Decent team dynamic
- Promotes ownership and individuality, as much as team work
- There is still room for growth and areas of improvement to be utilized overall
Good creative team
Designer/Illustrator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON17 July 2016
Design work for CTV News is good on many levels, it allows for creativity, and pushes limits, and a very informative crew, and being informed about the various happenings all over the world from a journalistic point of view make it really interesting.
Pros
Good creative team
Cons
Lcation
Very stressfull environment.
Technical Director in Television (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2016
- Barely any time to get ready to get on the air
- To many hours live on the air with no breaks
- Management not very well trained
- Good and very helpful co-workers
Pros
Good salary and benifits.
Cons
Long hours and barely any breaks.
good employees
VTR Operator (Current Employee) –  toronto21 May 2016
hard working, competent workers. not a lot of room for advancement. Too many cut backs within the company leaves job security a worry for most
Great team and fun environment
TSN Sales (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON11 April 2016
A typical day would include sending out of various couriers to several different agencies (tickets, document, merchandise), answering phones for the Sales Department for Sales Reps that had stepped away from their desk, arrange for meeting for several Reps, filing of contracts, order Grand and Toy supplies for Sales Department.
Bottom line, bottom line, bottom line.
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2016
The people of the company don't mean much to the board as long as they hit EBITA.
Company doesn't look at individual success, they look at their staff as numbers and when numbers need to be removed, anyone's number can come up. Terrible environment to be apart of. Life draining.
Pros
Pay is reasonable
Cons
Poor culture, work life balance, poor upper management. No direction, lead by fear and favourtism.
Overall a fun and exciting experience
Promotional Street Team Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 February 2016
I worked for Bell Media for about a year and a half, I loved the diversity of the jobs and events I was sent to as it never got boring. I was able to meet lots of people and make connections career and personal life wise. Some shifts were extrememly long and others were sometimes lonely, but one thing I could never complain about is my coworkers and management. Everyone was friendly, positive and always eager to help out in any way possible.
Pros
Meeting bands before their shows, free access to venues and events (i.e. free Chasing Summer wrist bands for when we were off shift)
Cons
Some long and lonely shifts, having to deal with overly intoxicated people at some events (although I never felt unsafe)
Very enjoyable place to work with friendly staff
Social Media Coordinator and On-Air Talent (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 February 2016
I was learning something new everyday at the station. I would constantly be shown new ways to convey messages, and became more confident in my abilities. My co-workers always treated me well and made me feel part of a team. The long hours were tough some days, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Meeting so many new people and making them happy, whether it was handing out prizes or doing live events, it was a thrill to meet new people everyday.
Pros
Being on air and going to fun events
Radio/television company
Promotions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 February 2016
Working for Bell Media is great. I got to learn a lot while being on the promotions team.

The management and the co-workers are great. They are there to help you grow as a person
Fun workplace with many great experiences
Board Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2016
A typical day of work at NewsTalk involved board operating, which includes running on-air advertisements, operating microphones for on-air talent, and editing shows so they can be posted online as a podcast.

I learned a lot from NewsTalk, including how run and produce on-air content while the show was happening live as well as off-air, how to book guests through their publicists, and how to screen calls.

Management was great at NewsTalk! They were always respectful, professional, personable, and always willing to listen whenever I had ideas. Nothing but good things to say about them.

My co-workers were also great! Along with being respectful, professional, and personable, they were fun to be around because of their different personalities and excellent work-ethic.

The hardest part of my job was the constant high-volume of traffic. When working for a talk radio station much of the work you do involves organizing and preparation, whether that be preparing our studios for hosts/guests, or assuring that guests were properly booked and have arrived on time.

The most enjoyable part of my job at NewsTalk was that I was always meeting new people. There were always new guests on the many shows NewsTalk has, and the guests would range anywhere from politicians, musicians, and doctors, to business owners, sports athletes, and actors.
Pros
Great people, opportunities for advancement, constant opportunities to learn new things, free lunches, many free products.
Cons
Inconsistent work hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BELL MEDIA. Our community is ready to answer.